As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Games and Technology
Fallen London is a free to play browser game from Failbetter Games. The year is 1889, and 30 years ago, London was stolen by giant bats.

Gazette.jpg

Though no one says "stolen" anymore, except for the anarchists and revolutionaries. The rest of the residents have grown quite accustomed to the situation. Now London is ruled by the mysterious Masters of the Echo Bazaar, and is full of devils dressed like gangsters, talking cats, Clay Men (don't ask if they're actually made of clay; they don't ask you if you're made of meat), poets, murderers, monster-hunters and worse roaming the gloomy streets.

Most games use various baubles in their reward loops to keep players coming. Fallen London uses words. It has more words than War and Peace, with stories, plots, characters and narratives going back and forth between political intrigue, elder things from beyond the skies, real world historical events, multi-continental mythologies, colors that don't actually exist, and romance. You develop your character in whatever way you see fit - they can be agile or clever or persuasive or hulking or all or none. They can make important decisions unique to them and terrible mistakes delving into forbidden mysteries the rest of the playerbase has no idea about. They can join the player-vs-player leagues of Knife and Candle and stab their friends in their back. They can take part in a high stakes game of chance who's winner gets their hearts desire or go after the murderer of a loved one or steal a diamond the size of a cow. They can be you.

How to play:

Signing Up

Go to fallenlondon.storynexus.com. If you already have a Storynexus account, you can put in your email and password. If you don’t, click the “SIGN UP WITH EMAIL” button and follow the instructions.

tumblr_inline_n7hzl0geq61s656jm.jpg
tumblr_inline_n7hzw0EJjr1s656jm.jpg

Prison

You get two choices in the beginning. You can either hear some introductory stuff, or you can skip it. Whichever one you do is up to you, and will not affect your experience.

tumblr_inline_n7i02rRAun1s656jm.jpg
tumblr_inline_n7i0a83R901s656jm.jpg

Bazaar

After you get out of prison and choose somewhere to go, you gain access to all the regular features of the game, including the bazaar, where you will buy and sell items. Sooner or later, you’re going to need to get a house. It allows you to unlock more storylets and have more cards in your hand, so this should be right after getting out of prison. Do whatever is closest to you. When you finish one of them, you can buy your house.

tumblr_inline_n7i0z9opNx1s656jm.jpg
tumblr_inline_n7i1bdhXWW1s656jm.jpg

Traveling

When you log in, you enter where you were before. I was at my lodgings. The following is some of my available storylets…

tumblr_inline_n7jv8epOgy1s656jm.jpg

You can get to the central districts and the carnival pretty easily. Finding things to do is a completely different matter. However, many places are quite difficult to reach, and some places have more than one way to gain access to them. After you unlock the central districts, a pulldown map appears to allow you to navigate.

tumblr_inline_n7jvflyWv51s656jm.jpg

Cards

Right below the map in the above picture are two oppurtunity cards. Cards contain special occurences, such as a mugging, that may repeat more than one time, or may not. Most of what you draw from the cards is random, but specific cards can remain hidden until one of your qualities reaches the specified amount. Some cards have different colored borders to specify their importance.

tumblr_inline_n7jvmiZqBE1s656jm.jpg

[these materials were taken from http://game-bit.tumblr.com/, who is solely responsible with the creation of the vast majority of the intorductiory content above; due credit goes to them]

wY6K6Jb.gif
Indie Winter on

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJN-u8qYWC8

Sunless Sea is the second game from Failbetter set in the FL universe. While Fallen London focuses on the city of Fallen London and its environs, Sunless Sea shifts focus to the Neath, the giant cave to which London has, well, Fallen. More specifically, it allows you to sail the Unterzee, a giant saltwater lake the size of europe, and trade, explore, fight, and engage in a war between tech-savvy rats and feudalistic guinea pigs. The gameplay is best described as a mix between Elite, FTL, and Don't Starve. It's a "roguelike". It is Punishing with a capital P. But like Fallen London, the reward you get doesn't necessarily come from the mechanics: it comes from the world, the atmosphere, the lore. Lore which contains locales such as these:

Whither
    whither_portgaz.png
    The citizens enjoy questions: so much so that they always answer a question with another question. They subsist on cave-fish and the dust-burrowing beasts of the Waste. Their beer, however, is adequate.

Polythreme
    polythreme_portgaz.png
    IN POLYTHREME THE BED I SLEPT ON WAS A SLAVE. THE ROOM WHERE I SLEPT WAS HACKED FROM SCREAMING STONE. THE WATER I DRANK BEGGED ME TO STOP. THEY PAID ME IN COIN THAT PLOTTED MY DOWNFALL. THE MEMORIES ARE TROUBLING. THIS PLACE IS BETTER.

Khan’s Heart
    khansheart_portgaz.png
    An oasis of light in the salt black wastes. Canals thread the painted city. Street-lamps glow and water-taxis putter. The Copper Quarter offers comfort to foreigners, but the prices are, to put it mildly, mischievous.

and monsters such as these:

The Bound Shark
    boundsharkgaz.png
    The most tormented of zee-beasts. Its murderous eyes peep from its caged flesh like convicts begging release.

The Lifeberg
    lifeberg_topgaz.png
    Those – rifts – in the Lifeberg’s surface. Are they mouths? Lifebergs do not breathe. They kill from malice, not hunger. But they speak. Dear Christ, they speak.

The Lorn-Fluke
    fluke_topgaz.png
    “Do you recall how they came to that place? And you sang of your lightnings and shapeful disgrace? They tilted their vanes and ennobled their spires. You welcomed them then and commingled all choirs.
    “You can remember those days. It can be as it was.”

Sunless Sea has gotten some very good press:

Sunless sea is now available on Steam for $19

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • KhoshekhKhoshekh Registered User regular
    I've been playing both Fallen London and Sunless Sea and have to admit to being absolutely besotted by both. Sunless Sea is looking like it will be quite incredible once it is completely finished.

"Baby," I said. "I'm a genius but nobody knows it but me."
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Sunless Sea is probably my favourite Early Access game and the one I most look forwards to updates for. So I'll endorse it as awesome.

Fallen London I enjoy but just wish it had a little more to it.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Link in the OP is broken.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Sunless Sea looks good, but I'm going to wait for it to come out and be feature compelte before getting into it.

I've been playing Fallen London off and on for a couple years now, the game gets grindy towards the end but the writing is good enough for me to overlook it. I really recommend it for anyone who likes what they see of Sunless Sea.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Sunless sea was really interesting. But good god the rewards for quests are rarely enough to cover the cost of doing them. In the end I could only make money by trading (which is super boring) or beating the snot out of pirates (equally boring after the 5th-6th run) Considering you need huge quantities of money to make progress it just made me lose interest. It's a shame cause the world building was pretty cool.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Link in the OP is broken.

Sorry about that! fixed now

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Wasn't this called Echo Bazaar? I'm confused.

edited July 2014
    They did a bit of rebranding a while back - figured a game called "Fallen London" will sound more approachable than "Echo Bazaar". They weren't wrong.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I played this ages ago, back when it was still Echo bazaar. I'm interested to see how it's changed in that time. I'm also interested in sunless sea, but I'm at the point where I'm not going to buy early access games anymore.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited July 2014
    One of my favorie bits from Fallen London:

“You warn the devil that the singer will betray him, and that the Brass Embassy is on his trail. The Absconding Devil puts down his suitcase and smiles a little smile that has nothing to do with humour. ‘Of course I knew. Of course.’ Devils are difficult to read. He is expressionless as he takes out a handkerchief. He wipes his yellow eye and presses something into your hand before heading up the gangplank. In your hand is a teardrop-shaped diamond. Perhaps the Absconding Devil was playing with you. That’s it. Devils are known for their sleight of hand. For good or ill, the case is over. The Embassy will not pay you your fee, but you have a story to tell… and a particular diamond.”

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited July 2014
    A thing to note is that, at the conclusion of that storyline, you don't have to tell the truth to the Absconding Devil. You can work with the singer to hide her their escape, or report them to the Brass Embassy, or wash your hands of the whole thing and walk away. It's up to you.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    heenato wrote: »
    I played this ages ago, back when it was still Echo bazaar. I'm interested to see how it's changed in that time. I'm also interested in sunless sea, but I'm at the point where I'm not going to buy early access games anymore.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

As a concept, Early Access is a sound one, but too often it seems to me that it means a game is indefinitely "under construction" and it's used as an excuse not to polish a game.

edited July 2014
    Khoshekh wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »

Yeah, I know what you mean.

As a concept, Early Access is a sound one, but too often it seems to me that it means a game is indefinitely "under construction" and it's used as an excuse not to polish a game.

Agreed. Luckily enough, Failbetter thought of that:

ROAD MAP

EXPLORERS’ BETA - Released 29th April.

RUBY - released 21st May. Stability, major survival system upgrades, and the islands of Shepherd’s Wash.

AMETHYST - released 5th June. Combat and beastie spawning upgrades, the isles around the Sea of Voices, and Void’s Approach, where Mt Nomad waits…

GOLD - our soft-launch Early Access release on 17th June. A shiny new combat UI, a new save mode, more content and the Khanate at the heart of the Unterzee.

CORSAIR’S GOLD - our Steam Early Access release on 1st July. Our Steam Early Access release on 1st July. Darkness management improvements, story interface upgrade, tyrant-moths and the Watching Eye…

EMERALD - slated for late July. Map shuffling, more sophisticated legacies, additional beasties, the Iron Republic, the Sea of Autumns, the Reef of Roses.

AQUAMARINE - early August. Neutral vessels, wandering phenomena. The Chelonate on its giant turtle-shell and the Promised Sea where the Fathomking holds court..

CARNELIAN - early September. Officers integrated as crew, additional equipment, currents. The South: Carnelian Coast and Dawn’s Edge.

SAPPHIRE - late September – final release! Final graphical upgrades and optimisations, and the most challenging form of victory. The East: Irem and the Pillared Sea, the Deconstruction, Saviour’s Rocks with the octomaran Tree of Ages.

map3.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    That's one of the things that I really like about Sunless Sea. The developers have set themselves goals and a timeline of when they are to accomplish certain things. I can respect that much more than the usual "it's done when it's done".

That maps not accurate to the current in game map at all by the way for people wondering :P

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I bought the game, but I'll probably wait for the Sapphire release to play it. I've burnt myself out on Early Access games by getting bored of them before they were done, and not wanting to go back to play for "release".

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2014
    Whoof! What a month! On 1st July, we launched Sunless Sea in Early Access on Steam. It did, by the standards of an indie studio’s debut videogame, really very well. This was great – and thank you all for your support – but it also meant we spent weeks struggling to deal with support issues, press, and infrastructure work. We’re back on top now, but it cost us a chunk of development and writing time

So EMERALD is a slimmed-down version of what we originally planned. But we’re determined not to go too long between major updates, so we’re getting this one out of the door. It’s in final testing now – you can expect to see it drop in the next few days.

Here’s what’s coming…

MAP SHUFFLING. This is the headline feature. The Unterzee now feels properly uncertain on each new career. We’ve gone beyond what we originally said we’d do – not only is the map shuffled between each replay, but also you’ll see variant forms of some tiles and islands. It’s working smoothly and we’ve been careful about what gets shuffled where, but expect weird and wonderful balance stuff until it settles down.
    NEW LANDS! We didn’t manage to get Rattsey or Visage in – those will come later – but you’ll see the Salt Lions, the Mangrove College and the Sea of Autumns, and especially the Iron Republic.
    SHIP NAMES. You’ll begin the game with a random ship name, but you can now rename it without buying a new one.
    ZEE-BAT. This now works properly, and comes with a Mark On Chart feature to make it easier to navigate to newly spotted islands.
    CHART IMPROVEMENTS. It’s much easier to wrangle the chart, and it’s now way prettier.
    NEW SOUND EFFECTS. Liam’s been working on making the zee much more audible. I particularly enjoy the bats, myself.
    NEW CONTENT. If you’ve been using Get New Stories regularly you’ll have seen a lot of this, but look out especially for the Overheard on Deck events, the Nephrite Quarter in the Khanate and the unusual trading options in the Iron Republic. (The word count in Sunless Sea has officially passed 100,000 words with this release.)
    We were hoping to get enhancements to Legacies in too – but that’ll have to wait, sorry.
    AND THE FUTURE. So we’ve been listening carefully to feedback. The two biggest problems with the game are

(i) combat – too long, too frequent, not fun enough

(ii) rewards – too hard to get started and too random

As we’ve said, this is going to improve over time. But we’re going to shift the priority away from filling out each island with random events, and more towards systems and interconnected stories. It’s mostly the same content implemented in a different order – but you should find that you’ll start to see more plot arcs and routes through the game, even though the islands look a little emptier for a while.
    COMBAT is a different matter. We knew it needed work – you can see it’s marked as about 65% on our progress plan – but the feedback has been very clearly that it’s the weakest part of the game right now. So our current plan (TBC this week) is to

* relabel it as 50% complete
    * focus the month of August, and an extra release – STEEL – on combat, beastie pathfinding, and related issues
    * slip the other releases by a month.
    That’s a pain for us – and we know it’s not great news for people eager for the final release - but there’s no point us listening to feedback if we don’t respond to it. We want to make the best game we can, and all of you are helping us do that. So – thank you all! We’ll see you on the other side of EMERALD.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Randomized Zee is a terrifying concept.

I already get lost when I know where things *should* be.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Loving those patch notes, I might actually pick this up when it is complete.

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    A February release date for Sunless Sea shimmers on the horizon.

An updated road-map in there too, so you can see what is on the cards next.

steam_sig.png
    The Sapphire patch will land this week apparently. Looking forward to it! It promises more generous Legacies to help new Captains get started, and neutral vessels to be spotted travelling the dark of the Unterzee.

steam_sig.png
    Ashe wrote: »
    The Sapphire patch will land this week apparently. Looking forward to it! It promises more generous Legacies to help new Captains get started, and neutral vessels to be spotted travelling the dark of the Unterzee.
    When I played this the first legacy was so far away it was basically unattainable. I'm deliberately not using hints or outside sites.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Preview of the new legacy bits: Clicky

steam_sig.png
    Sapphire has landed.
    A multi-faceted update: new stories, new gameplay and a feast of new artwork.

This is V0.6.3.1751, currently available on Steam (Humble versions always come along a little later due to timezones).

FEATURES

Legacies have been re-designed. When you die, choose your relationship to the late captain. More control over what you receive to take into your next game, and an idea of why you got it.
    Neutral vessels have been added to the Unterzee. Sail alongside them and your crew will be soothed by their presence. Follow them to discover new trade routes. Shoot at them if you fancy, but they will retaliate.
    Qualities in your journal are now grouped into categories. These categories can be expanded or contracted to display more or less information.
    The game now autosaves after each story choice while you are docked at a port.
    The latest update news is now always visible on the title screen.
    The Sea of Lilies has now been added to the map (with content to follow. You will need to start a new game to see this location).
    Stories galore! Espionage, masked encounters, cruelty, desire and a mystery from Fallen London’s past… If you have not been getting new stories as they come, you’re in for a feast.
    FIXES

Some items cannot be thrown overboard (such as passengers. You shouldn’t throw passengers overboard.)
    All available stories should now be visible when you are in Fallen London, not just the first 8. Simply go to the story overview page to see them all.
    The Caligo-class Merchant Cruiser now has an Aft slot, allowing you to equip aft weapons and Secure Storage.

steam_sig.png
    Sunless Sea wins bestest best words on RPS.

Well deserved!

steam_sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I just picked this up. I really like it, but geez Louise getting started is crushingly difficult.

rRwz9.gif
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    No kidding. I really want to like it but the stress of scraping together enough fuel to keep sailing is just making it unfun for me. I'm not sure if I really like the new combat or not either.

vhzod wrote: »
    No kidding. I really want to like it but the stress of scraping together enough fuel to keep sailing is just making it unfun for me. I'm not sure if I really like the new combat or not either.
    The new combat is a great way to make fuel even more scarce.
    I honestly have no idea how to get started anymore.

Post #7 on this thread might help you. A really good way to approach the game.

My own blurb from it, too, in case it is useful:
    I initially started out aiming for a laid-back, relatively-relaxing tactic of trading with Venderbight until I had reasonable funds. I've since discovered this isn't the way to go. It is much more entertaining, atmospheric, and immersive (and in many cases profitable) to just load up with fuel and explore. Go with the flow, experience what the wide Unterzee has to offer, and maybe return to London terrified but with enough far-away port reports to fund the next adventure.

Also, if you weren't already aware, keeping your lights turned off reduces fuel-consumption quite significantly (and makes combat easier as you can sneak up on enemies and get an important couple of shots away before they can find you)

steam_sig.png
    Diamond landed last week.
    SUNLESS SEA leaves early access in early February. Here’s DIAMOND, a delicious update which brings us tantalizingly close to the finished article.

GAMEPLAY
    New features
    Weather!
    There is now a chance of adverse weather in the Unterzee. This will affect combat, slowing you down or reducing visibility.
    Better combat animations!
    Some beasties will flinch when hit, or grasp at you with their terrible claws. They’ll also die quite prettily. More coming soon.
    New weapon characteristic: stagger!
    Some weapons will now stagger your enemies, knocking their crew to the deck and therefore setting back their preparations. They can also do the same to you!
    Surprise attacks!
    Some beasties can now start submerged and sneak up on you.
    Tweaks
    Some combat items, such as the Rattus Faber Assistant, are now usable even when you don’t have a target.
    Combat items now have cooldowns, rather than warm-ups.
    Weapon damage variation ranges are now increased and scale with the amount of damage that you deal.
    Reversing speed has been reduced.
    Enemies should be able to spot you more easily when your lights are off.
    Both weapons and usable items now have hotkeys (1-9)
    Bug Fixes
    Trading ships should no longer infinitely spawn.
    The number of storylets that are displayed in the bottom right hand corner has been reduced from 8 to 7, to prevent issues on smaller monitor resolutions.
    One Known Issue
    If you reach a storylet you have to resolve, and choose to exit to the title menu instead of resolving it, when you load the game back up, you will not be able to close the gazetteer. Instead, you will have to play an available storylet or close the game and reload it in order to continue.

STORIES
    She will lean forward and whisper to you: “This is the nature of Irem. It is the beach where history comes to rest.”

Your Father’s Bones – the closest thing to a main storyline – is now available, complete with variant endings.
    You can now explore off the edges of the map, though no good will come of it.
    There is now a conclusion to the Salt-Lions story; in fact, six different conclusions, including an Easter egg Legacy effect.
    The Presbyterate Adventuress now has a storyline.
    The Icarus in Black weapon will allow you to fire monster-hunters at monsters.
    The Tomb-Colonist plotlines will now allow you to carry a party of bandaged hooligans round the ports of the Unterzee.
    ART
    You can now zail by Frostfound, Irem, Aestival and Sea of Statues admiringly (there are also some stories at each of them, though not final ones).

Crying Heights is there to marvel over too, but be warned that there is no port.

The beautification of the game continues at a hot pace, with many new and revamped port and item illustrations to discover on your travels.

Started afresh to see how it works for a new captain. Still blooming sublime. My goodness I adore this game.

steam_sig.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This is really a gem. I have a lot of fun seeing what crazy adventures my captain can get up to!

He sure does enjoy his human flesh.

After I got a handle on the goings on I made a point of scamming the local mob out of their money by having my captain fake his death. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. He had a life raft and the comatose ferret made it out, too.)

Since then he has bought a really nice engine for the ship, gotten his new crew butchered by the mob on the docks of London for an entirely unrelated slight, and is attempting to woo a deviless with gifts of souls. That last bit is kinda slow going because she is moor and gone on the other side of the unterzee and requires something of a grand tour for each visit.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Some of the new artwork is so beeeautifuuuul.

I was going to post screenies, but stopped myself. Much more fun for the stunning scenery to emerge out of darkness and fog in-game, to give the lucky Captain a Wow! moment, rather than me spoiling it on here.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Are they still on target for an early Feb. release?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Sorry, @Iolo, only just spotted this!

Yep, still on track: Clicky. The game continues to be subliiiime.

steam_sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I like the setting very much. It kinda feels like that webcomic, Yaathaggu or whatever.
    It'd be very interesting to get a more involved sorta-rpg set in the Fallen London.

New patch out today:
    http://www.failbettergames.com/tutorial-and-keybinding/

The highlight?
    SMALL UPDATES AND FIXES

New vessel – Steam Launch, an adorable lifeboat

steam_sig.png
    Launch is tomorrow, guys! I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you buy it before release, you get the expansion for free.

steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Seeing this pop up on steam today was the first I'd ever heard of this game. The combination of the atmospheric setting and mechanics I fucking LOVE made me buy it before I even noticed it was under $20 as well. Can't wait to check it out tonight.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The description on the store page and the 10/10's made me buy it without thinking. You can tell how good they are with words just by reading the store page.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
This discussion has been closed.