As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Thread: Darkrai codes May 1-24th through Gamestop

PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity.Registered User regular
edited May 2016 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlcckRrhaNQ

http://www.pokemon20.com/en-us/index.html

Here's the SE++ friend code roster, feel free to add yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKYU2tJ8II

Volcanion, the first Fire/Water type has been officially announced! Stay tuned for more info!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNf66hfywM

The original Red, Blue and Yellow versions are being released on 3DS eShop on February 27th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69p_yJQyQtc

Pokken Tournament in Spring! It has Sceptile in it, so all is well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sj2iQyBTQs

Also, this thing!

PaperLuigi44 on

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    If the Secret Bases as Gyms thing turns out to be pretty well done, I think that might be a game seller for me.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any breeding rejects of Froakie?

I need one with Protean and some egg moves.

Doesn't really matter which ones.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    im still upset that they arent making a good 3ds tcg game

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Why not port the PC online TCG to Wii U/3DS?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Ugh, I just realized I'm missing an egg move for my shroomish breeding.

How big of a step back would this be if I'm currently at the point of trying to get two 4 IV ones to make a 5?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I dunno exactly how the genders work out for breeding but couldn't you keep going until you had the 5, and then go back and breed the egg move down onto a child of the 5 (which would presumably have great odds of being a 5?)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I dunno exactly how the genders work out for breeding but couldn't you keep going until you had the 5, and then go back and breed the egg move down onto a child of the 5 (which would presumably have great odds of being a 5?)

I suppose this would be the simplest way of doing it.

I'm going to need the 5 to be female with the ability I want, though. Same for the resulting offspring with the move (which doesn't have to be a 5 necessarily).

From there it's just the EV grind again and I can definitely do that.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I've decided to raise a Sharpedo in anticipation of a Mega.

Geez, those defences.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I hatched so many combees to get a female, and then she didn't inherit any of the good IVs

destiny knot, you've failed me for the last time

• Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

I'm going to need the 5 to be female with the ability I want, though. Same for the resulting offspring with the move (which doesn't have to be a 5 necessarily).

Depending on the moves you want, I could just give you a Shroomish. I run Substitute, Spore, Focus Punch and Bullet Seed. And I have more than enough Shroomishes...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsIy-fVA_E8
    That's not even all of them, I kept breeding after that

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    Nah, I'm to the point where I have two 5 IV ones, one missing health and the other speed.

I'm just breeding them and just waiting for the right stats to land now.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

Ability can pass down from the father now. If it's a non-hidden ability then ability capsule will save the day!

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Oh man that first meeting with the hoenn professor looks now so much sillier . Geez just give that dog a kick

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I have roughly 1 million combees

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    At least you're helping fight Colony Collapse?

• Options
    Finally have my Shroomish.

Took me 8-ish boxes to get it but YEAH.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    When a box gets full, I wonder-trade 'em all away (except for the best of the best which I save for friends and/or Reddit). Breaks the monotony of endless hatching.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hello fellow pogeyman trainers! I have not played since original Gold. What has changed? What is this "breeding" and these "hidden abilities", and these "IVs", and these "Mega Evolution"
    And these "pokémon"
    ?

Also, should I wait for Alpha whatsits or am I good with X/Y?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    there are now as many pokemon as there are atoms in the universe

catching them all has become fairly daunting

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    It depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. You can get X or Y now to get back into the swing of things and then get Alpha or Omega when they come out.

X and Y are pretty good and have a great selection of pokemon and a fun story. Just for playing through the game, you don't really have to worry about IVs and breeding. The game does briefly go into breeding and there's an NPC or two that brings up hidden abilities.

Mega Evolution is part of the story itself.

Breeding is getting two compatible pokemon to make a baby in the daycare. This lets you pass down stats and also pass down moves they wouldn't learn normally.

Abilities are passive abilities that pokemon have, like Vaporeon's ability to absorb water. Hidden abilities are ones they added in Gen 5, which are usually obtained through special means and allow for some very interesting pokemon. They used to be obtained through the Dream world in Gen 5, but now they're a bit easier to obtain through the Friend Safari you can go to in the post game.

• Options
    I recommend just playing one of them (X and Y are great re-entry points). The game will walk you through most of the changes, then, once you're accustomed to it all you can start delving into the complicated stuff, like IVs, natures, and everything else that goes into competitive breeding. Because, I mean, we could just talk to you about it all, but it's kind of daunting in text.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Starting in again with X or Y is a great idea. The game looks better with the 3D and there is a great mix of old and new Pokemon. Plus you get XP for catching as well. So really the game is better all around.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Dear Gamefreak, if you could give Treecko Fake Out as an Egg Move I'd love you forever.

Yours truly, MZ

(because Lightning Rod Mega-Sceptile would partner so damn fucking well with Cloyster if it had a shut-down move for the first turn)

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Masuda is tweeting pictures of Pokemon plushes wearing glasses

it is adorable

• Options
    Oh my god, I thought I'd seen all the animations in the GBC TCG, but Machamp's Seismic Toss involves dropping the Earth on the opponent. And then Oceania falls off.

• Options
    so apparently snorlax can learn selfdestruct

I need to make this work, because it is hilarious and I love pokemon with weird moves

• Options
    Neat, Vivillon cards are coloured based on their region just like in the game.

Also

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/unleash-the-strength-of-two-tough-pokemon/

Starting soon there will be a Mystery Gift with a Heracross for X and a Pinsir for Y, but the mega stones can't be obtained until the 18th

from Gamestop. At least it's just a flyer with a code, so you don't have to bring your 3DS in.

• Options
    Attention North American Vivillion collectors (or fans of giveaways), the Pokeball pattern Vivillion is now available over Wi-Fi! Also the online Pokemon Center is open for business. They don't have Helioptile-ear beanies though, so it's kind of worthless.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    I picked up an N64 today (for $15, shit was so cash). I don't have any games, nor do I actually have the necessary video cable, but I'm looking forward to getting my Pokemon Snap on.

Remember this post from March? I finally got off my lazy ass and ordered the necessary cable. It came yesterday, and I got an Expansion Pak today. I didn't have a Jumper Pak but I thought it was purely cosmetic. I didn't realize it wouldn't even boot without one. Got an Expansion Pak because I'll get Majora's Mask eventually, so why not?

Still no Snap, but don't fear: This post is still on topic. I have Pokemon Puzzle League, and it looks pretty fun so far! :)

Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    Quoting that post was annoying because the old thread is locked. I had to quote someone else, replace the text of the quote with my post and put my name in the quote tag followed by the post ID that I got from the permalink to the old post. What a pain.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »

I need to make this work, because it is hilarious and I love pokemon with weird moves

Yup. I'll miss the Explosion-filled halcyon days of yore, but Selfdestruct Munchlax was a Pokewalker special. After maybe 5 GTS trades I found a SD Munchlax, now I'm having a hell of a time breeding for IVs because it had none, and the same with every Snorlax I've found. And that hatch rate, oi. My solution has been trying to get a male Helioptile with 5-6 IVs (breed much faster and they were in the Friend Safari) so I can start getting Munchlax babies with at least some 31 IVs and go from there

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    BugBoy wrote: »

Yup. I'll miss the Explosion-filled halcyon days of yore, but Selfdestruct Munchlax was a Pokewalker special. After maybe 5 GTS trades I found a SD Munchlax, now I'm having a hell of a time breeding for IVs because it had none, and the same with every Snorlax I've found. And that hatch rate, oi. My solution has been trying to get a male Helioptile with 5-6 IVs (breed much faster and they were in the Friend Safari) so I can start getting Munchlax babies with at least some 31 IVs and go from there

This is mildly insane and I love it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    New megas!
    Altatia, salamence, and loppunny

I guess they're not restricting themselves to gen 3

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Like the dragons. Hate the other one. Waste of a mega

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    oh man mega salamence looks baller as hell, and mega altaria is hella majestic

mega lopunny is an improvement because it isn't just literally a playboy bunny anymore

edit and is possibly the first normal mega? wait, second, forgot kanghaskan

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, all types had at least one Mega in X/Y.

MegaLopunny looks kinda fun, not a big fan of MegaSalamence but I suppose it is at least an improvement on the actual Salamence design.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Altaria stole all of Ampharos's majestic hair. Dragon/Fairy and Pixilate sure is interesting, too.

• Options
    Also apparently they are giving out shiny Beldums in-game which is tad because Metagross is one of the cooler shinies.

I assume it's the one Steven gives you post-game, seeing how regular Beldums aren't the unique thing they were in Gen III

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    That cosplaying Pikachu also gains different moves based on what clothes it is wearing - Comet Punch, Draining Kiss, Icicle Crash, Electric Terrain and

wait for it

Flying Press

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mega Salamance looks super dumb

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.