As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    keep exploring, both those locations should be in the vicinity of the longitude of the more eastern locations you've found

I've been venturing further east every time I head out.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    Has anyone taken the Cumaean Canal yo the surface?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Has anyone taken the Cumaean Canal yo the surface?

Do it. Bring at least a couple hundred echoes with you.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Just picked this up. Noticed that a trip to the nearby ports consumes 3 supplies while selling the report to the Admirality Office gives me enough Echoes for half a supply. I think I may not be doing things right.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    Just picked this up. Noticed that a trip to the nearby ports consumes 3 supplies while selling the report to the Admirality Office gives me enough Echoes for half a supply. I think I may not be doing things right.

I think a lot of people have the instinct to grind things out in the early stages, & I think that in this game that may not be the best approach. I really do feel like you might be better off just setting sail for the wild blue yonder as far as you can go because I think the rewards for doing that can be far bigger - and if they're not you'll die and can restart more quickly.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, once you have a lot more of the map discovered, it becomes much easier to start making money. If you can find whatever island the admiralty is sending you to, it's an easy 150 echoes plus all the port reports you can hit on your way there. Plus you'll have a better idea of what trade goods you can pick up to bring back.

Has anybody saved up enough to get a new ship yet? I've almost got enough for the first upgrade, but I'm thinking of skipping it and saving the 2k more to get the one with 120 cargo space.

And some asshole just put a curse on me. I wouldn't give him free ride back to London cause he looked a bit shifty, so he starts cutting his wrists and screaming about how I deserve to face the same cruelty and coldheartedness I'd shown him.

Then I get back to London and a messenger is waiting for me on the docks.
    My wife and son are both dead! :bigfrown:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

This was a common problem during Early Access. Many people (me included) tried the cautious approach, finding a safe trade route with low profit (it used to be London -> Venderbight and back), grinding away until they feel they can afford upgrades.

I soon discovered this isn't the way to play, and isn't the way the devs want you to play either - they've said many a time they've limited trading early on purely so people don't get stuck into a repetitive grind and then quit without experiencing what the game has to offer. The game excels and is much more rewarding if you just get out there and explore. You may die, yes, but you'll discover a huge amount of content and countless opportunities. You'll be rewarded not just in making money, but also through immersion and pure gaming satisfaction.

Give it a go, Load up on fuel and supplies, head out into the dark, and see what you can find. (and don't forget to grab port reports wherever you can - they can still be a significant contribution to your income on longer journeys, and especially now the Admirality rewards you with fuel too when you submit them)

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Basically if your initial experience isn't complete dread followed by 'OH SHIT ITS A PORT' you're doing it wrong.

Also that mandatory one captain death to something you thought you could fight but you clearly couldn't.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Basically if your initial experience isn't complete dread followed by 'OH SHIT ITS A PORT' you're doing it wrong.

Also that mandatory one captain death to something you thought you could fight but you clearly couldn't.

Oh, hello there Lifeberg.

• Options
    And, as others have said, turn your lights off. Seems to half the rate you burn fuel at.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    And, as others have said, turn your lights off. Seems to half the rate you burn fuel at.

Oh god...

I have wasted so much fuel.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Yeah. Lights are for the birds.

Useful now and then when you want to slow down terror generation, but otherwise I keep them off.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    my thoughts on fuel and general early game efficiency. I haven't sat down and crunched numbers but this is how I suspect things work after playing for a while:

- lights burn fuel at a fixed rate based on elapsed time whether you're moving or not and regardless of what speed you're moving at.
    - hunger and terror also seem to grow at fixed rates based on elapsed time. this makes intuitive sense: people need 3 meals a day whether they've covered 0 miles or 50, and they get scared and unhinged as days pass regardless of how fast the scenery is flying by.
    - fuel seems to be consumed at a roughly fixed rate based on distance traveled. if traveling 5 abstract distance units consumes 5 fuel, you will consume that 5 fuel whether you cross that distance quickly or slowly.

so early on, your most efficient travel method is lights off, full steam ahead - even overheating the engine sometimes, so long as you don't provoke a fire. getting there faster means fewer days at sea which means fewer supplies spent feeding your crew and lower terror.

later on, when you have faster engines, I think you can feel more comfortable enjoying the luxury of rolling around with lights-on and getting to distant ports with a crew who aren't scared half out of their skulls (which you need to complete certain objectives and tasks).

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    That's all good stuff, but are you sure about full burn? That sounds like the sort of thing that would use up extra fuel.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Found out that Salt is real. Don't anger Salt...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    That's all good stuff, but are you sure about full burn? That sounds like the sort of thing that would use up extra fuel.

I mean, I haven't sat down with a stopwatch, but it doesn't seem to? Like, the fuel bar doesn't seem to increment down any faster. It seems like the disincentive to full burn is just that you might catch fire/have your engine possessed(?!) at any moment.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »

I mean, I haven't sat down with a stopwatch, but it doesn't seem to? Like, the fuel bar doesn't seem to increment down any faster. It seems like the disincentive to full burn is just that you might catch fire/have your engine possessed(?!) at any moment.

That's a definite change from earlier builds then. Going at full speed used to guzzle fuel when the game first came out, to the point where you could have 10 fuel and run out going back and forth on a tomb colony run.

• Options
    Supply is a problem in the early game cause it's so expensive, but it's easier to replenish on your way than fuel from battles and Something Awaits You.

Best tip for conserving supply: don't run with a full crew. Have 1 or 2 above half.

However, supply (and a few other things) becomes a joke with the arguably game breaking nature of:
    the surface. Supply costs 5 echoes there, and it costs 220 to get there if you buy your fuel from the Iron Republic. If you buy 15 supply you have already reclaimed your toll in savings. And if you have mirror catch boxes, congratulations, you broke the game economy.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Admiral favours and report turn ins pretty much cover all your fuel needs. You can take the extra echo from the report tun ins and spend maybe half on supplies and you'll be fine. Killing the creatures in the sea will also give you some free supply. Supplies are also one of the main rewards for doing things during port events.

Worst case, you get to 0 supplies and your crew resorts to cannibalism and begins to eat each other. As long as you get back home before half the crew becomes lunch, you're fine.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Is there a method to pass things on to my next Captain? I assume I need a home, a will, a wife, and a child?

If I spend Secrets to talk to my officers and raise my stats, is that all reset with my next captain?

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »
    Is there a method to pass things on to my next Captain? I assume I need a home, a will, a wife, and a child?

If I spend Secrets to talk to my officers and raise my stats, is that all reset with my next captain?

There are certain achievements that double a particular stat for all future captains. Also, you can choose up to 2 legacies that will give 50% of a stat back. Given that this means if you had 100 the new guy will start at 50, it's better to select another stat as a starting bonus.

For money and lodging, you need a will. You MUST make a will for every captain or the line will be broken.

A kid is not necessary but may be able to allow you 2 legacies instead of 1.

• Options
    Also, tips for pros, right click Strategic Information in your Hold.

• Options
    The first thing I've upgraded on my starter ship is the forward gun. I got the 200 echo one, and that coupled with my high-Iron origins seems to give a respectable damage output. If I do more damage faster, I take less damage, and spend less money on repairs. So that's a good start, I guess?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    my thoughts on fuel and general early game efficiency. I haven't sat down and crunched numbers but this is how I suspect things work after playing for a while:

- lights burn fuel at a fixed rate based on elapsed time whether you're moving or not and regardless of what speed you're moving at.
    - hunger and terror also seem to grow at fixed rates based on elapsed time. this makes intuitive sense: people need 3 meals a day whether they've covered 0 miles or 50, and they get scared and unhinged as days pass regardless of how fast the scenery is flying by.
    - fuel seems to be consumed at a roughly fixed rate based on distance traveled. if traveling 5 abstract distance units consumes 5 fuel, you will consume that 5 fuel whether you cross that distance quickly or slowly.

so early on, your most efficient travel method is lights off, full steam ahead - even overheating the engine sometimes, so long as you don't provoke a fire. getting there faster means fewer days at sea which means fewer supplies spent feeding your crew and lower terror.

later on, when you have faster engines, I think you can feel more comfortable enjoying the luxury of rolling around with lights-on and getting to distant ports with a crew who aren't scared half out of their skulls (which you need to complete certain objectives and tasks).

Small correction on terror: if you look at the terror skull, the color of the lights around it indicate your rate. Light (yours or others), being near london, and hugging a shore decrease the rate, while being on the black open sea or in a fog with no land in sight increases the rate.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Small correction on terror: if you look at the terror skull, the color of the lights around it indicate your rate. Light (yours or others), being near london, and hugging a shore decrease the rate, while being on the black open sea or in a fog with no land in sight increases the rate.

Two light sources is enough to keep the terror rate green, that I've seen. One puts it in orange, and coasting blind on the black sea turns it red.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Oh no. The true ocean madness has set in. I'm trying to remember how to use differential equations to get the right ratio of fuel, supplies and coffee for maximum profits.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I had a very long adventure chain where things could have gone very, very differently if I had not made a few key decisions earlier on. Like, not even specifically in this decision chain, but in other, seemingly unrelated activities that nevertheless ended up being naturally tied together. Without spoiling anything, I'm glad I was playing my character as the forgiving sort.

I have also discovered why the dead letter office must forever remain open.

This game is incredible.

• Options
    Dead Letter Office might be my favorite island so far. Probably cause I know a lot of postal workers, so it sounds pretty accurate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    OH GOD FINALLY HELLO

I have Fallen London. I don't have Sunless Sea yet. If you would like to send my characters calling cards, they are:

lucid_seraph

and

Joseph Weller.

Uh Lucid is currently in Polythreme so they probably won't be able to take your cards or answer social actions. Joe however is probably just drunk, somewhere.

I really want Sunless Sea but I'm unemployed, curses.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Ah. THAT'S how you add contacts easily. Well then, here's mine.

Heenato

Maybe with some help I can get this blasted ambition done and dusted.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Sent you guys invites, though you might want to fix your link, Heen.

Here's mine: Joshua Norton

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. That's fixed now. This is what I get for not proofreading my hyperlinks.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I'm thinking of retiring my captain. After getting the impeller, 100 veil, and the blue scintillack, I can go anywhere and kill anything on the sea without ever having to worry about dying to anything. But I've killed or eaten half the interesting people I've met and the other half want nothing to do with me. The only thing left in the game for me is to pick up on the stories I was shut out of due to not having enough skills, and to secure my legacy for future stories.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Daniel Vaise

if anyone needs any help with Fallen London, I've basically maxed out

everything

so, I'm there for whatever

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I'm amazed this captain, the second after I ditched the first who got into a situation where they couldn't afford fuel or food within an hour of starting, has stayed alive so far when you consider that I've done things like sold my only ship weapon because I didn't realize the starter ship didn't have a forward slot for the cannon I bought or not checked for enough cargo space when putting a deposit down at the Salt Lions. It helped that I chose the Veil past and could run away or evade enemies while I was defenseless for quite a while. Currently working on feeding my child enough tales to make him an even better heir and just bought the most expensive deck guns.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I'm amazed this captain, the second after I ditched the first who got into a situation where they couldn't afford fuel or food within an hour of starting, has stayed alive so far when you consider that I've done things like sold my only ship weapon because I didn't realize the starter ship didn't have a forward slot for the cannon I bought or not checked for enough cargo space when putting a deposit down at the Salt Lions. It helped that I chose the Veil past and could run away or evade enemies while I was defenseless for quite a while. Currently working on feeding my child enough tales to make him an even better heir and just bought the most expensive deck guns.

I did this.

Twice. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just started noodling around with Fallen London since i'm waiting on Sunless Sea to be finished before picking it up, figured i'd acquaint myself with the setting.

Boy, i've really no idea what i'm doing. Seems interesting, though. Definitely more fleshed-out than Dragon Age: The Last Court.

Here's my character, anyway. It really seems like a lot of stuff is locked behind interactions with other characters? Like, I can't find a way to get my nightmares to drop that isn't sending them to someone else. I should probably just spend time reading through the wiki, when I get a chance.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Rackham

I added everyone on here. I'm not entirely sure what that does, but there it is.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just started noodling around with Fallen London since i'm waiting on Sunless Sea to be finished before picking it up, figured i'd acquaint myself with the setting.

Boy, i've really no idea what i'm doing. Seems interesting, though. Definitely more fleshed-out than Dragon Age: The Last Court.

Here's my character, anyway. It really seems like a lot of stuff is locked behind interactions with other characters? Like, I can't find a way to get my nightmares to drop that isn't sending them to someone else. I should probably just spend time reading through the wiki, when I get a chance.

You can also buy Laudnam from the Bazaar and chug it, but that'll make you an addict and increase your Wounds. *e* However, Wounds reduction is super easy, 3 actions at your Lodgings, and sometimes that can reduce Nightmares too. So... if you don't mind being an opium addict, Laudnam > Wounds > Napping is a decent route.

Other methods of Nightmare reduction... if you can get your paws on Greyfields 1868 First Sporing, that'll help without the addiction issue. You need Touching Love Stories (created by upconverting Honey > Romantic Notions > Love Stories) which you can trade through an opportunity card

If you buy the Trade in Souls storyline (I somehow got it for free back in the Early Days -- I started playing at launch?), you get an occasional opp card that, if you have 1000 souls and 500 Infernal Contracts, will wipe ALL of your Menaces. Completely. ALL OF THEM.

Finally, going insane is less terrible if you have Memories of Light. In fact, it can be downright pleasant.

oh finally once I have enough actions to accept y'all's calling cards I'm happy to eat Nightmares. Please do not give me Wounds or Suspicion though, those I have a lot more trouble clearing :(

Also, yes. I'm no expert, but I've been playing this game since launch... I took a three year break starting in like, 2009 or something though >>; Even so.

Word of advice. DO NOT
    SEEK
    THE NAME

If you get Unaccountably Peckish try to clear it IMMEDIATELY. That story is currently shut down. Also, even if it wasn't, it will ruin you and your character's lives.

If you're super curious about Fallen London lore, http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com is considered an authority.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Sunless Sea is finished. They did a full release on steam last week.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
This discussion has been closed.