As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FIGHTING GAMES CLUB CARIBE PR LETSGO

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    All these free-ass Hugo players.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Wow. I really wanted this lady to take it over Hungbee. Very good spacing and had the killer instinct you don't often see in female competitors. One of the few times I rooted against Hawk.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    All these free-ass Hugo players.

Every time I get a Huggo as Gouken, I start calculating how many points I will receive

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    There was a distinct lack of hotdogs at WNF

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Guys, please check this out http://www.twitch.tv/topangatv/b/560044422 BE|Nemo (Rolento) vs. WanchanTarou/Misse (Makoto) - 35:40

Nemo might be my new favourite player to watch I am all tingly. There's some strange amalgam of cheesy gimmicks that still feel honest in the play that I am really digging

Other notable player matches (taken from Eventhubs):

RZR|Fuudo (Fei Long) vs. Darui (Dhalsim) - 14:50
    EG|Momochi (Ken) vs. WanchanTarou/Misse (Makoto) - 25:53
    MCZ|Daigo (Evil Ryu) vs. EG|Momochi (Ken) - 42:42
    MCZ|Mago (Fei Long) vs. Darui (Dhalsim) - 47:42
    Kazunoko (Yun) vs. MCZ|Mago (Fei Long) - 57:00

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    what the heck was that counterhit ultra

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I'm really scared. Amazon sent me a link to the Art of Capcom 25th anniversary edition artbook and I remembered that I actually wanted it and bought it immediately. Their yomi is top tier.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm really scared. Amazon sent me a link to the Art of Capcom 25th anniversary edition artbook and I remembered that I actually wanted it and bought it immediately. Their yomi is top tier.

it's a trap setup

they're going to bundle it with a 48" collectible limited edition abel statue for like $200 and then you'll be trapped in the merch vortex

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Wimble wrote: »
    Guys, please check this out http://www.twitch.tv/topangatv/b/560044422 BE|Nemo (Rolento) vs. WanchanTarou/Misse (Makoto) - 35:40

Nemo might be my new favourite player to watch I am all tingly. There's some strange amalgam of cheesy gimmicks that still feel honest in the play that I am really digging

Other notable player matches (taken from Eventhubs):

RZR|Fuudo (Fei Long) vs. Darui (Dhalsim) - 14:50
    EG|Momochi (Ken) vs. WanchanTarou/Misse (Makoto) - 25:53
    MCZ|Daigo (Evil Ryu) vs. EG|Momochi (Ken) - 42:42
    MCZ|Mago (Fei Long) vs. Darui (Dhalsim) - 47:42
    Kazunoko (Yun) vs. MCZ|Mago (Fei Long) - 57:00

The only thing worse then watching Fei Long Safe his way to Top 8 is watching Rolento do anything ever.

Edit: But Nemo is good people though.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Brolo wrote: »

it's a trap setup

they're going to bundle it with a 48" collectible limited edition abel statue for like $200 and then you'll be trapped in the merch vortex

What's fucking terrifying are these Japanese kid's anime series. I just bought 2 plamo kits because I am apparently a sucker for tiny robots in animated kid's shows. I should stop watching these dang shows. It doesn't help that I know Bandai makes good shit.

Edit: It also doesn't help that Japan tends to really know how to market their toys through the shows. I'm amazed I made it through the whole series of Gundam Build Fighters without buying more gunpla.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    yo guys. i was just talking to a coworker today about comp fighting games, and i'm just curious.

what got you guys into watching/playing competitive FGs? i remember distinctly watching Justin Wong vs Chris Hu in the finals of a major, justin's fei vs hu's ryu. justin won and was popping off like SEE I TOLD YALL FEI WAS A GOOD CHARACTER

i was hooked.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    A buddy of mine got a used 360 and a bunch of games with it, we played like 10 minutes of gears of war, then popped in street fighter 4 vanilla

spent the rest of the night flailing around on the gamepad trying to figure out how to do special moves

I always figured being "good" at street fighter was just knowing how to do all the special moves

which was pretty much true since once i figured out how to do vanilla gief's lariat I was unbeatable

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Quarters last longer when you're winning, so on a busy day at alladins castle I could play street fighter or ki or tekken for an entire afternoon on a dollar, whereas if I was playing like x-men or sunset riders I'd have my dollar burned in half an hour tops.

• Options
    yo guys. i was just talking to a coworker today about comp fighting games, and i'm just curious.

what got you guys into watching/playing competitive FGs? i remember distinctly watching Justin Wong vs Chris Hu in the finals of a major, justin's fei vs hu's ryu. justin won and was popping off like SEE I TOLD YALL FEI WAS A GOOD CHARACTER

i was hooked.

Well, I've always played on and off for years. I was lucky enough to be in high school when SF2 first hit arcades. After that there was Fatal Fury, KoF, etc.

I will say that seeing the Daigo parry video was pretty crazy to me, who was always barely more than a scrub at 3S. Not just the parry itself, but the hype in the room surrounding it. After that, I remember buying my last issue of EGM because it was the issue in which Sf4 was announced. 2009 EVO finals sealed the deal and made me a stream monster. Watching chat go crazy and going crazy myself at the same time was probably when I started really paying attention to watching FG streams. I thought I was the shit with my scrub Abel of Sf4 vanilla PC. Organized local fight nights looking for more comp and got my eyes opened to what skill in Sf4 really was. Went to EVO 2010 with my fight night friends, met my SF idols, got autographs, got my first real major tourney experience and never looked back afterwards.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    playing MvC2 at the local movie theatre with my buddy before movies was always a complete blast

Grew up playing back shitty mortal kombats and being terrible at them

and then in 08 or 09 when streaming was becoming a thing just watching spooky's streams and the majors that lasted for ever and ever got me hooked, it was just fun to watch

and being really bad at sf4, I was kinda a shit head back then though I feel bad about that

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    my buddy linked me some sf4 stream back in vanilla days - probably evo or some other major
    i found it really interesting in a way most other game streams aren't. at some point we both bought the game and then the struggle to be better than my friends began

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    My uncle stole a copy of SSF2 from a video rental store and it got left with me after he went to prison for car theft and robbery.

• Options
    PAX 05 had a pretty big Tekken 5 tournament, and since I was 100% completely unable to be fucked with back home, I figured I'd enter and win it easy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That day I learned that being big fish in little pond doesn't mean fuck all, and also that I didn't actually know how to really play Tekken at all. Also marks the first time I met B:L in the flesh.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    My brother bought sf4 and it sat around the house for months and months. One day I popped it in and ran through arcade mode and got destroyed by the AI Abel. So I picked Abel, and looked up videos on youtube after beating arcade mode. What I saw on youtube was an entirely different game. A game that looked and felt different than all the other competitive games around. I knew I had to get in on that.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    i started watching stuff on combovid.com after seeing clawstrophobia tutorial on youtube

fouind denjin/super arcade/ffa ranbats, watched the 3s scene there (gootecks, fivestar, amir, pyrolee, ironfist, etc etc)

started playing 3s on a xbox anniversary addition single player, then found out about ggpo and scrubbed it out online using a x360 controller

bought hdr when it came out, played forever on xbl, got scrubbed in that

then sf4 came out, bought a SE, modded it

and here we are

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I played a metric fuckton of soul calibur 2 in high school and with my roommates in college

after the steaming pile of crap that was sc3, I dropped out of fighting games until I heard about divekick last year. Watching divekick dev streams led me to watching evo. Then I used my security deposit refund from my last apartment to buy a stick, and now here we are

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    That is a good question @Kinderparty‌

So, long story time. I grew up in a pretty conservative Christian home, and it wasn't until I was around 8 or 9 years old that my dad finally convinced my Mom that videogames weren't the devil. This was around I want to say.....93-94 when he first brought home an Atari with Yar's Revenge from a thrift store.

After that was an NES(which I basically bricked playing RC Pro Am 2 on.), Then a Sega Genesis for the longest time.

We went to Hollywood video one day to rent a Genesis game(I want to say in 95/96?) and my Dad was all, "Hey, why are you looking in the wrong section? It's over here!" And me, being 10 and knowing everything, "NO DAD THIS IS THE GENESIS SECTION AND THAT'S THE PLAYSTATION SECTION, WE HAVE A GENESIS, DUUUHH". In which he took me outside and coyley revealed a brand spanking new Playstation.

Hopped up like I was on Cocaine I rushed back inside to the Playstation section. For some reason, the first game I picked to rent was Tekken 2. The reason why, is because a few months back we both saw Soul Blade being played in a game shop and were blown away, I always remembered the Namco name since then, and picked out Tekken 2 since Soul Blade wasn't in stock.

Been playing fighting games ever since.

Transporter on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I always fucked around in fighting games since being a kid

Then I found this thread and wanted in on it and that's it really

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular

i was hooked.

My local movie theatre had a mvc2 cabinet and I pretty much lived on it bodying people with blackheart. Other than marvel 2 I was only relevant at shit like dbz budokai 3 and ultimate muscle generations and smash till sfiv came out

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

i was hooked.

I transitioned into watching fighting games competitively once I got kinda tired of watching Starcraft 2, and decided to browse other games on Twitch

Eventually I ended up getting SSFIVAE on steam sale

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I accidentally clicked on this thread instead of the wrestling one, after that there was no escape.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Also I ordered a stick! It's that Qanba Q1, which is an obvious step down from the Q4 I used to own, but swapping out buttons in a fun little project and I would rather have a decent stick at home than a 3ds I never use.

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    these awesome ass stories. fighting games, man. they're a special thing.

i know i've had a few moments where i've really just had to step back and awe at it. like, i started watching Justin. i never thought i'd get to play him in competition.

i definitely never thought i'd be partying with him all night on 4th street 5 years after i watched him play.

fucking insane trip it's been

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I grew up with Street Fighter, played a ton of it with the kids in the neighborhood, then we grew up and apart. I kept up with offline fighting games in the meantime but a lack of a local scene kept me from getting serious about it. Flash forward to two years ago, a local game store in my new location had a SF4 tournament. I entered it completely cold and ended up taking second place. One wave of nostalgia for my misspent youth later and I'm buying an Xbox and a Qanba.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

i was hooked.

Back in elementary school, my parents let me have a birthday party at a laser-tag place nearby. I invited a small group of friends, one of who was a girl I had a crush on.

While waiting for our turn to come up in the arena, some of us decided to play a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 cabinet that was nearby, because hey, superheroes fighting each other seems pretty cool!

I won the first match, then my crush came up to challenge me.

She kicked my ass.

It was a lot of fun, and I've been interested in fighting games ever since.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I had friend who rented SF2 for SNES and I got to try it and really enjoyed it, so I bought my own copy. The first time I played against other people was with Super SF2 using the XBAND service. Didn't last long since I got a $600 phone bill after the first month. :D

My time playing in an Arcade was with the first Alpha, X-men: CotA, Marvel Super Heroes and Tekken 2. I really got into competing once the arcade got X-men Vs Street Fighter. My main team was M.Bison and Juggernaut.

I actually imported a Dreamcast and MVC2 so I can practice when I wasn't at the arcade.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I walked past a Street Fighter II machine at my arcade, saw Blanka, and said yeah, that's my guy.

When the game finally came out for SNES my brother and I would run multi-hour long sets of Blanka vs Guile. I distinctly remember us being even because neither of us knew how to play. Then I made a discovery: block jump ins high. He was furious.

'I am doing the exact same thing. Why isn't it working?'

My father, who was only vaguely interesting in what we were playing, looked up, realized exactly what I was doing, and sagely gave me a nod. Winning was great. Beating my brother was better, but trolling him by not telling him what I learned, that was the best.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I walked past a Street Fighter II machine at my arcade, saw Blanka, and said yeah, that's my guy.

When the game finally came out for SNES my brother and I would run multi-hour long sets of Blanka vs Guile. I distinctly remember us being even because neither of us knew how to play. Then I made a discovery: block jump ins high. He was furious.

'I am doing the exact same thing. Why isn't it working?'

My father, who was only vaguely interesting in what we were playing, looked up, realized exactly what I was doing, and sagely gave me a nod. Winning was great. Beating my brother was better, but trolling him by not telling him what I learned, that was the best.

This is the most Blanka story ever.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    NoSobriquetNoSobriquet Formidable Phở Sandcastle of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I grew up playing fighters more than any other genre, to the extent that I was moving sticks and slapping buttons before I'd learned to walk. The first two videogames I ever played were Mortal Kombat II and Street Fighter II: CE. While I'm sure that the nearest Aladdin's Castle had MK4 and Tekken Tag Tournament during my earliest bipedal years, and they stuck around for a while, my most vivid memories are actually of KI2 and Soul Edge, which weren't in the arcade for as long, with them being on their way out when I was two and needed a guardian to hold me level with the controls.

The PSX releases of Darkstalkers 3 and Rival Schools had my heart for a long time, as well as SoulCal on Dreamcast, and I distinctly remember a Tips&Tricks magazine that had a cover story all about footsies in Virtua Fighter 4, which had recently come out on PS2. I was obsessed with the games and they provided a convenient coping mechanism for some shit, but I wasn't truly good, because I didn't know a lot of the more then-arcane concepts. Leading up to SFIV's Super update, I came across a few Youtube users that were trying to put together something called FNEX (which I'm surprised to see has persisted, however minimally) and watching their content led me to streams for various majors. After a point, because I fumbled about in procured Adobe software while going through my compulsory public education, I tried helping them out with graphics and branding for the hell of it and we played a lot of Super and Tekken 6 for a while, and that sense of community as well as realizing how much information had actually been proliferated online got me wanting to take the games seriously, now that I knew there was a level far beyond where I'd toiled for basically my entire life.

It's been this really inconsistent thing, fluctuating between noncommittal periods and restless study, where I haven't been able to nail down how much I really care, but it has been a part of my identity for so long that it's hard to imagine not playing a new fighter, even if I know I suck, and I'm trying not to let it slip away from me. Where the rest of my goals are uncertain—like I don't even know if I want these degrees on the horizon—I know for sure that I'd love to find a game that finally clicks with me such that I can make it out to a major and beat at least one player.

NoSobriquet on
  • Options
    The two main constants in my life have been fighting games and music

So being able to provide the intro music for the mk9 tournament at Evo is basically the highpoint of my career in both

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I never knew that, that's super cool knob

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The hilarious part, is Seth mussey never bothered telling me he was going to use the song I'd sent him, so I figured he'd passed on it. I would have had a heart attack hearing my song played totally unexpectedly on the bigscreen at the start of mk...

Only I completely ditched my pool and skipped mk entirely because a vsav side tournament was going on at the same time.

I didn't find out it'd been used until like a month later.

Knob on
  • Options
    What year was this?

• Options
    2012, its right at the beginning of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlOJFzoeGg

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I had a friend who convinced me to buy Super Street Fighter 4 so he'd have somebody to play with I was like "yeah ok sure I like how this Abel guy looks I'll try to play"

and after a few weeks I kinda put it down until I stumbled across some vods of a marvel 2 tournament or somethin'

That match was I think Clockwork vs. Neo's huge money match, and honestly just hearing people chant CLOCK-WORK, CLOCK-WORK, CLOCK-WORK was infectious enough for me at like 3 am to start chanting along to this like youtube video

This discussion has been closed.