As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think my iPod is dead

Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
And oh how sad I am. It's a second generation (I think) so no video or any of that fancy stuff. I'm the original owner, had it for about three years (don't quote me on that). One day I plugged it into my computer to put a text file on it to move to my room mate's computer. When I opened Explorer with the iPod connected, Explorer froze. So I disconnected the iPod and realized it had no songs but iTunes still reports it as nearly full, meaning (I assume) that the files were corrupted somehow and are no longer being recognized.

Now when I connect it to my computer, I can't even start iTunes or Explorer (so, as far as I know, I can't set it back to factory default). Any suggestions?

Vi Monks on

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's already well past its life expectancy, so yeah, it's probably a goner.

Zek on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The files most likely aren't corrupted. Just the database.

You should enter diagnostic mode, and run some of the tests there, starting with the 5-in-1. That should let you know if the drive or some other part is physically boogled. Since the keypress to enter diagnostic mode is different for each generation, just google "iPod diagnostic mode" and look for your generation.

If you are by chance running Vista, you should know that it does not get along well with iPods, particularly if you have used the "eject iPod" button in iTunes, or "safely disconnect device" prompt in Vista.

naporeon on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Disc mode! That's always the answer!

And then just reformat it. That usually works.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    The files most likely aren't corrupted. Just the database.

You should enter diagnostic mode, and run some of the tests there, starting with the 5-in-1. That should let you know if the drive or some other part is physically boogled. Since the keypress to enter diagnostic mode is different for each generation, just google "iPod diagnostic mode" and look for your generation.

If you are by chance running Vista, you should know that it does not get along well with iPods, particularly if you have used the "eject iPod" button in iTunes, or "safely disconnect device" prompt in Vista.

I am running Vista (forgot to mention it in the OP) and I was worried that might be part of the problem, though I did use it successfully with Vista for a month or so.

Anyway, I ran some of the tests and things appear to be working, though I can't be sure. The jjjj scaan read Retracts 116 Reallocs 0 Pending 0. The HDD R/W passed. The 5 in 1 reads the following:

SDRAMPASS
    CHKSUM:
    64718 OK
    RTC:
    USBFAIL
    NOCON

Anyone care to help me interpret all this mess?
    Disc mode! That's always the answer!

And then just reformat it. That usually works.

Problem is, it was in disk mode already. I can't open Explorer with my iPod plugged in so that I might reformat it. Is there another way I don't know about?

Vi Monks on
  • MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    if you've been using it as a working harddrive, then you probably fried it

you're supposed to just put files on and off of it, but if you edit files and save them to your ipod it's definately cutting down on it's life expectancy.

Since yours is so old, I'm betting it's dead anyways.

MotherFirefly on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    if you've been using it as a working harddrive, then you probably fried it

you're supposed to just put files on and off of it, but if you edit files and save them to your ipod it's definately cutting down on it's life expectancy.

Since yours is so old, I'm betting it's dead anyways.

Well I haven't used it as a "working" hard drive per se, just using it to store text files and sometimes move files between computers when it was convenient.

To update, even though it was already in disk mode, I told it, through diagnostic mode, to enter disk mode and plugged it in. Opened My Computer and Explorer froze. Looks like all signs point to death.

On that unfortunate note, are cheaper, smaller iPods still available anywhere? I neither need nor have the cash to buy an 80gb with pictures and video and a petting zoo and whatever else is on them these days; so anyone know of some other, affordable options? I'm not an iPod zealot either so other mp3 players are fine by me. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Vi Monks on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If it's just the drive you can replace it or if you're really handy you can convert it to use flash cards instead.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    On that unfortunate note, are cheaper, smaller iPods still available anywhere? I neither need nor have the cash to buy an 80gb with pictures and video and a petting zoo and whatever else is on them these days; so anyone know of some other, affordable options? I'm not an iPod zealot either so other mp3 players are fine by me. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Well, the base-model iPods start at $249...30GB, still plays video. You should also check the refurb store on apple.com...they don't have any full-sized iPods now, but they do have some Nanos.

I don't recommend buying "used" online...Li-on batteries age regardless of use, and at least a refurb comes with some sort of warranty. Apple even offers Applecare for the refurbs.

Also, I don't know about where you live but I believe some stores around here carry refurbished iPods in-store...Hasting's comes to mind.

As for non-Apple players...*shrug* There are good ones, but I've had my iPod for years (it'll probably die soon, too) so I haven't had to try any out. Just make sure whatever you get will play all your music...especially if you've had iTunes ripping CD's in AAC.

mcdermott on