As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Attention Citizens, Please Be On Alert for an Escaped [Super Hero Movie Thread].

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
Hello Citizens of the Milky Way, this is the voice of the Nova Corps. We ask you to keep an eye out for a group of extremely dangerous, escaped group of criminals on the run from Justice.

The Escapees are:
flippingthebird.jpg
Peter "Star-Lord" Quill
A self-proclaimed hero and leader of the group, Peter Quill hails from an underdeveloped backwater world where he was abducted as a youth by the notorious space pirates, The Ravagers. He is skilled with both his "element gun" and his silver tongue and citizens are advised to avoid any prolonged conversations with the fugitive.

1LelnNe.jpg?1
Gamora
Daughter to known war criminal and despot Thanos, Gamora is the galaxy's deadliest assassin. Proficient with all known forms of weaponry, she is the most dangerous member of the group. Avoid at all costs.

Dq06TW2.jpg?1
Drax
Also known as "The Destroyer"
Drax is a lunatic, having killed his own wife and children in a rage-fueled bloodlust, the only goal he has in life is to cause as much destruction as physically possible. He is also rumored to have some sort of connection to Thanos, the Mad Titan.

guardians5.png?itok=VzCs6kUe
Rocket
Although his small, furry demeanor may give the impression Rocket is a lovable creature, he is, in reality, one of the most unpredictable, dangerous beings in the known universe. An engineering genius, Rocket is capable of jury-rigging highly effective weaponry from little more than piles of scrap, an activity he takes great joy in.

Groot.jpg
Groot
Rocket's personal bodyguard, and houseplant, Groot is a towering creature of living wood, capable of regrowing from a single splinter and able to change his size to face any variety of threat. Only capable of stating his own name, although unconfirmed reports claim he is actually communicating a great deal more in his own language.

These escaped criminals will attempt to dissuade any pursuers by claiming they are acting as "Guardians of the Galaxy", a ridiculous claim in itself, and working to save the known populated galaxy from a mysterious threat. The Nova Corps assures you, there is no threat and these are little more than con men and murderers seeking to terrorize citizens like you. More information will be released on solar date: 8.1.2014, details to come.

Stay Alert, Stay Safe. The Nova Corps stands with you.

CYpGAPn.png

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHID4jzwJo

HOLY SHIT DRAX IS AMAZING

"These people are literal, metaphors would go over their head."
    "NOTHING goes over my head. I would catch it."

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    wow gamora sure is a beautiful hot sexy good looking girl

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    wow gamora sure is a beautiful hot sexy good looking girl
    Yeah except immediately after Quill says that she kicks the shit out of him

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    what a strong female character who's badass and sexy, dangerous and hot

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I'm....not really sure what you were expecting Gamora to be?

Her thing is that she is one of the deadliest most badass warriors in the galaxy and she knows it and also she is similar to She-Hulk in that she isn't afraid of her sexuality and doesn't let people shame her or tell her how to live her life

she is a sexy badass lady

that is Gamora

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    chris pratt seems to continue the trend of comic book movie castings that make you go "what" and then go "ohhhh"

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure him telling her to be nicer to people is a send-up of that clueless sort of "you should smile more often" comment that gets thrown around by dudes on the internet a lot

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure him telling her to be nicer to people is a send-up of that clueless sort of "you should smile more often" comment that gets thrown around by dudes on the internet a lot
    Oh most definitely

and since he gets beaten up and told he's got problems right after saying it, I'm down

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Marvel is announcing something on The View tomorrow.

They're playing up the "thunder and lightning" theme.

So Thor, Storm, ...Captain Marvel?

Ceno on
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The Gamora Featurette gives a better look at the kind of character she is supposed to be.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sJkAgTOJ-JE

Seems fine to me. So far, Marvel has a pretty good track recrod with their female characters. Just missing a Captain Marvel or Black Widow movie.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Marvel doesn't have movie rights for Storm, so Unless it's the new solo book by Greg Pak it ain't her, and Captain Marvel isn't lightning themed at all.

And Thor is popular with the ladies

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

Captain Marvel has zero connection to thunder and lightning

I'm guessing an Angela series since she's Thor's sister now and probably has some thunder powers of her own

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I can't see them announcing a new comic on The View.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Are we really at the point of announcing comic books on The View, though? Movies and shows, sure, but not books. Not yet.

• Options
    For some reason people are saying that it's a new movie, but Comic-Con is like two weeks away and the tweet from Marvel says a "thundering new title" which definitely sounds more like a new series.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Or they're just making a Thor 3 announcement.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Are we really at the point of announcing comic books on The View, though? Movies and shows, sure, but not books. Not yet.
    I disagree?

The View is big, but not like, The Tonight Show or something. They could totally say HEY WE'RE MAKING AN EFFORT TO HAVE MORE FEMALE LED COMICS and then announce a new one

the current rumor is Angela by Keiron Gillen/Marguerite Bennett so they could even have Bennett appear on the show to talk about it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Or they're just making a Thor 3 announcement.
    The View seems like a really weird place to do that

like, it is ostensibly a talk show for ladies, by ladies and announcing the name of the new Thor movie there seems weird. Not that ladies can't or don't like Thor, that's dumb, just that it is a very unusual platform for something like that where they usually announce them at SDCC or with a press release on their website

and again
    Marvel is excited to announce that on Tuesday, July 15th, at 11AM EST, it will be announcing its latest explosive title live on the Emmy-Winning, daily talk show “The View”. The extremely short press release also includes a title which reads: MARVEL ANNOUNCES AN ALL-NEW THUNDERING TITLE ON “THE VIEW”!

Sounds way more like a new comic series than a film, although title could be literal I guess

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    If it's a comic, it'd need to be a pretty special writer, I can't see them brining someone like Pak or Aaron out to be interviewed on The View. Either someone famous outside of comics, or someone like DeConnick if they wanted to talk about the whole Carol Corps phenomenon as well (which would be amazing)

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I was thinking of Captain Marvel's costume with the lightning bolt on it, but I guess she hasn't been in that one for a while.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    so I bought two of the single packs of guardians heroclix today and I got a rocket raccoon and also a rhomann dey so now basically I have a john c. reilly toy which is the weirdest thing in the entire world

• Options
    I wouldn't say marvel has a fine track record with female characters

I'm put off by the way gamora is portrayed in these trailers and it gives me a real Strong Female Character vibe, especially since she's the only woman on the team and has been inundated with tits and ass shots (and hasn't gotten to speak until recently)

like gamora hitting quinn doesn't feel like much when the other trailers show a romance between them with no apparent change in quinn's behavior

these are just trailers and not necessarily representative of the final movie of course, the final version may be better, but man I just don't like guardians' marketing

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    line3-28-10.jpg

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Honestly, there's a long trend of supposedly strong female characters who don't actually do anything but be sultry and beat up henchmen. Usually they also have a secondary female villain to fight in the climax, so that the female character doesn't have to fight a man. I kind of expect Karen Gillan's character to fill that role.

So yeah, at the moment, Gamora seems like she's playing straight into the strong female character stereotype. I've got some hope that it's part of the advertising, and they're playing up the parts of the character that'll appeal to their audience... but honestly, it's not looking all that great.

• Options
    If the new title being announced IS Angela, I hope to god it includes a new costume for her

I don't see the metal bikini costume doing much to change people's minds about the portrayal of female characters in comic books

• Options
    Announcement that Marvel bought the rights to Wonder Woman.

• Options
    Actually, a high profile Angela title launch around the same time DC's critically acclaimed Wonder Woman run is ending and being replaced with something that just doesn't sound very good would actually be a pretty smart move,

• Options
    I heard that Angela has a new series written by Gillen which makes me wonder if he's writing Doctor Strange like we suspected

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    line3-28-10.jpg

If Bartkira is a thing that can become real, I'd like to read Akirby.

• Options
    So, thinking more about why I liked Age of Extinction, I think it boils down to me just being numb to the terrible shit that just won't go away. Stuff like Bumblebee being mute for no reason, or the huge death tolls among the Transformers (which, given the war has been going on for MILLIONS of years, these guys die super easy), overemphasis on human characters, over reliance on random mcgrubbins (they actually DO stuff, so they're not mcguffins), and the whole bayformers aesthetic.

It just doesn't bother me as much anymore, which is kinda shitty now that I think about it. I guess I just got worn down.

On the other hand, John Goodman as Hound was super entertaining, even if he was overly bloodthirsty
    To the point of executing someone elses prisoner because it was ugly and spit on him.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

If I remember right, a few years ago they announced Northstar's wedding on the View.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I heard that Angela has a new series written by Gillen which makes me wonder if he's writing Doctor Strange like we suspected
    The current rumor is he's co-writing with Margurite Bennett which would definitely allow him to write Strange at the same time

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I feel that we should all just accept the consensus that the Transformers movies are crap

If you feel otherwise then treat this as a dark shame which should be kept to yourself, like enjoying Terry Goodkind novels or Bonnie Tyler's later works

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I just booked tickets for the midnight screening of Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1.

It'll be the first midnight screening I attend since The Two Towers.

I'm super excited for this movie.

e: No, wait, I went to the outdoor midnight screening of Pacific Rim. Still, super excited.

Legba on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Or we could just accept that different people like different things for different reasons.

• Options
    I think it's okay to admit that the Transformers movies are objectively awful, while it still being entirely okay for people to enjoy them.

• Options
    Legba wrote: »
    I think it's okay to admit that the Transformers movies are objectively awful, while it still being entirely okay for people to enjoy them.
    These are contradictory statements though

Presumably, the people who enjoy them don't think they are awful and thus they aren't, objectively

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

nothing it ever objective when it comes to movies, or art in general really

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I dunno man, I like a lot of terrible movies.

• Options
    Yeah but we had people last thread who said T4 is pretty good and to them only had a few quibbles

Which is a far cry from enjoying an awful movie

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.