As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    4. I believe the Soul Trade Shepard of Souls card drops it as well?

It takes everything down to 0 (except I guess exotic stuff like Irrigo etc). It's great. I can't recommend it enough.

For efficiency's sake, since it's a ~40 action grind to acquire the items, I tend to wait until as many menaces are as high as I can get them before firing it. It's super duper saved my bacon on multiple occasions now, though.

so it sounds like the trade in souls story is v worth it

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    I am going to be honest. I mostly bought the Soul Trade storylet so I could give the Regretful Soldier's Wife back her soul. That card had been sitting in my deck for over a year and it finally got to me.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    4. I believe the Soul Trade Shepard of Souls card drops it as well?

It takes everything down to 0 (except I guess exotic stuff like Irrigo etc). It's great. I can't recommend it enough.

For efficiency's sake, since it's a ~40 action grind to acquire the items, I tend to wait until as many menaces are as high as I can get them before firing it. It's super duper saved my bacon on multiple occasions now, though.

so it sounds like the trade in souls story is v worth it

yeah either you get this amazing reset option or you get a really profitable echo grind

either way it's pretty solid

• Options
    Would anyone be down for a private supper? If I get making waves to 20 before tues I can get notability 5!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Would anyone be down for a private supper? If I get making waves to 20 before tues I can get notability 5!

sure, toss me a couple invites (as in 2 because i only have 2 free evenings and any more would be a waste on your part) @Casual Eddy

• Options
    Sent !

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Delmain, what are you up to that you're needing so much scandal diverted from you?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So, I just re-found one of the more efficient turn-to-profit storylets around. In Unfinished Business in Veilgarden, the option to "get in on a card game" gives a straight 100 Amber on a win (note: it is a Straightforward challenge, or no risk of failure, for me) and on a rare success, an Aeolian scream.

Speaking personally, this is extra good because I have a Rubbery Spouse. On the card that comes up, there is an option to be intimate, which costs 1000 Amber but gives you a vendor item that goes for 12.50 Echoes (25% more than you'd normally get from just selling the Amber).

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Hurray! I finally got my bazaar premises and 5 notability. Now to wait for the card to come up so I can get a better job!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    How much Making Waves do you get from those dinners?

I've still got no use for it yet but I've built mine up to 10 or so just from cards and stuff if anyone's interested.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Delmain, what are you up to that you're needing so much scandal diverted from you?

Wilmot's End with "not enough Persuasive to not fail" a lot

I should be good now though, I needed the damn Use of Villains for a Gang of Hoodlums, but now that I've got that I'm just doing heists all day erry day

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    I always feel like the RNG is out to get me in Wilmot's End in particular. Whenever I'm grinding for something there with even a 95% chance of success my Nightmares/Scandal/Suspicion shoot through the fucking roof.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh!
    failing at robbing the Brass Embassy sends you just straight to prison regardless of your suspicion

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Oh!
    failing at robbing the Brass Embassy sends you just straight to prison regardless of your suspicion

IIRC it also doesn't increase that "I got caught" quality?

• Options
    I've been playing through the affair of the box and I've gotten to a point where I have to
    work with either the Masters or the Revolutionaries

Looks like I get some "Power in Waiting" quality? Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Do I lock myself out of anything good by siding one way or the other during this initial playthrough?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Delmain wrote: »
    I've been playing through the affair of the box and I've gotten to a point where I have to
    work with either the Masters or the Revolutionaries

Looks like I get some "Power in Waiting" quality? Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Do I lock myself out of anything good by siding one way or the other during this initial playthrough?
    you can technically work both sides (and probably will by accident) up to a repeatable conclusion, but this marks you as a traitor. Get don't get that quality past 3, or it will be difficult to progress. There will be an option to fully side yourself in one faction, or reset your traitor quality for fate

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I made it the gallery of serpents! Blimey what a trek. I sabotaged my rival so many times I lost count and anyone on my contact list must be fed up with the constant chess for second chances, but I got there. With rival's progress at 9 and requiring a 48% triple supply use gamble for the final step.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AersienAersien Registered User regular
    Was it worth the effort?

• Options
    Profit-wise? Probably not. Story snippets were nice but not particularly extensive. It certainly added the most drama I've had out of the game so far!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It gave me a vial of Tears of the Bazaar so that was pretty rad although I have decided to be boring and responsible and save those for the holidays instead of selling them for the fat stacks I rightly deserve.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I just hold onto all the rare and expensive items I get like a miser

I've easily got thousands of echoes worth of shit just lying around

• Options
    Woah. I just looked up the sell price on Elemental Secrets and I reverse my statement on profitability. I got two.

I'd thought the three Uncanny Incunabulum were the main reward and they were just some low level side loot!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Okay, Ocelot! He's gonna eat the typewriter...

Okay sure yes photographer, okay yes functionary, ok... Fucking what.

Is there a good way to get portfolios of souls, or am I gonna have to go play footsie with some devils and hopefully not sell my damn soul?

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Is there a good way to get portfolios of souls, or am I gonna have to go play footsie with some devils and hopefully not sell my damn soul?

Below the Neath, an uncommon (20% of standard frequency) card that pops up with 81+ Shadowy has a rare chance of giving a portfolio of souls

Aside from that, it's just Blackfinger Alley at the Bazaar Side Streets. Rob the Brass Embassy for Souls and Contracts, Ambush Spirifers for Souls via Unfinished Business, and get Brilliant Souls via Thefts of a Particular Character

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I really wish you could blacklist or temporarily suppress the appearance of certain cards in your deck since not all of them can be avoided like City Vices

• Options
    what's blackmail material for? I get paid in it but dont have any uses for it as far as I can tell.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It's for blackmail.

Seriously though, you can sell it at the bazaar or use it in certain storylets

Here's a link, be warned there may be spoilers here

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Blackmail_Material

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Below the Neath, an uncommon (20% of standard frequency) card that pops up with 81+ Shadowy has a rare chance of giving a portfolio of souls

Aside from that, it's just Blackfinger Alley at the Bazaar Side Streets. Rob the Brass Embassy for Souls and Contracts, Ambush Spirifers for Souls via Unfinished Business, and get Brilliant Souls via Thefts of a Particular Character

Blergh. So you're saying it's footsie with the devilless, then?

• Options

I don't know why you would do that

• Options

I don't know why you would do that

Well, all I need is Intimate w/ Devils 5, which should be just waiting for some cards to show up. Seems cheaper than the portfolio, unless I miss my math.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, if that's all you need that's easy. You don't even risk your soul getting that high.

I thought maybe you needed the Portfolios for Nemesis or something.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, if that's all you need that's easy. You don't even risk your soul getting that high.

I thought maybe you needed the Portfolios for Nemesis or something.

Naaah, just starting a newspaper is all.

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Lore Question: Where exactly do Moon Pearls come from?

London seems to have quite a lot them. Ms Plenty is draped head to toe in the things, most clocks run on them, and they are practically used as a second currency. So whatever the source, it must be pretty vast.

I am dredging my brain trying to remember if there is any lore fluff that ever came up regarding their source. Are there huge zee oyster fields around low Barnet? Do the drownies bring them? Do they fall from the roof with glim?

• Options
    Moon pearls, much like the moon itself, are relatively unexplained I think

• Options
    I only have four Correspondence symphonies left to write and then my SotC will be at 10 and I can move on to other things! This was a hell of a grind, but at least I made some money off it. After I'm done, I need to decide what I'll do next. I've got

- the Velocipede Squad (I bought the expanded storylet and while the Ratwork Velocipede alone was worth the price of admission, I definitely want to see the rest through to the end)
    - the University
    - the Foreign Office
    - Mahogany Hall, the wars of illusion, and the affair of the box

also I guess beast-hunting with Mr. Inch and the Labyrinth but that stuff is both least interesting and least in character for my dude idk

• Options
    Honestly what I'm really excited for is getting Acquainted: the Wry Functionary up to 5 so I can buy the assortment of conversational storylets with him. I am a nerd

• Options
    One of the major benefits of the fate part of the Labyrinth of Tigers is having a (still slow) source of SotC that doesn't require you to write symphonies. Otherwise the Labyrinth eventually has a little bit of interesting stuff about tigers and Parabola but not a ton of lore either way. Unless you get a big chunk unlocked by finishing your beast collection, which I haven't.

Getting access to Wars of Illusion is an irritating luck-based grind that I didn't even realize was what I needed to do until I got a random rare success while going for quick Cryptic Clues.

• Options
    Can the Labyrinth take your SotC above 10? I was planning on getting the Fate stuff for it anyway, at some point. I mean I am probably going to buy every interesting storylet eventually.

• Options
    You can get at least one card that can raise SotC to 10. I haven't gotten there so I don't know if it goes higher.

• Options
    I'm working on it, but I still need to finish the Academy, get Flute St, and then do a bunch of scientific shenanigans at zee

This discussion has been closed.