As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Invasions

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Had a dude knocking at my door at 2 a.m. one time. I try to ignore it and go back to sleep only it doesn't stop. It is just this constant knocking that someone is not going away until that door gets opened which freaks me out to begin with. Then when I open the door there is this skinny dude standing outside saying he wants to come in and I am some weird ass mixture of scared/angry from being woken up that I yell at him that he doesn't live here and he needs to go away and leave me alone. Close the door and try to settle down only for the knocking to start up again. I think I yelled at him one more time and eventually he goes away. Luckily he didn't try to strong arm his way in or anything, I think it might have just been some drunk guy when got lost or something. But at the time I was really scared.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    one time i home invaded when i got off the wrong level of my apartment block and wandered into the (identical) home of the people living two floors down. i got a funny look before i turned and wandered out again but i was carrying two steaming pizzas at the time so i'm not sure i was an overly threatening visage

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    one time i home invaded when i got off the wrong level of my apartment block and wandered into the (identical) home of the people living two floors down. i got a funny look before i turned and wandered out again but i was carrying two steaming pizzas at the time so i'm not sure i was an overly threatening visage

I miss the bro button

In my apartment complex the halls are more or less perfectly symmetrical, so one evening (real late at night) I left my door unlocked as I went off to do something. I forget what it was. Doesn't matter. We live in a corner apartment so it has a particular feel to it in the hallway.

So I come back, and I'm tired, and I've lived in this apartment for like a week so the whole thign isn't really overly familiar to me yet but I walk back to the door and I open it and I step in

And freeze, because it's pitch black and I specifically left the light on, and also @SilverWind was awake when I left?

I stand there for a second, adjust to the dark, and I notice that there are some shoes next to the door.

That's not my shoe mat, I think to myself.

I look at the opposite wall, which is blank.

That's not our mirror.

It is at that time I realize I have walked into someone else's apartment. Someone who is very probably dead asleep.

I spent thirty solid seconds exiting that apartment as carefully and as quietly as I could, and then I sprinted my monkey ass back down to my own door, actually reading the apartment numbers that time. I don't thinjk I ever told anyone about it until just now.

That is my story.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I did that to a car one time!

Here's the thing--I like parking next to identical cars. Like, if I see a car that matches mine, my brain goes "yo wouldn't it be hilarious if you parked next to that car, and then they came out and got SUPER CONFUSED?"

This is much funnier in my head, I assure you.

Well, one time I did this when wife and I were getting dinner. We ate, we paid, we left, I unlocked my car, we got in... and I looked around, and realized these are not my things. This is not my car.

I quietly closed the strangers car, dove into mine, and sped off into the night.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Should've left a note 'lock your car next time!' and put it on their seat

I guarantee you they will lock that down tighter than fort knox from now on

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I did that to a car one time!

Here's the thing--I like parking next to identical cars. Like, if I see a car that matches mine, my brain goes "yo wouldn't it be hilarious if you parked next to that car, and then they came out and got SUPER CONFUSED?"

This is much funnier in my head, I assure you.

Well, one time I did this when wife and I were getting dinner. We ate, we paid, we left, I unlocked my car, we got in... and I looked around, and realized these are not my things. This is not my car.

I quietly closed the strangers car, dove into mine, and sped off into the night.

During my student teaching one of the other student teachers had an identical car to one of the teachers. Same color and everything. Also the same key. The teacher realized this when they got in the wrong car, started it with their own key, and started to back out when the radio was on some completely different station.

We didn't tell the other student teacher, just randomly moved his car to different parts of the parking lot each day.

He once commented to me about how he kept forgetting where he parked. I just told him it must be the pressure.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    My first line of home defense is of course the noble Katana, ancient and honorable weapon of the legendary Samurai knights of Nihon, backed up by my relentless Bushido and self-belief
    the first line of defense after I've run out of ammunition, I mean

fuck all this noise about machetes and baseball bats and shovels, if I wanted to knifefight a crackhead I'd go shilling Cutco in Detroit

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I've heard pepper spray, preferable a big ol' can of bear spray, is great for home defense. I think it's a great idea if only for the reason that you don't have to really aim and you don't need to hesitate because the effects aren't permanent. You can accidentally pepper spray your girlfriend in a confused semi-awake state and the only thing that will happen is she will hate you forever.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I feel fairly safe with ~150lbs of dog in the house

I have a bat around here somewhere but I can't imagine needing it, the three of them barking would probably warn off just about anybody.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    not that I'd ever want the dogs to fight for me, and aside from Arwen I'm not sure if they even would and I'm happier not knowing. They just make a big toothy watchful deterrent.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    not that I'd ever want the dogs to fight for me, and aside from Arwen I'm not sure if they even would and I'm happier not knowing. They just make a big toothy watchful deterrent.

Big toothy watchful deterrent is my nickname!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    When I move back to Seattle I'm probably gonna buy a little 20 gauge or a 410 pump. I don't care if the dude is seven feet tall and four hundred pounds, you hear a pump racking a shell and your bowels WILL loosen.

Edit: or I'll buy my step-dads .22 magnum lever action Henry off of him! Levers make a nice loud clattery-type gun sound too. And a .22 mag is strong enough to make someone REALLY not willing to try anything funny, but typically not the kinda round that'll go through your house and murder your neighbor

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There was another time when we heard or neighbors window break in the middle of the night when my roommates and I had all been heavily drinking.

We look out and see three guys in ski masks getting shit out of their house.

We call the police but we lived outside of town so we knew it would take ten minutes or so and by then these dudes will have stolen all of our neighbors stuff.

We need some weaponry so my friend goes into his room and pulls out a katana and a crossbow, tosses the crossbow to me and says something along the lines of let's get those fuckers. I have no ammo for the crossbow.

My other roommate comes out of his room with a broom and grabs a trash can lid to use as a makeshift shield.

We throw open the back door and charge at the house. Remember, we're very drunk. My roommate with the katana trips and falls immediately. My roommate with the broom and trash can lid starts banging then together and telling. I run halfway, point the empty crossbow at them and yell something like, stop or in gonna fuck shoot you with this crossbow.

Fortunately for us, this is enough to scare the dudes and they get in their car and bolt.

My roommate with the sword is crying behind me. I go check on him and he's got a katana stuck in his foot.

We dubbed ourselves the Crime Squad after that night.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What if I don't believe in violence.

Violins I mean.

• Options
    I prefer a Fiddile

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jonathan... Are you drunk?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm not drunk

• Options
    Jonathan... Are you drunk?

I wish.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    There was another time when we heard or neighbors window break in the middle of the night when my roommates and I had all been heavily drinking.

We look out and see three guys in ski masks getting shit out of their house.

We call the police but we lived outside of town so we knew it would take ten minutes or so and by then these dudes will have stolen all of our neighbors stuff.

We need some weaponry so my friend goes into his room and pulls out a katana and a crossbow, tosses the crossbow to me and says something along the lines of let's get those fuckers. I have no ammo for the crossbow.

My other roommate comes out of his room with a broom and grabs a trash can lid to use as a makeshift shield.

We throw open the back door and charge at the house. Remember, we're very drunk. My roommate with the katana trips and falls immediately. My roommate with the broom and trash can lid starts banging then together and telling. I run halfway, point the empty crossbow at them and yell something like, stop or in gonna fuck shoot you with this crossbow.

Fortunately for us, this is enough to scare the dudes and they get in their car and bolt.

My roommate with the sword is crying behind me. I go check on him and he's got a katana stuck in his foot.

We dubbed ourselves the Crime Squad after that night.

'Stop or in gonna fuck shoot you with this crossbow' is making me lose it at work

Please tell me none of that was a typo when you were posting it, and that quote is verbatim

Javen on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Not yet

Who's Jonathan

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    It was something like that. I was really drunk. The in was a typo of I'm but that's it.

• Options
    I'm Spartacus

No wait I'm Jonathan

Jonathan "Spartacus" Mcgee

• Options
    ceres wrote: »
    Not yet

Who's Jonathan

I'm Jonathan

• Options
    Not yet

Who's Jonathan

I'm Jonathan

Wait does that make me Steve?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Not yet

Who's Jonathan

I'm Jonathan

Wait does that make me Steve?

You wish

• Options
    It's like the a more boring version of that Cage and Travolta movie.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Whose Steve is it anyway?

• Options
    Who so is Keith?

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    TheStig wrote: »
    I've heard pepper spray, preferable a big ol' can of bear spray, is great for home defense. I think it's a great idea if only for the reason that you don't have to really aim and you don't need to hesitate because the effects aren't permanent. You can accidentally pepper spray your girlfriend in a confused semi-awake state and the only thing that will happen is she will hate you forever.

My imported Evangelion Body Pillow isn't especially vulnerable to gunfire

Rei-chan would forgive me anyway uwu

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've never had anything too bad happen, though I have had someone go through my car in the middle of the night. Like, I go to drive to work in the morning, and the glovebox is open, with everything that had been inside of it sitting on the passenger seat. The car had been unlocked, so at least there were no smashed windows. Nothing was missing, not even a bit of change for the bridge that was sitting in a very visible compartment on the dash (like, probably at least ten bucks). It happened to a few other cars on the street as well, and was probably just some kids being dickheads and doing it for kicks or whatever.
    It's a good neighborhood, with this sort of thing almost never happening. While nothing was missing and no one had been in danger, it's still unsettling to know that some strange person was in your personal space like that.

This EXACT fucking thing happened to me! You don't live in Boston, do you? Someone went into my car, opened up every single little compartment in the dashboard, but didn't take anything. This happened like last year.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    All of this weapon talk

Fittingly to my motif, I keep a broken oar handle next to my door. Handle end is good for smacking, broken end is nice and pointy.

I didn't go out and buy it or have it left over from a row boat or anything.

I went outside one morning, really early, and it was just there, jammed into the flower bed with numbers carved into it.

It is the Excalibur of pointy sticks.

What are the numbers?

HAMM 780-2175, 9204

First Google result is

http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks.com/d/wilfried-hamm/759895328

• Options
    One of my old roommates worked at Subway and I was hanging out with him one night while he was closing up shop.

Three gangster looking dudes come in, eat, and leave without incident.

While cleaning up the dining room though we discover they left a sawed-off baseball bat in the booth.

We made a plaque for it and hung it in the back. The plaque read "The Subway Club"

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    how the fuck did I get this guys broken oar handle

• Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    Once ages ago when I lived in a dorm room I had a friend stay over. We had community bathroom and he woke up in the night and used it then in a drunken stupor went into the wrong room and slept on the couch. He said some guy tossed him a blanket. It must have been one of the shut ins because I never did find out whose room he was in.

I don't really think it's the same thing, though.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I had a bunch of teenagers hanging out across the street in front of my house one time.

They didn't try to break in or cross the street or anything, but still.

Teenagers.

Get off my across-the-street, hoodlums!

RT800 on
  • Options
    Damn youths!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One of my old roommates worked at Subway and I was hanging out with him one night while he was closing up shop.

Three gangster looking dudes come in, eat, and leave without incident.

While cleaning up the dining room though we discover they left a sawed-off baseball bat in the booth.

We made a plaque for it and hung it in the back. The plaque read "The Subway Club"

Neat way to dispose of a piece of evidence from an assault case.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    A sawed off bat?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hell yeah dude. It's still a super effective cudgel, and with all its weight at the business end you can really whip it around. It's like choking up on a bat to swing faster, yeah?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Also a lot easier to conceal than a full size bat.

Sort of like those souvenir bats they give out to little kids at ball games.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades