As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I spent all of May's Exceptional Story leaning one way, then once I had a chat with someone I reversed myself pretty quickly. Honestly the whole thing was kind of a letdown.

At least I got some Alien Screams out of it.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Speaking of breeding beasts. Does anyone know offhand if the ocular toadbeast pet has a card associated with it?

I know the hound, ocelot, and horse do, but I never saw it. Is it worth keeping around?

It does. Two options, pretty sure both are luck based. Can't recall the outcomes

My cursory searches can't find the actual card, but I did find more than several posts saying that it is garbage. I guess I won't breed a new one of these. I will stick with just my owl and my dream hound.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Speaking of breeding beasts. Does anyone know offhand if the ocular toadbeast pet has a card associated with it?

I know the hound, ocelot, and horse do, but I never saw it. Is it worth keeping around?

It does. Two options, pretty sure both are luck based. Can't recall the outcomes

My cursory searches can't find the actual card, but I did find more than several posts saying that it is garbage. I guess I won't breed a new one of these. I will stick with just my owl and my dream hound.

One option either gives you an Extraordinary Implication or smacks up your nightmares; the other option either gives you a handful of cheap pets (lizard, bat, weasel, rat, one more I'm forgetting) or ups your scandal while eating some of your Connected: the Duchess

Given my magic touch on the RNG, I mainly use the little devil for intentionally accruing nightmares and scandal

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    cB557 wrote: »
    Cave of Nadir
    h8gkwfafss0m.png
    I don't really care about either of these people. Any of these options give particularly good rewards or particularly interesting story stuff?
    One of the bottom two options has you steal their stuff while they argue. Its not particularly good. The two with the people give you them as a unique item.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Cave of Nadir
    h8gkwfafss0m.png
    I don't really care about either of these people. Any of these options give particularly good rewards or particularly interesting story stuff?
    One of the bottom two options has you steal their stuff while they argue. Its not particularly good. The two with the people give you them as a unique item.

Additionally:
    IIRC, either of them, upgraded during the feast in February is BiS for (I think) Watchful

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Cave of Nadir
    h8gkwfafss0m.png

Additionally:
    IIRC, either of them, upgraded during the feast in February is BiS for (I think) Watchful
    Do either unlock any good storylets or anything later?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    No story that I've encountered with them.
    Cave of Nadir
    h8gkwfafss0m.png

Additionally:

Better than the Ubergoat even? That thing is pretty watchful.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Cave of Nadir
    h8gkwfafss0m.png

Additionally:
    Do either unlock any good storylets or anything later?
    The Firebrand works on my newspaper. Don't know if the Missionary does the same.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I haven't really been into any of the Season of Stones' stories so far. Then again, I felt the same way about the Season of Wrecks, and then the closing storylette for the season made it all worth it in retrospect. Maybe it'll happen this time as well?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    No story that I've encountered with them.
    Cave of Nadir
    h8gkwfafss0m.png

Additionally:

Better than the Ubergoat even? That thing is pretty watchful.

always exclude the goats, those things are ridiculously unfair

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I've got really into this month's story. Currently stood on a rooftop unable to make a decision. Leaning towards siding with feathers but not 100% comfortable with the decision for the sake of the others.
    Went with encouraging her to join. It's still her decision, a family reunion, and the great game spins on.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    got an echo of that?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Sorry, I always think of that just after I've dismissed it.
    There wasn't much detail, she silently disappeared and the remaining gang drift apart.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    hmm
    I went the other way. I'm deep in the game, sure, but only pawns play the game for its own sake; I've got goals, and letting the foreign ministry hitch an unscrupulous ride on the back of literal children is one step too far. Besides, the way London is going, some goodness for goodness' sake isn't something to scoff at. Heroes deserve to be celebrated.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I haven't really been into any of the Season of Stones' stories so far. Then again, I felt the same way about the Season of Wrecks, and then the closing storylette for the season made it all worth it in retrospect. Maybe it'll happen this time as well?

The Clay Man's Arm left me cold, but I really liked April's story. It was almost parable-like in its simplicity, but I liked that, and it had a ton more choice than some of the recent entries.

• Options
    Inside the Mind of a Long Dead God:
    So Storm is somehow responsible for the glim in the roof; something to do with smashing down barriers getting into the Neath, or sometime shortly afterwards? And the Fingerkings are also somehow involved?

Becoming possessed by the thunder is amazing. The manic tone and meaty chunks of lore are a nice change of pace

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    So Storm is somehow responsible for the glim in the roof; something to do with smashing down barriers getting into the Neath, or sometime shortly afterwards? And the Fingerkings are also somehow involved?

Becoming possessed by the thunder is amazing. The manic tone and meaty chunks of lore are a nice change of pace
    Storm is a Dragon sent by the Judgements to see what the Bazaar is doing, and possibly to make it stop. It hasn't made it stop though, I'm not sure why. Storm came from the High Wilderness and busted it's way down here into the Neath. Glim comes from Moon Misers, weird bug animal things that live on the roof. You encounter them in the Ligh Finger ambition, I'm not sure if you see them anyplace else. They're connected to the rubbery men and probably from whatever planet they are. The Fingerkings live behind mirrors in Parabola and don't exist, but they exist more than most things that don't exist. They are untrustworthy fuckers.

• Options
    Neaden wrote: »

Storm is a Dragon sent by the Judgements to see what the Bazaar is doing, and possibly to make it stop. It hasn't made it stop though, I'm not sure why. Storm came from the High Wilderness and busted it's way down here into the Neath. Glim comes from Moon Misers, weird bug animal things that live on the roof. You encounter them in the Ligh Finger ambition, I'm not sure if you see them anyplace else. They're connected to the rubbery men and probably from whatever planet they are. The Fingerkings live behind mirrors in Parabola and don't exist, but they exist more than most things that don't exist. They are untrustworthy fuckers.
    Knew most or all of this at one point. My ambition is Nemesis, but I'm positive I found a dead moon miser in a box once, and was able to deduce that the sloughed off shell was glim, although for the life of me I can't remember the specific circumstances.

My reference was to a card I pulled inside the god's mind, which I'll have to paraphrase here since I didn't save it. Something like, "I shall smash down the barriers that stand between me and (my goal?). I shall take the pieces, and scatter them towards the sky, and they shall become the stars. I shall cause such (chaos?) that even the snakes will stare through their empty frames for a time in wonder."

Really wishing I'd got a screenshot. That said, I'm succeeding nearly every dire challenge I come upon, so I might be I here awhile; I'll post the specific text if I find it again

• Options
    The follow up, wherein I immediately start to question my own intial reading of the facts:
    The Sky is glittering now
    I see through these boundaries between worlds and I smash them! I breach the barriers so the snakes can peer through! And I gather up the twinkling shards remaining and I scatter them across the night sky for my stars! It is no longer dry and dead!

• Options

Knew most or all of this at one point. My ambition is Nemesis, but I'm positive I found a dead moon miser in a box once, and was able to deduce that the sloughed off shell was glim, although for the life of me I can't remember the specific circumstances.

My reference was to a card I pulled inside the god's mind, which I'll have to paraphrase here since I didn't save it. Something like, "I shall smash down the barriers that stand between me and (my goal?). I shall take the pieces, and scatter them towards the sky, and they shall become the stars. I shall cause such (chaos?) that even the snakes will stare through their empty frames for a time in wonder."

Really wishing I'd got a screenshot. That said, I'm succeeding nearly every dire challenge I come upon, so I might be I here awhile; I'll post the specific text if I find it again
    End of affair of the box isn't it? Its been awhile since I've done that now.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    AersienAersien Registered User regular

End of affair of the box isn't it? Its been awhile since I've done that now.
    Not at the end, but partway through.
    "In the box"

The Drownie wants some privacy to sing her song, so you leave her alone with your box under the arch of a bridge. She must have started. You can't hear anything, but your hands shake and your teeth hurt. You can move only slowly, like you're far down in the black depths of the Unterzee.

And then it stops. There's a series of seven clicks from the archway, and a splash. When you turn the corner of rough brick, the Drownie is gone. She's left you with an unlocked box.

You open the box, and something climbs out. Something has a glistening carapace the colour of smoked sapphires. Something is made almost entirely of legs. Too many legs. It was folded up tight in there, and now it's out it stands taller than you. The crab-insect thing lets out a low gurgling moan, astonishingly like the noise of a Rubbery Man being murdered. It falls to the floor with a crash, quite dead.

Was the box keeping it alive? Or is there something disagreeable about the fog? Either way, this thing is made of glim. Some of it is cracked and pitted, but the quality is extraordinary – what they call 'skyfire glim'. And what's this, in the bottom of the box? A little bundle of letters, tied with a red ribbon.

The script is that of the Fourth City, but you can read a few words. These are love letters. What in the Neath?
    "A hurried meeting"

Dr Vaughan is persecuted by the Masters to the point where she's rarely in London. But she has to meet her publishers occasionally, and you've managed to get a quarter-hour with her in a cramped office on Blackfinger Street.

You tell her about the thing in the box. "A moon-miser! They live on the roof – you know, the false-stars. Shed their carapaces and glim falls. And on the roof they stay. Even the Masters understand that. Their exudations – well, the informal name is 'moon-milk'. Horribly dangerous substance. Powerful, though. If a Master was keeping it in a box... I can't believe its peers would permit that. How interesting."

"I can't make any sense of the Fourth City connection... although, love-letters, Hm. Moon-milk has a connection with love. Best not talk about it here... and I have to get back to zee before those damnable bats catch up with me. The Gracious Widow might know something. Thank you for the map! Good luck. And be very careful. The Masters' games are ungentle."

• Options
    Bifurcated an owl. Went to the Iron Republic (odd place...)

I feel a bit like I'm running out of content but I've found very few references to a lot of the deeper lore stuff that is discussed about the nature of The Bazaar and The Neath. I suppose between untaken ambitions, and seeking there's a big chunk of stuff I'll likely never see.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    They are really stingy on handing out lore in Fallen London. Sunless Sea gives it out much more freely.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, I've also reached a point where there really isn't a lot​ of non fate-locked active content left. For me, it's ​almost the Minecraft problem, where I feel almost overwhelmed with how much I have to do, until I remember for a second that every real task I have set in front of me is completely self-imposed

Level up An Experienced Zailor and A Scholar of the Coorespondence as high as possible. Acquire as many top-tier and secondary top-tier items as possible (things like The last known location of a one-time prince of hell, and An Intriguer's Compendium). Get my five-card house at the holidays. Boost Watchful as high as possible. Eke out an Impossible Theorum (dreading this one, so so much). Become as renowned as possible, with everybody. And thats not even counting the extra insane stuff, like multiple goats, and trying to keep a Noman alive through the Feast.

I'm enjoying myself now, because I love the world and the feeling of "living" the world, and am eager to see if teased stuff (like the sixth city) will become playable at some point. And I'm definitely going to work through as many story of the months as possible, when I can afford it. But I can also definitely see waking up one morning and just suddenly, aggressively losing interest, like I did last time right after getting my Bazaar lodgings

mrpaku on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've also reached a point where there really isn't a lot​ of non fate-locked active content left. For me, it's ​almost the Minecraft problem, where I feel almost overwhelmed with how much I have to do, until I remember for a second that every real task I have set in front of me is completely self-imposed

Level up An Experienced Zailor and A Scholar of the Coorespondence as high as possible. Acquire as many top-tier and secondary top-tier items as possible (things like The last known location of a one-time prince of hell, and An Intriguer's Compendium). Get my five-card house at the holidays. Boost Watchful as high as possible. Eke out an Impossible Theorum (dreading this one, so so much). Become as renowned as possible, with everybody. And thats not even counting the extra insane stuff, like multiple goats, and trying to keep a Noman alive through the Feast.

I'm enjoying myself now, because I love the world and the feeling of "living" the world, and am eager to see if teased stuff (like the sixth city) will become playable at some point. And I'm definitely going to work through as many story of the months as possible, when I can afford it. But I can also definitely see waking up one morning and just suddenly, aggressively losing interest, like I did last time right after getting my Bazaar lodgings

That was my path with the game. I got really far - 100s in every stat - but the grinding took a toll. I still have fond memories, but every time I try to return, I quickly remember why I burned out.

Still loved Sunless Sea and am stoked for Sunless Skies. I'm also enjoying House of Many Doors for its Failbetterish vibe.

• Options
    Friends, I have found myself in the embarrassing situation of not being Dangerous enough to continue in a particular quest line. In an effort to get myself back into fighting shape, I am happily accepting all sparring bouts sent my way (from your lodgings).

I am Winter IV in Fallen London and I will be in debt to my new fighting partners.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Oh my god getting these bejewelled lenses for my zubmarine is DRIVING ME CRAZY. ON SO MANY DIFFERENT LEVELS.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Oh my god getting these bejewelled lenses for my zubmarine is DRIVING ME CRAZY. ON SO MANY DIFFERENT LEVELS.

I almost stopped playing because of it

I had the materials for 5 of them in my inventory already and then trying to get the last couple of diamonds was actually impossible and completely miserable and so annoying and arghghghghghghgh

I got them by going on expedition: thieve's cache until I received the mask as a reward. I have no idea if this is the most efficient option; I could not figure it out. I think you can also fish for them in the gem store in the Bazaar streets by buying a bag of broken diamonds and hoping for a critical success but that is *so boring*

but yes, eventually I did obtain the necessary materials, and I went to zee and came back to London with renewed zest. Have hope!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    I'm not sure why I'd go to all the effort to grind up a better boat. Do they open up new destinations? I was under the impression they just made zailing easier, and it isn't that hard really.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why I'd go to all the effort to grind up a better boat. Do they open up new destinations? I was under the impression they just made zailing easier, and it isn't that hard really.

Bigger holds, more guns, tougher hulls.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I just thought it would be cool, flavor-wise, to have a Zubmarine...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Bigger holds, more guns, tougher hulls.

Sorry, should have been clearer. Fallen London, not Sunless Sea.

Gotta have end game grinds I suppose.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    In Fallen London, the Pleasure Yacht is the best BDR, but the Zubmarine has some better zailing cards if you do that a lot.

I went yacht because BDR is way more important to me than the occasional times I'll go zailing

• Options
    I went with the yacht because as bullshit as the gamble is, it is a great bit of writing where you sit down vs Mr. Apples in a game of extremely high stakes mahjong.

Also I got really lucky and won on my first try.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2017
    @Delmain could you teach my orphans the Correspondence? Their eager young minds are just burning for knowledge.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Delmain could you teach my orphans the Correspondence? Their eager young minds are just burning for knowledge.

I can, sorry, haven't logged in in a few days

• Options

I am currently in the mind of the god...
    I am curious, are Storm and Thunder the same?
    Because it constantly refers to Thunder as a dead god and the Neath as the skull of some pagan deity. Is Storm a second beasty that has come down?

And what is Thunders link to the North? How is a storm good connected to Mr. Eaten? Is it something to do with Parabola? It seems like when creatures of this calibur "die" they leave a huge impression on Parabola that draws in dreams? Maybe?

• Options
    YES

http://www.failbettergames.com/fallen-london-reworks/
    ....Some of their work will take place behind the scenes, improving our tools for writing Fallen London content. Much of it, however, will take centre stage. We’ve deliberated what’s possible development-wise within 2017, and what will be most delectable to you, our players.

The team’s priorities include continuations of some of Fallen London’s most long-awaited stories. The Cheery Man and the Last Constable. The Dilmun Club. A Return to the Empress’ Court. And – dare we say it? – the next chapter in the Light Fingers ambition!

To begin with, we’ll be continuing to add new factions to the Favour/Renown system, including prestigious new items to be earned from the Constables and Hell. Perhaps you’d like to be belt out a Hellish Hymn, or be one of the few who knows about the Place Where they Bury the Bodies. We’ll also be releasing an expansion to the social content available through your Lodgings, taking advantage of some changes in the technology that governs social acts.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    This is great news! I was actually getting a little worried as once I finish up getting all of the current renown rewards the only path left is ... The Name.

But this means that a few new factions will have a grind once I finish up the last one on my list. The tomb Colonists are the only ones who I still need to get that elusive 40 renown with.

On a minor side note, a little annoyed that the rubbery man reward and the docks reward are functionally the same. Especially as the rubbery reward requires fate to collect.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    so, who went with what on this latest ES? I stayed true, though I regret it from an OOC point of view; siding with the Seamstress might've been more interesting

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.