As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I want Nintendo bonus content, but have no interest in the figurines.

I am specifically talking about the Mii outfits in Mario Kart. I would like those.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Whole lotta assumptions being made here. Amiibo doooom

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    like, if games start feeling incomplete (well, more empirically if weapon/level/character count is significantly reduced) without amiibo content you'd have a point but Hyrule Warriors is anything but
    It's more so concerns about how much of this is cosmetic stuff versus gameplay stuff. You can write off the top as not a big deal but like I mentioned earlier Link has one lightning weapon in the game. The top looks like it'd be a second lightning item, or heck, it may even be a darkness weapon being his only darkness element weapon. Locking that behind a pay wall is altering the game in a negative way for people who don't want plastic toys and don't want cosmetic items.
    Literally only altering it in a positive way for people who want to buy the thing. Is the game balanced with the idea that Link will have a darkness weapon? Absolutely not, there are very few levels with "darkness recommended", fewer still that even let you play as Link, and, as far as I know, none that reward you for playing as Link.
    If they keep all the Amiibo stuff the equivalent of costumes from SF4, color edits in GG, Skullgirls, etc. like everything but the top is then it's not a big deal. If you HAVE to have the costume you buy the stupid toy then box it back up and stash it somewhere, that's fine. But them locking the top behind a paywall with the Amiibo, potentially, is as dumb as DLC characters in fighters. Due to Marvel being a terrible company to contract with, at least for video games, you cannot download two DLC characters for Marvel 3, vanilla and ultimate. Let alone the nonsense with DLC for Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2. Seeing situations like that, and seeing how Skylanders and Disney Infinite are run with their own stupid plastic toys, is concerning when Nintendo announces something like the top being tied to the Amiibo.

Obviously we'll just have to wait and see but there's plenty of precedent for being concerned situations like the top will become more common and annoying.
    Do you think Nintendo will run into licensing issues with... Nintendo characters? And the thing with unlocks like the top is they actually work way better than Skylanders/Disney Infinity, with those games (and Smash Bros) you're storing data on the figure and any new games with new stuff to store requires new figures but with unlocks the game is just reading an identifier on the figure that says "Hello I am Link" and it takes that and says "what do we do with this Link fellow? Ah! The top" and it unlocks the top for you. Every new Link figure, no matter what it does or doesn't do, will have the same "Hello I am Link" identifier so every future Link figure will unlock the top. Now, any Skylanders type game will require specific (new) figures because it needs to store data in a specific way (though if they were generous they could tie the unique identifier amiibos certainly have and just store level up or whatever data locally)
    None of that fixes the top being hidden behind a ~$15 plastic piece of crap as far as we currently know. You're also assuming there won't be different lines of Amibos and they will always have a the same "Link" chip regardless of pose, rareness, whatever if they take off.
    There will be different lines of amiibos with different Link chips that can store game specific data but they will all have the same Link identifier, they explicitly said that when they first talked about what amiibos do
    I get you can write off the Marvel contract concern, but you can already see other annoying things possibly being locked behind Amibos in the future. Bayonetta 1 and 2's Nintendo costumes aren't purely cosmetic, they alter minor to major things within. The wicked weaves from Bowser when using the Peach and Daisy outfits seem solely cosmetic, I haven't checked, but given how other characters have stronger weaves it may alter the damage, stun, or something on top of the aesthetic for Bayonetta; the Samus costume gives you some great thematic alterations but probably changes for flair rather than anything that matters with the bomb drop on jump in ball form, the double jump causing hit stun and/or damage, the charge shot, etc; the Starfox costume turns the jets into Arwings and turns the jet segment in the game into a Starfox-like segment instead. None of those really alter the game in a meaningful way outside of cosmetics. However, the Link costume gives you the parry accessory for free allowing you to use two other accessories instead of just one netting you three total accessories. That changes the balance of the game, and depending on how serious you want to get into the engine, directly related to fun and gameplay. Hiding that behind an Amiibo isn't on the level of the top, since the Link costume's Master Sword isn't a unique moveset just the katana which is already in the game, but it does have an effect on the gameplay while being tied to costumes matching a lot of the announced uses for the Amiibo.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully it's not a big deal and it's just something to talk about since we finally got some Amiibo news.

And I guess that's where our opinions just differ, I see no problem with stuff like the Bayonetta costumes being behind Amiibos. Like, it's a single player game, what do I care if someone's game is easier because they bought a thing? Now if amiibos gave you, like, extra speed in Mario Kart or broken weapons in Splatoon then we've got issues but affecting game balance in a single player game? That just doesn't matter. How does the bonuses someone else gets from the Link costume affect your own enjoyment of the game or mastery of the systems? Keep in mind that because of how budgeting works the options aren't "locked behind amiibos or free" but "locked behind amiibos or they don't exist" and take Bayonetta as proof of this because the announcement of the costumes came after (at the same time as?) amiibos and it's launched pretty darn close to them, if they were going to put content that was originally planned to be just part of the game behind amiibos they would have done it here, all of the Bayo costumes minus Daisy are represented by first wave amiibos

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    like, if games start feeling incomplete (well, more empirically if weapon/level/character count is significantly reduced) without amiibo content you'd have a point but Hyrule Warriors is anything but
    It's more so concerns about how much of this is cosmetic stuff versus gameplay stuff. You can write off the top as not a big deal but like I mentioned earlier Link has one lightning weapon in the game. The top looks like it'd be a second lightning item, or heck, it may even be a darkness weapon being his only darkness element weapon. Locking that behind a pay wall is altering the game in a negative way for people who don't want plastic toys and don't want cosmetic items.
    Literally only altering it in a positive way for people who want to buy the thing. Is the game balanced with the idea that Link will have a darkness weapon? Absolutely not, there are very few levels with "darkness recommended", fewer still that even let you play as Link, and, as far as I know, none that reward you for playing as Link.
    If they keep all the Amiibo stuff the equivalent of costumes from SF4, color edits in GG, Skullgirls, etc. like everything but the top is then it's not a big deal. If you HAVE to have the costume you buy the stupid toy then box it back up and stash it somewhere, that's fine. But them locking the top behind a paywall with the Amiibo, potentially, is as dumb as DLC characters in fighters. Due to Marvel being a terrible company to contract with, at least for video games, you cannot download two DLC characters for Marvel 3, vanilla and ultimate. Let alone the nonsense with DLC for Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2. Seeing situations like that, and seeing how Skylanders and Disney Infinite are run with their own stupid plastic toys, is concerning when Nintendo announces something like the top being tied to the Amiibo.

Obviously we'll just have to wait and see but there's plenty of precedent for being concerned situations like the top will become more common and annoying.
    Do you think Nintendo will run into licensing issues with... Nintendo characters? And the thing with unlocks like the top is they actually work way better than Skylanders/Disney Infinity, with those games (and Smash Bros) you're storing data on the figure and any new games with new stuff to store requires new figures but with unlocks the game is just reading an identifier on the figure that says "Hello I am Link" and it takes that and says "what do we do with this Link fellow? Ah! The top" and it unlocks the top for you. Every new Link figure, no matter what it does or doesn't do, will have the same "Hello I am Link" identifier so every future Link figure will unlock the top. Now, any Skylanders type game will require specific (new) figures because it needs to store data in a specific way (though if they were generous they could tie the unique identifier amiibos certainly have and just store level up or whatever data locally)
    None of that fixes the top being hidden behind a ~$15 plastic piece of crap as far as we currently know. You're also assuming there won't be different lines of Amibos and they will always have a the same "Link" chip regardless of pose, rareness, whatever if they take off.
    There will be different lines of amiibos with different Link chips that can store game specific data but they will all have the same Link identifier, they explicitly said that when they first talked about what amiibos do
    I get you can write off the Marvel contract concern, but you can already see other annoying things possibly being locked behind Amibos in the future. Bayonetta 1 and 2's Nintendo costumes aren't purely cosmetic, they alter minor to major things within. The wicked weaves from Bowser when using the Peach and Daisy outfits seem solely cosmetic, I haven't checked, but given how other characters have stronger weaves it may alter the damage, stun, or something on top of the aesthetic for Bayonetta; the Samus costume gives you some great thematic alterations but probably changes for flair rather than anything that matters with the bomb drop on jump in ball form, the double jump causing hit stun and/or damage, the charge shot, etc; the Starfox costume turns the jets into Arwings and turns the jet segment in the game into a Starfox-like segment instead. None of those really alter the game in a meaningful way outside of cosmetics. However, the Link costume gives you the parry accessory for free allowing you to use two other accessories instead of just one netting you three total accessories. That changes the balance of the game, and depending on how serious you want to get into the engine, directly related to fun and gameplay. Hiding that behind an Amiibo isn't on the level of the top, since the Link costume's Master Sword isn't a unique moveset just the katana which is already in the game, but it does have an effect on the gameplay while being tied to costumes matching a lot of the announced uses for the Amiibo.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully it's not a big deal and it's just something to talk about since we finally got some Amiibo news.

And I guess that's where our opinions just differ, I see no problem with stuff like the Bayonetta costumes being behind Amiibos. Like, it's a single player game, what do I care if someone's game is easier because they bought a thing? Now if amiibos gave you, like, extra speed in Mario Kart or broken weapons in Splatoon then we've got issues but affecting game balance in a single player game? That just doesn't matter. How does the bonuses someone else gets from the Link costume affect your own enjoyment of the game or mastery of the systems? Keep in mind that because of how budgeting works the options aren't "locked behind amiibos or free" but "locked behind amiibos or they don't exist" and take Bayonetta as proof of this because the announcement of the costumes came after (at the same time as?) amiibos and it's launched pretty darn close to them, if they were going to put content that was originally planned to be just part of the game behind amiibos they would have done it here, all of the Bayo costumes minus Daisy are represented by first wave amiibos
    Bayonetta 2 has a multiplayer mode where you directly compete against another person to see who gets the better score. Having access to three accessories, the parry accessory being one of the best in the game, has an effect on this compared to someone running a costume that only allows two accessories. Like I said, I'm using Bayonetta as an example because the costumes are in line with that they announced, not that I'm assuming Bayonetta and Amiibos are anyway related going forward. Locking those costumes as they are behind the figures, which they could easily do given the first wave of figures, would have changed multiplayer content by offering an advantage to the player with the Link Amiibo.

Different strokes and all but I've yet to see a compelling reason offered for any gameplay DLC like the top being stuck behind an Amiibo, if it even ends up solely stuck behind the Amiibo. If you need more than one for new gameplay the cost adds up quick for something you may only want or care about for one game. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it though, especially if they confirmed every character will always have the same chip so Link will always open Link material no special edition/limited release nonsense for gameplay stuff. I think Amiibos are a cool idea and interesting way to give people some cosmetic stuff I'll never care about, it's just disappointing to see something like the top without an asterisk to say it's limited time for the Amiibo or more information coming regarding gameplay changing stuff.
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Whole lotta assumptions being made here. Amiibo doooom
    If you read people being bummed they might need to buy some crappy pieces of plastic to get gameplay altering things rather than being able to go cool, glad you guys are actually getting a lot more cosmetic stuff from your toy than expected as doom and gloom instead of a talking point to kill time then sure, keep on keeping on.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    From Miyamoto:

Future iterations of Nintendo's Amiibo figure line will include cards, the company revealed during last week's investor Q&A. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata and longtime designer and producer Shigeru Miyamoto discussed the company's near-field communications initiatives, Miyamoto stressing that Amiibo "can take forms other than figures." Miyamoto offered Amiibo-style cards as an example, hypothesizing a game that would require players to pass "several cards over the NFC reader/writer" in the Wii U Game Pad.

"I cannot discuss any of the details today, but Amiibo has the potential to propose new ways to play card games," Miyamoto said. The designer also brought up Animal Crossing as an example of a brand that could receive Amiibo compatibility in the future. Miyamoto noted that Nintendo plans on launching "smaller and even more affordable Amiibo figures in the future."

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Smaller and more affordable? So instead of Link propped up by a stick of butter, we will just get the stick of butter?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

I don't think anyone is expecting new gamplay changing elements (like the spinner) to be free, I'm miffed that I can't buy it for 2-3 bucks online.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So, wait, are we upset that Amiibos don't offer enough content, that they hide too much content, or what?

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I think people are upset about different things.

I think people who like the idea of Amiibo wish that they offered a bit more content, because as-is, $15 is a bit steep for some alternate costumes and a new weapon in Hyrule Warriors.

People like me, who don't particularly like Amiibo, would rather they not exist and are not too pleased to see content locked behind them. Thus far Nintendo hasn't announced any significant content lock for me to actually get upset. I suppose the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors would be the closest, but I don't really care about that game so its hard for me to be upset about it. When locked content hits a game I care about I will gripe, though, don't you worry.

But at the end of the day, you can't make everyone happy, so whatever. I'll continue to enjoy the games I do play.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    The people that want Amiibos want them to do more and the people who don't want Amiibos want them to do less, basically.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I just want the Amiibos. What they do is just a bonus.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I guess the best case scenario here (and the most likely one) is that Nintendo uses these things as supplements to more substantial DLC packs that are available to everyone.

Once they start designing games that have the functionality built in from the get go, that would give us a better idea of what they hope to achieve. Right now, they're sort of working backwards by patching the functions into older games just to sell people on the idea.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Here's what I learned from the Direct: The plural of Amiibo is Amiibo apparently.

Yep. And it's a lowercase "a," if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, branding... making the English language its bitch since before any of us were born.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Putting my hand up as someone who just straight up does not understand Amiibo.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

The spinner is indeed a lightning weapom, so you're not really at a gameplay disadvantage if you don't get it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Smaller and more affordable? So instead of Link propped up by a stick of butter, we will just get the stick of butter?

"Nin-ten-do, two sticks of butter in one!"
    If you are confused you might be too young

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
      I am probably gonna grab a Kirby amiibo and that's it. When else am I gonna be able to get a figure of that lil puffball? If it unlocks cool stuff in a bunch of games down the road, then yay. If not, oh well I got a neat Kirby figure.

I think the trouble is people are seeing that big lineup of unlockable costumes in MK8 and hearing "if you don't buy all the figures you are missing out on all this stuff!" and that's the wrong way to look at it IMO. You get the figure you want, and it comes with bonus stuff. Don't go hunting the bonus stuff, that way lies madness. It's like trying to collect every preorder DLC costume from various retailers. :I

Oh brilliant
    • Options
      SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
      I'm probably going to buy the Peach figure, leave it in my office forever, and not even think about using it with any games.

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
    • Options
      MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
      edited November 2014
      See what I think when I see Amiibo is "Oh Nintendo are doing monkey see monkey do again. I wonder when they'll graduate to monkey invent again. I liked them better when they did that."

They made a shit ton of money by going out on a limb.

All they've done this generation is play it safe. Chasing after the fairy tablet gold and now the fairy skylander gold.

And it's costing them.

Really badly.

They really need to just hit those brain cells with a hammer and remember when they thought up new and amazing shit.

Morninglord on
      (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    • Options
      WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      I'll probably get Captain Falcon (because I don't believe we'll get any other F-Zero ones), maybe Samus and I'll wait for more Fire Emblem amiibos to appear before picking one.

• Options
      See what I think when I see Amiibo is "Oh Nintendo are doing monkey see monkey do again. I wonder when they'll graduate to monkey invent again. I liked them better when they did that."

All they've done this generation is play it safe. Chasing after the fairy tablet gold and now the fairy skylander gold.

And it's costing them.

Really badly.

They really need to just hit those brain cells with a hammer and remember when they thought up new and amazing shit.

Nintendo aren't being creative? Have you played the games they released in the last couple of years?

• Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      Putting my hand up as someone who just straight up does not understand Amiibo.

Its skylanders . Except its Nintendo not Activision so the games are fun and the figures are simply bonus stuff. There will be an Amiibo focused game at some point

And it's costing them.

Really badly.

Its not costing them at all Amiibo preorders topped amazon the week they came out.

I get not liking them. Im indifferent myself but this oh they're desperate crap is stupid. The general public wants them and theyll make crazy money just like skylanders and infinity

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      Maz- wrote: »

And it's costing them.

Really badly.

Nintendo aren't being creative? Have you played the games they released in the last couple of years?

There are plenty of creative games on every console. I am utterly and absolutely aware that nintendo can and do make amazing game all the time.

If this was enough the Wii U would be a success.

Clearly it is not enough.

The Wii showed that they can make a hugely successful console. Their problems have nothing to do with the quality of their games and everything to do with their business decisions outside of those games.

As someone who recently bought this console for a third party game, I've been watching this thread and I see you guys having a lot of fun with your Nintendo characters you know and love, but I don't see anything that interests me as a neutral party.

Nothing at all.

• Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I'd get a Toon Link figure if he stands on his own.

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      I would like a Bayonetta amiibo. Instead of a stick of butter she could be held up by a stripper pole. Made of butter.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      ViskodViskod Registered User regular
      And there won't ever be. You buy a Nintendo console for Nintendos first party titles now. Bayonetta was just a beautiful exception.

I also hate this Amiibo bullshit. If scanning figures gave you say bonus materials and currencies, or helped you unlock things faster that'd be fine with me, but if they start locking actual gameplay items behind an Amiibo wall, then no, fuck you.

If you can unlock Links Spinner weapon any other way in Hyrule Warrios other than scanning his Amiibo, then that's fine. But if the only way to get it is to buy his figure? Then that's pretty frustrating for someone who really doesn't want them at all, but now feels compelled to have to buy them.

• Options

And it's costing them.

Really badly.

There are plenty of creative games on every console. I am utterly and absolutely aware that nintendo can and do make amazing game all the time.

If this was enough the Wii U would be a success.

Clearly it is not enough.

The Wii showed that they can make a hugely successful console. Their problems have nothing to do with the quality of their games and everything to do with their business decisions outside of those games.

As someone who recently bought this console for a third party game, I've been watching this thread and I see you guys having a lot of fun with your Nintendo characters you know and love, but I don't see anything that interests me as a neutral party.

Nothing at all.

Play 3D World. Play Mario Kart.

If you don't have fun playing those games then..I don't know what to tell you.

• Options
      Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
      Not even Wonderful 101?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
      PSN: SirGrinchX
      Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    • Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      Viskod wrote: »
      And there won't ever be. You buy a Nintendo console for Nintendos first party titles now. Bayonetta was just a beautiful exception.

I also hate this Amiibo bullshit. If scanning figures gave you say bonus materials and currencies, or helped you unlock things faster that'd be fine with me, but if they start locking actual gameplay items behind an Amiibo wall, then no, fuck you.

If you can unlock Links Spinner weapon any other way in Hyrule Warrios other than scanning his Amiibo, then that's fine. But if the only way to get it is to buy his figure? Then that's pretty frustrating for someone who really doesn't want them at all, but now feels compelled to have to buy them.

The spinner is not in anyway required to beat the game. If youre that obsessive that not having one of like eleven weapons in the game bothers you you wete buying them anyway.

For the record Amiibo do in fact work like you said

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Hyrule Warriors is one game where this sort of thing really doesn't matter. I mean, I appreciate the addition, but I think any Hyrule Warriors player can recognize the relative uselessness of the spinner.

With current DLC there are 16 characters in the game, and 9 alternate weapons for some of those characters, giving us 25 weapons total. The game was already well balanced and loaded with options before they added 3 more characters and Link's "horse" weapon. There are so many choices that I won't even use most of the weapons unless forced to by a battle map's restriction. I already don't use Link's gauntlets or horse, and I don't use Lana's spear when I can avoid it. I don't like playing as Darunia or Ruto or Agatha or Midna most of the time. The only reason I play them is because adventure mode requires me to.

TBH I'm probably not even going to finish adventure mode because it is hundreds of hours of pointless grind. :) A new weapon that doesn't even have any forced usage, I'm probably going to try out once, say "neat," and then never use it again. Of all the characters, Link already has too many goddamn weapons (spinner will make it 7, and most characters only have 1). And above all, the game's not online so it's not like some people get any real advantages over others.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      I could understand the outrage a bit if it gave, like, Agitha a new weapon that turned her from the worst into the best character in the game, but as it stands, Link has plenty of fun and powerful weapons already.

I just don't get why are people are still upset about it. It's DLC that works across multiple games plus a neat little figure for a reasonable price. Don't like it? Fine, but getting all angry about it is just silly.

• Options
      Morninglord's point about the quality of games not being directly responsible for console sales is completely valid. The Wii was my least favorite Nintendo console, and as many people have said the runaway sales success was mostly due to novelty and having the thing show up on morning talk shows all the time and so on. The PS4 sales success has a lot of factors behind it apart from the great games it has to offer. If games were really all that mattered we'd all be PC gamers with access to an incredible library stretching back decades.

That being said I think the games have happened on the Wii U, at least for me. Most people don't buy a Nintendo console to pass up all the 1st party games. This has been the situation for a long while now, it's just going to be a lot worse this time around it seems.

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

• Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      Personally, I'm not sold yet on amiibo simply because I haven't heard anything that has made me ready to buy one. I'm sure that eventually they'll announce something I really want - like maybe sprite sets for that Mario Maker program themed after the characters - and I'll end up picking up one or two. By that time, there will be a crap ton of games to use them with and it'll be a neat time just going back and replaying stuff.

That's one thing I think will be great, if Nintendo is willing to patch games after the fact to use amiibos, which they've already said they will, you could end up buying Mario next summer and having a reason to go back and play a dozen different games just to get all the neat bonuses they are giving out.

I understand it if someone is upset that they want that one weapon unlockable for Link that $15 seems steep, but I think Nintendo is counting on the fact that the people that buy their consoles generally buy 75% of the 1st party releases. Most Nintendo console owners are fans of Nintendo games and will see multiple fun bonuses from getting their favorite characters. So far I think they are on the right track.

I need to build a little shelf for my Infinity figures already - maybe I'll leave a space...you know, just in case :)

• Options
      I could understand the outrage a bit if it gave, like, Agitha a new weapon that turned her from the worst into the best character in the game, but as it stands, Link has plenty of fun and powerful weapons already.

I just don't get why are people are still upset about it. It's DLC that works across multiple games plus a neat little figure for a reasonable price. Don't like it? Fine, but getting all angry about it is just silly.

I think it comes down to people wanting a 100% complete game, with every possible option available to them, even if they're not going to use all those options.

But that's really something not worth chasing in the Dynasty Warriors series. This is par for the course. $190 for all of that, mostly costumes. None of it really important except to extreme fans of the series.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      ViskodViskod Registered User regular
      Mr_Grinch wrote: »
      Not even Wonderful 101?

Nintendo didn't make The Wonderful 101.

I feel you're all making hilarious excuses.

It's irrelevant that the person the weapon is for already has lots of weapons. If anything discussing the type of game that Hyrule Warriors is specifically makes the case worse, not better. Because Hyrule Warriors is a mindless action game that focuses heavily on grinding and the only real way to break up the action and get some variety is through giving its cast of characters different weapons that alter their style of attack.

It's a non-cosmetic actual gameplay item, locked exclusively to that figure. That's a shitty thing to do. Period.

Now if there was any other way to get the Spinner in the game, and buying the Amiibo just made it quicker and easier I'm fine with that.

Locking costumes, and bonuses to currency/material gains behind Amiibos I'm also fine with.

• Options
      I feel you're all making hilarious excuses.

Well, I mean...I feel like you're getting hilariously upset.

So there you go. A couple of people feeling things.

• Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      I suppose it, on some level, depends on how one sees the concept.

Whether you see it as a figurine with a bonus, a paywall that requires you clutter up your house, or a DLC code with a different shape, will probably lead to different conclusions about the concept.

• Options
      I would never use a different weapon to "break up the action" because that would mean using a sub-optimal weapon that is slightly more difficult to use or slightly less powerful which just makes the grind take a lot longer. I'm going to use the weapon with the highest attack power and best set of abilities on it every time to get through that grind faster.

• Options
      You guys make Hyrule Warriors sound like a blast, lol

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

• Options
      You guys make Hyrule Warriors sound like a blast, lol

It's really fun with two players, I played it with a friend at his house a couple days ago and it was great.

The veneer between "game you're making enjoyable progress in" and "numerical grind you are doing for no purpose" is extremely thin though. I got a third of the way through the adventure mode and I might be done with that, but it was pretty good while it lasted. I dunno, I might go back later, it's some nice mindless beat-em-up.