As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Misleading thread title! I thought Bayonetta 2 was somehow spreading

Bayonetta is not herpes!

But does Baoynetta HAVE herpes? :open_mouth:
    No, don't be stupid.
    No joke there was a I, Robot commercial on tv and Will Smith said "That's just stupid" when I read this. I don't know what this has to do with the Wii U, but I found it amusing.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Isn't it years too late for I, Robot commercials?

• Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    20 hours in and I think I'm done with Pullblox World. My mind can only take so much confusion.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Gave W101 demo another shot using the right stick like you guys were talking about. It was a LOT better, but still a bit rough. Doing the gun and unite hand were hit or miss.

I think my TV is too small for the detail of the game though. I can hardly see some of the powerups (especially if they're half hidden in a garage or something) and the minions they throw at you blend into the scenery at times too. Still will probably pick it up sometime if I see it cheap.

Got Pikmin 3 downloading from Mario Kart 8 promo now, so yay!

edit: Anyone else using the RCA connectors on a tube? If I tell the WiiU I'm using non-HDMI and 4:3, it outputs widescreen to my TV with black bars. If I change it to 16:9, it fills out the TV as it should.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I bought Batman on the eShop.

I'm weak.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I'm weak.

Which one?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

I'm weak.

Which one?

Origins. The digital price drop pushed it into impulse range for me.

• Options

I'm weak.

Which one?

Origins. The digital price drop pushed it into impulse range for me.

Ah not a bad choice IMO. Some people didn't care for it but I actually enjoyed it. Plus it seems like the Wii U version is the least glitchy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Dudes...W101 is such an exhausting experience. But has been well worth it even with the trial and error nature of so many parts of it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It also manages to go crazy in the final act. I mean, absolutely 100% over the top crazy awesome. That doesnt' hurt at all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I don't know if it's an Australian thing, but TV stations here usually put commercials for movies that will be played sometime during the week

Anyway, so with Mario Kart 8, how do I unlock the rest of the characters? Do I just keep playing new map and hope for the best?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I don't know if it's an Australian thing, but TV stations here usually put commercials for movies that will be played sometime during the week

Anyway, so with Mario Kart 8, how do I unlock the rest of the characters? Do I just keep playing new map and hope for the best?

Get gold in a cup, unlock a new racer. Doesn't matter what cc or cup, iirc.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

It does have to be a new gold though, you can't keep doing the same cups to unlock everybody, and cup rankings trickle down so you can't get gold in a cup at 150cc and then unlock a character at 100cc.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular

It does have to be a new gold though, you can't keep doing the same cups to unlock everybody, and cup rankings trickle down so you can't get gold in a cup at 150cc and then unlock a character at 100cc.

You're almost right. The stars trickle down, but not unlocks. You can unlock at 150cc and then do it at 100cc. Otherwise you could be stuck with only 8 unlocked characters.

• Options
    McFlynn wrote: »

You're almost right. The stars trickle down, but not unlocks. You can unlock at 150cc and then do it at 100cc. Otherwise you could be stuck with only 8 unlocked characters.

16 unlocked, actually, 'cause of Mirror Cups. And I think that comes to everyone.

• Options
    Ah, I forgot about Mirror Cups, but still, I'm fairly sure thats how I unlocked everyone by jumping around the classes and I still haven't touched the Mirror Cups.

• Options
    Rumor is that Diddy Kong Racing 2 is in the works and thats why Diddy wasn't in MK8.

Rumor here.

• Options
    Rumor is that Diddy Kong Racing 2 is in the works and thats why Diddy wasn't in MK8.

Rumor here.

Until a source other than some random blog is found I'm not gonna believe this.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Rumor here.

Until a source other than some random blog is found I'm not gonna believe this.

Also, the only other post on the blog is him testing the blog.

• Options
    Hmm apparently there's a neogaf thread with a couple "insiders" that are confirming or at least hinting at Diddy Kong Racing 2.

“DKR2 to be released in 2016, codeveloped by monster and retro. monster is handling the 3ds version while retro takes care of the wii u.”

“It has a longer development cycle than usual because it will be the first ‘unified’ game (ala Smash Bros) produced by Nintendo of America. it is far and away Nintendo of America’s largest project to date. All NoA hands are on deck, including redmond’s NST”
    • Tanabe is a key player and is largely responsible for making this all happen
    • Amiibo’s were critical in reviving NoJs interest in DKR2. internal forecasts show Amiibo’s will sell like hotcakes and nintendo is going to make amiibos of nearly every franchise they have ever owned. one major objective of the game is to boost the popularity of lesser known franchises in order to push amiibos

“I’m gonna have to finally come out and be “that guy” in this thread.
    Never thought this would be something I could say, but I have a line of communication with Monster, and while I can’t confirm 100% it’s DKR2, I can confirm, perhaps well outside my comfort level, that they’re working on something for the WiiU that is pretty much talked about by everyone involved as the most exciting thing to be done on WiiU yet, and that they are certain it’s going to blow people away upon reveal. I genuinely wasn’t told details because while I may want to know, I don’t trust myself with that much knowledge, so it’s likely best they didn’t either.”

“More fuel to the fire; Nintendo might have bought Timber in Oct 2012″

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Excuse my ignorance, but.....why would Diddy Kong Racing 2 be such a big deal?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but.....why would Diddy Kong Racing 2 be such a big deal?

Think of it like this:

Mario Kart = Final Fantasy 4

Diddy Kong Racing = Chrono Trigger

Mario Kart was the Formula, Diddy Kong Racing was the tweak of the formula

Dversed on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    As much as I loved-loved-loved Diddy Kong Racing as a child, it is hard for me to imagine caring about it in a world where we have Mario Kart 8. Even if it is hands-down no-denying-it better than Mario Kart, my main draw towards Mario Kart is that I can throw it up and everyone at a party just gets it. You hand them a controller- literally any controller- and they know what to do. They may not be very good, but they will have fun. And part of that is because they are already familiar with the concept and they are already invested in the characters.

You take out the "Mario Kart" and you decrease that familiarity dramatically, and you can't just toss it on during a party, and the appeal is diminished to me. And I'm not sure Diddy Kong Racing 2 could do ANYTHING to make up the difference to me.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    I get the feeling it will be more of a Super Smash Kart thing.

Even then, though, I would think Nintendo was biting the hand that feeds it because the niche would be so similar to Mario Kart.

I still think Mushroom Kingdom Hearts is the way to go.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Yeah and it's a cult classic. It's not SUPER WELL KNOWN is it? It's a big deal to geeks like us who played it back in the day, but does anyone else care or even know about it?
    I'm thinking this diddy kong racing thing is probably quite likely! I just don't think it would be the biggest project ever because... why? y'know? That's a huge risk when mario kart is out and that's THE racing game for wiiu now. It'd take a lot to top that and even break out of its shadow two years later (nintendo games have LEGS).

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    ALSO "We couldn't put diddy kong in mario kart because he's getting his own racing game!" is the dumbest reasoning ever and sounds like a made-up reason by kids in the playground.
    It'd be like saying Little Mac can't be in smash bros because he's getting a punch out game.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Using that logic...Ridley deconfirmed!
    591c.jpg

Oh, wait...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think DKR can be a little more forgiving and more focused than Mario kart.

No track outs, better item balance, a return to Characters being more important than Karts, a story mode that encourages you to improve your skills instead of dumping you at the next difficulty and saying" good luck "oh and a track editor

Mario kart 8 isnt bad its just a different beast.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I played around with the battle mode on Mario Kart 8 and I have to say it's not very good. Some new maps would have been nice. Of course this is coming from someone who only ever played on Block Fort.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Apparently Diddy Kong Racing was the 6th highest selling N64 game. I find that kind of amazing.

Looking at the list, it strikes me the N64 had a lot a fewer really good games than I thought it did.

Edit: Oh, the list
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games

Such a weird console. Several drop-dead classics; A bunch of weird and sometimes flawed games.

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Oh yeah, they do that in the US as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSe6tvfedb0

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It was basically hyped as Mario Kart meets Mario 64 Rare hadnt invented Krystal yet either

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

Oh yeah, they do that in the US as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSe6tvfedb0
    I can't remember the last time we ever had a shitty voice over for the entire commercial, but then I don't watch as much television anymore it could be happening here.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    The rumors mention the lesser important characters and I really think that's the clencher if this rumor is true. We're talking everyone not Mario and Gang now have a game to sell Amiibos so Nintendo would push this stuff super hot because they expect Amiibos to be really big news.

You can't add 30 minor characters to Smash last minute just to sell toys, but you can to something that focuses on minor characters that doesn't require the balancing of a fighting game. And Nintendo has said before (I think, I might be remembering this wrong) that Mario Kart is Mario Kart and will not become Smash Kart.

Here's Nintendo's avenue to sell the Amiibos of Slippy Toad, Dixie Kong, Sylux, K.K. Slider, and Samurai Goroh.

And you'd be correct in saying that you can mention Mario Kart to most nongamers and they'd know what you're talking about. They also might know what Final Fantasy is, but they sure as hell wouldn't know what Chrono Trigger is. Just because DKR doesn't have a long chain of sequels doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't put effort into making it a big game.

Quical wrote: »
    ALSO "We couldn't put diddy kong in mario kart because he's getting his own racing game!" is the dumbest reasoning ever and sounds like a made-up reason by kids in the playground.
    It'd be like saying Little Mac can't be in smash bros because he's getting a punch out game.

I'm not flagrantly disagreeing with you, but I have to say a Punch Out game is a different kind of fighting game than Smash Bros. Whereas MK and DKR are both kart racers. Extremely similar ones. And it would actually make a little sense if the games were released close together but now that one quote says 2016? Whatever, I guess.

• Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    If this turns out to be true, hopefully Dave Wise does the soundtrack.

• Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    Well Today's Cartwheel deal (15% electronics). finally pushed me to getting a Wii U. It helps that friday was my birthday so I figured why not.

Bought Mario Kart 8 so now I don't know which to choose between Wind Waker and Pikmin 3. Never played either.

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I have absolutely no interest in DKR. I didn't when it first came out, I don't now, and I never will. I really hope Nintendo isn't wasting Retro's talent on it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I have absolutely no interest in DKR. I didn't when it first came out, I don't now, and I never will. I really hope Nintendo isn't wasting Retro's talent on it.

Yeah, after the lackluster DS remake I'm not sure if I'm that interested either.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Honestly, while I will buy a couple, I kind of expect the Amiibos to blow up in Nintendo's face.

Skylanders was a surprise phenomenon, and Disney Inifinity was Disney.

Nintendo might be a little late to the party on this one.

• Options

I loved that game, what are you- oh, wait. DKR, not DKCR. Nevermind.