As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Honestly, while I will buy a couple, I kind of expect the Amiibos to blow up in Nintendo's face.

Skylanders was a surprise phenomenon, and Disney Inifinity was Disney.

Nintendo might be a little late to the party on this one.

I don't know if it's a matter of Nintendo being late to the party. The big thing I'm worried about is Amiibo's lack of appeal beyond "cool, Nintendo figures!" I mean, I'll buy a few because I'm a Nintendo fan and when else is Nintendo going to make a figure of Wii Fit Trainer? Oh I can go online and find Mario figurines up the ying yang, but Wii Fit Trainer?! That's such a niche Nintendo thing, I just have to get one.

But what purpose will my Wii Fit Trainer figurine serve beyond that? Sure it'll work as a CPU fighter I can train up for Smash Bros, but what next? From what I understand, the first set of Amiibo figures for Smash Bros will have limited functionality in other games. Other games will recognize the Smash Bros Mario figure as a Mario figure, but that figure doesn't have the capacity to save much data beyond that one game.

Does that mean I'd have to buy another Mario figure to take full advantage of Amiibo functionality in a hypothetical Mario Galaxy 3? No, fuck you Nintendo, I'll buy your Wii Fit Trainer figurine out of a sense of irony and because I love Nintendo characters but I'm not buying multiple Mario figures because each one only has full functionality with a single game. Skylanders figures only work with Skylanders games but at least I can use my Spyro figure in the original game as well as the sequels.

Maybe I misunderstood and that's not now Amiibo will work. I hope not because it reeks of another half baked Nintendo bullshit idea where they touch on something super cool and appealing but completely whiff on the execution.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    It sounded like other games would recognize "Hey, that figure is [Wii Fit Trainer]" but not much beyond that. I'm hoping they can get creative about how they interact with other games, but again I'll have to wait and see.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Huh?

I can't wait for Amiibo to come out and unlock Smash Kart for me, as they said MK8 already has Amiibo features built into it.

If I can't have a Samus/Kirby/Mega Man/AC Villager racer in MK8 after Amiibo launches, the whole thing is crap.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Kinda misrepresenting my point of view there, Legacy.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I expect Animal Crossing U to have ridiculous amounts of Amiibo support.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Wouldn't be amazing if you could order a custom Animal Crossing villager Amiibo? After all, it wouldn't feel right to use generic villager figurine.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Wouldn't be amazing if you could order a custom Animal Crossing villager Amiibo? After all, it wouldn't feel right to use generic villager figurine.

That would probably be super expensive, but insanely awesome swag. Especially if they actually let you customize your villager to have different skin colors too. That was a big disappointment among my black friends.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Then it goes perfectly with their entire plan for the Wii U.

I don't think they'll be a success until they do something Pokemon related with them.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Then it goes perfectly with their entire plan for the Wii U.

I don't think they'll be a success until they do something Pokemon related with them.

Yeah... and then they'll sell so many it won't matter.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    So what we're saying is that they should totally make a full-fledged Pokemon game for the Wii U. :P

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Have you guys seen this yet?
    uogH4Gd.gif

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kinda misrepresenting my point of view there, Legacy.

No, I was stating MY point of view.

If I can't unlock Smash Kart in MK8(new characters, basically) with Amiibo's...then the whole thing is useless. I wasn't trying to make a point on other peoples points. I guess the 'huh?' might've made it seem that way. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I'm almost certain you won't be able to unlock every Amiibo as a character in Mario Kart. The work involved in models, animations, voices and stats for the small number of people that bought a wii fit amiibo just seems too much. I think it'll be more like the drivatars in Forza. You'll use your Wii Fit amiibo and it'll pick a favourite character (Rosalina or Daisy I guess) and then it'll learn to drive a certain way.

I would love it if we got them as new characters but it seems too good to be true.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I found out yesterday that a friend of mine said he can't trust my good game recommendations anymore after me giving him a lemon recommendation.

That game? Bayonetta. I nearly killed him right where he stood.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I found out yesterday that a friend of mine said he can't trust my good game recommendations anymore after me giving him a lemon recommendation.

That reminds me of when I showed Wind Waker to a friend and his first comment was "Why do the graphics suck?"

• Options

That reminds me of when I showed Wind Waker to a friend and his first comment was "Why do the graphics suck?"

He also said Wind Waker was garbage.

I chose to ignore that statement because... Well I don't even know anymore.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

1ad1804ccb2cc9d9b75206909660f1353c2ed9cb1d7ea23f358bdedc70fa2cb9.jpg

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
      I have played neither game. I'm potentially just as bad.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
      PSN: SirGrinchX
      Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      Holy shit, dat Shash reveal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6TpZPYd58

Spoiler for character revealed:
      Lucina, Robin (boy and girl), Chrom (assist trophy?), and Capt. Falcon!

MNC Dover on
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Well this depends.

I mean, I can understand someone not liking Bayonetta based on characters and story content and atmosphere.

But, if they think that Bayonetta is just a badly designed game, because of the use of the term 'lemon' then my guess would be they suck at the combat and think its the games fault.

• Options
      Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Well, he's not wrong about Wind Waker. I do think you need to reconsider your friendship with this person over that Bayonetta opinion, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    • Options
      Skull2185 wrote: »

Well, he's not wrong about Wind Waker. I do think you need to reconsider your friendship with this person over that Bayonetta opinion, though.

I may have to reconsider my friendship with you!
      Just kidding, I <3 you!

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
      edited July 2014
      So much Fire Emblem love. Awesome.

edit: And hey, they have feet!

Renzo on
    • Options
      Well, ok, garbage may be a little too harsh. But I don't think WW is a good Zelda game, or a good game in general.

Bayonetta is amazing, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    • Options

Well this depends.

I mean, I can understand someone not liking Bayonetta based on characters and story content and atmosphere.

But, if they think that Bayonetta is just a badly designed game, because of the use of the term 'lemon' then my guess would be they suck at the combat and think its the games fault.

He loves the God of War games but hated Bayonetta. I believe he played it on the PS3, however.

• Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Are you sure this guy is a friend?

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      ZythonZython Registered User regular

Well this depends.

He loves the God of War games but hated Bayonetta. I believe he played it on the PS3, however.

The PS3 version is 30 FPS, right? That can cause problems in character action games.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
      Steam: pazython
    • Options

Well this depends.

Ohhhh. That may be the problem then. PS3 version has performance issues, I believe.

• Options
      Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

i will help you do murders on him

• Options
      pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
      Renzo wrote: »

Off model confirmed.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
      Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
      G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      So before I list is on Amazon or eBay, would anyone be interested in purchasing an unused Black Wii Remote Plus from me?

How much you want for it?

Sorry about the massive lateness of this response, @AbsoluteZero, but I was thinking probably $27 shipped, since the cheapest Amazon has 'em for is $32.21 after shipping.

It's from Wii Party U, which means that it won't be in the standard retail box, but I've never used it and it actually has yet to leave the Wii Party U packaging.

maximumzero on
      FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
      He loves the God of War games but hated Bayonetta.

Maybe he's not used to responsive controls or a character that actually dodges when you want them to.

LIVE: CitizenZero
      PSN: CitizenXero
      NNID: TheFennec
    • Options
      WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      Renzo wrote: »

Off model confirmed.

In fairness, the Awakening cast did have feet in cutscenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5EQcLJ9C4

• Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Finally some (hopefully) end to the Bayonetta 1 confusion

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233106-bayonetta-1-2-pricing-and-bundle-info-the-final-word-straight-from-nintendo
      This entire Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2 nonsense has been going on for too long! We put in a request for an official explanation as to what the pricing options and bundle opportunities are for the two games. Today we received official word from our rep. This should be the final word on the matter and 100% accurate because it comes straight from the source.
      The physical/disc package will include two discs: one for Bayonetta 2 and a separate one for Bayonetta 1. With the digital version, consumers will need to make two separate purchases, but the price of both will equal the total for the retail combo version. So you can buy one or the other separately if you want.

So that's a bit different from what we've been hearing, but good news in the end.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      So I'm guessing Bayonetta 2 will be $49.99 on the eShop and Bayonetta will be $9.99 on the eShop?

Or is $39.99 and $19.99 more likely?

Or heck, $44.99 and $14.99?

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      So I'm guessing Bayonetta 2 will be $49.99 on the eShop and Bayonetta will be $9.99 on the eShop?

I think it's more likely they'll both be $59.99 and if you buy one you get a 100% discount on the other, or something.

Taramoor on
    • Options
      edited July 2014

I think it's more likely they'll both be $59.99 and if you buy one you get a 100% discount on the other, or something.

That too makes sense. The only issue being that is would dissuade anyone who just wanted the original Bayonetta for some reason. I think a budget release would net a few sales for folks looking for something to play that don't want to drop $60 on Bayonetta.

maximumzero on
      FU7kFbw.png
    • Options

That too makes sense. The only issue being that is would dissuade anyone who just wanted the original Bayonetta for some reason. I think a budget release would net a few sales for folks looking for something to play that don't want to drop $60 on Bayonetta.

Bayo 1: $19.99
      Bayo 2: $59.99

Buy one get $20 off the other, maybe?

There are dozens of ways they could do it.

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      edited July 2014
      I'm surprised Nintendo didn't go the route like they did for Mario Kart 8 and offer it for registering with Club Nintendo. Would save on packaging two discs but would require space to download it.

ArcSyn on
      4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
      The way I understood that is that if you only want Bayonetta 2, you can get it cheaper on the eShop. Which would be a shocker.

I finished Wind Waker HD the other day, and this hate for Wind Waker is such horseshit. :P For a game with such a cutesy style and gameplay, Ganon is surprisingly subtle and malevolent. It had been so long since I played it (When it was new on the 'Cube), I had forgotten how well done Ganon was in that game.

My copy of Twilight Princess arrived today. I've never played it before, but I've heard it's one of the best of the Zelda games so I'm probably going to be doing that for the next few days and little else.