As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Raid 2 and other, inferior, [MOVIES]

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Sooner or later, 2014 will itself be devoured.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Guys. The Raid 2. OHMYGOD

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    AtomicTofuDarth WaiterDonovan PuppyfuckerHermanoBroloDHS OdiummasterofmetroidMr Fuzzbutt
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Guys. The Raid 2. OHMYGOD

This was the expected reaction, yes.

I liked the movie a lot

But then

The train/baseball bat/bamboo fight happened and I fell in love. Seriously, the shots in the train were something from a Tarantino movie.

There were a few points where I had to ask a friend what was going on in the plot because I was so distracted by the incredible visuals/locations/shots that I missed reading some of the dialogue. Seriously, whoever did the set design was incredible.

And I was told that Mad Dog was actually the fight choreographer! THAT IS AMAZINGLY COOL.

Steam
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I liked the movie a lot

But then

The train/baseball bat/bamboo fight happened and I fell in love. Seriously, the shots in the train were something from a Tarantino movie.

There were a few points where I had to ask a friend what was going on in the plot because I was so distracted by the incredible visuals/locations/shots that I missed reading some of the dialogue. Seriously, whoever did the set design was incredible.

And I was told that Mad Dog was actually the fight choreographer! THAT IS AMAZINGLY COOL.

Mad Dog and Rama, if memory serves.

Guy who played Mad Dog had a role in this one too, as the divorced assassin who never got to see his kid. I mean, if you didn't notice.

Cello
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I liked the movie a lot

But then

Mad Dog and Rama, if memory serves.

Guy who played Mad Dog had a role in this one too, as the divorced assassin who never got to see his kid. I mean, if you didn't notice.

I definitely noticed

And it made his scenes that much more badass.

Steam
    Hermano
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    In the case of D.E.B.S., it was particularly justified, since the fans being serviced there had been previously been entirely neglected. I mean, prior to that, what action movie could a teenage lesbian say was explicitly made for her?

Oh yes, because the characters in the film meant that it was aimed at teenage lesbians.

NO.

I'm sure some teenage lesbians watched it and enjoyed the male-gaze-iness of it. I can't deign to speak for that particular demographic, but I feel like there's a pretty good chance many ofg them would also have felt like it was crap.

D.E.B.S. is for leery guys to perve on women. No more, no less. It's not some progressive bastion of feminist film-making just because some of the characters are gay.

Ya know, I'm sure this was a shitty, so I'm not defending it, but...

I mean, do lesbians like to check out women? It seems like they might? But, I mean... maybe that's just a hetero dude thing.

It's just... is it always male-gaze? Is there such a thing as lady-gaze?

According to Lip Service, Glaswegian lesbians are very concerned over whether a lady is "fit" or not. Still not exactly sure what being "fit" entails.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fit
    The British version of Hot.

Lesbians are known to use the army physical fitness test to determine fitness, with the most emphasis being put on your 2-mile run time. You may think you're attracted to someone, but until you see the numbers you just can't be sure.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    eddizhereMuddypaws
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like to pretend that mad dog survives the first movie and it's revealed that he's actually the character revealed in the Raid 2 doing all of this shit for his family.

I will also adjust my head cannon if there is ever a raid 3.

CelloHermanoBrolo
    Blake T wrote: »
    I like to pretend that mad dog survives the first movie and it's revealed that he's actually the character revealed in the Raid 2 doing all of this shit for his family.

I honestly thought that was what happened here, and I am going to keep pretending it's true and no one can stop me

Steam

I honestly thought that was what happened here, and I am going to keep pretending it's true and no one can stop me

What about Rama?

• MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Will you never slake your thirst for awesome celebrities, 2014!

Peter Dinklage, freak blimp accident. Calling it now.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

What about Rama?

Rama is, of course, a total badass. Seriously well acted part. I liked Uco's actor a ton too. Though I had a pretty soft spot for all the grunts who looked like they were basically No More Heroes assassins. The glasses girl was soooooo cooooooool

Steam
    NeoToma
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I think for me the Raid 2 was a bit too bloated to really love it beyond an appreciation for well directed and framed badassery, but I felt the main boss and his son really carried it. Like there were moments with those two characters that elevated the film to "this would be engaging even if the movie didnt have awesome kicking"

Prohass on
    DracomicronCello
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah it's a funny thing when the biggest complaint about the movie is, there is too much well acted and enjoyable plot.

GethProhasschiasaur11EtchwartsDonovan PuppyfuckerCelloMr Fuzzbutt
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    How was the response to the new Godzilla in Japan? Like the opening scene with the reactor and the abandoned city due to radiation poison would've been pretty close to home, disturbingly so. Did it do well/was it critically well received?

Prohass on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I dunno but i found this quote:
    Why haven’t we seen Godzilla in a Toho movie in the past decade?

They made a 50th anniversary movie [Final Wars in 2004], and then they put the character in retirement because frankly it isn’t all that popular in Japan anymore. I think most people there view it as a retro, pop-culture icon. I think Japan will start making them again eventually. This movie will probably stir some interest.

I'm now interested in knowing the response too.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    From Wikipedia
    Its opening weekend of July 25–27 in Japan netted $6.95 million, considered a "robust debut", and pushed its box office gross over $500 million. It was the number one movie in Japan, and had the second-highest opening weekend in Japan of any foreign film in 2014.

Not sure about their critical opinion, though.

Gvzbgul
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    the japanese must think it's weird that we like godzilla so much

i wonder what else is really popular over here that's passé in japan

Crimson King on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Anime.

knitdanTheStigAJREtchwartsOdinSassoriWeedLordVegetaZonugal
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I thought anime was less passe and more "oh god make it stop".

sig.gif
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I forget who recommended it, but Blue Ruin is now on Netflix. Will be watching it as soon as I can!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Godzilla comes out on bluray next month.

I can't wait to watch that again. :)

Especially as this time we'll be able to skip through all the boring human bits and just watch the parts with actual monsters.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Yeah it's a funny thing when the biggest complaint about the movie is, there is too much well acted and enjoyable plot.

The plot in Raid 2 was cliche beyond belief, though, and mainly just an excuse for action sequences. I didn't really like the movie, be in the minority as I may - it felt hollow and like a long video game without the justifcation the first film had for long fights.

Johnny ChopsockycaligynefobBroloDarth Waiter
    That is not even a believable fake post.

Darth Waiter
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I thought the plot was better than I expected. I felt genuinely emotionally invested in Rama's situation and I also liked the part centered on the machete-wielding assassin a lot. Of course much of it was cliche, but there's also fun to be found in that. The movie certainly didn't feel like it was produced on an assembly line, it has its own character.

HermanoBrolomasterofmetroid
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The Raid 2 was certainly bloated and over-long. But it's the kind of bloated that comes from being a murder pinata. The moment you start checking your watch, oh my god look at what happened to that guy's face.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I didn't think it was bloated at all, honestly. Yeah it takes longer to get into than the first one, but that has the effect of really building up to a massive pay-off in the end. Yeah there's a lot of plot and long, sweeping camera angles with muted dialogue while the music crescendos, but it's all so beautifully shot and such a clear labour of love that I can't help be swept away. And the plot isn't complex, neither are the characters either, but it's a solid, muscular story and the characters are all acted with the right combination of flair and realism that the whole thing sort of perfectly inhabits this niche between a classic epic drama and a modern action thriller.

Blake TPlatyHermanoBrolomasterofmetroidDarth WaiterVivixenneEtchwarts
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What was cliche about that plot
    It's got a lot of elements that have been used before in crime films but that doesn't automatically make them cliches

HermanoBlankZoemasterofmetroid
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Subsequent viewings of The Raid 2 have really endeared the story bits to me. There's some good acting on display, and the set design and shot composition are phenomenal for the genre. Great use of colors and framing.

But the kickpunch is as always the marquee attraction.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I dunno but i found this quote:
    Why haven’t we seen Godzilla in a Toho movie in the past decade?

They made a 50th anniversary movie [Final Wars in 2004], and then they put the character in retirement because frankly it isn’t all that popular in Japan anymore. I think most people there view it as a retro, pop-culture icon. I think Japan will start making them again eventually. This movie will probably stir some interest.

I'm now interested in knowing the response too.

Fun fact: before Final Wars, the last batch of godzilla movies had to resort to showing as a double feature with Hamtaro in order to try to get more butts into the theater seats. Didn't really work, either.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What was cliche about that plot
    It's got a lot of elements that have been used before in crime films but that doesn't automatically make them cliches

Used dozens of times before in incredibly simplistic fashion with barebones dialogue. It's cliche in my book.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    the japanese must think it's weird that we like godzilla so much

i wonder what else is really popular over here that's passé in japan

No, Godzilla is still well-liked over there, it's just regarded as something whose heyday has passed.

You want to know something else that's way more popular here than in Japan? Dragonball Z.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You guys are going to make me buy the Raid 2 tonight...

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Do it

PSN- AHermano
    CelloJohnny ChopsockyDonovan Puppyfuckerchiasaur11
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it's 17.99 at work....

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I've been watching far too many movies inside my comfort zone these last few years. Time to try something different.

I think I'm going go watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9NA4R9-GH4

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I fell asleep during the raid 2.

In fairness I was really tired

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    As someone who has fallen asleep while walking I don't really trust that to be a measure of how much I like something.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I've been watching far too many movies inside my comfort zone these last few years. Time to try something different.

I think I'm going go watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9NA4R9-GH4

Have you seen City of God? Watch City of God.

This discussion has been closed.