As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokemon Thread: Darkrai codes May 1-24th through Gamestop

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    He felt bad when he realized just what he had done. And I don't want to make it into a huge deal. Its just a game bit I'll admit it's a bit upsetting

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    ...the game doesn't let you save a new game without wiping the data. You have to use an arcane button combination at the title screen, then select the thing that says "this will wipe the save game" and THEN select the thing that says "Are you SURE you want to do this?"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

turtleantSirToastyBlankZoeKing RiptorKwoaru-TalGennenalyse Ruebendarunia106
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    You should murder him.

Speed RacerDarmakWhippy-TalChallSir FabulousTheodore FlooseveltAndy Joe
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mirder solves most interpersonal conflicts I've found

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    You should murder him.

At the very least toss him in a pit. This was clearly intentional

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I mean yes I did briefly consider murder. But he did it because he wanted to play pokemon, not out of malicious intent. Just, stupidity.

So now I have tasked him with catching 'em all. Which I feel is a fitting punishment

8EVmPzM.jpg
    SilverWindMagic Pink
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    when is gamefreak going to stop messing around and give you multiple save slots

PNk1Ml4.png
    MarathonMagic Pink
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Not as long as they can get people buying multiple copies.

turtleantKwoaruOmnipotentBagelMunkus Beaverdarunia106
  • ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I spoke to my quilava while inside the 5th gym, and he was "making an unhappy face" all I could think was shit, what did I do wrong am I a terrible trainer?

It took me longer than I would have liked to realize we were standing inside the water and that he has a particular mood just for that very specific instance.

Technology.

EDIT:
    Despite being outclassed in every single way, I beat the gym leader because he decided to spam focus punch, letting a 2hp dratini dragon rage his poliwrath 5 times in a row. Literally any other move would have swept my team. Good job Soulsilver AI.

Zenyatoo on
    PolaritieGoose!
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Well given that the legendary bird email is gone forever which of the newer poke games are they easier to catch in or even available? I've got ruby and Y. Hoping it's not one of those awful groupings where one bird is in X and another's in Y.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    I spoke to my quilava while inside the 5th gym, and he was "making an unhappy face" all I could think was shit, what did I do wrong am I a terrible trainer?

It took me longer than I would have liked to realize we were standing inside the water and that he has a particular mood just for that very specific instance.

Technology.

EDIT:
    Despite being outclassed in every single way, I beat the gym leader because he decided to spam focus punch, letting a 2hp dratini dragon rage his poliwrath 5 times in a row. Literally any other move would have swept my team. Good job Soulsilver AI.

this is why gold is better game

Melding wrote: »

Technology.

EDIT:

this is why gold is better game

Yeah but Lugia > Dumb fire bird (We already have a legendary fire bird, what are you even doing gen 2)

BahamutZERODarmakdarunia106Whippy
    -Tal wrote: »

Never.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

KwoaruButler For Life #1BahamutZEROMoth 13turtleant
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Pokemon Bank is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to multiple save slots

2x39jD4.jpg
    SnowbearBrainleech
    Clearly my mistake was not leaving everyone in the bank

8EVmPzM.jpg
    Whippy
    So let me get this straight. You do the 5th gym, whose leader has a level 31 poliwrath. You fly back to Olivine, because there's literally nowhere else to go and it's plot advancement time.
    Jasmine goes back to her gym, which has 0 trainers in it.

And then she busts out 2 level 30's and a level 35 steelix.

Game, I just barely had 5 pokemon at 27 by the 5th gym. You've given me literally 0 more leveling areas (outside of like, 4 trainers en-route to the safari zone who had level 14-17 pokemon so fuck off with that noise game), and you just jumped up the gym leader 4 levels.

I guess im just 2casual4pokemon now. I hit poliwrath with a STAB thunderbolt and didnt even do 1/4th his hp. I have no idea how im going to beat this steelix short of surf and prayer.

gen 2 has a bad curve

2x39jD4.jpg
    Butler For Life #1ZenyatooSpeed RacerRorshach KringleTommy2HandsBahamutZEROWhippy
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Well given that the legendary bird email is gone forever which of the newer poke games are they easier to catch in or even available? I've got ruby and Y. Hoping it's not one of those awful groupings where one bird is in X and another's in Y.

I think all 3 birds are available in X and Y both.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I thought you get one bird per game and you'll have to trade for the rest?

SilverWindTommy2Hands
    Marathon wrote: »

That's very possible, I don't know the exact details

JtgVX0H.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    You could always pick up a Gen 1 game on the virtual console and get them that way

It's a lot of fun playing Gen 1 again!

turtleant
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    BugBoy wrote: »
    oh boy do I

top three bugs I want to see as Pokemon would probably be

1.Giant Water Bug

2.Assassin Bug

3. Bug/Ice anything- Arctic Wooly Bear or Grylloblattids would be good choices

oh my heavens I love wooly bears so much. the literal cutest bugs ever. they're always all over the country roads in summer up here

edit: HOLY CRAP THERE ARE WOOLLYBEAR FESTIVALS IN PENNSYLVANIA ROAD TRIP

Magic Pink on
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah, one bird per game (based on starter pick) and it's one of the most annoying fucking catches imaginable. It takes about two hours of the most overwhelmingly tedious shit.

Tommy2Hands
    I actually found the birds in X/Y to be the best roaming Pokemon setup ever, since after 10 encounters they become a normal legendary encounter. With all the others you had to not only chase them down, you also had to iteratively weaken them and then hope you got lucky with your Pokeballs.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I was open to the possibility that there were bigger ballaches. I just hate the roaming pokemon thing generally.

MarathonSpeed RacerKwoaruWhippyRorshach Kringle
    Tube wrote: »
    I was open to the possibility that there were bigger ballaches. I just hate the roaming pokemon thing generally.

For sure, they're all incredibly frustrating. Of all the gimmicks to keep from generation to generation...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Roaming Pokemon are a neat idea in that it's cool that you can just be mindin your own business and then WHOA WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

but then when it's time to hunker down and catch them it's a gigantic pain in the ass

KwoaruOmnipotentBagelMoth 13Whippy
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    There's probably a way that they could keep that feeling of randomly coming across something unexpected like that without it being such a pain in the ass.

They have not bothered trying.

There's probably a way that they could keep that feeling of randomly coming across something unexpected like that without it being such a pain in the ass.

They have not bothered trying.

Maybe if they moved in a simple, easy-to-follow pattern so you could chase them down without a lot of difficulty? Instead of pseudo-randomly jumping around the map in a way that makes no sense and is nigh-impossible to predict?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

replacewythyTommy2Hands
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    How about they roam about and you can catch them while roaming but there's a point in the third or fourth quarter of the game where you can just summon the roamer to a set location?

That way you can have a pleasant surprise catching the legendary in advance (instead of the enraging encounters in X/Y where you can't catch them when you randomly encounter). But for those who can't be bothered, you'll have a set place late game where they can be found.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    replacewythyOmnipotentBagelTommy2Hands
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Part of the annoyance in X/Y is that they're nonsensical as well. In the other generations the roaming pokémon are all tied to the plot in some way but there it's just "oh here's an Articuno byyyyeeeeee"

It isn't particularly cool to see the legendary bird trio running around for no reason

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Roaming Pokemon are a neat idea in that it's cool that you can just be mindin your own business and then WHOA WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

but then when it's time to hunker down and catch them it's a gigantic pain in the ass

When I ran into Suicune randomly in Silver I almost had a heart attack. Then it ran and I panicked a second time.

Tommy2Hands
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Yeah the roamers in the second gen were easily the best

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Butler For Life #1
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I mean... we all just sat at a crossroads that had grass on both routes and moved back and forth checking the pokegear to see when it had appeared in our route right?

Or at least that's what I remember doing. I dont recall if the moves that prevented escaping worked on the dogs and stuff but yeah, using that first turn and it just becomes a normal leggo fight.

I spent way to much time hunting Entei to fuck about with anything other than super optimal hunting plans now.

I think I just never caught them before the next gen came out

Roamers are the worst like that

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Also, I just noticed we're on the 99th page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveMe4HgPik

I could do up another OP, but I won't object if anyone else wants to take over.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I went back to page one, just to see what was going on when the thread began
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I have roughly 1 million combees

Hey past bugboy! You eventually do it! You finally get that perfect combee!

BugBoy on
    PaperLuigi44SilverWindKwoaru
    I mean... we all just sat at a crossroads that had grass on both routes and moved back and forth checking the pokegear to see when it had appeared in our route right?

Or at least that's what I remember doing. I dont recall if the moves that prevented escaping worked on the dogs and stuff but yeah, using that first turn and it just becomes a normal leggo fight.

I spent way to much time hunting Entei to fuck about with anything other than super optimal hunting plans now.

Back then I just wanted around until I caught them normally. Now I have a Parasect named Slavecatcher with false swipe and spore so it'll be ready to catch Articuno when it's ready to be caught

JtgVX0H.png
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Wow, this thread was created in 2014? @PaperLuigi44 you should be credited for your consistent OP and title updates

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
This discussion has been closed.