As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
DLC INCOMING! HEAD TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OP FOR MORE INFORMATION!
WELCOME TO
tLTZbjh.jpg

I refuse to explain what Mario Kart to anyone. There's a decent chance the series is older than YOU, the person reading this thread. Yes, that should make the rest of us feel very, very old. But seriously: google it if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

If you feeling nostalgic, then here is my disgustingly biased synopsis of each game in the series.
wBVFl2W.jpg
Super Mario Kart
SNES (Available on Wii/Wii U Virtual Console)

The game that kicked off a subgenre of racing games. Dazzle at those Mode 7 graphics! The original may be hard for some people to transition to, as it's more racer than throw-shit-at-people. You typically get one item per lap, and item blocks do not regenerate, and this means some neat stuff like hidden item blocks that are off the beaten path but may give you an edge...so long as you get to it first. Some people really prefer this to all others, but it really depends on what you're looking for in a Mario Kart game. Only goes to two-players, though.

Play It? I feel like everyone should give this one a spin. Holds up decently well.

9Tu1YPA.png
Mario Kart 64
1996/1997
N64 (Available on Wii Virtual Console)

Mario Kart 64 changed things. First, the game is in glorious 3D (with sprites for racers/items) which made for larger and more complex tracks. Items are now in the regenerating boxes that have been the standard ever since, and they are liberally peppered throughout the track instead of just at the start. It also introduced "holding" items, giving you a free item spot and allowing one to use shells and bananas as a shield. Also introduced the infamous mini-boost from turns, giving us sparks in a variety of colors. TThe game's battle mode seems to be held in higher regard than actual racing, due to the well-crafted arenas and items. Block Fort for life!

Play It? Mario Kart 64 defined a lot of the standards for the series, and I think that alone merits a play.

kCfon4X.jpg
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
GBA (Available on 3DS Virtual Console ONLY as part of the Ambassador program)

Super Circuit is like a weird fusion of the first two games: you got the Mode 7 style and features like coins, but you also have the more frequent items. A lot of people consider this to be a hidden gem of the series, with solid track design and a feel that satisfies die-hards of the first game. It's also the first game to feature "Retro" cups with tracks from older games (in this case they're all from Super Mario Kart), effectively doubling the track selection. Has four-player versus, but good luck finding three other people with copies of this AND link cables.

Play It? If you don't mind single-player Mario Kart, it's a weird blend that works.

oCUM5Yz.jpg
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Gamecube (Disc can be played on Wii)

Double Dash!! changed a lot of things to the series, but it also established the standards set by 64. You pick TWO racers now (the only game in the series to let you do this), and each can hold an item for use. However, unlike 64 you cannot "hold" an item behind you and a character can lose items if you take a hard hit. This is also where the Blue Shell become the devil incarnate, gaining the ability to fly and blowing up on impact. This is also the first game to feature Kart Selection with their own stats, and is unique for being the only game in the series to have character-specific items (Mario/Luigi have fireballs, Peach/Daisy have the heart, etc). The game also featured "co-op" play, allowing two players to one kart, with one driving and the other using items and both working together for mini-boosts.

Play It? My favorite in the series so far. I love the feel and item balance here, and it's not terribly difficult to get a copy even a decade later.

FmVa8kD.jpg?1
Mario Kart DS
Nintendo DS (Cart can be played on 3DS)

This game got a lot of praise for excellent track design, balanced items, and adding the much-awaited feature of online play. Formally adds the retro cups with a collection of tracks from every previous title in the series, and continues with selecting both characters and karts for stats. The game is rather infamous for "snaking," where mini-boosts could be used even on straight paths to gain a ton of speed. This effectively shattered the players into pro and anti snaking camps, and it made online a bit harder to get into since one game could feature people snaking and the other would have people clueless about the technique.

Play It? Considered one of the best in the series, I recommend it. However, official online multiplayer no longer works.

T1Xx7FW.png
Mario Kart Wii
Wii (Disc can be played on Wii U)

Wii continued the tradition of building on the previous entries, this adds 12 players to the races as opposed to the traditional eight, and allows players to perform simple tricks while in the air to gain a boost. Motorcycles are an option alongside karts, and they trade mini-boost power for the ability to pop a wheelie for boosted speed at the cost of steering. This proved to be fairly unbalanced, but at least snaking was formally squashed in this version with revamped mini-boost controls. Wii also had its own online version, making improvements over what the DS offered. Also introduced alternate motion controls to steer the kart, a feature that would continue to not be used by anyone in games after this.

Play It? Pretty dang bad. Twelve racers fucked with how players got items, so it meant a lot of lightning bolts, blue shells, and then horrible new items like the POW block that also affected every racer. Basically you got hit with a storm of unavoidable bullshit. An awful mess that is best forgotten. Also official online multiplayer has been discontinued.

zr4Xw3L.jpg
Mario Kart 7
3DS

Does not have Waluigi in the roster, and thus is the worst in the series Going to numbered sequels for the first ever just...because, I like to think of 7 as unfucking all the bullshit heaped on Mario Kart from the Wii version. Bikes are gone, and the gimmick now is that karts can go underwater or sprout a parachute and glide through the air. This opened some alternate paths in courses, and overall was a solid entry if not revolutionary compared to others. Oh, and you can steer with gyroscope controls (no you won't). Noteworthy for having really good online play, which is still available! Play it!

Play It? WHAT DID I JUST SAY?

hsX78aY.jpg
GP Series
2005, 2007, 2013
Arcades

Because I know one of you will bring it up to be a smartass: yes, there have been Mario Kart arcade titles, but they are not part of the main series. They have actually all gotten releases outside of Japan, but it's likely none of you have played these considering the arcade attendance of places like North America. They have mechanics, items, and characters unique to the series, including Pac-Man as a racer since Namco helped develop the games. If you pass by a local arcade one day, then maybe duck inside and see if they have one of these playing.

E8SnxfP.jpg

Number eight in the series, and the first to be in sweet high definition. This entry will run at a hot 60fps at 720p (30fps in split-screen multiplayer) and feature all the standard modes you love and hate. This also includes a slick online mode that will hopefully live up to the high bar Mario Kart 7 set, but no details just yet.

New Characters
  • The Kooplings (Seriously, all of them!)
  • Baby Rosalina (...)
  • Pink Gold Peach (oh, fuck off)
  • Link (DLC 1)
  • Tanooki Mario (DLC 1)
  • Cat Peach (DLC 1)
  • Villager (DLC 2)
  • Isabelle (DLC 2)
  • Dry Bowser (DLC 2)

Items this time are different. You cannot hold an item behind you or deploy it to free up an item spot, which means you cannot grab an item while something like the triple red shells are active. You still get the protection from triple shells and such, but you have to use them up to get a new item.

New Items
  • Boomerang Flower - Allows you to fire a boomerang three times. It goes out a moderate distance and then heads back towards you, hitting anyone during the trip.
  • Piranha Plant - Temporarily places a potted piranha plant in front of you kart, which intermittently lunges forward and bites. It will automatically home in on players within range of it, and each lunge will give you a small boost of speed regardless of whether or not the plant bit anything.
  • Crazy Eight - Gives you eight orbiting items. Looks like it can be anything from Starman to Coins.
  • Super Horn - Fires a soundwave in a modest radius around your kart, knocking out any nearby drivers and destroying any incoming shells or other item. Yes, even the blue shell.

Returning Items
  • Fake Item Block
  • Coin
  • Green Shell (and Triple)
  • Red Shell (and Triple)
  • Mushroom (and Triple, which orbit your kart)
  • Golden Mushroom
  • Banana (and Triple, which orbit kart instead of trailing)
  • Lightning
  • Starman
  • Fire Flower
  • Bullet Bill
  • Bob-omb
  • Blooper
  • and yes, the Spiny "Blue" Shell

Retro Tracks
  • Moo Moo Meadows (Wii)
  • Mario Circuit (GBA)
  • Cheap Cheap Beach (DS)
  • Toad's Turnpike (N64)
  • Dry Dry Desert (GCN)
  • Donut Plains 3 (SNES)
  • Royal Raceway (N64)
  • DK Jungle (3DS)
  • Wario Stadium (DS)
  • Sherbet Land (GCN)
  • Music Park (3DS)
  • Yoshi Valley (N64)
  • Tick Tock Clock (DS)
  • Pirahna Plant Slide (3DS)
  • Grumble Volcano (Wii)
  • Rainbow Road (N64)

SNES: 1 Track
N64: 4 Tracks
GBA: 1 Track
GCN: 2 Tracks
DS: 3 Tracks
Wii: 2 Tracks
3DS: 3 Tracks

Nuts and Bolts

So Mario Kart 8 is numbered for good reason, as it really builds on 7's air/land/sea stuff and throws anti-gravity into the mix. So there are plenty of opportunities for you to get a lot of air and glide for a short period, and likewise there are underwater sections in several tracks (and it seems like retro courses have been modified even more than in 7 to allow for this). The anti-gravity segments you've probably seen: going upside, sideways and all over. At first blush this seems like a gimmicky thing that doesn't really add much to the game. However, there are subtle mechanics at play that really change things up. Besides the BIG OBVIOUS anti-gravity set pieces on each track, there are subtle, optional areas where anti-gravity gives you more options. Sometimes you can ride on a wall to avoid a player with dangerous orbitals or maybe go underwater for extra coins. In other words, anti-gravity has had a major impact on track design, and people who had played it are really digging it.

There's smaller, but still relevant, things like bumping into another player during anti-gravity to earn a speed boost. Older features like tricks, mini-turbos, slipstream, coins and so on have been included to allow for maximum speed. Kart customization is back, and previews are saying it's bigger than ever with more pieces than 7. There's also the return of bikes, which are faster on turns but slower than karts on straightaways. Kart customization is back, with about 52 parts divvied up over three areas of your kart: body, wheels, and glider. These offer flexibility in how your kart/bike performs and some look rather nice.

The gamepad is more or less used like the second screen in 7 or DS, and you can use the gyroscope for steering if gimmicky controls turn your crank. I imagine pro controller and wiimote + nunchuck are compatible, and you can PROBABLY slap a wiimote in the Wii Wheel and play that way if you are just that dedicated for motion controls. Like Wii and 7, I'm sure you'll get a golden wheel slapped on your account if you suffer through enough matches with the motion controls. Oh, and no off-screen player for local versus. It's just four player split-screen. Don't ask me why they couldn't do something Sega did no problem with Sonic All-Star Racing.

Another new feature is the fourth engine class: 200cc. This will be available as free DLC, and promises to offer the fastest Mario Kart racing in the entire series.

DLC

Mario Kart has DLC! Like...real DLC with new content and stuff for you to buy. No, you are not hallucinating, although I too hear the choking rage of Hiroshi Yamauchi's dark spirit.

2Vo7Xlv.png
Mercedes-Benz "DLC"
Out Now!

This isn't so much DLC as it is a shameful advertising scheme, but it's three free vehicles based on Mercedes-Benz's line of vehicles. Just go online and download away if you feel like selling out.

qvC8nvi.png
qKhBk4z.png
The real DLC, you can also purchase both as a bundle for twelve bucks. If you get either DLC (or the bundle, it doesn't matter), then you get a bunch of new colors for Yoshi and Shy Guy right now! Hooray for new content!

Multiplayer

Check this spot for tournaments and other happenings!

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Thanks for sticking around, Rehab and ArcSyn! I only had a couple of races left to do when the tournament closed, but hopefully I'll be back at a earlier time next week.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    As an aside, I'm pretty much in love with the redesign for the N64 Rainbow Road. So pretty! And changing it to a 1 lap race makes it much more tolerable. Goodbye 6-7 minute races!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I will say it was nice to actually play a few races with a nearly packed house. Though I'm sure it wasn't that way for everyone.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Our room had 7 for a minute, but that was as high as it got.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    Thanks for sticking around, Rehab and ArcSyn! I only had a couple of races left to do when the tournament closed, but hopefully I'll be back at a earlier time next week.

Of course. I know that most people tend to leave earlier so I like to race longer when I can.

Those matches with several people had so many damn shells flying around. Good fun tonight!

NNID: Rehab0
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    My apologies (not really! :-P) to Maz for that shell hit in mid air, but this was my only first place and one of only a few good races. I got shelled so badly tonight. Once you got to sixth you were going to get hit over and over until you are 11th or 12th.
    Wii U - Mario Kart 8 - Sunshine Airport: http://youtu.be/VhbS3_J7UVw

Oh, I don't know how many people each lobby had, but ours went from 4-7 as the night went on, and I finished my races with 5 still in the room (I think it was 6 the race before). If the other lobby was similar, I would say keep shuffling off.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I didn't even know there was a gap here until I got knocked into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CX8ZHMJGKc

I had a almost full house for all my races tonight. But I got on right at start time.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I miss playing! I hope to play next Sunday. Moving into a new place so hope internet transfers ok!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Wow, that other lobby was really full.

At the end there I am only seeing Bowser and Yoshi as computer played racers.

Is Bobkins Rorus Raz? I missed something...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Is Bobkins Rorus Raz? I missed something...

Nah, he's just some other Waluigi obsessed weirdo

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Penny-Arcade G&T Sunday Drivers Week 8: Hell's Shells Results

ttf3erzxdxk0.png

zlCfzSORnZwewGX8tB
      zlCfzSORjqIRL7yP1k

bbvnccdq1rpa.png
      vbmfbu2aipvq.png
      5is6cxruwjsf.png

You can find some more granular information at this link.

Check out the highlights from this week's action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qGzMosF0So
      Wk 8 Highlights: 1 shell 2 shell red shell blue shell, nothing can stop Momis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-7Hfwnp44
      Wk 8 Highlights: Doug outruns an avalanche of shells to claim victory on Mt Wario!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8hBA4wdpzI
      Wk 8 Highlights: Absolute-0 escapes a jungle of shells to take the win!

Thanks to all who participated in today's races. See you again next SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
      Yay! Surprised I did so well, I guess I cheated by having played MK8 a whole bunch with some friends that came over yesterday.

That Morton combination is really good once you get going.

edited July 2014
      Heh, just watched the first highlight but I like the combination of Morton with that tough looking speed bike . . . and then a frilly parsol.

So close to the top three this week! Might not be able to make Week 9 because of where I will be next weekend but there is a chance I can join in.

Rehab on
    • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
      edited July 2014
      Does anyone know if it is possible for two people to use the same WiiU to play someone else via online play?

Kalkino on
      Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Kalkino wrote: »
      Does anyone know if it is possible for two people to use the same WiiU to play someone else via online play?

Yep, that's possible.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      Rehab wrote: »
      Heh, just watched the first highlight but I like the combination of Morton with that tough looking speed bike . . . and then a frilly parsol.

Artists.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »
      Kalkino wrote: »

Yep, that's possible.

Thanks!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      The mandatory de-shelling to supply the shells for Mario Karting was especially hard this week for the general Koopa Troopa population.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      One of these weeks I'm going to remember the earlier Sunday tournament as it's happening instead of when it's not happening.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      What is it with AI-Daisy being super better than the rest? Maybe I'm just seeing things.

Based on how well Metal Mario paired with the TriSpeeder, I'm thinking maybe if I drop down slightly to Donkey Kong to pick up some extra speed it might be a good combo. Looking at the stats, I could maybe go for Mr. Scooty with Donkey Kong, but then the speed drops again.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      The mandatory de-shelling to supply the shells for Mario Karting was especially hard this week for the general Koopa Troopa population.

Sooner or later they will have to start strongly considering the Para Troopa as a resource.

That de-winging process couldn't be any more bloody though.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      PLA wrote: »
      What is it with AI-Daisy being super better than the rest? Maybe I'm just seeing things.

I don't know about online play, but there's a rival system of sorts that who you pick influences who will be the biggest AI bastard.

There's a table on the Mario wiki but its not really explained more that.

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
      Hey guys, when's the earlier sunday tournament? I haven't been around for a while so an earlier one may be able to fit my EU timezone!

NNID: Quical
      STEAM: Quical
      Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
    • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
      That highlight selection somehow includes the two races where I came in 4th instead of at the back of the pack. You'd think I didn't do abysmally!

valar-moreshellus.png
      PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Quical wrote: »
      Hey guys, when's the earlier sunday tournament? I haven't been around for a while so an earlier one may be able to fit my EU timezone!

So if anyone is interested (I'd make font bigger but don't know how!) I made a new Tournament
      PA G&T Early GT
      6206-2230-3288
      Sundays 11:30AM EST to 2:30PM EST

Just kind of picked times in the early afternoon so we can change it to suit the most people.

Only 8 races, frantic mode, 150cc, normal CPUs, shuffling.

Note: I'm turning off shuffling for this one.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
        This was great. Just before the end I got a red shell and Mario (CPU) got a banana. Mario held it for so long then right at the end dropped it on the spinning gear(you can see it roll over) that's when I struck. /satisfying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8_P02yJUE&index=1&list=UU2yzlnbSIU5O3B3fkZF5oJg

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
        If we can ever get organized, we should have a large-ish PA group get together and face the online randoms. It'd be like a gang, but Nintendo appropriate. A biker gang, preferably.

Or maybe the teddy bear cart gang.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
        Scooty Squad.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
        Steam: TimIsOnSteam
        Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
        Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
        PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
      • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
        Bowser's Bruisers.

Donkey Kong Killas.

Morton's MoFos.

Steam | Twitch
        Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
        Some more highlights from Sunday:
        I didn't come in last!

Wait, what?!

Dead last...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
        edited July 2014
        Polls are now open for PA G&T SundayDrivers Week 9 tournament race settings. If you are planning to participate this Sunday, I highly encourage you to vote! I will be cutting off the votes at some arbitrary time on Saturday.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

CLICK HERE TO SEE CURRENT RESULTS

Check out current tournament standings and various stats here.

AbsoluteZero on
        cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        One day I will get my mushroom only tournament. But I don't think it'll be this week.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • HounHoun Registered User regular
        I am sad I missed last Sunday, but I was out with the wife, so I'm not THAT sad. Will probably miss this coming Sunday, too.

Enjoy it while it lasts...

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
        Is anyone going to be online tonight? I've yet to race online and the wife is working until 11, so I've got the time and the inclination.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
      • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
        Is anyone going to be online tonight? I've yet to race online and the wife is working until 11, so I've got the time and the inclination.

I'll probably try to get on between 9-10 PM CDT. Not sure now that lines up with you, but if you're on then I'm down for some races. Not sure if I'm friends with you or not though. NNID is "BigDookie" I think.

Steam | Twitch
        Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
      • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
        Big Dookie wrote: »

I'll probably try to get on between 9-10 PM CDT. Not sure now that lines up with you, but if you're on then I'm down for some races. Not sure if I'm friends with you or not though. NNID is "BigDookie" I think.

Works for me. I'll add you when I get home.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
      • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
        My last two McDonalds trips have been the Mario Visor instead of the toys, so I guess that promo is winding down. Oh well. I managed to get three toys out of five trips over the last month.

FU7kFbw.png
        Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
      • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
        So back on Mario Kart for the wii I really liked the flame Rider bike. It could handle anything in that game. But in mK8 the sports bikes seemingly cannot take some corners, like the zig/zag in Wario Race Track and a couple U turns on Dount Plains 3 and GBA Mario Circuit and the giant sharp turn at the end of the new Rainbow Road. Whenever I try these corners with the sports bikes I get a sharp turn followed by a wide turn resulting in going off the track/course. I've tried a couple different approaches to doing these corners on the sports bikes but all end up going way wide or i have to really really let off the gas and slow down to take it poorly.

How do you do these turns on the sports bike while maintaining speed?

This discussion has been closed.