As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Eyes up, Guardians. Our adventure begins!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    The multi seems... uninspired.

I don't know what to say about it. I've played a lot of multi shooters lately, and the Destiny multi is just not good, as far as I can tell. I'm holding out that I'm overlooking some fascinating nuance, or that full ability sets will drastically alter the gameplay, but...

I dunno. Small groups running some point capture with arena-style ammo.... The movement in Destiny is BLAND AS FUCK, especially when you take into account that Gears of War was years ago, Brink was awhile back, and Titanfall exists. There's no interesting use of cover, no alternate movement styles, veeeery old school vehicle interactions...

I just don't get it. What were they thinking was the big draw?

Halo with more customization through crazy powers and gear?

Which to be fair is a huge draw for me. Shoot, just any type of Halo Multi (with the polish plus map/gun/vehicle balance that Bungie delivers) is enough to make me buy the game.

I'm hoping some of the other Halo elements are in later stuff, then. Stuff like vertical lifts, etc. The pace feels slower than most Halo games to me in terms of engaging, TTK is maybe slightly shorter.

Also, the existence of timer-driven one-hit-kill melee abilities is not something I enjoy. It's not like the power sword where it's something special. Just every once in awhile you're going to start to get into a duel and the other guy is going to instagib you.

I didn't think the melee abilities were one hit kills. I've never died at full shields from a melee hit from anyone.

The melee super ability thing? It's definitely one-hit killed me.

Are you referring to the Titan Fist of Havoc? That's an AOE super where the Titan jumps forward and smashes the ground in front of them, killing everything nearby. It's not a "melee" per se, but if can be used in close quarters. There is a Melee super the Hunter gets, in the Bladedancer subclass, but that's not unlocked in this Beta.

Yes, I am talking about the supers. Warlock also has an instagib meleeish super.

Ah, if you are talking about the supers then I'm gonna suggest to just wait until full version releases. Right now everyone is forced into running subclasses that have quick kill oriented supers. There are six other subclasses and not all of them have crazy killing supers which will definitely change up the feel of multi, imo.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    What's the deal with "level advantage disabled"? You have all your abilities, but you just don't deal less dmg if someone is higher level?

Still makes being level 8 and having my two abilities that buff my stats superior. The level 8 warlock ability like tripled that little armor bar in my stat screen.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Also, you can know if people have their supers. I believe their names are a different color?

@OntheLastCastle Weapons are all basically level 1 in normal PvP. No matter your damage numbers, the weapons all have the same base damage for their type. In Iron Banner, a level 1 weapon will have 23 damage, and a level 8 will have 65 or whatever. Same with armor.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Is Iron Banner the 6v6 control point map? So each handcannon will do the same damage as any other handcannon, gotcha.

Speaking of which... the handcannon is not very viable in pvp from what I've seen so far. Mine shoots too slow and isn't even a headshot OHK.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

I don't know what to say about it. I've played a lot of multi shooters lately, and the Destiny multi is just not good, as far as I can tell. I'm holding out that I'm overlooking some fascinating nuance, or that full ability sets will drastically alter the gameplay, but...

I dunno. Small groups running some point capture with arena-style ammo.... The movement in Destiny is BLAND AS FUCK, especially when you take into account that Gears of War was years ago, Brink was awhile back, and Titanfall exists. There's no interesting use of cover, no alternate movement styles, veeeery old school vehicle interactions...

Which to be fair is a huge draw for me. Shoot, just any type of Halo Multi (with the polish plus map/gun/vehicle balance that Bungie delivers) is enough to make me buy the game.

I'm hoping some of the other Halo elements are in later stuff, then. Stuff like vertical lifts, etc. The pace feels slower than most Halo games to me in terms of engaging, TTK is maybe slightly shorter.

Also, the existence of timer-driven one-hit-kill melee abilities is not something I enjoy. It's not like the power sword where it's something special. Just every once in awhile you're going to start to get into a duel and the other guy is going to instagib you.

I didn't think the melee abilities were one hit kills. I've never died at full shields from a melee hit from anyone.

Are you referring to the Titan Fist of Havoc? That's an AOE super where the Titan jumps forward and smashes the ground in front of them, killing everything nearby. It's not a "melee" per se, but if can be used in close quarters. There is a Melee super the Hunter gets, in the Bladedancer subclass, but that's not unlocked in this Beta.

Yes, I am talking about the supers. Warlock also has an instagib meleeish super.

Ah, if you are talking about the supers then I'm gonna suggest to just wait until full version releases. Right now everyone is forced into running subclasses that have quick kill oriented supers. There are six other subclasses and not all of them have crazy killing supers which will definitely change up the feel of multi, imo.

Yeah, we don't even have the ability to cloak, teleport or put up defensive shields yet.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Don't think its a bug. Prevents you from just toggling between a sniper and fusion rifle as you like.

Yep, I like it. It would be really annoying to flank a sniper and just have him switch to fusion while you're flanking.

They better have some unique competitive game-types incoming. Strike races, competitive horde-type modes, etc. So much unique stuff you could do with this and they give us a lame domination mode.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    What's the deal with "level advantage disabled"? You have all your abilities, but you just don't deal less dmg if someone is higher level?

Still makes being level 8 and having my two abilities that buff my stats superior. The level 8 warlock ability like tripled that little armor bar in my stat screen.

In Crucible, except the special Iron Banner event, your gear stats are normalized to create a balanced playing field. Your abilities will still work, but you don't have to worry that your lvl 4 gun has 1/3 the damage of the other guys lvl 8 gun and trying to get through twice as much armor.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Also, you can know if people have their supers. I believe their names are a different color?

@OntheLastCastle Weapons are all basically level 1 in normal PvP. No matter your damage numbers, the weapons all have the same base damage for their type. In Iron Banner, a level 1 weapon will have 23 damage, and a level 8 will have 65 or whatever. Same with armor.

If I understand correctly, the "Attack" number - the big number - is disregarded in non-Iron Banner, but the gun stat "Impact" still affects how much damage your gun does per shot.

In contrast: in PvE and in Iron Banner, damage you do to enemies per shot relies on both the Attack number and Impact. Someone on reddit tested out the same guns with different Attack numbers and different guns with the same Impact stat to confirm this.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    I haven't seen this Iron Banner. The only PvP option I have in the crucible is the 6v6 control game.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    So, playing through the first few missions I thought this was pretty fun but nothing mind-blowing.

Then I played the "Devil's Lair" strike with a couple people it paired me up with. HOLY SHIT.

• Options
    Ganluan wrote: »
    So, playing through the first few missions I thought this was pretty fun but nothing mind-blowing.

Then I played the "Devil's Lair" strike with a couple people it paired me up with. HOLY SHIT.

Play everything grouped up. Even the Story Missions. So much goodness.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get paired with people for the others automatically, or would you need a pre-arranged fireteam?

• Options
    Is there a way to get paired with people for the others automatically, or would you need a pre-arranged fireteam?

I think it just puts you with people. random people have joined me solo or when I played w/ 1 other friend.

• Options
    edited July 2014

I think it just puts you with people. random people have joined me solo or when I played w/ 1 other friend.

You can set your Fireteam to public (default is Friends-only), and anyone in the same instance can join you. And Strike missions are always 3 people, so if you go into it with solo or with one other person, you will matched with random player(s). Random players in Explore mode can also follow you around, but they can't explicitly join your Fireteam unless you change that public Fireteam setting.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

Warlock's super is melee in the same way a rocket launcher is melee.
    Jesus Christ, Mars is a terrible map.

I love the verticality.

What don't you like about it?

B and C are far, far too close together compared to A. Alpha team has no chance of recapturing either against even a moderately talented or organized team. The door on the left side of B especially is just a death funnel, and the only other entrances are at C and behind C. So it's too easy to defend from C.

EDIT: I really like the design of it though! They just need to fix those points.

You can get above C and drop down behind it. There is also a side entrance that goes just below B... but neither of these really help, and I agree with you that it is too easy to hold B and C. Honestly, the best bet to break a team that has B and C is to run past both of them back to the spawn, force them to spawn elsewhere, and hope you team respawns in the back.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    After spending two days downloading the beta on my neighbors wi-fi I finally got to play some last night and had a lot of fun. Sadly that little taste is all I'm gonna get as I have to work until Monday, but at least I got to try it out confirm that it's for me.

Definitely be there come 9/9 with the rest of the X1 folk.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've laid off the beta.

I love this game a lot but I want to advance super bad and it ain't lettin' me.

• Options
    Bungie released this info a while ago, but I was just taking another look at the trophy/achievement list, now that we have a better idea how Strikes/Crucible/weapons/clans work. Looks very manageable - you won't really have to go out of your way to hunt for any, I don't think - though there's a built-in incentive for us to run raids as a clan, which is exciting. If you haven't seen it already, give it a look. No spoilers of any kind, really.
    hhofubcudlxf.jpg

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Some random game-play from XB1, I'm pretty happy with the grenade throw at 3:20 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j41RyllnwKI

• Options
    I wonder how different the classes really play... I've just been a warlock, but I shoot men in the head and they die. Sometimes I throw a grenade or a spirit bomb at them.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    At @Darkewolfe's suggestion, I've added the following to the OP:

Courtesy of @Beltaine: Although we don't know what these codes really do, they were collectible in the alpha and you might as well take a few minutes and redeem them at http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption to see what kind of benefit they eventually confer. It's probably just grimoire-related, but still.
    Warlock: YKA-RJG-MH9
    Hunter: 3DA-P4X-F6A
    Titan: MVD-4N3-NKH
    Rixis: TCN-HCD-TGY
    Old-Russia: HDX-ALM-V4K
    Hive: 473-MXR-3X9
    Moon: JMR-LFN-4A3
    Gjallorhorn: HC3-H44-DKC
    Duke MK.44: 69P-KRM-JJA
    The Tower: 69P-VCH-337
    The Hive: 69R-CKD-X7L
    Valley of the kings, Mars: 69R-DDD-FCP
    The Fallen: 69R-F99-AXG
    Red Death: 69R-VL7-J6A
    The Cabal: 69X-DJN-74V
    The Devastated Coast, Venus: 6A7-7NP-3X7
    Vex Minotaur: 6A9-DTG-YGN

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I wonder how different the classes really play... I've just been a warlock, but I shoot men in the head and they die. Sometimes I throw a grenade or a spirit bomb at them.

Been wondering the same. Should I spend the time to play one of every class during beta?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    So let's talk PvE Content. We now have a clearer picture of what we're getting in the full game, thanks to a few leaks from press kits and nuggets of information from various interviews and videos. This post is meant to both get people excited for what's in store, but also temper expectations away from some of the wilder speculation surrounding the game.

First, let's look at the "World Map" of Destiny (shown in the Destiny Experience Trailer):

iFZCQJm.jpg
    It appears that there are 4 main "explore" areas where most of the game takes place.
    Earth - Old Russia (we've already explored most of this area, but there are a few closed off sections yet unexplored)
    Moon - Accelerator (Here be Wizards)
    Mars - The Exclusion Zone (Cabal Holiday Resort)
    Venus - The Academy & Vex Citadel (Vexland)

Then there is the Reef, which is supposed to be a giant collection of derelict spaceships where the "Queen of the Reef" lives. There's been talk of doing bounty missions for the Queen, and of taking on giant Hive Tomb ships (and possibly other ships?) in this zone, but little has been confirmed in this area AFAIK. From little we've seen of this area, it appears that at least part of it will be a secondary social hub similar to the Tower in the Last City.

We've already seen the maps of Earth and a bit of the Moon, and the map of Venus was revealed in the Destiny Experience trailer:
    ZpvyVpj.jpg
    From this we can see 7 Campaign missions, 2 Strike missions, and possibly the location of a/the Raid. Earth will also likely have 2 Strike missions, Devil's Lair and the Seraphim Vault that people found through glitching through the world (either it's a strike or a late-game campaign mission). The Moon only shows one Strike marker, but there will likely be a second one in the "Dark Below" DLC pack.

We've yet to see a layout of Mars, but it's fairly safe to assume it will have a similar amount of content to Venus, so expect 6-8 story missions and 1-2 strikes. If there's another Raid there, it will probably be part of a DLC pack, since the only 6-man Raid they've talked about coming with the base game is the Vault of Glass (which is probably that location marked on the Venus map).

Adding this all up, Here's a pretty good guess at the amount of PvE content we'll be seeing in the base game at release:
    • ~28-30 Campaign missions (multiple difficulty levels)
    • 6-8 Strike missions (multiple difficulty levels)
    • 1 6-man Raid (that we know of)
    • 4 "Explore" areas, one for each main location. This mode is called Patrol in the press material.
    • Possibly additional end-game content in the Reef area

Level Cap is 20, confirmed in multiple places (in the beta and elsewhere), however there is an overleveling system called your "Light" level which will further improve player stats for end-game content. There will also be plenty of subclass and gear leveling beyond your base level.

Yes, there is speculation in this post based on partial info, and yes, Bungie could be holding a lot of content back. But I sincerely doubt the game will have significantly more content than what's described above, considering what we've already seen from the Beta. It's not impossible, but I think it'll be much more likely that they'll want to sell additional content.

- - - - - - - -

So how does that stack up with what you were expecting out of Destiny? Personally while I'm bummed there won't be more areas on Earth to explore (at least until Destiny 2 or additional DLC), I think it's still a pretty meaty offering (especially taking into account all the PvP stuff). I just hope they spice up the beacon missions in free roam, because right now those are mind-numbingly boring. Or at the very least add more (and more varied) public events.

• Options
    So, work that context, what percent of the game have we already played?

• Options

20% ish, depending on the size of the Reef and how much of Old Russia is locked currently.

• Options
    That's... Nuts. That isn't much content at all.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yeah, that seems to be about what I'd expect at launch. If I buy it I think that content would more than cover the 1-3 month life span FPSes get out of me lately, depending on the achievements. One thing I will note is that structurally this Defiance are totally apples and oranges. I thought they'd be somewhat similar in feeling but they're not by any means. This comparison abstracting the "bad" bits of Defiance too, which still feels like a beta at time, heh. Anyhoo, with Destiny Beta storyline I just felt like I was playing different levels in a shooter, the jumping back to space before going to the next level only serving to kind of emphasize that feeling because it's pretty much just a stage selection screen. Not saying this is bad, mind you, just adjusting my impressions accordingly.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

20% ish, depending on the size of the Reef and how much of Old Russia is locked currently.

Eh, probably more like 10-15% considering Earth only has 1 strike and only like 5 Story missions right now. There are two big areas we haven't even touched yet in Old Russia (except for glitching to get to them): Seraphim Vault and the Jovian Complex. And there are at least 4 pockets of high level enemies (16+) that act as sort of mini dungeons scattered around the map.

• Options

Eh, probably more like 10-15% considering Earth only has 1 strike and only like 5 Story missions right now. There are two big areas we haven't even touched yet in Old Russia (except for glitching to get to them): Seraphim Vault and the Jovian Complex. And there are at least 4 pockets of high level enemies (16+) that act as sort of mini dungeons scattered around the map.

That might be a better estimate. I was just assuming the Reef wouldn't have much content I guess, and be more of a hub.

• Options

That might be a better estimate. I was just assuming the Reef wouldn't have much content I guess, and be more of a hub.

Unless Mars is wildly different from the other 3 locations (unlikely), the Reef does remain the biggest unknown when it comes to content.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    We're going to the moon for 2 hours on Sat.

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11963

Those guardians went to the moon!

nusu on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I sincerely doubt we're only getting one raid. That doesn't sound very Bungie.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Based on what the destinydb.info farmed out of the mobile app, at launch there will only be 1 6 player raid with 3 difficulty tiers.

Edit: It also looks like there are 8 strikes, with normal and nightfall (?) variants.

nusu on
  • Options
    nusu wrote: »

Will definitely be looking for a group to go take on that mission at 5pm EST sharp.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I will definitely be showing up for this bit.

• Options
    Carbon - that is an awesome post. If that all turns out to be accurate, I'd be happy. I don't want to get nickel-and-dime'd on new content, but if Bungie continues to pump out new stuff (not anything they held back but whatever they work on after launch), I'll pay for it. Hell, if we start with one raid and we get a new one as soon as all of us have had the chance to run it and everything else a bunch and get some sweet loot (after a couple of months?), that'd be perfect timing. I'd prefer a few raids at launch, of course, but I'd be happy with 6-8 Strikes and a raid, with DLC on the way. I expect the raid to be a real commitment, after all. The Strikes are, what, 30-45 min? So the raid will be, maybe, an hour and a half? I can dig it.

I'm also really intrigued by the Reef. Especially because there are only so many planets to explore, I think the idea of staging a few Strikes or raids on space stations and derelict alien craft would be pretty awesome, and it'd allow for a lot of unique design, featuring art that's more than what we see on the planets in hour after hour of story. What's up with the Vanguard option next to the Crucible, though? That's probably just a menu to consolidate the Strikes and raids in one place, right? So that you don't have to fumble around with the different planet maps when deciding with your group where you want to go?

Very cool that Bungie's letting us run that moon mission tomorrow, and I like the emblem. Also nice to see that they're changing the way vehicles work on First Light: one pike per team at the start and a neutral one in the middle, with one interceptor spawning after a delay. I didn't think the Interceptor was so overpowered that it made the map less fun - it was exciting to figure out how you were going to take it down - but the first 30 seconds of that map are always the exact same, and that makes things a bit predictable.

• Options
    Based on what the destinydb.info farmed out of the mobile app, at launch there will only be 1 6 player raid with 3 difficulty tiers.

Edit: It also looks like there are 8 strikes, with normal and nightfall (?) variants.

2 per location sounds about right. Hopefully that doesn't include the DLC Strikes.

I wonder what the nightfall variants entail...maybe Level 20 end-game variants?

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I will definitely be showing up for this bit.

MOON !

This starts at 9pm GMT for the UK peeps.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So been doing the beta, been having fun. I really didn't know much about the game going in. Part way through my fun time it hit me, this is basically Phantasy Star Online (FPS edition). No surprise I find it fun.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

Will definitely be looking for a group to go take on that mission at 5pm EST sharp.

Just hit up the Gunsmith via Vita remote play to get the green auto rifle he's selling in preparation for tomorrow. I rolled with an auto rifle in alpha and have been using a scout rifle primarily in the beta... Still haven't decided what suits me best.

This discussion has been closed.