As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IIIIIIIIIII'm Hooked on a [Superhero Thread]

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait am I stuck in a time loop
    Is it yesterday again

• Options
    Bear_thescondBear_thescond Registered User regular
    From Forbes.com on the weekend box office:
    I don’t want to proclaim the film as any kind of preemptive box office champion after one weekend of superlative numbers. Point being, this summer has not been a kind one in regards to legs. Next weekend will tell the tale. But come what may this is a terrific start that firmly establishes that Marvel is a brand name unto itself and a more important marketing variable than whatever property it happens to be producing this time around. So yes, to answer a question I asked last April after Captain America: The Winter Soldier opened with $95 million, Marvel is presumably now Pixar. Disney can claim both two of the biggest three debut weekends of the year (behind Paramount’s $100m debut for Transformers: Age of Extinction) with those weekends falling outside of the stereotypical blockbuster season.

This is a possible game changer in terms of where studios can schedule would-be tent poles, as if August is now seen as viable real estate it could do wonders to break up the clutter of summer 2016. This debut, an original space opera starring a cast of mostly (aside from Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper in vocal roles) non-stars (Chris Platt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Lee Pace, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, and Benicio Del Toro are names of varying recognition without being box office draws) proves two things. First it means that there is no summer slump. Audiences will flock to theaters if the film debuting is something they all want to see. Second, it means that Marvel can do whatever it wants now. So if they choose not to make a female-centric or minority-centric superhero film, it’s because they just don’t want to.

First off, what a wonderful geek world we live in.

Second, I just cannot see Marvel being ignorant on the traction of the "female/minority hero" buzz that is going around. There is enough chatter on Black Panther that it has to be down the line. As the female-centric film, I know AV Club and the like have been quoting Feige dancing around the issue, but I feel that as long as he can push his clout around any execs, it's going to happen. I see his answers as being more political than anything. I'm sure Marvel knows how big a move it would be, and going with their own standards, it has to be done right. It's unfortunate though, that what, with the released dates, we're predicting that only Black Panther could fit in?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Thread, I'm sorry for the things I said when I briefly possessed Megan Fox

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Megan-Fox-Tells-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Haters-F-k-Off-66574.html

Welp, if that's how they're going to act then I'm downgrading the movie's status from "Will see if word of mouth is stellar" to "Nope, got better things to do with my time/money."

Lars on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait am I stuck in a time loop
    Is it yesterday again

I skipped about forty pages of the thread so I wouldn't have to scroll past GotG spoilers forever. I just saw that this morning.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Thread, I'm sorry for the things I said when I briefly possessed Megan Fox

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Megan-Fox-Tells-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Haters-F-k-Off-66574.html

Welp, if that's how they're going to act then I'm downgrading the movie's status from "Will see if word of mouth is stellar" to "Nope, got better things to do with my time/money."

Yes, "they"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    just got a hot scoop
    Avengers 3 will follow the infinity storyline. While the classic avengers and guardians of the galaxy are fighting in space, the new phase 3 heroes (Ant-Man, Wasp, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Beta-Ray Bill, Defenders ) must hold down the fort on earth against Thanos, who wields a less powerful infinity gauntlet. They are aided by new characters in Avengers 3 which are the Inhumans, and Captain Marvel, who is given powers by the Guardian of the Galaxy Phyla-Vell.

Terrigen Mists are released, not-mutants including Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau appear. Tony Stark dies and James Rhodes vows to take his place as Iron Patriot. The allfather expends his odinforce in protection of midgard and dies, so Thor takes the throne of Asgard. The incredible hulk decides to stay in space. Steve Rogers retires after his time in the ice catches up to him and he begins aging into Old Snake. Wasp takes leadership of the Avengers.

phase 4:

Iron Patriot
    (Netflix: She-Hulk)
    Wasp

Captain Marvel guest starring Ms. Marvel
    (Netflix: Moon Knight)
    Dr. Strange 2
    (Netflix: Swamp Thing)
    Spectrum

Black Panther 2
    (Netflix: Hawkeye)
    Black Widow
    (Netflix: Spider-Woman)
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Avengers 4

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It was a press conference featuring a bunch of people from the movie, including the director, and they apparently let it ride when she said that.

And I do not take it well when someone tells it's audience "You've got concerns about what we're doing? Well, fuck you, you'll go see it anyways" because no, I will not, even if I might have before they said that.

Lars on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    F you, I've got my fingers in your wallet

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Can't really put a finger on what direction they'd plan to take the Captain Ms. Marvel movie.

Iron Man? Sci-fi / Technology stuff.
    Captain America? Political.
    Thor? Fantasy.
    Hulk? Jeckyll/Hyde dichotomy (possibly monster protagonist?), SMASH stuff.
    Guardians of the Galaxy covers space operas and a larger dose of comedy.
    Ant Man? Planned to be a heist film.

Carol Danvers? I dunno. I presume the potential movie would (and should) include a prevailing theme of women empowerment. But if it's the only theme, won't people see it as sort of patronizing?

I dunno, did people think Frozen was patronizing?

Besides, Carol's got more than just "female empowerment". She's got sci-fi, aliens, military, and daddy issues too!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghostbusters-3-targets-paul-feig-723028?utm_source=twitter
    After a long search, Sony is zeroing in on a director for Ghostbusters 3, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Paul Feig, director of Bridesmaids and The Heat, has emerged as the frontrunner, according to sources, and Feig has shown interest in taking on the project. Sources caution that no formal negotiations have taken place and a lot must be worked out before the casual discussions turn serious and Feig accepts the job. But he is the studio's first choice, these sources said. Sony declined to comment.

Sources say the film will be a reboot focusing on female Ghostbusters.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Guardians of the Galaxy #1 at the box office. $94 million in the US, $160.4 million worldwide

Can we talk about how, as amazing as those numbers are, it'll still be in the bottom 5 for MCU opening weekends?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Marvel arranged for a private viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy for Bill Mantlo:

https://www.facebook.com/michael.mantlo/posts/10152701024174623

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    just got a hot scoop
    Avengers 3 will follow the infinity storyline. While the classic avengers and guardians of the galaxy are fighting in space, the new phase 3 heroes (Ant-Man, Wasp, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Beta-Ray Bill, Defenders ) must hold down the fort on earth against Thanos, who wields a less powerful infinity gauntlet. They are aided by new characters in Avengers 3 which are the Inhumans, and Captain Marvel, who is given powers by the Guardian of the Galaxy Phyla-Vell.

Terrigen Mists are released, not-mutants including Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau appear. Tony Stark dies and James Rhodes vows to take his place as Iron Patriot. The allfather expends his odinforce in protection of midgard and dies, so Thor takes the throne of Asgard. The incredible hulk decides to stay in space. Steve Rogers retires after his time in the ice catches up to him and he begins aging into Old Snake. Wasp takes leadership of the Avengers.

phase 4:

Iron Patriot
    (Netflix: She-Hulk)
    Wasp

Captain Marvel guest starring Ms. Marvel
    (Netflix: Moon Knight)
    Dr. Strange 2
    (Netflix: Swamp Thing)
    Spectrum

Black Panther 2
    (Netflix: Hawkeye)
    Black Widow
    (Netflix: Spider-Woman)
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Avengers 4
    My favorite part of this?

Swamp Thing is DC

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Prequel lightsaber fights:

4thrz.gif

I haven't watched the prequels in a long while, 'cause I don't really have a strong attachment to them or to Star Wars as a whole

But looking at that, right now, it looks like they just set up the lightsaber fighting style as a lot more eskrima based than western swordsmanship based

And like, I got a preference for one of those in my own life, because I find one a lot easier than the other

But there ain't nothing wrong with that as a style

The original movies used a martial-arts-movie-fan-version-of-kendo style almost exclusively. Which fit largely into the Yojimbo, wandering ronin, style and story. The circle and lunge style also lended itself well to carrying out dialog during the fight while making it seem practical as two people looking for an opening. I think the first style shows regard for the lightsaber as a weapon that's just hella deadly, the second looks like they don't quite comprehend that hitting yourself with the thing means death,

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    despite everything else, I actually like Batman having white eyes

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    despite everything else, I actually like Batman having white eyes
    But it's only for that dumb power armor

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just saw GotG again, making it probably the first time I've ever seen a movie in theaters twice

hey that movie's p. good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Also right in the middle of the movie I heard a little kid shout "ROCKET'S THE BEST"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    J.budz.J.budz. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I have a feeling that Ben Affleck will make a bad Batman and probably ruin the movie.

• Options
    Ben Affleck is the least of that movie's worries

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The casting is fine - great, even. It's not going to be the problem with this movie.

• Options
    edited August 2014

I figure if the guy can ruin Daredevil, he can ruin Batman v Superman.

J.budz. on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Affleck wasn't the main problem of Daredevil either.

• Options
    Affleck is a problem unless he is supporting cast.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Counterpoints: Argo and The Town

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    "I'm pleased to reveal the latest Marvel movie in development. Fans who watch 'the twitter' have been getting excited. All that can be said is she's a real marvel. Yes, that's right, I am pleased to announce...

Katee Sackhoff is...

Ms! Marvel!"

As a huge Carol fan, please no. The only role I really liked Katee in is Bitch Pudding on Robot Chicken.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    What's your problem with Katee Sackhoff?

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I want to take away Superman's heat vision so nobody can do the dumb fucking glowing-red-eyes thing ever again

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    I'm really worried that Affleck is going to ruin this stupid sequel to a horrible movie.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    J.budz. wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Ben Affleck will make a bad Batman and probably ruin the movie.

I have a feeling that Zack Snyder will make a bad movie and probably ruin the movie.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    What's your problem with Katee Sackhoff?

The silliness of her character in 24 and not caring about Starbuck at all in Battlestar.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I LOVED uncanny avengers Vol 1.

Vol 2 is incredibly confusing to me.

Can someone please, without spoiling vol 3, explain to me Kang and Immortus and Evan SabahNur and Warren.

Because I love alternate timeline stuff but I think I'm missing a bunch here.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Really, all of the casting for Daredevil was pretty solid

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

Can someone please, without spoiling vol 3, explain to me Kang and Immortus and Evan SabahNur and Warren.

All the Evan and Warren stuff is a follow-up to what went down in Uncanny X-Force (which you should absolutely read).

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Really, all of the casting for Daredevil was pretty solid

Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin was a masterstroke. I really liked Joe Pantoliano as Ben Urich too. Colin Farrell was probably my favorite part of that movie though.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Kang/Immortus is tricky to explain

But if you want to learn about Evan you should really read Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender

one of the best comics in recent history and kinda ties into Uncanny Avengers

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Guys I am getting all teary-eyed at the thought that someday I'll be able to show my kid these superhero movies and they don't suck and aaah my childhood

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Speaking of Arrow being not-Batman, I still they should bring in Red Hood. They could easily ignore the Batman relationship for the character.

Idea:
    Ra's / Nyssa / Talia (if they introduce her) stole/resurrected Tommy's body after The Undertaking and have been training him. They send him as the Red Hood to Starling to track his father, but he goes off tangent chasing Oliver/The Arrow because of his (Lazarus-pit fueled) hatred and jealousy since Ollie didn't save him and was still in love with Laurel.

Buuuut I haven't quite worked out how to not completely ruin Tommy as a character by doing this. I haven't thought a lot about it either; this was a sleep deprived idea last night

This discussion has been closed.