As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Legacy stuff
    Having now finished Legacy (fantastic post-mortem btw), Corypheus felt like such a goddamn pushover. He wasn't difficult by any stretch of the imagination and his posturing was more comically aggravating than actually threatening. "YOU CANNOT AVOIIID MYYY FLAAAAAY-MESSSS" - *conjures a thin, slowly-rotating wall of fire*. By the end of it I felt like Hawke's "you've got to be kidding" line had more of a sarcastic tone than anything :P I can avoid your flames! I'm avoiding it already! I didn't have to do anything, even! I can continue to avoid it by slowly walking around this area at a leisurely pace!

I get that he was likely weakened previously having been sealed away for yonks, but as a villain I perceived him to be little more than a nuisance and I would be severely disappointed if he ended up being the central big bad to Inquisition.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Legacy stuff
    Having now finished Legacy (fantastic post-mortem btw), Corypheus felt like such a goddamn pushover. He wasn't difficult by any stretch of the imagination and his posturing was more comically aggravating than actually threatening. "YOU CANNOT AVOIIID MYYY FLAAAAAY-MESSSS" - *conjures a thin, slowly-rotating wall of fire*. By the end of it I felt like Hawke's "you've got to be kidding" line had more of a sarcastic tone than anything :P

I get that he was likely weakened previously having been sealed away for yonks, but as a villain I perceived him to be little more than a nuisance and I would be severely disappointed if he ended up being the central big bad to Inquisition.

Well...I think the final boss fight in Legacy was just Bioware trying out some different ideas.

I think a lot of it was experimenting for DA:I. Because I just watched that AngryJoe preview and I would say that the early game boss battle they showed off was a lot more involved than a lot of the boss fights I've seen so far in either DA game.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Legacy stuff
    Having now finished Legacy (fantastic post-mortem btw), Corypheus felt like such a goddamn pushover. He wasn't difficult by any stretch of the imagination and his posturing was more comically aggravating than actually threatening. "YOU CANNOT AVOIIID MYYY FLAAAAAY-MESSSS" - *conjures a thin, slowly-rotating wall of fire*. By the end of it I felt like Hawke's "you've got to be kidding" line had more of a sarcastic tone than anything :P I can avoid your flames! I'm avoiding it already! I didn't have to do anything, even! I can continue to avoid it by slowly walking around this area at a leisurely pace!

The Legacy boss fight was actually pretty difficult for me, but mostly because of the terrible pathfinding for my party members. The actual tank & spank parts weren't too bad, but I generally was so worn down by the Legend of Zelda phases that I had to restart that fight over and over again.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Me3 ending was great.

Let it go.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Me3 ending was great.

Let it go.

I mean, it wasn't like it was DA2's ending level of bad :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Me3 ending was great.

Let it go.

It was not. But I have.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Me3 ending was great.

Let it go.

It was about as good as the rest of the writing in ME2 and ME3 that wasn't character focused (p. bad).

For DA:I, what with its increased scope and multiplayer, it's going to be really difficult to find time to play through multiple times with different characters/team setups.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just focus on the small moments and character stuff. I consider the entire of me3 with all the great little character moments to be the "ending", not just the last sequence. Most games have overall stories that are these big lore-heavy nonsense exposition-fests that I couldn't care less about, so I focus on the smaller character and mission to mission stuff

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I just focus on the small moments and character stuff. I consider the entire of me3 with all the great little character moments to be the "ending", not just the last sequence. Most games have overall stories that are these big lore-heavy nonsense exposition-fests that I couldn't care less about, so I focus on the smaller character and mission to mission stuff

When I think ME3 ending I think Anderson's "I'm proud of you" and Shepard's "What do you need me to do?" which are just so perfectly heartbreaking. I don't think I really connected with any Dragon Age party members like I did with Mass Effect, save for Varric.

ladi.png
  • Options
    Nah, the endings were pretty consistent with all the themes and ideas explored with throughout all 3 games, the only thing they fucked up with was the over the top emotional manipulation with the kid and the dreams and the catalyst going into expo overload ruining the pace.

• Options
    I was dissatisfied with ME3's writing from the very first second, where they revealed that Shep had been doing nothing for the past 6 months while the Reaper threat drew near. It then got worse when it was revealed that they'd gone the absolute least interesting way with TIM. With distance, I honestly can't say that the ending bothers me so much as the overall missed potential of the entire plot that started with ME2.

Garrus and Mordin though, goddamn. Bros for life.

I really like how Dragon Age and Mass Effect play off one another in my expectations. I bought DA2 sight-unseen because I adored ME2 and it didn't really live up to that, but then I'll be buying DA:I because ME3 changed my attitude towards what I want and what I expect from a Bioware game.

ladi.png
  • Options
    Shep was under arrest for 6 months, grounded and unable to do anything apart from break out which would have been pointless as he would have lost any backing he was hoping to get from the alliance.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Nah, the endings were pretty consistent with all the themes and ideas explored with throughout all 3 games, the only thing they fucked up with was the over the top emotional manipulation with the kid and the dreams and the catalyst going into expo overload ruining the pace.

disagree!
    The themes in retrospect were all over the place, your decisions were irrelevant and the catalyst doesn't even talk, I assume you mean the Reaper AI and that wasn't even featured in the game, it was hinted at in a 1 second segment of the game.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Shep was under arrest for 6 months, grounded and unable to do anything apart from break out which would have been pointless as he would have lost any backing he was hoping to get from the alliance.

Yeah, they wrote themselves into a super boring corner with their superfluous ME2 plot that they failed to get out of, I agree.

ladi.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Why are we doing ME ending talk in the DA thread? Again? Like, there's a whole other thread for that, on the first page even.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Let's see, when has Shepard been grounded and without Alliance backing before? Oh right, ever since the endgame of ME1. Didn't stop her then...

Anyway, I'm really excited to meet my Hawkes. I think it's kinda hilarious that they use the over-the-top blood-smear Hawke in the promo material. Wasn't that blood smudge thing only in Varric's bigger-is-better tall tale version?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »

disagree!
    The themes in retrospect were all over the place, your decisions were irrelevant and the catalyst doesn't even talk, I assume you mean the Reaper AI and that wasn't even featured in the game, it was hinted at in a 1 second segment of the game.

Uhhh

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Why are we doing ME ending talk in the DA thread? Again? Like, there's a whole other thread for that, on the first page even.

[Because its part of the da now world after dai, given that its revealed the archdemons are the early proto-reapers. Didnt you read the leaked dai plot info from the other week? [/spoiler]

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Hey I think the Mass Effect thread is over there, guys. I like having that thread so that I don't have to read people still complaining about a story they didn't like from over two years ago, forever caught in a groundhog day situation where they are forever cursed to say the same thing again and again anytime someone says the words "Mass Effect."

Is it worth it to play either of the DA2 DLC before DA3's release? Do either of them contribute anything to the overall "lore" or whatever you want to call it?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    Hey I think the Mass Effect thread is over there, guys. I like having that thread so that I don't have to read people still complaining about a story they didn't like from over two years ago, forever caught in a groundhog day situation where they are forever cursed to say the same thing again and again anytime someone says the words "Mass Effect."

Is it worth it to play either of the DA2 DLC before DA3's release? Do either of them contribute anything to the overall "lore" or whatever you want to call it?

They are on the keep and i think legacy does, i lost my saves so i ended up just watching a lets play. I would say play legacy before da3's release at least.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

They are on the keep and i think legacy does, i lost my saves so i ended up just watching a lets play. I would say play legacy before da3's release at least.

Cool. I didn't want to do much googling because I'd get immediately spoiled, I'm sure. It seems like Mark of the Assassin is just kind of a side story to tie in with Felicia Day's DA web series and doesn't have a lot of relevance other than that. I think I'll start Legacy up, then.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The worst part of the mass effect franchise's popularity was how it cloned itself onto the dragon age franchise. DAO was great! Did we really need to turn it into an over the shoulder button masher with a single protagonist?

At least it avoided chest high walls and cover mechanics.

Although, i am buying da3 so joke's on me.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The discussion wasn't ME, it was how reactions to Bioware's recent game endings may have influenced the ending of DA:I.

It's just that certain people *cough*Deadinred*cough* can't let anything like that pass without trying to enflame an argument, which, I'm sorry, is exactly what this comment:
    Me3 ending was great.

Let it go.

Was intended to do.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Apparently there's gonna be a stream on Monday where they're gonna show off the prologue.

Sooo yeah, not gonna watch that I think. I'm gonna read some of the reviews on Tuesday and then try and go on a total information blackout until I've actually played the game myself.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm still trying to figure out how much information I'm going to let myself take in next week. Because it seems like Bioware is going to let people start streaming on the 11th.

I'm thinking I'll maybe look at the first few hours of the game, but other than that I'll stick to hunting for mechanical stuff like skill trees.

Since I really want to know how the specs looks before I pick one.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Tevinter would be interesting. If the next PC is from Tevinter I wonder how they'll handle slavery.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Has anyone copied the skill trees from that one video into actual text? A video is basically the least useful way to get that info.

• Options
    Ken O wrote: »
    Tevinter would be interesting. If the next PC is from Tevinter I wonder how they'll handle slavery.

"My name is Ash, and I am a slave..."

• Options
    Xbone gets the first six hours next week, i think. So if you're trying to avoid spoils...

• Options
    Has anyone copied the skill trees from that one video into actual text? A video is basically the least useful way to get that info.

I don't think so. I've been looking at the wikia every now and then and I don't believe anyone has bothered to change it.

I was thinking about filling the stuff in myself. But knowing how anal wiki editors are they'd probably take it down because I didn't wait for proper menu icons.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Here's an imgur album of them:

http://imgur.com/a/DzqMh

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Xbone gets the first six hours next week, i think. So if you're trying to avoid spoils...

Well...I'm one of those people.

I will say except for the stray post every now and then PA is better about spoilers than most places I visit.

But if you don't want to chance it probably best to avoid anything Bioware-related altogether from this Tuesday onward.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Legacy stuff

The Legacy boss fight was actually pretty difficult for me, but mostly because of the terrible pathfinding for my party members. The actual tank & spank parts weren't too bad, but I generally was so worn down by the Legend of Zelda phases that I had to restart that fight over and over again.

Pretty much this. It's not conventionally difficult by any means and unlike some other fights health management shouldn't even really be a huge issue because the big bad himself doesn't even do that much damage. The stage hazards should have been a fun challenge, but godawful pathfinding turned it into an irritating chore where players had to babysit each party member in terms of just moving around.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Well...I mean everything we're talking about is just theory from what we've seen of the trailers.

So we could be wrong about everything. That said...I'm actually feeling kind of confident about at least the base assumptions.
    Actually, wasn't there a leak of the achievements awhile back that seemed to confirm The Elder One's identity?

I've been avoiding it.

Well...no spoilers just answering your question.
    That list is actually different than the one they've shown us so far.

That said...it was pretty close to the current one in some parts. So Bioware could have changed it up just to throw people off the trail.
    One of the more valuable achievements is for defeating Corypheus, so it's very likely he's the Elder One. Given his incredibly powerful magic and being quite possibly the only person to ever physically enter the Fade and survive to the present day, it makes sense.
    Wasn't Corypheus just one of several mages that entered the Maker's city and fucked things up for everyone? Considering that those mages are at the center of the Chantry's dogma and one of the first things you see when you boot up Dragon Age I, it would be thematically appropriate to end the Chantry/Mage chapter with their reappearance.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Legacy stuff

Pretty much this. It's not conventionally difficult by any means and unlike some other fights health management shouldn't even really be a huge issue because the big bad himself doesn't even do that much damage. The stage hazards should have been a fun challenge, but godawful pathfinding turned it into an irritating chore where players had to babysit each party member in terms of just moving around.

I look forward to the day when party AI is smart enough to avoid the slowly-rotating walls of flame and/or to not run directly through a lake of burning oil to attack the one low-level mook on the far side of it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I will say except for the stray post every now and then PA is better about spoilers than most places I visit.

But if you don't want to chance it probably best to avoid anything Bioware-related altogether from this Tuesday Monday onward.

You know...for kids! broken street dates.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

But if you don't want to chance it probably best to avoid anything Bioware-related altogether from this Tuesday Monday onward.

You know...for kids! broken street dates.

The XBox one thing is digital. Can't really have broken street dates with a digital demo.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't know about that.

I'm referring to the day the game is released since physical copies are still a thing.

• Options
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I don't know about that.

I'm referring to the day the game is released since physical copies are still a thing.

Well, he said this Tuesday, which is the demo release. Hence the confusion.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
This discussion has been closed.