As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think I got over the initial starting hump. I just need to run another supply run or two and I'll have enough to buy a better lodging and maybe a Will. When you buy a Will, does it only encompass the possessions you currently have and you have to pay again to update it, or is it a rolling change thing?

Nope, never mind. Cut a deal with someone to take some cargo somewhere I'd never been instead of doing the safe cash-in, then I ran afoul of some pirates, so I didn't secure any new lodging or Will before meeting a watery grave.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Find the Salt Lions

trust me on this

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    also: Don't Go North

trust me on this

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Bought Sunless Sea after seeing the reviews. Weird question: where do I see my stats? I can't find them anywhere.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Under your officers at the top right.

Find the Salt Lions

trust me on this

Oh, I had a good thing going with the Salt Lions. But then I decided to see if I couldn't play for even more profit.

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Greedy is the way to go!

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Hope you like reading, because this game involves a fuck ton of reading. You don't necessarily have to read everything to enjoy the gameplay and mechanics, but there is a ton of lore and story in the walls of text. It's kind of the choose your own adventure style ala FTL when it comes to some of these things. Here's an example:

I docked at an Island that was populated with guinea pigs and rats. The guinea pigs were royalty, and the rats were "vermin"(hah). The leader of the rat revolution was in a spat with the guinea pig queen. After talking to both of them, I decided to help the rats overthrow the guinea pigs and assume power. This involved stealing a large portion of the royal guinea pig's armory. To do this, one of my crew put on a rat-skin suit and distracted the guards while the rats stole the supplies. Revolution ensued! The rats rewarded me handsomely. Before leaving though, I took it upon myself to steal their prized possession, the "Rat Star".

There's even crazier shit than that going on in this game, but it's a lot of reading.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    Yeah, the game has no voice acting so I can see how some people might not be able to be as engaged with it if they aren't into reading.

so, sometimes, when you give your ship full power, the engines explode

and, sometimes

this happens

tumblr_njdtupMLcw1roqzivo1_1280.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I have no idea how this entire universe has slipped under my radar till now, I just lost my entire evening alternating between both games.

My char name in Fallen London if anyone wants to friend me (don't even know what that does) is "Joshua Norton".

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've just fallen down into London as well. 'Cuz, hey, it's free. Don't know how long I'll stick with it.

Not sure about Sunless Sea, though.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    It cant be that much reading----OH MY GOD

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Failbetter Games basically just write books that you get access to pages of by playing a game.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Failbetter Games basically just write books that you get access to pages of by playing a game.

i really wish they'd just write books!

liEt3nH.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    also: Don't Go North

trust me on this

I like going North. Lots of ports to visit.

South is good, too.

And East is always a solid.

No fear hombre, I've got the lights off.

9KmX8eN.jpg

i really wish they'd just write books!

Ah, but then you couldn't control the story!

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Great to see this getting some love.

Haven't actually had time to dive into it since the full release update to see what is new. Soon!

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I loooove Fallen London. I play a few storylets and cards at work when I can. I'm a fast-talking pickpocket so far, leveling my Shadow into the 80's now.

I meant to grab Sunless Sea in the early access to get the expansions for free, but it completely slipped my mind. Oh well, I grabbed it yesterday and I can't wait to delve into it. They wove it into Fallen London, too. My thief found a mystery lockbox and gave it to my Captain in Sunless Sea.

I'm Rackham on Fallen London.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Didn't Fallen London used to be Facebook-exclusive or something? I seem to recall it being well-liked but that some factor rendered me incapable of playing it.

If I decide to try to get into this at some point, is it wise to check out Fallen London before Sunless Sea, or does it not matter?

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    It's not necessary, but it gives a greater perspective of London itself, while Sunless Sea is focused on the Unterzee surrounding.

I've been trying it a bit out last night and today. You only get so many turns at a time, however, so it takes some time to get things accomplished. I did find a chest of... something that I was able to send to my game in Sunless Sea - the next captain I make will be able to open it!

As far as my current Captain, I've managed to procure better living arrangements, have a child, and compose a will. With this peace of mind secure, I've begun venturing further east, and will hopefully discover a path to even greater fortunes.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Didn't Fallen London used to be Facebook-exclusive or something? I seem to recall it being well-liked but that some factor rendered me incapable of playing it.

If I decide to try to get into this at some point, is it wise to check out Fallen London before Sunless Sea, or does it not matter?

You can link it to social media to find friends but I haven't connected my account at all to Facebook.

It gets a bit grindy at times but the world is just amazing.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It used to be facebook exclusive, actually, back when it was Echo bazaar, but that's not the case anymore. I'm starting to get back into it, but haven't gotten very much farther than before due to grindiness. A pursuasive and watchful person of indistinct gender. Known to dance with devils in the pale moonlight. Username is Heenato if you want to shoot me a friend request.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah Fallen London is a huge grind, but if you enjoy the writing and the setting in Sunless Sea, I highly recommend it. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that Sunless Sea is now way less grindy than it was last time I checked it out. Last summer, you'd be lucky to break even on echoes after most trips, and a simple run up to Venderblight and back would leave your ship smashed to pieces and your crew curled up in terror.

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Lost my first Captain last night. Ate most of the crew after running out of fuel and then starved to death. Feels like I've started the game proper now. I'm pretty much just chiming in to say yeah what a great game with fun writing and lots of cool decisions to make and stories to run down.

Drake on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Still on my first captain, just barely scraping by. I've been to some places now, but mostly my echos come from gathering port reports and bringing them back to London. On good trips, I can kinda get up to ~400 echos, but that's still not enough to upgrade my ship.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think probably the least grindy way right now to play the more challenging and expensive content is to focus on making 1 or 2 heirlooms with each captain and then dying. Once you get a sufficient amount and can get the best engines and maybe an upgraded ship right off the bat, you can skip the initial profit mongering missions and explore something else.

Also, here's the most high yield tip in the game if you keep running out of fuel:
    It's called the Sunless Sea for a reason. Keep your light off.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    get to Nuncio and Visage, the plotlines there terminate in items with big monetary values. Other than that, if you get a good route through the map, try and haul coffee from Port Carnelian to London, or if you discovered Polythreme, wine to Godfall (if you're stil in the early game)

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Having been able to fund venturing further out in my starter ship by figuring out routes to hit lots of ports and pick up some things to sell back in London (I know I'm making a profit, but I haven't figured out just how much of a profit, yet) I'm just enjoying the stories on each of the islands more and more. Honestly, I only stop myself from exploring even more options in some islands because I'm afraid that I'll end up throw in prison or stabbed or something.

the expeditions in Godfall and the Mangrove College are incredibly rewarding - if you can complete them. come with plenty of extra crew and low terror and you should have some nice prizes to show for it

wY6K6Jb.gif
    If you don't get stabbed to death you'll never learn anything

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    the expeditions in Godfall and the Mangrove College are incredibly rewarding - if you can complete them. come with plenty of extra crew and low terror and you should have some nice prizes to show for it

I've yet to find either of those places.

what locations have you discovered so far

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Hunter's Keep
    Venderbight
    Salt Lions
    Demaux Island
    Mutton Island
    Shepherd isles
    Abbey Rock
    Cumaean Canal
    Station III
    Iron Republic
    Uttershroom
    Grand Geode
    Fathomking's Hold
    Gaider's Mourn
    Port Cecil
    Nuncio
    Sea of Lilies
    Visage
    Isle of Cats

Just buy like 20 fuel and 10 supplies (400 from London) and just go nuts on the map.

If you click on the Zee-bat notification when it finds an island it will waypoint on your chart.

10 fuel is just enough to get you back to London from anywhere on the map unless you have too few or too many crew, provided nothing bad happens, which it will

keep exploring, both those locations should be in the vicinity of the longitude of the more eastern locations you've found

wY6K6Jb.gif
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hunter's Keep
    Venderbight
    Salt Lions
    Demaux Island
    Mutton Island
    Shepherd isles
    Abbey Rock
    Cumaean Canal
    Station III
    Iron Republic
    Uttershroom
    Grand Geode
    Fathomking's Hold
    Gaider's Mourn
    Port Cecil
    Nuncio
    Sea of Lilies
    Visage
    Isle of Cats

You know, north isn't that bad

Paladin wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hunter's Keep
    Venderbight
    Salt Lions
    Demaux Island
    Mutton Island
    Shepherd isles
    Abbey Rock
    Cumaean Canal
    Station III