As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Firstly, that's a shame but it seems so weird to me that studios are firing people based on poor sales of a game that's not out yet. You shouldn't expect sales before the game is out, most people don't want to pay to do QA for companies.

Secondly, they need to try and budget a little more realistically. Their kickstarter took in 3.77 times their stated goal, they should have enough money to put out the game without expecting a second kickstarter from early access. Either set a higher kickstarter goal or scale back the game, release part of it as DLC, or something.

Thirdly, they made Sunless sea on 100k from kickstarter, and this looks like the same engine. Why is this costing so much more?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    That's a bummer. But yeah can you really blame poor sales on a product that isn't released, and from what little I know of it, doesn't have a ton of content in it to really justify getting into at this point. Hope it works out for them.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    For those of us who don't play regularly but still play and check the thread, should probably mention that the festival of roses has started.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I've been on that Laureateship grind

And it is quite a grind -_-

But hey, once my talents have been duly recognized, I'll be persuasive as hell

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: Β»
    For those of us who don't play regularly but still play and check the thread, should probably mention that the festival of roses has started.

Yep. Anybody want jars of teeth for Masquing?

Mayabird wrote: Β»

Yep. Anybody want jars of teeth for Masquing?
    Wouldn't say no to that.

• MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    If anyone is looking for any of the non fate items I would be happy to send something over. I remember it was a pain in the butt to get a bottle of the Lachrymose Chartreuse last year.

Crap. I really should've checked when this event ended at the start of it as opposed to when I noticed that the storylet where you send out masquing items seemed to have disappeared.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Can you get anything with 30 masquing over what you could get at 20?

38thDoE on steam

It's a bit odd how the Festival of the Rose has you putting in effort for the payoff of getting unique companions when like two months earlier you get a scuttering squad for free that renders a lot of them redundant.

I have acquired a card. It holds no name and never did.

But I am so much closer now. So much closer.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    oh no

rRwz9.gif
    I have acquired a card. It holds no name and never did.

But I am so much closer now. So much closer.

I think my alt is 10 weeks of burning himself in the oven away from that.

38thDoE on steam

Destroying yourself is so much harder than advertised. It certainly takes awhile.

I am coming up on the last few hurdles, but grinding up to 12 notability on an alt is going to be an absolute pain.

Oh, huh, I just realized that the sorta-recent change to how helping other players with menaces works means I should probably periodically send out offers to help with them, since the minimum on the amount of menaces they have to have to be eligible for it means I probably won't be accidentally wasting it on people not playing anymore.

edited February 2018
    Who's active that I can bug for Light Fingers interviews?

cB557 on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It's happened.

I give you all permission to take a moment of silence to appreciate London's newest PARAMOUNT PRESENCE.

With that done, I need to pick a new task for myself. I'm a good ways into Poet-Laureate but I mainly use that as a way to sink my excess Church, Hell, Society, and Revolutionary Favours, so I only progress on it as quickly as I can draw those cards. Similarly, I'm most of the way toward owning a vial of M_____'s B___d, but that's just a matter of drawing A Presumptuous Little Opportunity a bunch more times.

So I think my next goal might have to be the Overgoat. I've got 6000+ Echoes saved up so I'm halfway there.

As a bonus, once I have the goat (and its giant Watchful bonus) I can maybe work on an Impossible Theorem.

Oh, and I should probably write a Classic Short Story at some point?

rRwz9.gif
    Congratulations!

I was working on Paramount Presence, but I got distracted and wrote a hundred ballets about how pretty tigers are.

I still need to write more.

• AersienAersien Registered User regular
    Congrats!

Every time I look at Paramount Presence I imagine grinding all that Notability and abandon the idea. The Making Waves grind isn't fun for me, it's frustrating. I'm saving up rats to do it without having to bother with Making Waves, but that's a lot of rats.

I already have an Übergoat, a Vial of M_____'s B___d, a restored stock of Tears of the Bazaar in case I decide to go for a Noman tattoo at some point, and I'm deciding on my next trick. Poet Laureate, an Impossible Theorem, and a Classic Short Story are all possibilities; I'll probably do the first, I have no interest in dying repeatedly for a theorem, and I'm more interested in hoarding Trade Secrets than writing. In the meantime I'm shuttling regularly to the Court of the Wakeful Eye to try to push forward my very long-term project of being able to acquire some delicious cider.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It's happened.

I give you all permission to take a moment of silence to appreciate London's newest PARAMOUNT PRESENCE.

With that done, I need to pick a new task for myself. I'm a good ways into Poet-Laureate but I mainly use that as a way to sink my excess Church, Hell, Society, and Revolutionary Favours, so I only progress on it as quickly as I can draw those cards. Similarly, I'm most of the way toward owning a vial of M_____'s B___d, but that's just a matter of drawing A Presumptuous Little Opportunity a bunch more times.

So I think my next goal might have to be the Overgoat. I've got 6000+ Echoes saved up so I'm halfway there.

As a bonus, once I have the goat (and its giant Watchful bonus) I can maybe work on an Impossible Theorem.

Oh, and I should probably write a Classic Short Story at some point?

S E E K

I ate an engineer
    I'm so excited to be one week away from being able to get one more scar. I don't suppose getting more scars gives you more seeking?

38thDoE on steam

I accidentally sent one of the betrayal menace reduction options from my alt to my main. I can't believe I owned myself like that

While sleepy, I accidentally poisoned my Seeker once. Maybe I thought it was the right thing to do...

Crap, I forgot you can just call slowcake's amanuensis to your lodging without needing to get the opportunity card. There goes thirteen wasted levels of making waves.

Crap, I forgot you can just call slowcake's amanuensis to your lodging without needing to get the opportunity card. There goes thirteen wasted levels of making waves.

*sucks teeth*

rRwz9.gif
    I finally got my vial of Masters' Blood today. It has absolutely no uses but it looks great on my mantel.

rRwz9.gif
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Every once in a while I think about checking back in on fallen london, but then I realize I'll probably just end up frustrated with the RNG, cheat my heart out, and then get bored.

Might give it another go if Light Fingers ever gets wrapped up, but who knows.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    My alt just got his first ship the Zee Clipper for the +3 BDR boost. Iron Republic down, Polythreme is unbearable with only 3 cards.
    My main sailed to the wakeful court thinking new tigers costs 210 but they cost 240 >_<

38thDoE on steam

Does the Zee Clipper give a bdr boost? I thought it was the only ship of the three that didn't have a bonus associated with it? It is also very early and I could be very wrong.

And in the final two levels of notability before my alt can obtain no candle.

Sorry meant that I was getting the iron republic journal and the hat companion. Zero clipper seemed easy to get because I got the profession that gave use of villains.

38thDoE on steam

Ohhhh that makes perfect sense now after the clarity of a cup of tea.

I just picked up the iron republic journal on my alt, but under no circumstance will I go back to polythreme with out a damn good reason. That place is worse than the winking isle.

edited March 2018
    It's really not that bad with a four card hand. Five card hand is really good. You can add in the skill card for whichever side you are going for and hold the other three cards. I was investigating so I just cycle for ruin temple and chair.

And while you are cycling you train shadowy because there is no penalty for failure to lurk for romantic notions.

The unfinished hat seems the best companion for bdr for an alt.

Of course my alt has a three card hand so...

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

edited March 2018
    spoilers for breeding a plated seal using empyrean redolence
    You lead your Seal to the squat stone barn that holds the wings-of-thunder bat. The Seal undulates noisily up the stone steps. The glim-lights in the roof burn tonight, cold and hard. Your Seal doesn't notice, and bites playfully at a passing verger. You push the Seal through the iron door in the roof.

No moist crunchings. No screams. No shaking. Just a blast of frigid air and a long, satisfied sigh, almost too high to hear. The trap door opens, and out saunters a creature of nightmares. A befanged monster you've only seen in dreams of pursuit and empty cities. The horror trots over to you and licks your hand. Its breath smells of honey. It looks speculatively at a nearby stick, and then hopefully at you.
    omg
    1x Slavering Dream-Hound
    It followed you home from nightmares, but it's still a good dog.
    omg

cB557 on
    Oh. Is that what the empress' dog is?

38thDoE on steam

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Hm. Maybe? But IIRC the empress's dog has the appearance of a normal dog, while this sounds like it's the more monstrous form it takes in dreams, so maybe not.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Hm. Maybe? But IIRC the empress's dog has the appearance of a normal dog, while this sounds like it's the more monstrous form it takes in dreams, so maybe not.
    Both the empress' dog and the slavering dream hound are the eater-of-chains.

Etiowsa wrote: Β»
    I read the question as "is the empress's dog bred from a plated seal and a wings-of-thunder bat with the use of empyrean redolence"

Etiowsa wrote: Β»
    Only the Empress' dog is the Eater of Chains because he is a jerk. Our slavering dream hound is the same species, but much nicer.

Dogs, Dreams etc
    Although the Empress' dog only looks like that in dreams, the dream hound apparently looks like that not in dreams. Unless you are dreaming when you meet him?

I think trying to figure everything out is my favorite part of the universe. I really want to know what the story is with the maid on Hunter's Keep. More about the Dawn Machine, Lorn Flukes, etc. I really wish they'd just put someone on making all the Sunless sea locations reachable from Fallen London. Have boat will travel. It would be awesome to finally go to the tomb colony that the god eaters live at. More about Mt. Nomad than just a random card while at Zee.

38thDoE on steam

This discussion has been closed.