Options

Attention Citizens, Please Be On Alert for an Escaped [Super Hero Movie Thread].

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Perhaps someone here can answer this. I'm following a conversation on another site and someone just claimed that the comic industry never recovered for the speculator crash of the 90s. Is there any truth to this? I've done searches myself but I have no idea on what information is reliable.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Perhaps someone here can answer this. I'm following a conversation on another site and someone just claimed that the comic industry never recovered for the speculator crash of the 90s. Is there any truth to this? I've done searches myself but I have no idea on what information is reliable.
    Well, it's still around and pretty okay so it definitely recovered

It just never reached those same heights of, like, a million issues sold.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, there is that. I suppose what's bothering me is that the person in question usually makes broad claims and then never provides sources and that I'm horribly naive when it comes to the business side of the industry.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'd say that the comics market is much more healthier than it was in the 90's. The 90's may have sold more but it was mostly because people believed the investment hype. It could certainly be healthier now, but it is in pretty good shape.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Those millions of copies of Liefeld's X-Force and Jim Lee's X-Men were definitely not all unique customers.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Those millions of copies of Liefeld's X-Force and Jim Lee's X-Men were definitely not all unique customers.

I've heard people say before that variant covers helped crash the market in the '90s

But...every time I check the weekly listings on ComicList I still see a ton of variants for pretty much everything?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    could be that the smaller market is more used to it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I've heard people say before that variant covers helped crash the market in the '90s

But...every time I check the weekly listings on ComicList I still see a ton of variants for pretty much everything?
    The difference is in volume and the variant speculator boom

now a really rare variant is, like, 1 copy for every 100-150 regular issues your store purchases

back in the 90s it was like 1 copy for every 5,000

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Here's a fact: Prior to 1993, Marvel and DC measured their average monthly sales in the millions of issues. These days, they measure in the hundreds of thousands. So while the industry is profitable again (and has been since at least the mid-00s), I think it would be entirely reasonable to say that it has not yet fully recovered.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Centi please preface all such facts with "Flash Fact"

• Options
    To be fair, the modern industry is also wildly different

Trade sales and collections are far, far bigger than they were in the 90s and prior

The rise of the digital market has happened

The economy went through a recession and back

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Here's a fact: Prior to 1993, Marvel and DC measured their average monthly sales in the millions of issues. These days, they measure in the hundreds of thousands. So while the industry is profitable again (and has been since at least the mid-00s), I think it would be entirely reasonable to say that it has not yet fully recovered.
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Trade sales and collections are far, far bigger than they were in the 90s and prior

This is actually really helpful. Thanks. :)

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Remember that the bubble actually burst in the early 90s, and had probably been building since the mid-80s. The height of the bubble before the crash was probably the death of Superman in 1992. Superman #75, the death issue, sold somewhere around 3 million copies.

The death of Superman is probably one of the big causes of the crash too, with the investors finally realizing that if you own one of 3 million of something, it's probably never going to be worth anything.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Wait, are we officially done with that recession? When did that happen?

• Options

Wait, are we officially done with that recession? When did that happen?
    According the U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research (the official arbiter of U.S. recessions) the US recession began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009, and thus spanned over 18 months.

5 years ago, duder.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My favorite costume-related thing about Zero Year so far is either a) the fact that he has those awesome short gloves from the old comics, or b) maybe minor spoilers? I don't know the full significance of the beginning of the first issue:
    DIRTBIKE BATMAN

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    'The Man' just pretends that there's a recession still on so that he can fire and pay less as he wants to keep all the gains for himself.

• Options
    the economy hasn't been receding since 2009 but the effects of the financial crisis are still felt in 2014

people are just really wary of calling it a depression

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    So Remender and Brevoort refered to Thor Classic exclusively as "Odinson" when talking about him after losing his hammer

so it looks like that'll be his "official" name although I still see his friends calling him Thor

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Spoiled for best Bat-costume ever
    GIhjYsj.jpg

• Options
    Also one of the original ideas for Avengers vs. X-Men's ending, and one that was genuinely considered, was having all of the Avengers die stopping the Phoenix Force and the X-Men would then rise up as Earth's Mightiest Heroes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Thanks for clarifying, guys.

• Options
    Today's Amazon Deal of the Day is the MCU Phase One box set on Blu-ray for $130

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Today's Amazon Deal of the Day is the MCU Phase One box set on Blu-ray for $130

I own all but one of the MCU Phase One movies

this deal shouldn't be as tempting as it is

• Options
    Right?!

It's like

I have all these already

It would be a bad financial investment to buy this

But I really want it

• Options
    I would buy that set if the Blu-Rays came with actual normal cases

I like having my collection on the shelf and would like a big row of Marvel Blu-Rays more than a suitcase

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I would buy that set if the Blu-Rays came with actual normal cases

I like having my collection on the shelf and would like a big row of Marvel Blu-Rays more than a suitcase

This is literally the only thing holding me back (well, money, but I've always been really bad at keeping that excuse for long)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I bought all of phase 1 on individual blu-ray.

Then I bought that collection.

and I'm almost certainly going to do the same with Phase 2.

EDIT: Though, to be fair, due to preorder price guarrentees, I only paid $139.96 for the Phase 1 collection, and due to the delay I got a free copy of Avengers too. (Sadly it was the less cool blu-ray so I basically gave that to my parents and kept my preorder for the normal blu-ray version)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Also one of the original ideas for Avengers vs. X-Men's ending, and one that was genuinely considered, was having all of the Avengers die stopping the Phoenix Force and the X-Men would then rise up as Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Isn't that just Onslaught again?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Isn't that just Onslaught again?
    Nah, that was the Fantastic Four and others as well.

And the X-Men didn't really become replacements for the Avengers, other teams and heroes did. Like Ka-Zar and the Thunderbolts, etc.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Unworthy should be glad he is even designated Odinson, for he does not truly deserve the Allfather's blessing.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Man, why did Avengers AI have to die? I wanted to see Machine Man and Circuit Breaker show up.

• Options
    Also remember how I said the events of Thor and Loki #1 mirrored Thor 1's big "unworthy moment"?
    Turns out the Angels of Heven are super brutal and warlike and have had alliances with Frost Giants and seek to obliterate Asgard which they can now finally travel to since Thor went and knocked down the barriers between their realms.

I'm pretty sure this is the act that loses him the hammer.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Soooooo

May 1st - Avengers: Age of Ultron
    June 19th - Untitled Fantastic Four reboot
    July 17th - Ant-Man

May 6th - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    May 6th - Captain America 3
    May 27th - X-Men: Apocalypse
    July – Shazam
    July 8th - Doctor Strange (According to Variety)
    November 11th - The Sinister Six
    Xmas – Sandman

March 3rd - Wolverine 3
    May 5th - Untitled Marvel Cinematic Universe film
    May – Justice League
    July 14th - Fantastic Four Reboot Sequel
    July 28th - Untitled Marvel Studios film
    July – Wonder Woman
    November 3rd - Untitled Marvel Studios film
    Xmas – Flash and Green Lantern team-up

May 4th - Untitled Marvel Studios film
    May – Man Of Steel 2
    July 6th - Untitled Marvel Studios film
    July 13th - Untitled X-Men Film
    Summer - Amazing Spider-Man 3
    November 2rd - Untitled Marvel Studios film

May 3, 2019 - Untitled Marvel Studios film

(Italics are the rumored WB movies, I included them because I am insane)

Jesus christ, I don't care how much you love comic book films but this is some oversaturation. I wonder how much longer it's going to last. They've essentially been king of the summer movie season for 10 years now, I guess we're in for another 10.

Bubby on
  • Options
    I disagree

With GOTG, we're about to hit four movies just this year, and that's all based on Marvel properties only

ASM2 excepted, they all did really well

And as a fan, I enjoyed all three and will more than likely love GOTG

The most confirmed films in any of those given years is five films, there's 52 potential opening weekends in a year - I am perfectly fine with that ratio

• Options
    Ugh.

Ok, if I ever come back and start talking about a similar issue (i.e. something another topic etc. etc.) can someone here just tackle me to the ground? Maybe shake me while shouting "It's not worth it!" over and over?

Basically the scene from Airplane! but change the dialogue.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Damn, I'll probably have to avoid this thread for the next month. GotG doesn't open here till August 28th.

• Options
    Basically as long as quality keeps up at a relative high, I could take double or triple the output they're doing now (not that it'd ever get that high)

• Options
    Basically as long as quality keeps up at a relative high, I could take double or triple the output they're doing now (not that it'd ever get that high)

Especially if they keep it up with diversifying the genres

I mean when a Marvel movie comes out, you can tell it's a Marvel movie, so there's definitely similarities between them all

But they all at least have the trappings of different genres, which is enough variety for me

• Options
    Also they're all still generally recognized as good, at least as far as the MCU is concerned

The lowest ranking MCU film on Rotten Tomatoes is Thor: The Dark World at 65%

Who knows where DC's current crazy shenanigans will end up them at, in terms of quality

At the very least they will end up at a place where The Rock is a superhero, so I want to go to there

This discussion has been closed.