As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I hope DA:I has an option for Flemeth to show up as a rotting corpse, she opens her mouth to give a non-answer again and you behead her. Then set her on fire. Then Morgan sets her on fire again. So, really, the game is going to disappoint in one regard.

The lack of Fire Emblem Awakening cameos? Yeah, the godbaby is going to be a disappointment compared to the last hellspawn.

Although, I suppose if Flemeth raises the kid, they might be nearly as good at trolling.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ok, see what you went and did, now it'll be TWO things. :P

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Inquisition thoughts, with The Masked Empire spoilers:
    The Empress's handmaiden/girlfriend, the elf Briala (BTW: nobody cares that the Empress is sleeping with a girl; they freak because she's an elf... Orlesians: fantastic racists but not homophobes) has a mentor, Felassan, who is described as a Dalish wizard who always talks about Fen'Harel, the Dread Wolf from elvish mythology. But when they actually meet a tribe of Dalish, he's pretty dismissive of them and gives no shits as to whether they survive. Briala asks him about who his tribe actually is and if he's actually Dalish, and he's all, "I don't think you want me to answer that question." His nickname, "The Slow Arrow," refers to a Fen'Harel story where he fired an arrow into the air and it took out the survivor of a duel, leaving both sides without a champion and restoring balance of a sort.

At the end he's confronted by what appears to be his mysterious employers, who take him to task for letting Briala choose her own fate when granted access to artifacts of the old elvish empire.

So going "ancient elvish" might be a solid guess as to the Inquisition big bad.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is the Landsmeet the point of no return in DA:O? It really feels like I need some more exp to do the sidequests and gold to get best weapons.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    You should be able to keep doing stuff in most areas except for Redcliffe.

Shadowen wrote: »

Great. It was feeling like I was hitting a wall. There is nowhere to grind in that game.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »

Great. It was feeling like I was hitting a wall. There is nowhere to grind in that game.

It's called the party camp.

If you got the Dalish elves on your side, buy a whole shit-ton of elfroots (and you can buy an infinite amount from some vendors) and put 'em in the supply box. Infinite experience as long as your gold holds out.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You know, these games suffer a lack of goblins to bully. In Dragon's Dogma, I threw goblins off cliffs until I started feeling sorry for them.

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the combat is more like Dragon's Dogma this time.

edited July 2014
    Achire wrote: »

That is the key thing that needs to be thrown into all modern AAA RPGs.

Krathoon on
    Nah, it's the opposite side of actiony RPGs. I just don't like running out of things to hit with sticks.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. It isn't an action game so I doubt you'll be climbing onto enemies to hit their weak points for massive damage.

That said there seems to be quite a few little combat tweaks that will hopefully improve things.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The ability to target individual body parts on bigger enemies should make for some interesting tactics. I'm curious to see how tough the High Dragons will be. Those ladies were tough as hell in the last two games.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Achire wrote: »

That is the key thing that needs to be thrown into all modern AAA RPGs.

The problem was they wanted to go more ARPG, but didn't commit to it fully, so they had a halfassed compromised that satisfied no one. (Still not sure how dodge roll will be used effectively in tactical mode (yes we've already covered mechanically))

steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The ability to target individual body parts on bigger enemies should make for some interesting tactics. I'm curious to see how tough the High Dragons will be. Those ladies were tough as hell in the last two games.

There was one in the one two-part video posted, I think the first part. Looks like there may actually be more than one high dragon this time.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    I am getting back into spell casting properly with the Arcane Warrior on DA:O. I think I need to adjust the A.I. routines. Wynne needs to use her mana and heal people better. I usually switch between her and I during fights.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Wasn't there a "side with the werewolves" solution where you could free them from the curse as well as a more "evil" one where you just helped them slaughter the elves and then got werewolves for the final battle?

I never did that one, it was too evil.
    I got those werewolves, but if I remember correctly the elves are real assholes if you're a city elf.

It was a thing and certainly something worth seeing 'what happens if', but from a practical standpoint, it kills an entire potential marketplace. They're slightly better to have at the endgame, but not so much a difference that you regret not having them.

Anyway, I'm reading through tvtropes (trying to distract myself from my ennui) and I read this about Awakening:
    If you import to Dragon Age II, ALL party members not present with you to the broodmother will be flagged as dead no matter if you choose to save Vigil's Keep or not.

This is a thing, right? Like, not a shitty, left in bug but actually implemented and never corrected?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a "side with the werewolves" solution where you could free them from the curse as well as a more "evil" one where you just helped them slaughter the elves and then got werewolves for the final battle?

I got those werewolves, but if I remember correctly the elves are real assholes if you're a city elf.

It was a thing and certainly something worth seeing 'what happens if', but from a practical standpoint, it kills an entire potential marketplace. They're slightly better to have at the endgame, but not so much a difference that you regret not having them.

Anyway, I'm reading through tvtropes (trying to distract myself from my ennui) and I read this about Awakening:
    If you import to Dragon Age II, ALL party members not present with you to the broodmother will be flagged as dead no matter if you choose to save Vigil's Keep or not.

This is a thing, right? Like, not a shitty, left in bug but actually implemented and never corrected?

Anders shoehorning aside, I imagine that could be the case, but since the other characters are never mentioned in DA2 it isn't that big of a deal. Particularly since DAKeep is going to be a thing, it could just be chalked up to one of those many undesirable bugs that Bioware was aware of and didn't want moving over to Inquisition.

Armax Arena, Ferelden branch.

• BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Anders shoehorning aside, I imagine that could be the case, but since the other characters are never mentioned in DA2 it isn't that big of a deal. Particularly since DAKeep is going to be a thing, it could just be chalked up to one of those many undesirable bugs that Bioware was aware of and didn't want moving over to Inquisition.
    Nathaniel is a sidequest in DA2.

Bassguy wrote: »

Nathaniel is a sidequest in DA2.

He must have been one of the ones I left to defend the keep then, because he's not one of the ones that bizarrely is automatically killed regardless of keep upgrade status if left to defend(I took all the ones that always die/disappear if they defend with me), but didn't see him show up in DA2 at all.

• xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    I got my boy friend into DA recently so now he is absorbed. DA:I was part of our push to start saving for a PS4. He has been super into the game and is almost done with Origins. I can't wait for him to see how 2 ends, I am going to need pop corn for that. I plan on playing as a Male Qun Mage and romancing Dorian, unless Cole is romancable. So stoked.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

edited July 2014
    xaldin87 wrote: »
    I got my boy friend into DA recently so now he is absorbed. DA:I was part of our push to start saving for a PS4. He has been super into the game and is almost done with Origins. I can't wait for him to see how 2 ends, I am going to need pop corn for that. I plan on playing as a Male Qun Mage and romancing Dorian, unless Cole is romancable. So stoked.

Per previous Dragon Age thread: "No, he's not."

Per Bioware: "God no, he's not. What is wrong with you?"

Donnicton on

To elaborate, Cole is apparently basically a child, in terms of his mentality.

camo_sig2.png

Blackjack wrote: »

There's also a subsection of borderline-predators on the Bioware forums who don't care.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    "All you've known is death, let us show you love"

O_o

There's also a subsection of borderline-predators on the Bioware forums who don't care.
    There was also a group that wanted to romance Carver and/or Bethany, incest be damned.

Basically, Bioware forums are where humanity goes to die.

camo_sig2.png

WOAH, well then...I guess Dorian it is then... *quietly backs into the crowd to avoid feeling awkward*.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    They mentioned that large enemies will have weak-points, and demonstrated as such in the alpha-demo with the dragon fight... but no, no awkward climbing.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    None of that has anything on the Skyrim mod community. There are mods to literally turn the game into a rape simulator.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

There was also a group that wanted to romance Carver and/or Bethany, incest be damned.

Basically, Bioware forums are where humanity goes to die.
    I mean, how old is that imoen romance mod, They've had creepers long before the BSN (I blame the inclusion of romances)

steam_sig.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    "Other forums have terrible people on them" is the single worst topic that this thread indulges in.

-edit-

I'm not saying I'm not amongst the guilty btw. I do it too. It is terrible though.

Regina Fong on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Have they even mentioned that there will be actual Qunari in the game? Because I had a dream a little while ago where you get between them, Templars, mages, and the battlefield is chaos.

Fencingsax on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Have they even mentioned that there will be actual Qunari in the game? Because I had a dream a little while ago where you get between them, Templars, mages, and the battlefield is chaos.
    And then the mages and templars turn around, shake hands and beat the shit out of the qunari together while shouting "man, fuck these guys!".

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    And then the mages and templars turn around, shake hands and beat the shit out of the qunari together while shouting "man, fuck these guys!".
    Actually, you were basically setting up a triple ambush or something. And then the dragons came.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Actually, you were basically setting up a triple ambush or something. And then the dragons came.

And it turned out the whole chain of events was set up just so Alistair could make another swooping joke.

Anyone else have trust issues because of Anders?

No. Because even in Awakening he was clearly unstable. He just hid it behind jokes. Adding a spirit into the mix just made the obvious worse.

camo_sig2.png

I got way deeper in the game. I did the jail break with Morrigan and Wynne.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    In Awakening Anders just wished for freedom, but he lacked the care to fight for the cause; basically he complains about the templars like always, but his own wants/needs came first. Justice argues with him regarding this in several situations, at one point saying that Anders and other mages should rally against the templars for their imprisonment of his kin, and Anders shakes it off as insanity.

Obviously Justice's words do get to Anders eventually since he agreed to host Justice in him for the sake of this goal, but his time amongst the Wardens and in Kirkwall made Anders bitter towards templars, and the bitterness turned to anger, which tainted Justice and turned him into Vengeance.

In his Rivalry path, Hawke is actually able to persuade Anders into having second thoughts about "his big plan" and Anders even realizes what he's doing is VERY WRONG. However when he starts thinking on it more, Justice/Vengeance comes out in a fit of rage and screams at Hawke to not interfere, before Anders realizes it's too late for him now.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
This discussion has been closed.