Options

I HEAR THE [CHAT] ECHOING TONIGHT

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    abd u should use your free healthcare and see a therapist also per haps it might help

what good is free healthcare if not to use it

Therapist for depression is something I've considered. I will get one the moment I feel myself slipping this semester.

This is something else. This is me being finally, after years, done with being told that I must do something. Everyone but you treats me like adults treat adults. Everyone but you.

So that's why I'm not going to stay and endure it - because of course I can't just say that I "can't take being here" and leave, can I? No, endure it a while longer, leave saying I'm bored here or something.

But I can do that so I am which is why my parents were in tears and I sit there with no expression.

I mean I've only just started going to one

But based on limited experience and also talking to people, I think it'd help regardless

Everything in your brain is linked together anyway, it's all a big swirl of thoughts and electricity

poo
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    abd u should use your free healthcare and see a therapist also per haps it might help

what good is free healthcare if not to use it

Therapist for depression is something I've considered. I will get one the moment I feel myself slipping this semester.

This is something else. This is me being finally, after years, done with being told that I must do something. Everyone but you treats me like adults treat adults. Everyone but you.

So that's why I'm not going to stay and endure it - because of course I can't just say that I "can't take being here" and leave, can I? No, endure it a while longer, leave saying I'm bored here or something.

But I can do that so I am which is why my parents were in tears and I sit there with no expression.

I thought your parents paid for your apartment and stuff

They own it.

I'm visiting them in Stavanger now. And I'm like, okay, I'm just going to leave tomorrow that's enough now. No point in staying and making sure I start school again in a shit mood.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Also um

I might have genocided a group of people.

hey

you know

that happens sometimes

FWIW I was not the first person to genocide.

That honor goes to whoever wiped out Germany.

well i mean if everyone else is doing it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    rockrnger wrote: »
    So basically, I told my parents that being with them is terrible for me and that this time I'm just going to not bother and leave, because I am finally, finally done with not liking the way I am treated and talked to. Instead of just enduring I am just leaving.

This is not a fun thing to hear as parents. Probably worse so when they think I'm right in what I am saying.

So now I have very very sad parents.
    Hey, plus side you are going to be on the water so you can get out of anything.

Oh, I can't make it there. I'm in the middle of the god damn North Sea.

no i'm going to be a bus ride away in Bergen where I live and study

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I went to four comedy shows today for free

I got to see David O'Doherty, Neal Brennan, Eddie Pepitone and some hit and miss Irish comedians

It was a good day

How was Pepitone?

hit and miss

he started off by insulting the comedian on before him, a prominant irish comedian who was acting the bollock and it was hilarious

then he did his heckling himself bit and some genuinely funny material about hats, which was great

after that it was a load of meandering "corporations are bad and I'm gonna yell about them" spliced with some stuff about Death Of A Salesman and some weird shit about mental illness which was just bleh. The type of material where people aren't laughing, but they clap at the end

I'd definitely go see him again but not for a while

I've also never seen more comics in the audience for a show

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Rise of Nations is p fun y'all.

Uhh, am I in college again?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    also it is just nice to have someone more or less objective to talk to
    who will be confidential

and is not just us random internet nerds in other countries

poo
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    going to see a therapist when you have an innate desire to please and an extreme level of inward focus is the most hilarious combination

but at least the therapists always leave feeling happy that i've made a big breakthrough, and they helped me get there

at the end of the day, isn't it really about them

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    fzl5I.jpg

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

They own it.

I'm visiting them in Stavanger now. And I'm like, okay, I'm just going to leave tomorrow that's enough now. No point in staying and making sure I start school again in a shit mood.

I find it hard to hang out with my parents for anything over a day or 2, also, but not for the same reasons

but if you are in some sense still financially dependent on your parents you see how that might play into the dynamic?

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    yeah opting to wait is a bad idea i think

unless it would put you in super dire financial straits, seems like a therapist (and potentially medication) is a no-brainer, given how much trouble you've had with stuff in the past

and also given how depression can often mask itself such that 'as soon as i notice a problem' is a tenuous benchmark

I've been doing real good lately. Vigilance, I guess I could call it, has paid off. Thinking about how I'm doing, taking action if I notice apathy sneaking in.

I can't confidently say I'll be able to keep un-depressed on my own but I am confident that it will not be able to mask itself. I know your face, depression. I know your smell.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    So basically, I told my parents that being with them is terrible for me and that this time I'm just going to not bother and leave, because I am finally, finally done with not liking the way I am treated and talked to. Instead of just enduring I am just leaving.

This is not a fun thing to hear as parents. Probably worse so when they think I'm right in what I am saying.

So now I have very very sad parents.
    Hey, plus side you are going to be on the water so you can get out of anything.

Oh, I can't make it there. I'm in the middle of the god damn North Sea.

no i'm going to be a bus ride away in Bergen where I live and study

Oh, so is that still a ways off?

• Options
    who will be confidential

I think the proper term here is talking at :P

ordering your thoughts like this is good

it's an easy way to do it, this

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Tarranon wrote: »
    going to see a therapist when you have an innate desire to please and an extreme level of inward focus is the most hilarious combination

but at least the therapists always leave feeling happy that i've made a big breakthrough, and they helped me get there

I went to a therapist for a little while for depressions

she made a comment at one point about how my life was actually pretty good

and so I stopped going to see her

like, no shit, I am here because I feel sad or unmotivated or overwhelmed or hopeless when my circumstances do not warrant it jesus christ

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Six hours until I go in front of a panel of examiners and attempt to justify my PhD research

if successful, party

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
    I had a car;
    Went down one, drove back,
    Went down the other.
    I went home and drank.

Gim on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

like, no shit, I am here because I feel sad or unmotivated or overwhelmed or hopeless when my circumstances do not warrant it jesus christ

well, skippy, it seems your problem is you're sad

have you tried not being sad?

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Six hours until I go in front of a panel of examiners and attempt to justify my PhD research

if successful, party

always remember the persuasive power of dance

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    cB557 wrote: »
    Alright, back from vacation!
    Elldren‌ Shivahn‌ I'm availble for Borderlands 2 again, just tell me where I need to grind to before the next game.

I don't think we played appreciably while you were gone, I'll have to check later.

• Options

that seems pretty not helpful
    the guy i started seeing seems good

poo
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

i think my problem is similar in that i want to deify this person? in order to feel like they can help me it seems like i'm inclined to imagine them as smarter than me, more insightful, more impartial etc

the reality of course is that they are a person who could be anywhere on the brightness spectrum and with any number of views that you find ridiculous- they're just trained in a thing like we all are in our passions or professions

so my view is not a mature one i guess but i haven't yet shaken it. the first time my therapist reveals themselves as having a goofy opinion or something i am like 'i could just pick an empathetic friend and they'd help me as much'

• Options
    who will be confidential

I think the proper term here is talking at :P

ordering your thoughts like this is good

it's an easy way to do it, this
    Yeah, I mean

I do the same as you have seen

Clearly

(Though recently I started writing more shit in a digital journal that is encrypted so I can organize my thoughts and rant and not seem like such a fucking bitchass whiner)

poo
  • Options
    edited July 2014

They own it.

I find it hard to hang out with my parents for anything over a day or 2, also, but not for the same reasons

but if you are in some sense still financially dependent on your parents you see how that might play into the dynamic?

A bit. We did talk about that - now they know how often I've been flat fucking broke eating plain rice and beans, if rice and beans was what I had, spending a week doing nothing except walk around, because there's not much else you can do with zero money, and thinking about having zero money, because there's not much else you can think about with zero money, until I cave and call and say I need money when the last can of beans is done

and how now, the only option is to work because sorry, I am very grateful for your help, but living on charity sucks.

But that's not really the main crux either - the problem right now is just, godamn it is so annoying actually being around you that I'm just going to go now

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

if successful, party

always remember the persuasive power of dance

I was planning on doing the running man through the literature review

• Options
    which they are now sad over

but I'm not sad that they're sad, as I'd usually be, since I am just thinking, you are sad because you make being here a ordeal, that's on you

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

They own it.

A bit. We did talk about that - now they know how often I've been flat fucking broke eating plain rice and beans, if rice and beans was what I had, spending a week doing nothing except walk around, because there's not much else you can do with zero money, and thinking about having zero money, because there's not much else you can think about with zero money, until I cave and call and say I need money when the last can of beans is done

and how now, the only option is to work because sorry, I am very grateful for your help, but living on charity sucks.

But that's not really the main crux either - the problem right now is just, godamn it is so annoying actually being around you that I'm just going to go now

i think what skippy is alluding to and what i too am wondering is are they gonna just keep paying the mortgage or whatever or letting you stay there

• Options
    so my view is not a mature one i guess but i haven't yet shaken it. the first time my therapist reveals themselves as having a goofy opinion or something i am like 'i could just pick an empathetic friend and they'd help me as much'

my friend is a social worker and he said to me one time that therapy is where you find it

so if you're able to get advice or help from a friend that helps you live a better life, that is every bit as good as a professional

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Totally blew my mind when I realized he was lying in the last stanza of that poem.

• Options

my friend is a social worker and he said to me one time that therapy is where you find it

so if you're able to get advice or help from a friend that helps you live a better life, that is every bit as good as a professional

...if you can

this probably doesn't apply to a lot of situations

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And thank Christ I had Google Maps or I'd have had no fucking clue where I was going

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

i think that, because of our circumstances, education levels, general personality types and etc we all have a much better understanding of what depression is, what distorted thinking is, we probably even know CBT techniques that we use when feeling down

but it's not everyone, and odds are someone has had to be told that the things we blame our depression on aren't always based in reality

but a good therapist should have been aware enough to know that a skippy knows what the deal is, and just needs help getting his thoughts straightened out

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    ooooookay done with that now

roadtrip tomorrow! been ages since I haven't travelled back to bergen via bus. Also the whole point of leaving way earlier than anyone expected and bothering to make my parents cry and all was to not be in a terrible, terrible mood so lingering on the annoyances is self-defeating.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

...if you can

chanus we need to get to the root of this negative thinking

lie down on this couch right now

• Options
    okay good now disrobe

• Options

...if you can

also take a hit of this

poo
  • Options

...if you can

i feel like i just got chris hansened

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular

...if you can

300px-Lucy-van-pelt-1-.jpg

• Options
    the roger rabbit

the cabbage patch

the locomotive

these and many more dances throughout my presentation on Japanese pop cultural studies

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    who will be confidential

im confidential and i could totes sort out ur life

trust me

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

They own it.

i think what skippy is alluding to and what i too am wondering is are they gonna just keep paying the mortgage or whatever or letting you stay there

Oh, of course. I'd be kinda fucked if I got chucked out now.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.