As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Celeron FTW?

ffordefforde Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Sorry for kind of reposting, but no one seems to be reading the twice and future computer thread. So I am building a computer for a buddy of mine. The most important factor is a low cost, he will mainly just be using it for internet access, class work, maybe a little bit of music, but nothing that requires a knock out system. He doesn't plan on gaming at all really (he will probably be running Linux to save money on buying Windows actually). It is important that the system lasts him though and will be fairly easy to upgrade in the near future.

So I feel like I got a good system put together for him, but the only thing I am really a little shaky on is the Celeron processor. I have heard a lot of negativity about Celerons but I am not sure how much of that is based on old models or just plain old FUD. I have heard horror stories about high failure rates and terrible performance though. So my question is would it be worth it to spend the extra $50 for a Pentium D considering his needs and his price restrictions?

Also any other comments on the components I have put together?

fforde on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't speak for the performance in terms of desktop use as all of my Linux use is console only server stuff. I've had no issues with quality on 2 celeron servers, though.

I've got a server in a datacenter that has been up pretty close to 24x7 for 2-3 years now which has a 2.0Ghz Celeron in it. Obviously this is not a high load server, but it's constantly doing "something" as it's on an irc network that actually gets used, handles mail for me (tons of spam) along with spam filtering, and web sites which see as least a little use.

I've got a linux dev server here at work which has been on 24x7 for about a year now which is a 2.66Ghz celeron. It's been trouble free for me. It is again low use as it has had at most 3 developers on it at once and currently just one.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That looks like a pretty good machine and should last him through shcool, however I would point out you are missing a vital piece of hardware. The video card :) I myself dont prefer intell stuff and an early celeron laptop I had was crap. But with the new fabrication processes and stuff that shouldnt be a problem anymore. So looks to be good machine, jut put a video card in there :)

never mind im dumb i didnt see the pic showing the onboard video, but he could upgrade later for gaming if he wanted too

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That looks like a pretty good machine and should last him through shcool, however I would point out you are missing a vital piece of hardware. The video card :) I myself dont prefer intell stuff and an early celeron laptop I had was crap. But with the new fabrication processes and stuff that shouldnt be a problem anymore. So looks to be good machine, jut put a video card in there :)

never mind im dumb i didnt see the pic showing the onboard video, but he could upgrade later for gaming if he wanted too

Yep, onboard video, but with a PCIe16 slot for upgrading in the future.

fforde on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It'll probably be fine if he doesn't plan on doing any gaming or video editing on it.

Just make sure he knows that games will run like shit, even if he was to get a video card. I was with a 2.8GHz Celeron in my Desktop for a few years, and switching to an Athlon 3500+ doubled my FPS in pretty much every game.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem with Celerons is that they have a very low Cache.

Obs on