As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nobody Expects the [SCOTUS] 5-4 Decision! (Read the OP)

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    We got thin blood down here in Ft. Lauderdale. You'll see some funny shit when it gets to the 60s. Everybody that came down from the north and forgot what cold is, breaks out their winter gear and it's like parkas and shit. Meanwhile, the natives (me) don't even have that, since they don't sell that stuff here. But then, I work outside, so 65 with the wind blowing and I'm basically miserable until I can get inside.

This, I can relate to.

Shave 50 off that temp and you get an idea of what a walk in January is like here.

Well, this year is shaping up to be really warm though (we've only even had flurries like once).

I live in Wisconsin. Just 'cause I can survive the cold through superior human intellect and opposable thumbs doesn't mean I have to like it :P

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    Northerners who complain about the "heat" when it hits the 80's are so funny.

TWO WAY STREET MAN.

EDIT- but yeah, northerns bothering floridians about us being weak to cold is so annoying. Yeah, sorry that we have a lower threshold for lower temperatures when our state is in the upper 90's with high humidity for MOST of the year. Aagggh.
    The times I've wanted to murder a northerner when they say, "ha ha! COLD???" when I'm wearing a jacket or something is ... too high to count. HARUMPH.

I can put on layers when it's cold out. When it's hot, you just sweat. You can't keep taking off layers without getting arrested.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We clearly need to allow nudism in tropical climates

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Unless SCOTUS is gonna hear a case about temperature this year...

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well, there's a congressman trying to browbeat NOAA right now, but I doubt that'll get to SCOTUS so yeah...

Kind of quiet until they start releasing opinions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Acclimation is a real thing, for the record. People who live in hot areas really do get cold when it dips to 60, they aren't being pussies or making it up.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It absolutely is.

It'll hit 40'ish (F) here in later Fall and people start busting out the gloves, hats, scarves and whatnot.

Couple of months with a brisk -22 (F) to -44 (with windchill) and suddenly 23'ish is shorts and t-shirt weather.

Maybe there's enough chatter on weather conditions to have a GST?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Actually if you live in say Minnesota, then you can be mean to everyone north or south since your summers are brutally hot and humid and your winters are mind bendingly cold.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Actually if you live in say Minnesota, then you can be mean to everyone north or south since your summers are brutally hot and humid and your winters are mind bendingly cold.

I grew up in Kansas. Try doing all that without those big lakes to regulate your climate.

Negatives in the winter, regularly 100+ in the summer. I have a theory that prolonged exposure results in brain damage. Which would explain the Brownback thing.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    You know that a lot of people have terrible insulation, poor access to temperature regulation, or have to walk to things, right?

Or you have AC/Heat but it breaks down. No heat in January sucked even if it was in AZ not as bad as no AC in September but at least that time it was under warranty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The real enemy here are people who use Fahrenheit anyway.
    Celsius or forced labour camps imo.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    shryke wrote: »

Disagree. Celsius in the lab, Fahrenheit on the weather channel.

We are smart enough to handle two systems for the same thing in different contexts (well I am, at least. Don't really care if the rest of you get confused).

-edit-

And actually, if we truly were forced to adopt a single one it would have to be kelvin anyway, because some rather important equations don't work in centigrade. And weather reports in kelvin would be dumb and you damn well know it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    WHAT IS HAPPENING IN HERE

*dons robe*

*looks stern*

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    WHAT IS HAPPENING IN HERE

*dons robe*

*looks stern*

I didn't start this tangent but it is of interest to me.

I suspect someone on page 97 is to blame.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    shryke wrote: »

Disagree. Celsius in the lab, Fahrenheit on the weather channel.

We are smart enough to handle two systems for the same thing in different contexts (well I am, at least. Don't really care if the rest of you get confused).

-edit-

And actually, if we truly were forced to adopt a single one it would have to be kelvin anyway, because some rather important equations don't work in centigrade. And weather reports in kelvin would be dumb and you damn well know it.

There's no reason to use Fahrenheit on the Weather Channel. Celsius works better for that exact application (better then Kelvin too) and also works for everything else.

The SCOTUS should force the US to finally get with the fucking program.

shryke on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    If there's any international standard that SCOTUS should force on people, it's A4 paper. Which they actually would be able to have some say about since they regulate the formatting of Amicus Briefs and papers submitted to them. If they switched over to the ISO standards and forced lower Federal Courts to do the same there's a decent change State and Local courts would follow suit, and the legal profession is a pretty big chunk of paper consumption...

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    You know that a lot of people have terrible insulation, poor access to temperature regulation, or have to walk to things, right?

Or you have AC/Heat but it breaks down. No heat in January sucked even if it was in AZ not as bad as no AC in September but at least that time it was under warranty.

No heat in AZ in sept is throw some blankets on levels of suck. Have that happen in wisconsin and you are in the rent a hotel room so you don't die over night and or have all the pipes in your home explode as they freeze up over night.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Acclimation is a real thing, for the record. People who live in hot areas really do get cold when it dips to 60, they aren't being pussies or making it up.

I moved from Illinois to southern California two months ago (and spent 2010-2013 in northern North Dakota). We visited Sea World the first week and I cracked up at the person announcing at the entrance "Check out the polar bear exhibit if you want to find out what 30 degrees feels like."

But I'm ashamed to admit I was shivering in shorts and a t-shirt at 58 earlier this week.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    That's just the Court acknowledging that by the time the case would actually be heard, it would have been too soon to talk about gun control.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Either I'm missing something or that article says it's a good thing? The headline literally notes it as a defeat for the NRA and conservative Justices.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Magus` wrote: »
    Either I'm missing something or that article says it's a good thing? The headline literally notes it as a defeat for the NRA and conservative Justices.

The plaintiffs wanted SCOTUS to overturn Chicago's assault weapon ban. SCOTUS declined to even take the case. Thus the ban remains.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    SCOTUS continues its torture of the notion of personhood: Seems like Kennedy likes the idea that only adult registered voters are people.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That seems a deceptive wording for the issue of the case.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Aye, i wrote it a bit sensationalist (for the purposes of those not reading, they want to deem only registered voters as persons for the purposes of legislature districting), it's still bad news, though, and a decision as such would create a flurry of countersuits since the decision would drastically empower white voters over others.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Aye, i wrote it a bit sensationalist (for the purposes of those not reading, they want to deem only registered voters as persons for the purposes of legislature districting), it's still bad news, though, and a decision as such would create a flurry of countersuits since the decision would drastically empower white voters over others.

Well, yeah, that's kind of the idea.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

eligible voters, not registered voters

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Eligible is where it would start...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Eligible is where it would start...

i'm not really a fan of slippery slope arguments, but sure

but that's not what's being argued in this case, which i think is an important distinction

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Roberts court looking for another top 10 case I see.

I look forward to further increasing the over-representation of rural whites in a mostly uncountable fashion.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Roberts court looking for another top 10 case I see.

I look forward to further increasing the over-representation of rural whites in a mostly uncountable fashion.

i meant they already have the senate

and the house of representatives

they're just being greedy

• Options

Eligible? That would definitely change it a bit, then it would only be an issue with some latino communities and other areas where there are a high proportion of legal aliens. Maybe i read the LATimes article wrong.

• Options

Eligible? That would definitely change it a bit, then it would only be an issue with some latino communities and other areas where there are a high proportion of legal aliens. Maybe i read the LATimes article wrong.

yeah "rural voters claiming to be underrepresented because of immigrants" is the jist of the stories i've heard about it today

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Rural voters claiming to be underrepresented? I don't even.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

Well they don't decide the presidency and all the senate seats, see underrepresented.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

They're arguing that apportionment based on general population, as opposed to population of eligible voters, "dilutes" their franchise.

In short, they believe that children, immigrants, and ex-felons should be meaningless when apportioning.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Strict scrutiny for some, tiny state's rights flags for others.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Maybe we can make those people worth 3/5ths of a person.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

They're arguing that apportionment based on general population, as opposed to population of eligible voters, "dilutes" their franchise.

In short, they believe that children, immigrants, and ex-felons should be meaningless when apportioning.

Perhaps we can compromise. Let's count them as 3/5ths of a person.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
This discussion has been closed.