As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros.: Unofficial roster is out; demo on September 19th.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2014 in Games and Technology
M4s03Df.png
3DS: October 3rd, 2014
Wii U: Holiday 2014

Recent News

September 13th: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS launched in Japan!
September 12th: Special demos being sent to random Club Nintendo members with platinum status for the 2013-2014 year. Regular demo releases September 19th.
September 11th: Players with copies of the game confirm Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt Dog as new challengers. Wario, Jigglypuff, Ness, ROB, Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, and Falco also confirmed as returning veterans.

Screenshot of the Day
daily-en.jpg?

It's been nearly six years since the last Super Smash Bros. graced our televisions. While Brawl had its share of problems, nobody can deny the meticulous attention to detail and the masterful presentation that oozed throughout. Now it's time for a new era of Smash Bros., and this year we're getting TWO games at once: Smash Bros. for the Wii U and Smash Bros. for the 3DS. It's looking like maximum Smash Bros. saturation in here.

The Golden Smash Rule: Do not bring up competitive vs. casual bullshit. I do not understand why people think a game can only be played one way, and that the one way just coincidentally happens to be their way. Regardless, it will not be tolerated here. Complaining about arrogant tournament players or filthy casual scrubs will net you an infraction. This was something that plagued the Brawl threads, and thus far the modern Smash threads have been refreshingly clean of all that garbage.

So read on, and bask yourself in the new and information as we await the release of these promising titles.

Get Ready to Smash
SP9z538.jpg
PN6pII6.pnghfov3H6.pngzU0riWd.pngvignDJO.pngNYh2N6g.png3JhSHcF.png
yrBLsij.pngUwFZMLK.png24bX2Bt.pngo9VS7WV.pngtQCM2pc.pngj42y89C.png
LILj5RR.pngJ3RUiMb.pngtr0PClH.png0yVUnUJ.pngThYlF9c.pngDLSN9mz.png
FRsEFtu.pngmyfjsyr.pngqBIRJ5Y.pngMZM9Y0C.pngQ0SZHMh.png7RMRNFe.png
A4sS2rM.png5LstGJ4.pngEUWgrjt.pngMsbSj7c.pngglQQzqG.pngNBkjJgB.png
aVmlrSB.pngbYb8EMr.pngNlfWMtu.png

Ov6lJe8.gif
sfAaor5.pngJZdxJhm.pngV66lMVG.pngbTRe5PM.pngMqvNL2F.png
4OQKIA7.pngfFdVvWY.png9xKfbse.pngquE7dpI.png01n8RK9.png
WpFrmpp.pngDycc2b9.pngwPmKyNg.pngORXlMgP.pngAWkE2Jp.png

Cut Characters
F6tW0ZH.pngcQQZVCP.pngL2xYYkY.png
WYhQep9.pngR4EqS2D.png

sHDXgh6.jpg
One major twist on stages is that Battlefield and Final Destination have multiple alternate tilesets based on other stages.

Both
  • Battlefield
  • Boxing Ring
  • Wily Castle
  • Final Destination
  • Gaur Plain
3DS
  • 3D Land
  • Arena Ferox
  • Balloon Fight
  • Brinstar (Melee)
  • Corneria (Melee)
  • Distant Planet (Brawl)
  • Dreamland
  • Find Mii
  • Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Green Hill Zone (Brawl)
  • Golden Plains
  • Jungle Japes (Melee)
  • Living Room
  • Magicant
  • Mushroomy Kingdom (Brawl)
  • Mute City
  • Pac-Maze
  • Paper Mario
  • Pictochat 2
  • Prism Tower
  • Rainbow Road
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • Spirit Train
  • Tomodachi Collection
  • Tortimer Island
  • Unova Pokemon League
  • WarioWare, Inc. (Brawl)
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Wii U
  • Coliseum (Fire Emblem)
  • Garden of Hope
  • Great Fox
  • Halberd (Brawl)
  • Kalos Pokemon League
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Mushroom Kingdom U
  • Pac-Land
  • Palutena's Temple
  • Pilotwings
  • Pyrosphere
  • Skyloft
  • Town & City
  • Wii Fit Studio
  • Windy Hill Zone

s5xeKMa.jpg
The 3DS version will feature over 100 songs, and the Wii U version is likely to have even more. Once again, you get a handful of songs per stage and you can pick which songs play, although the 3DS will be far more limited with about two songs per stage. Songs can be found here, but here are some choice tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUaJmum_XWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dndbyEzvtlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drC3KlXFqmM

Ji9vOST.jpg
Will there be cross-platform multiplayer?

Nope. The two versions will have some kind of interplay, but you'll be limited to fighting people who own the same version(s) as you.

How different are the versions?

Rosters are going to be identical, but there might be differences in how a character plays on each version. Stages will differ, with the 3DS having stages taken from handheld franchises and the Wii U preferring stages rooted in home console history. Oh, and if you hate or love the outlines on the 3DS character models, then you'll be happy to know that you can make them thicker or disappear entirely!

The Wii U will have much deeper options for stage musical selections compared to the 3DS having just two options per stage. However, the 3DS will get an exclusive mode called "Smash Run" that is similar to City Trial from Kirby's Air Ride.

Tripping is...?

...gone. The goal is to strike more of a balance between accessible party game and competitive fighter. Basically, somewhere between Melee and Brawl.

What is the plot of Story Mode this time?

There is not going to be Story Mode like Subspace Emissary. It was not terribly well-received (not awful, but also nothing super exciting), so instead the series is going back to something closer to Melee's Adventure Mode where you just run through franchise-themed levels with no real plot connecting anything together. Because the cutscenes were popular, it looks like there will be a cutscene for finishing Adventure Mode (maybe). Sakurai has also said that, since a lot of people just looked up Brawl's cutscenes on YouTube, his team is going to simply create cutscenes to announce new characters. At the bottom of this post, you can see all these that have been released thus far.

What gimmicks are we getting with the Game Pad/Touch Screen?

Nothing that will affect the main gameplay, just menu navigation and some mini-games. If the Wii U version has stage creation (the 3DS does not), then it would really useful for making custom stages. Sakurai said that the two-pad limit for Wii U would make any touch screen feature unfair, and there's probably no touch screen gimmick for the 3DS because it'd be annoying as hell.

Any character changes?

Transformation characters like Sheik and Samus are now broken up into standalone characters, and some moves and final smashes are changing. For example, Olimar's recovery is now the flying Pikmin instead of the Pikmin Chain, and Luigi's Final Smash uses the Poltergust. There's too many tweaks and change than I can really encapsulate here. There also appears to be more in the way of alternate costumes (Little Mac has a wireframe skin, Mario has an outfit from Mario Golf, and gender options for characters like Robin and Villager). There are also "custom moves" which can be tweaks or changes to how a character attacks. Like Kirby can change his B from the standard inhale to a freezing breath or adding a small dash to it. For most characters these are just tweaks to moves, but for Mii Fighters and Palutena it's a large part of their gimmick. Note that custom moves cannot be taken online, and while I'm not sure how this will work for Palutena, the Mii Fighters can only be used in friend matches so far as online play goes.

How is online?

Two modes: For Fun and For Glory. The former is fun time mode which opens up every stage and item except for Final Destination. The latter is Serious Business and turns off all items and stages barring Final Destination along with a crude rating system. Matches with friends will offer the full suite of match options, so you can play however you want with buddies.

I can only play Smash with a Gamecube controller! How can I keep my Smash experience pure!?

Nintendo is releasing an official adapter for Gamecube controllers that plugs into one of the Wii U's USB ports. Going one step further, there's even going to be a special Smash-themed Gamecube controller released alongside it. The adapter is $20, the controller is $30, and there will be a special bundle of Smash Bros. for Wii U that has the adapter and controller for $100 (which means you save about $10 assuming Smash will retail at $60). The adapter is fully compatible with all first-party Gamecube controllers, including the Wavebird.

What other purchasing options do I have?

There looks to be a double-pack coming soon, making it a solid option for those of you with siblings or significant others that want to smash. Oh, and if you register both games on Club Nintendo, you'll get the Smash Bros. soundtrack absolutely free! I needn't tell you what a deal that is.

8RlVDI0.jpg
E3 2013 Trailer/Villager Reveal Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU

Mega Man Reveal Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2KNyaoNV4

Wii Fit Trainer Reveal Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQB8cJTCgrI

Roslina & Luma Reveal Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdutb_6DZU

Little Mac Reveal Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtrmAvL5aw

Greninja/Charizard Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJBPMcbRkk

Palutena Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTW13AYniY

Pac-Man Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVz-2VuAYlY

Lucina & Robin Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ytrX0wweA

Shulk Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUl1EkUJ46k

pHoOZfB.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Little Mac's reveal trailer is still the best guys.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    No way, Palutena's is totally better.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    By the end of this thread (probably), Smash will be out.

*squeal*

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So, from the last thread, Wario has his own section in the 3DS eShop this week, and Smash 3DS is in the list of games he appears in.

Will Smash get gassy tomorrow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsvw1tsnT4E

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    ZPTAbkE.png
    Never forget.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I want to see an Event Match called "Dragon Slayer" where you have to play as your choice of the sword-wielding characters and you have to fight, either simultaneously or consecutively, giant versions of Bowser, Charizard, and Ridley.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    If you think any reveal trailer is better than Mega Man's then I don't even know you

dN0T6ur.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The Lucina and Robin trailer is my favorite so far. I'm not a Mega Man fan so his trailer did nothing for me.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtwYIKjmSmQ

NSFW language, and lower your volume, but I love watching people react to this kind of thing. It's so ridiculous and fun.

Then again, I teared up a little bit at the Kid Icarus Uprising reveal way back when, so who am I to judge.

Taramoor on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'll acknowledge that the Lucina trailer has Sakurai's trolling at its absolute zenith

dN0T6ur.png
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    depends on if g&w makes it in

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Didn't someone joke about Wario being the veteran reveal for SDCC because of his Wario Man superhero alter ego/final smash? That would be funny if he ends up being revealed tonight, although I'm rooting for Ness is there even is a character reveal tonight.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
    I'm thinking they do a "characters from wacky series" trailer, with Ness (... and Lucas?), Wario, and whoever the hell winds up being from Rhythm Heaven, if that's a thing.

Wii Fit Trainer trailer is best because it was so out of left field

YL9WnCY.png
    Even though Little Mac's is the better trailer, Mega Man's will always be my favorite because I just completely freaked out when I saw it live.

• Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    I don't think I understand how people can have reactions that... External.

I mean I can be grinning from ear to ear, but I am staying in my seat.

p8fnsZD.png
    Wii Fit Trainer trailer is best because it was so out of left field

I liked it because it was played with a straight face - didn't precede it with the smash emblem or anything, just "here's some game" "oh it's just wii fit let me put my camera on the floor and break it". A lot of them are designed that way, like the animal crossing one or the rosalina one, or the little mac one, but the reveal happens before it even gets started so I feel like what was the point

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    While it's kinda classy, I resent the smash logo prior to just about every reveal trailer.

YL9WnCY.png
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Aw, it turns out Brawl in the Family will be ending soon. I was just getting into it.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    While it's kinda classy, I resent the smash logo prior to just about every reveal trailer.

I actually like it.

Builds up the suspense? I guess if it is part of a press conference or an announcement where it could be hidden it does sort of spoil it.

edited July 2014
    If it's on YouTube, the video title and description is going to give it away anyway. The suspense is not in knowing that it's Smash, but rather who it's going to be this time.

Wii Fit Trainer had the luxury of not giving away the game too soon because she really is totally out of left field. The rest have been surprising, but they're still the kinds of characters you would more or less expect to see.

edzepp on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    The Lucina and Robin trailer is my favorite so far. I'm not a Mega Man fan so his trailer did nothing for me.

My reactions to all of the above would be the exact opposite if it weren't for Captain Falcon being included in the former trailer.

NNID: Rehab0
    edzepp wrote: »
    Aw, it turns out Brawl in the Family will be ending soon. I was just getting into it.

Recently, I've been pondering the idea of doing my drawing practice by creating Smash Bros.-related comics after my own bizarre and demented sense of humor, with the characters all being dicks to each other. I was stopped by the feeling that, despite the difference in tone, I'd still be directly competing with Brawl in the Family.

I guess not any more?

Sucks to hear about it, though. Those comics were / are adorable.

• JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular

I don't think it showed up when it was actually showing live during the nintendo direct, did it? I mean once you see the trailer on youtube you're spoiled anyways, but I was surprised that some of those trailers were smash the first time I saw them.

Only one I can confirm from memory was the little mac one which definitely showed the logo first

CD World Tour status:
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    If you think any reveal trailer is better than Mega Man's then I don't even know you

Lucinda's reveal trailer confirmed 3 of my most wanted characters including he return of my favorite Captain Falcon. In addition for the first time since Brawl released I can pretend he is a bad ass. Mega Man was awesome, but you can't top those 3 characters all at once.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I think my favorite part of the Mega Man reveal is when he's all damaged and getting pissed and the "Get Equipped With" music from Mega Man 2 is playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5nH1kToa8
    2:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsWAJ5LktJU

Expecting Wario? TOO BAD, Menu Time!

zlCfzSNeTkQ7lATz2R
    Pic of the day. For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!! The icons are even animated. The design concept may look similar if you've played other games I've worked on. But we had a hard time making this one because…

zlCfzSNeUCcxY_WGy5
    The bottom screen displays pictures matching each mode! This was quite a task for the UI (User Interface) designers, but they made it happen. Kudos to them! You can tap the screen to look up additional info like how to play--complete with diagrams.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    That Wii U icon... is that... a transfer icon?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    That would be the mysterious 'Wii U cross-functionality'.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Oh my fucking god I am so goddamn excited for these menus

These menus are the fucking best

This seriously completes the experience for me, like all the other reveals were pretty "meh" to me and really overhyped

But these menus

These fucking menus

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Don't you ruin this for me zepp

I wonder where all the singleplayer stuff is. Challenge I guess?

I dunno, 'Smash' can encompass a variety of things. A few modes in there, some in the other buttons.

There's an option called "Games & More" along with "Challenges"

YL9WnCY.png
    There's an option called "Games & More" along with "Challenges"

Games & More is probably minigames like that pog-like one they briefly showed in the E3 trailer, trophy stuff and options whereas Challenge has you actually playing Smash.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Always love the Challenges mode in Smash!

If the 3DS/Wii U games have one that is Defeat All Newcomers it could be pretty brutal depending on the conditions.

NNID: Rehab0
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hmmm... so you won't be able to just tap to select the game mode you want. Interesting...

Though this does now make me wonder if the game will support the Circle Pad Pro...
    All it would do is rotate the menu camera.

And smash attacks I guess.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.