Options

Attention Citizens, Please Be On Alert for an Escaped [Super Hero Movie Thread].

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    d786hsgdgybt.jpg
    Yup, that's Batman.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    d786hsgdgybt.jpg
    Yup, that's Batman.

I do like the suit.

But that bat symbol?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Also they're all still generally recognized as good, at least as far as the MCU is concerned

The lowest ranking MCU film on Rotten Tomatoes is Thor: The Dark World at 65%

Who knows where DC's current crazy shenanigans will end up them at, in terms of quality

At the very least they will end up at a place where The Rock is a superhero, so I want to go to there

The hell is Dark World lower then Thor?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I thought I liked Thor 2 better the first time I saw it

Then I went back and watched Thor 1 and enjoyed it way more

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That chest logo looks like they kept screwing up the border so they just filled it in with black marker until it almost becomes a rectangle.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I enjoy both Thor movies very much

The second one is probably more exciting and fun to watch, but the first one has a core tale of mythic betrayal, arrogance, redemption and so on which is really cool.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I have to assume it's not intentional, but the creases in that Batsuit look like they're trying to resemble BULGING VEINS and I think that's hilarious

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the second thor isn't really a good movie but it's propped up by the interaction between hemsworth and hiddleston

I actually don't like the first one that much either (on rewatching it reeeaaallly drags in the middle), but it's more coherent

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I feel like the only reason they chose that logo was to fit the Superman logo inside it

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    That is full on the DKR batsuit
    tdkr-batsuit.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    No Bat-Speedo though.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    tdkr-batsuit.jpg

I hope they take more influence from DKR

I know I for one walked out of the theater at the end of Dark Knight Rises and thought to myself "Gee, that was pretty good, but I really hope the next one is even darker."

• Options
    tdkr-batsuit.jpg

I know I for one walked out of the theater at the end of Dark Knight Rises and thought to myself "Gee, that was pretty good, but I really hope the next one is even darker."
    dkr2a.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    the second thor isn't really a good movie but it's propped up by the interaction between hemsworth and hiddleston

I actually don't like the first one that much either (on rewatching it reeeaaallly drags in the middle), but it's more coherent

I disagree. I mean yeah the plot is dodgy as fuck but there is a lot of good acting and really good scenes and character work. Now granted Thor had that two but the fight scenes also arn't garbage like in Thor.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    tdkr-batsuit.jpg

The way Snyder talks its basically an adaption.

Also Rises didn't seem dark to me? Its like the only Batman story ever that ends with a happy ending for Bruce.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Not a happy ending for Gotham, though

just goes back to the same cycle of exploitation that was there before

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

That seems like something up to interpretation. They likely are as exploited as any large scale city in the real world but the worst of the Rich have died by Banes hands and the mob no longer exists with a Batman of much stronger moral fiber working to help the people.

Doesn't seem so bad.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    that version of the bat logo always makes me think someone kept making mistakes and kept making the logo bigger to cover it up.

• Options
    It's a stupid logo and it's a stupid comic and it's going to be a stupid movie

there we go, there's your Solar opinion for the day

• Options
    How do I subscribe to the Solar newsletter

• Options

That seems like something up to interpretation. They likely are as exploited as any large scale city in the real world but the worst of the Rich have died by Banes hands and the mob no longer exists with a Batman of much stronger moral fiber working to help the people.

Doesn't seem so bad.

The whole movie read to me like popular demonstrations against exploitation are inherently poised on the edge of law breaking and violence, and that it only takes a little push to set off those crazy poor people on rampages of looting. The rich in the movie are portrayed sympathetically whereas the common person is basically a hairs breadth from engaging in all manner of violent and criminal behaviour. At the end of the movie, the Police manage to repress this criminal uprising and restore the proper status quo. Batman gets his happy ending, a rich man who sacrificed so much for the plebians! and the masses go back to the same system of exploitation as before. Nothing has got any better, Bane took advantage of a situation that still exists.

Yeah. DKR came off as very conservative, capitalist and right wing to me. Did not like, no sir.

• Options

Doesn't seem so bad.

The whole movie read to me like popular demonstrations against exploitation are inherently poised on the edge of law breaking and violence, and that it only takes a little push to set off those crazy poor people on rampages of looting. The rich in the movie are portrayed sympathetically whereas the common person is basically a hairs breadth from engaging in all manner of violent and criminal behaviour. At the end of the movie, the Police manage to repress this criminal uprising and restore the proper status quo. Batman gets his happy ending, a rich man who sacrificed so much for the plebians! and the masses go back to the same system of exploitation as before. Nothing has got any better, Bane took advantage of a situation that still exists.

Yeah. DKR came off as very conservative, capitalist and right wing to me. Did not like, no sir.

I don't really agree with that but I think we've had this dance a few dozen time so I'll leave it at that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    How do I subscribe to the Solar newsletter

A better question would be, how do I unsubscribe to the Solar newsletter! Hohoho!
    You can never unsubscribe to the Solar newsletter

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Never mind, unsubscribe me from the Solar newsletter, tia

EDIT: GAH!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I broke my favorite mug - a Captain America head sculpt one my girlfriend got me 2 years ago at the Disney store - last night. I was way, way too upset over a mug. I have not used another mug in 2 years, I didn't even remember what other ones I had.

So I made coffee this morning before work and saw the pieces (I will attempt to glue it back together and make it a shelf display instead), and got sad and walked to my closet where I have a box of kitchen stuff that I've never unpacked since when we moved in together, we didn't need MY kitchen stuff. I knew I had mugs in there.

I had totally forgotten another mug I had...M.O.D.O.K. (Mug Organism Designed Only for Koffee).

That's when I realized...M.O.D.O.K. had been plotting this for years.

g8gqasr1gbte.jpg

He has finally won. He is finally my mug. His reign of terror over my mornings begins now.

(and to make this slightly on topic is Secret Avengers any good, because I love MODOK on the team, but I only noticed it when they swapped artists to that super stylistic one, and every time I see the TPB of the first 3 volumes it doesn't even look like the same book.)

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    if I had a MODOK mug I would never drink out of anything else

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    So I'm rewatching the Two-Face origin 2-parter in the 1st season of BMtAS and a few things I gotta mention

1. This is a fantastic telling of the origin of Two-Face. The Two-Face story and character is great in that it can be told through multiple fantastic angles, TDK and Long Halloween being a few others. The character is probably Batman's 2nd best villain, or at least tied with Raj imo. While Two-Face may not cause as much global havok as Raj, he's a more personal enemy for Bruce/Batman because he was originally Harvey's friend (as Bruce in BMtAS and as Batman in Long Halloween). The character's visual design allows for so much visual variation too. He's incredibly hideous in BMtAS. Like...damn. Look at this fucking mug
    pIu0qg4.jpg
    Imagine that in real life. It's somehow more grotesque for me that all his flesh isn't charred off like in DKR. Rather, it's mottled and rotten and horrific.

2. All that said, as great as the character is, there's a notable dearth of good Two-Face stories outside of his origin. I find that odd.

3. Some of the animation is absolutely gorgeous. Really impressive for its time. Some of it was also really hideous. I mean look at these guys. In this scene, Thorne is putting a bounty on Harvey and raises it from 1 to 2 million and everyone in the room jumps in surprise.

2mrwu4C.png

The guy in the back isn't so bad but this guy? Hilarious.
    RHLXj1q.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh man, remember Jordyn's reviews? They were great.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Guek wrote: »
    So I'm rewatching the Two-Face origin 2-parter in the 1st season of BMtAS and a few things I gotta mention

1. This is a fantastic telling of the origin of Two-Face. The Two-Face story and character is great in that it can be told through multiple fantastic angles, TDK and Long Halloween being a few others. The character is probably Batman's 2nd best villain, or at least tied with Raj imo.

Rajah Ghul?

RlfS5Fm.jpg

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The two-part origin for Two-Face in B:tas are probably, artistically, the best episodes of the series.

And their portrayal of Harvey as a good man burdened with a serious disability and crushing stress is brutal to watch. Harvey's a good guy and his fiance & friends are trying to help him, but the world wanted to break that man.

And he gets shattered.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The worst part about Batman vs. Superman will be it being a huge waste of great and interesting casting

Like I'm never going to see that movie because c'mon, but Jesse Eisenburg as Lex Luthor is so intriguing and I'd love to see him do that in a movie that has a greater-than-negative chance of being worth anything

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    please, Mr. G

Batman v Superman

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    couple of pages late, but

wasn't there a deal not long ago between Marvel and Sony where Sony now gets 100% of movie profits, while Marvel(Disney) now gets 100% of toy profits?

meaning that it used to be split prior to the ASM era, so Marvel at least used to get a cut of the profits from the movies

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    B:TAS has some wonderful villain origins. Mr. Freeze's origin episode (Heart of Ice I think) isn't even a re-telling, before that point Mr. Freeze was just some B-list ice themed villain that no one cared about.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Thursday can't get here soon enough.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's definitely not going to stay, because I just read a review this morning from a pretty credible-looking website that gave it a D+

Hopefully they don't count it because the reviewer says Chris Pratt is very miscast and the soundtrack is distracting and pointless, so I don't know what movie THEY saw but it was not Guardians of the Galaxy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's definitely not going to stay, because I just read a review this morning from a pretty credible-looking website that gave it a D+

Hopefully they don't count it because the reviewer says Chris Pratt is very miscast and the soundtrack is distracting and pointless, so I don't know what movie THEY saw but it was not Guardians of the Galaxy

Stuff like this is code for "This isn't how I saw it in my head so PPPPTHHHBHTHBHTH"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

it's nice to see Armond White is still getting work

This discussion has been closed.