As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Oh gross you need a whirring contraption for every newspaper edition?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The only time I've really felt fucked by my decision going in blind is the Last Constable

How so? I sided with the constable. I'm guessing from the lack of any follow up that was the wrong choice?

Yeah, if you had sided with the Cheery Man, you get a very infrequent opportunity card that gets you Criminal Favors and some other useful stuff, and also is required to become closest to Criminals

There is a similar Last Constable opportunity card for raising Connected: The Constables, the difference is that becomes locked when you finish the story, so if you sided with her whoops tough luck

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Is there some reason I want to summon Mt. Nomad? I mean other than if I get tired of living.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Is there some reason I want to summon Mt. Nomad? I mean other than if I get tired of living.

To murder it again obviously.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Anyone need an Eyeless Skull? Just found one on the altar of my latest Archaelogical dig

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I used mine to reach the Cave of Ralph Nader or something and now I'm saving up the 400 Echoes I need to actually enter.

Which is a bit of a challenge seeing as I used up a lot of my resources just building up 60 Expedition Supplies.

Apparently if you have 5 Eyeless Skulls you can trade them for the thing you need to enter the cave

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    It took me over a year of mucking around in the Quarter to find the skull I needed to enter

I've found three, in the three months since

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I'm at a stage 2 where I need a ridiculous luck check, or ratly concerns 3 (or fate).

I got one ratly concerns by luck:
    happening to own a ratskin suit and a working rat made a card appear

but that only worked once and further progress now I have that first point seems to be as entirely un-signposted:
    own all 3 rat companions (on of whom costs 320E) or keep flipping cards specifically while stood in watchmakers hill.

Wait, okay. I know what you're talking about now.

That luck seems daunting but that's because the storylet doesn't explain it well: it's affected by one of the qualities you can grind up - Serenity of the Face, I think. Just keep feeding the Big Rat foxfire candles or lamplighter beeswax to raise the quality, or use the Working Rat, who IIRC has better than even chances of scoring a success.

I didn't spend Fate, and I didn't buy a Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief, and I didn't lose a single Working Rat. It's 100% doable, I promise.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    knitdan wrote: »
    I used mine to reach the Cave of Ralph Nader or something and now I'm saving up the 400 Echoes I need to actually enter.

Which is a bit of a challenge seeing as I used up a lot of my resources just building up 60 Expedition Supplies.

Apparently if you have 5 Eyeless Skulls you can trade them for the thing you need to enter the cave

Another option is getting Connected: Revolutionaries to 100. You can use Reaping the Academic Benefits in the Forgotten Quarter to "give a public lecture" and that will raise your Connected with them (also Suspicion, but if you have a way to shed suspicion it's not too bad, just time-consuming).

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Nope, no idea what you're talking about so you must be thinking of a spot further on. I'm pretty sure it really is just a case of getting lucky. The odds probably aren't that bad but luck checks gonna luck and I got frustrated after lots of failure and walked away.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But the Revolutionaries are a bunch of crazy losers, why would I want to be connected with them in any way?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    And hit the current end of the Heart's Desire ambition. The writers seemed to lose interest a bit toward the end. Gathering the first lot of players was an epic quest of startling revelations, the last two players were a pile of expensive items and a couple of stories each.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Nope, no idea what you're talking about so you must be thinking of a spot further on. I'm pretty sure it really is just a case of getting lucky. The odds probably aren't that bad but luck checks gonna luck and I got frustrated after lots of failure and walked away.

Right, I have one storylet available from my lodgings - Carnage on the Street. It has 3 options, one of which requires Sympathetic With Ratly Concerns 3, one of which requires Fate, and one of which is a luck check "a long shot"

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yup, that's where I am. Finally pulled the ratly concerns raising card in watchmaker's hill today. It is of course very infrequent rarity.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Right, I have one storylet available from my lodgings - Carnage on the Street. It has 3 options, one of which requires Sympathetic With Ratly Concerns 3, one of which requires Fate, and one of which is a luck check "a long shot"

You want to do the luck one anyways, it is one of three ways to get a rare weapon.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Is breeding beasts for fun and profit the end of the Labyrinth of Tigers content? There's a locked entry to the next coil option but I can't tell if it's a coy reference to unfinished content or I'm missing the next progression.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    More unfinished content I'm afraid.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Anyone want some Trailing the Affluent Photographer?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Sure

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    finally done

y8OtqyZl.png

finally done with my ~620 action grind of symphonies in the Empress' Court to get up my Scholar of Correspondence so that I can become a Correspondent!

WiVat1gl.png

and I passed the 24% watchful challenge on my first try!

now I have to decide if I want to finally clear out the Empress' Court or write the three poems before I do it...

the poems are literally forty actions of spamming The Lead to complete, each... ughhhhhh

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    What does the Correspondent profession give?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    What does the Correspondent profession give?

The Pot of Violant Ink is a +12 Persuasive/Watchful weapon, but I haven't gotten a weekly payment yet so I don't know that. I could look it up, I guess, but I imagine it's better than the Author.

• Options
    Hahahahahaha, I just went and sold the extra moon pearls I got (81K total, but I like to stay at 10k for those just in case) and ran into the "you can only sell things in batches of 60,000 at a time" thing for the first time.

I can't imagine how often people run into that.

• Options
    I am at the second stage of the University mystery investigations and there's an option ("Ask the Porters") that costs 25 Cryptic Clues per but gives 105 Whispered Hints and a Sudden Insight

I've been grinding that shit and I am soooooo close to Watchful 200 at last

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I am at the second stage of the University mystery investigations and there's an option ("Ask the Porters") that costs 25 Cryptic Clues per but gives 105 Whispered Hints and a Sudden Insight

waaaaaaaat

that is so good

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

waaaaaaaat

that is so good

it is freakishly bizarre to me how much easier watchful and persuasive are to level up than dangerous or especially shadowy

i have spent all of a few days worth of actions at the university and they have sent me from watchful 181 to 199

whereas a couple of agonizing months in the flit got me from shadowy 70 to like, 115 woo

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

waaaaaaaat

that is so good

it is freakishly bizarre to me how much easier watchful and persuasive are to level up than dangerous or especially shadowy

i have spent all of a few days worth of actions at the university and they have sent me from watchful 181 to 199

whereas a couple of agonizing months in the flit got me from shadowy 70 to like, 115 woo

yeah, I managed to get my shadowy from ~80 when I hit POSI all the way to 92 in like four weeks of concerted grinding in the flit

• Options
    Dangerous is easiest to grind for me at looking for stuff in the forgotten quarter, talk to the grave robbers, gives a flat plus ten dangerous on success.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I have still refused to progress past that point, despite actually needing to finish the University for other shit I'm doing

EDIT: Aaaand 180 Watchful, getting there

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I'm guessing it's mainly an artefact of having started playing around Rose Festival time, but the game seems very keen on handing out redundant companions.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'm guessing it's mainly an artefact of having started playing around Rose Festival time, but the game seems very keen on handing out redundant companions.

What makes you say that?
    1aafk9eds3n3.jpeg

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I wish more of the companions at least came with an opportunity card.

• Options
    I love Puppy the Slavering Dream Hound.

He guards my sleep from the nightmares.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    After years of struggle and learning at the great expense of my mind, body, (occasionally soul; or other's souls), and just a metric boatload of echoes, I have finally become an Extraordinary Mind

Now the clock ticks down until this inevitably locks me out of content, or I end up needing to unalign with the Docks or something because it isn't feasible to be closest to them if you're not *specifically* Dangerous

But this moment is glorious

• Options
    Heh, yep I know it will screw me somehow so even though I'd like to mentor someone I'm not choosing a specialization.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    So, I'm wandering the forgotten quarter, hoping to chance upon some more eyeless skulls, but I'm also needing to offload some nightmares. Anyone care to help?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So, I'm wandering the forgotten quarter, hoping to chance upon some more eyeless skulls, but I'm also needing to offload some nightmares. Anyone care to help?
    I do. Though I just spent all my actions, so I won't be able to do so right away.

• Options

this is the same thing I'll be doing for the next few weeks

• Options

I'll take your excess Nightmares. I have a savior of souls card ready to fire off when my suspicion and scandal get too high and I may as well pile nightmares onto that as well for extra efficiency.

• Options

I'll take your excess Nightmares. I have a savior of souls card ready to fire off when my suspicion and scandal get too high and I may as well pile nightmares onto that as well for extra efficiency.

I sent one before realizing I only had a single Sudden Insight on hand. Hopefully I'll acquire more soon.

jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.