As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Thread: Darkrai codes May 1-24th through Gamestop

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I'm not great at nicknames, so I only do so for my eevee team and the random handful of pokemon I iv breed.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i love nicknames for pokemon. like, half the reason i want to catch them all is because of names.

in pokemon x:

i have a gurdurr named "loose change" because jet fuel can't melt steel beams. he's in a relationship with another gurdurr named "proto clown."

all my eevees are named after the friends.

my fletchling is named "fletch lives"

my kangashkan is named "the howling iii"

my mawile is named "peak anime"

my nidoking is called "kevin james"

my jynx is named "al jolson"

and i think i'll stop there because i'm tempted to open up the game and just list off all the stupid nicknames i am proud of

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    i love nicknames for pokemon. like, half the reason i want to catch them all is because of names.

in pokemon x:

i have a gurdurr named "loose change" because jet fuel can't melt steel beams. he's in a relationship with another gurdurr named "proto clown."

and i think i'll stop there because i'm tempted to open up the game and just list off all the stupid nicknames i am proud of

I used to name all my Pokemon stuff like "Fuckshit" and "Dicknuggets" and "Bitchtits" but now it won't let me so I just nickname every single one random shit. Aegislash is "Glamdring", for instance

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Which gen had the really hyperactive rival? I think it was 5?

I named him "Goddamnit" and it was the best. Just an entire game of every important NPC being completely over this kids shit.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't have much faith in realistic cgi pokemon

I agree, they should go with sprites.

Yes the alive action pokemon movie should go with sprites

straight into the garbage

where both those things belong

Yes, in the garbage, along with switches to open gym doors and ultra balls and sometimes even cool Pokemon. You're right, good things can be found in the garbage.

Got a medal that says otherwise

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Darmak wrote: »

in pokemon x:

I used to name all my Pokemon stuff like "Fuckshit" and "Dicknuggets" and "Bitchtits" but now it won't let me so I just nickname every single one random shit. Aegislash is "Glamdring", for instance

Heyyyyyyyyy I also named my aegislash glamdring

Hi-5

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I named my Fearow Xavier and my snorlax Barenjager.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My favorite naming convention is still naming all my Electric types after influential scientists and physicists in electricity and electronics. Faraday, Ampère, Maxwell, Coulomb, Lorentz...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    is aegislash the sword ghost

mine's named exor

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Pokemon the movie by Michael Bay. The U.S. military has begun production on portable biological weapons that are summoned by thrown grenade-like balls. An evil crime syndicate has stolen this tech, and we get to see Megan Fox and pikachu run through New York City as things blow up.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    is aegislash the sword ghost

mine's named exor

My aegislash is named Bellona as her symbol was the sword and board

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Whippy wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

in pokemon x:

Heyyyyyyyyy I also named my aegislash glamdring

Hi-5

I named my Salamance "Ancalagon" and my Garchomp "Glaurung".

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i have beautiful, wondrously witty names for all my pokemon but i can't remember them right now. please take my word for it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I named my Aegislash, Arthur.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I wish I was good at naming Pokemon

The best I ever came up with was Lumiere the Chandelure

and well

I was not alone there

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I once named a Skitty, Skittypurry.

That is about my level of skill when it comes to witty Pokemon names.

• Options
    I do weird names for Pokémon like TR632 or LV893 usually
    or I will do car parts and furniture
    I tend to name my Link in every Zelda game off a piece of living room furniture so now in Ocarina I am either going with Inn Table or Couch

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    naming things is one of the great joys for me in video games

I like making up rules for generating them

for pokemon if I'm not immediately inspired looking up mythical creatures from cultures I'm unfamiliar with is usually a good start. failing that running some free-association through google translate almost always works

hungarian, turkish, czech, igbo, icelandic and finnish are my go-tos, and for x/y, french

as your basic monolingual american I am easily dazzled by foreign words

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Just name my pokes whatever feels right.

Fartmunch, Einstein, SCRUUUTUT!!, Dodongo, Brobat, Rozencrantz.

They're all good.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    so for zoroark I think I googled something along the lines of "trickster fox"

which is kinda redundant

eventually I came across kuma lisa, which I liked because I could then use "kuma l--" for all of their descendants, but since the zoro in question was male I went with kuma lester

for several months, until I happened to say it aloud

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Once when I was playing Pearl I decided to catch every bidoof I found and give t a nickname that was an anagram of Bidoof

Oh, Foodib, Idboof, Boofid, and Oofbid

I miss you so

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Don't forget Diboof

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Sweet, gentle Diboof! How could I ever forget?

• Options
    naming my basculin "feminin" made me feel way more clever than i had any right to

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    My Aegislash is named Stabby

My mega Ampharos is named Swayze for his amazing hair

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Bidoof is strong and he is my friend.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I always name my generic bird flying type (i.e. pidgey, spearow, staraptor etc.) Hank.

I don't know why, just seems to fit. Go out of my way to catch a male one too.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I am terrible at naming things in general (with the possible exception of starships) so I always look at the default name and go "Yeah I prefer that".

• Options
    I also catch a bunch of random pokemon to wonder trade and I'll name them all some variation of WonderTrash or TradeFodder. I know that makes me scum but I've learned to live with it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I really don't do the wonder trade because of that. the Shiny clic at work says I am missing out or it's wrong I passed on it but I can get what I would like in the GTS

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I named an Entei HotDog, cause I'm cool like that. In one game, my daughter named most of her pokemon Zack. In X my son named most of his pokemon Egg, because it was one of the few words he could spell.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Oh, I caught at Clefairy in Yellow and named it Jerkface.

Because Clefaries in Gen 1 are.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really don't do the wonder trade because of that. the Shiny clic at work says I am missing out or it's wrong I passed on it but I can get what I would like in the GTS

For every person who trades bidoofs / rattattas / fodder there are people who trade their breeding projects, and you can get 4IV+ pokemon with good natures, hidden abilities, and egg moves. At least more than once they've given me a huge leg up on breeding a pokemon I wanted

Oh, and also having pokemon with more unique IDs helps with the daily lotto game. I kept a lot of traded 'mons for that reason.

Of course, you don't have to wondertrade if you don't want to! :P

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Yup sometimes you get a bidoof sometimes its a hidden ability starter. the great thing is if its something you don't want you just wonder trade them away and roll the dice again. Sometimes if I'm watching a show Ill just keep wonder trading. PLus I think it is cool to have pokemon from all over the world and trainers

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

For every person who trades bidoofs / rattattas / fodder there are people who trade their breeding projects, and you can get 4IV+ pokemon with good natures, hidden abilities, and egg moves. At least more than once they've given me a huge leg up on breeding a pokemon I wanted

I did this for a bit but then I guess I flooded the wonder trade with too many Mawiles because I started getting some of them back

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    It's not like I'm sending out Bidoofs. I just catch whatever I happen to be grinding for exp, so recently it was druddigons and zweilous and gravelers and stuff.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Also, I just now beat the Elite 4 in Pokemon X, despite owning it since release. Partly due to losing my physical copy, partly because I take my time with these things.
    Yay, AZ got his Floette back!

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.