As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Whelp, Fallen London has grabbed me by the small hairs.

Tomorrow I shall be an exceptional friend. Is it possible to play it on one's phone well?
    It's not optimized for mobile, so you're gonna spend a lot of time zooming in and out, but it works fairly well for me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Landscape on the iPhone 6 is working pretty well. Bit of scrolling, and the only zooming is when buying/selling at the bazaar because the quantity/confirmation pop-ups end up being goofy wide.

It helps keep me sane at work.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    so here's my FL profile. up for shenanigans

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    extra html stuff on the end of the link @Maguano

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    derp. fixed.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well damn. My ambition has once again been stymied. I eventually collected the nessesary items, and continued on my quest (I may have spent ten bucks to do so. Not gonna lie) and my ambition proceeded nicely. But alas, the ambition now takes me to the shuttered palace. A place I have yet to find the route to myself. Perhaps someday I will gain entry to the covetous place, but for now, life goes on in the 'Neath.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Pole Vaulted to ten nightmares... yeah. I'm talking to the management!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    And captain 2 has died, 1 visit away from having his child pursue a career at zee. Forgot that if you back up into something solid, your engine gets set to neutral and died to an Albino Moray one shot before it was going to die.

Captain had 5000 echoes on him plus 5 or 6 heirlooms in storage with an ambition of retiring in luxury so it also could have been his last zee trip before retirement.

His successor went with half his money since I can afford what I would have passed down anyway with that though his stats were just 1 better than the default as I'd been pumping most of captain 2's secrets into Iron, not Veils.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Your next captain has to be McBain then.

steam_sig.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Oh right, fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/lucid_seraph is finally back in London from their trip to Polythreme, so you can actually send them calling cards again. I've sent out a bunch but ran out of actions (I'm too poor to be an Exceptional Friend)

*E* Hey all, the Feast of the Rose is upon us, and Failbetter put a code on their Tumblr to get Extra Goodies.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/AnInvitationtotheFeast

Get in on that.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    How does Sunless Sea connect with Fallen London? I mean I saw a chance to sell a box to a Zee Captain and it discussed linking the game to my account, but precisely what benefits might I see?

Because honestly I'm going to get it anyway, but the purchase might go from waiting til it's on sale to immediate.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    I don't think linking the accounts does a whole lot actually. Your captains will start out with a little more experience and your FL character might get a few traits or items I think.

steam_sig.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh geez, I somehow got a "Headful of Picaresque Tales" item that's worth 12.50 on the bazaar. Is that used for anything or should I sell it? There's no information on the wiki.

This will invite someone who isn't playing to join you, and start a lucrative story if they do.

How do these prompts actually work? I've invited people but when they join it doesn't even friend us.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Aistan wrote: »
    Oh geez, I somehow got a "Headful of Picaresque Tales" item that's worth 12.50 on the bazaar. Is that used for anything or should I sell it? There's no information on the wiki.

From what I can tell, they aren't actually used for any stories. I believe it was put in as a little one-off tribute to the sci-fi author Jack Vance after he died last year.

steam_sig.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ah, that's pretty cool then. I might hang on to it.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    My biggest haul so far was from Venderbrite doing the
    Tomb Colonists tour mission... eleven hundred or so echos, though I think they docked my pay because one of them got ground up and sold as an aphrodisiac or something in the Khanate.

I have gone through five captains so far, and none of them have had such a horrible fate.

Aistan wrote: »
    Ah, that's pretty cool then. I might hang on to it.

If you sell it, you have a chance of drawing the card again, which is neat :) But yeah, that card is a tribute to Jack Vance.

Tomb Colonists tour mission... eleven hundred or so echos, though I think they docked my pay because one of them got ground up and sold as an aphrodisiac or something in the Khanate.

I have gone through five captains so far, and none of them have had such a horrible fate.

That's one I still need to do but finding enough cargo space gets hard as you start to accumulate stuff you need to turn into specific places or need more of before a turn in.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Damn, I stumbled into the Shuttered Palace and was cranking out Persuasive... then I wandered out and now I can't get back.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Playing sunless seas. Have 790 echo. Should I save that for a house? Or upgrade the ship?

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    looks like you have just enough to go on a fuel laden voyage to discover eastern shores and maybe make it back alive

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Anyone have enough of any stat to be a mentor for my character in london?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Rchanen wrote: »
    Playing sunless seas. Have 790 echo. Should I save that for a house? Or upgrade the ship?

House first. That lets you set up wills and heirlooms.

Steam Profile
    edited February 2015
    Actually my first priority is getting a better deck gun, because that's the one thing that you can transfer between captains right away. I'd say gun, then house, then a better engine (the upgrade goes MUCH faster).

I have been so close to getting a Scion like three times now. My last attempt had me on my way back to London with the Outlandish Artifact that would put my heir's Zee Fever at 25, and I didn't notice that running with my light out to save fuel was cranking my Terror level like crazy. My crew mutinied just outside the Shepard's Isles and I died. THAT'S XCOM SUNLESS SEAS BABY.

That's one I still need to do but finding enough cargo space gets hard as you start to accumulate stuff you need to turn into specific places or need more of before a turn in.

In my new game I resolved the Venderbrite colonist quickly
    (it seems like when I play a veteran the colonist resolves with a duel as soon as I arrive on shore)
    and, having just gotten my dispensation from the upstanding London businessman, had enough supplies to take on the tourists immediately. Doing the tour early may end up less of a hassle in the long run.

Dracomicron on
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    How early are you likely to be able to do it? In my case, I had to take them all the way to the eastern edge of the map.

cckerberos.png
    cckerberos wrote: »
    How early are you likely to be able to do it? In my case, I had to take them all the way to the eastern edge of the map.

I will find out later today. I only had to make three stops before they were ready to go home on the run that I succeeded
    Shepard's, Khan's Glory, Irem
    , though my first stop in the new run is different, so I suspect that it's randomized.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Anyone have enough of any stat to be a mentor for my character in london?

@38thDoe mine, shadowy. is that any help

wY6K6Jb.gif
    I'm working on it. Slowly :(

at one point I had enough money to do Watchful but I'm not at Watchful 200 yet, and as it turns out Watchful is one of the hardest stats to grind, late-game.

Currently, trying to get a Gang of Hoodlums. Saving the Roastygold for it by repeatedly dismembering Feducci.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    you gotta have Free Evenings for me to mentor ya - right now you don't appear as a viable option when I try and send you a lesson invitation

wY6K6Jb.gif
    you gotta have Free Evenings for me to mentor ya - right now you don't appear as a viable option when I try and send you a lesson invitation

How do I get those? I don't think I've ever had any. Heh I'm not really sure what I'm doing at all right now. I got my persuasive too high and now every fail gives me a ton of scandal so I'm working on other things. I wish the game was a bit more consistent in telling you what you might lose. Some of the options remove 3-4 levels of a connected without any warning but others warn you that it might hurt your other connections so I was expecting that warning.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

you get them once every week when Time The Healer comes around - tuesday, usually; that's also when the payout from your profession arrives. Don't worry, there aren't really any sort of fail states in FL now that Seeking is out; and when it comes to Seeking getting these failstates is actually what you want to do

wY6K6Jb.gif
    you get them once every week when Time The Healer comes around - tuesday, usually; that's also when the payout from your profession arrives. Don't worry, there aren't really any sort of fail states in FL now that Seeking is out; and when it comes to Seeking getting these failstates is actually what you want to do

Man I can't wait till Seeking comes back just so I can continue to studiously avoid doing it, no matter what NiteBrite tells me. Crazy bastard was my Dangerous mentor for a while and I swear he's like the crack dealer of Seeking.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

How do I get those? I don't think I've ever had any. Heh I'm not really sure what I'm doing at all right now. I got my persuasive too high and now every fail gives me a ton of scandal so I'm working on other things. I wish the game was a bit more consistent in telling you what you might lose. Some of the options remove 3-4 levels of a connected without any warning but others warn you that it might hurt your other connections so I was expecting that warning.

Just to point out, 3-4 levels of a connection is very different depending on how connected you are. Higher levels are harder to gain, so e.g. dropping from 4 to 1 is less than dropping from 20 to 19.5.

I ate an engineer
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Hmm, my current captain is not exactly in a good place. I was running sphinxstones for awhile, but it looks like that is off the table now and I didn't even get paid for that run. I have a child but can't afford a better house, so now I can't carouse either and lowering my nightmare below 50 is really costly. I have enough echoes to stock up on a trip but I'm not sure how to make my money back, I can't even try to explore much farther without worrying about my crew going insane.

Neaden wrote: »
    Hmm, my current captain is not exactly in a good place. I was running sphinxstones for awhile, but it looks like that is off the table now and I didn't even get paid for that run. I have a child but can't afford a better house, so now I can't carouse either and lowering my nightmare below 50 is really costly. I have enough echoes to stock up on a trip but I'm not sure how to make my money back, I can't even try to explore much farther without worrying about my crew going insane.

Killing zee creatures seems to lower terror a bit so you could try blowing up crabs a little south of London. But having a child should open up spending time with them which has its own terror reducing actions.

Making echoes back should be doable going far enough for the more lucrative port reports or interactions. Or hitting whatever port you've been asked to get Strategic Information from. You won't be rolling in money unless you hit an interaction that spits out a treasure, but you'll recoup most of your fuel and build up funds.

Steam Profile
    The ol' rascal Salt got vengeful for me killin' an' nappy lil' bat, and killed me lass n' me boy just as I was comin' to buy them a fit lodge. Nothin' fer me now but te Isle of Cats and te red honey, so I's can 'member te joy of fatherhood... set aside that it's other fathers an' other sons...

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »

Killing zee creatures seems to lower terror a bit so you could try blowing up crabs a little south of London. But having a child should open up spending time with them which has its own terror reducing actions.

Making echoes back should be doable going far enough for the more lucrative port reports or interactions. Or hitting whatever port you've been asked to get Strategic Information from. You won't be rolling in money unless you hit an interaction that spits out a treasure, but you'll recoup most of your fuel and build up funds.

Port reports are how I survive, and you can build up a pretty decent supply of them with a round trip of the zee. A dozen fuel for a dozen reports is easily doable.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    oh hey, Giant Bomb are gonna do a quick look of Sunless Sea in two days. neat.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So I got a second ambition; that's pretty neat. Little trickier than most FL content.

Unfortunately I'm on a pretty low-level character since I forgot my years-old Twitter character, but that isn't so bad.

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.