As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    In Shy Guy Falls I can never land on the top cave section after the glide boost without landing in the grass. Always just glide to the lower road.

I can never avoid the grass in that top cave. I've simply given up on it. As Halos mentioned, it's probably better to stick to the low road and use a mushroom to take the shortcut. (It took me weeks to discover that shortcut. I couldn't beat the staff ghost and couldn't figure out why until I watched it.)
    You can still take the shortcut even with going into the top cave. It can be faster only because you get a speed boost jumping off the ledge to get back down below.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I just feel bad when drivers drop down in front of me when I don't have a mushroom to take the shortcut.

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    That reminds me that I'm always very wary of taking the shortcuts in Thwomp Ruins and Cloudtop Cruise because 2 times out of 3, I completely miss and fall off. So I do not take the shortcut and I take the wager that most people will either choose not to take it or fall off if they do take it. Of course, you always have a couple of pros who never fall and take the shortcut every time, but 2nd place is better than 5th or 6th because you fell off.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    Which reminds me... @Halos Nach Tariff‌, you are wicked: you placed a banana peel on the Cloudtop Cruise shortcut when we raced last Sunday. (That's a brilliant strategy!)

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty bad at most shortcuts, but I can never do the one on Cloudtop Cruise at the end.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    you placed a banana peel on the Cloudtop Cruise shortcut when we raced last Sunday. (That's a brilliant strategy!)

That was a thing that I recall people doing all the time playing Mario Kart 64 on Koopa Troopa Beach too. When I played with friends that ramp pointed at the waterfall that led to the cave shortcut tended to get littered with banana peels.

Fake item boxes were even worse given the sheer amount of space they took up. I bet that people would have been real bastards with that item had it made an appearance in this game!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Fake Item Boxes are one of those things I was both elated and a little disappointed to see disappear from MK8.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Fake Item Boxes ALWAYS get dropped on top of real Item Boxes. There is no other course of action.

I have mixed feelings about fake item boxes missing from Mark Kart 8 as well.

The sheer amount of speed you get in 150cc would have made it really hard to gauge the validity of an item box in time. It was also an item that really shined in battle mode and well, no one really gives a shit about that in this game for good reason.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Staff ghosts are easy? I think I've beaten 3 or 4 of them... :(

Time trials are where low acceleration and top speed excel, since you're not getting hit by anything, you just gotta cruise the whole track at top speed. The ghosts take a different route each lap when possible, so they sometimes take a shorcut, and sometimes a longer route. So if you consistently take the shortest route, you're pretty much guaranteed to win!

Online ghosts though, I have no idea how they can be so fast. I'll feel like I did an amazing run, and bam, the fastest online ghost is 10 seconds ahead.

Satsumomo on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Fake Item Boxes are one of those things I was both elated and a little disappointed to see disappear from MK8.

Back when MK7 came out I was disappointed they were gone, so I've gotten used to them not being in MK8.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Back when MK7 came out I was disappointed they were gone, so I've gotten used to them not being in MK8.

I do miss them.

I also kind of miss giant mushrooms. Is that weird?

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty bad at most shortcuts, but I can never do the one on Cloudtop Cruise at the end.

Turn into the leaves without powersliding, you have so much more control that way, and you can align yourself easily. Well that's what happened with me, I always tried to powerslide into them and I'd always fall off.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Which reminds me... @Halos Nach Tariff‌, you are wicked: you placed a banana peel on the Cloudtop Cruise shortcut when we raced last Sunday. (That's a brilliant strategy!)

Hah, yes that's a force of habit from trying to catch out the cpu racers on the higher difficulties, there are always some which will take the shortcuts everytime it seems and they can't really dodge on the leaves.

Also I am cruelly vindictive, but that goes without saying.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Turn into the leaves without powersliding, you have so much more control that way, and you can align yourself easily. Well that's what happened with me, I always tried to powerslide into them and I'd always fall off.

What I've found works for me and my sexy motion controls (I will pimp these with every comment!) is that I powerslide into that shortcut, but release just before you jump onto the leave. It takes some practice but you just have to make sure you're straight and it makes the short cut very easy.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      I have to admit, I feel a little pang of jealousy every time I see that gold steering wheel.

What does it take to get that? I've kind of run out of things to do in single player and that might be a good challenge.

Steam | Twitch
      Just three stared everything! YAHOO!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Staff ghosts are easy? I think I've beaten 3 or 4 of them... :(

Try the Grumble Volcano one.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      edited August 2014
      Other tough ones include Dry Dry Desert and Rainbow Road.

The Rainbow Road staff ghost isn't necessarily that hard once you know the shortcut, but doing a perfect run without flying off the road is tricky given the speed you have going into laps 2 and 3.

Edit: Damn, that Grumble Volcano one was tough! Got lucky and cleared it on my second try but the ghosts time was 2:18:305 and mine was 2:18:180.

Rehab on
      edited August 2014
      Who's ready to get their ass run over tomorrow?! YEAAAAAAAAAAAA

TimFiji on
      • HounHoun Registered User regular
        Rehab wrote: »

The Rainbow Road staff ghost isn't necessarily that hard once you know the shortcut, but doing a perfect run without flying off the road is tricky given the speed you have going into laps 2 and 3.

Edit: Damn, that Grumble Volcano one was tough! Got lucky and cleared it on my second try but the ghosts time was 2:18:305 and mine was 2:18:180.

Dolphin Shoals was surprisingly difficult; I had to craft up a special kart combo built for underwater speed to beat it.

• ConnConn Registered User regular
        Houn wrote: »
        Rehab wrote: »

Dolphin Shoals was surprisingly difficult; I had to craft up a special kart combo built for underwater speed to beat it.

By changing my kart to an underwater speed build, I improved on my old record by 8 seconds.

That is some kinda shit.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
      • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
        What is the code for the torny?

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
      • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
        PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Week 9

START YOUR ENGINES! Week 9 races begin SUNDAY August 3rd from 6 PM to 8 PM CST (7 PM to 9 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 6 PM Pacific). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Based on this week's poll results, here are the race settings:

zlCfzSQDeSYUHxUi5Q

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 6987-9166-8350. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

Finally -- There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 2 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. We are using Frantic Mode item settings this week. CPU opponents have been activated at Normal difficulty. This will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

As always this tournament is open to future changes -- There is a weekly poll for everyone to vote on basic race settings. If you would like to see changes that are not available via the poll, please post your suggestions in this thread.

See you on the track!!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        In-laws are coming in tomorrow, so I'll probably not be able to join in this week unfortunately. Next week though, I will return with a vengeance.

Steam | Twitch
      • pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
        Hey so I just picked this up and I'm loving it as I knew I would. I would love to get down on some online multiplayer. Would probably have to bring along my 6 year old son since he loves it too. Not sure how friending on WiiU works but my Nintendo ID is same as my forum name, pawa24.

TimFiji wrote: »

So if anyone is interested (I'd make font bigger but don't know how!) I made a new Tournament
        PA G&T Early GT
        6206-2230-3288
        Sundays 11:30AM EST to 2:30PM EST

Just kind of picked times in the early afternoon so we can change it to suit the most people.

Only 8 races, frantic mode, 150cc, normal CPUs, shuffling.

Note: I'm turning off shuffling for this one.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
          pawa24 wrote: »
          Hey so I just picked this up and I'm loving it as I knew I would. I would love to get down on some online multiplayer. Would probably have to bring along my 6 year old son since he loves it too. Not sure how friending on WiiU works but my Nintendo ID is same as my forum name, pawa24.

Pop into miiverse and search for all of us folks in the OP and start sending requests!

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

I won't be able to make it to the tournament tonight. Celebrating my mom's 60th birthday, so that's a good reason to break my attendance streak.

And I may or may not be able to make the early tournament. I have to mow the lawn and grab lunch first.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
          I did some extensive polling this morning with the help of MK8 and have some conclusive results.

Harry from the Netherlands, you're the biggest asshole on the planet. That is all.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
          So I finally remember the early tournament and... it seem I'm the only one there?

Unfortunate.

The early tournament is on! Join in if you're free. I'll be there for an hour or so.

The early tournament is on! Join in if you're free. I'll be there for an hour or so.

I got all my races in already, but I'll try to jump in a little later if you guys are still going.

Steam | Twitch
        • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
          Eight races on and I'm feeling pretty good about my results.

Anyway, I'll be hanging out for a bit longer, using my favourite, but less than optimal, drivers and machines.

Who was I racing against at the very beginning of the tournament today? It was just me and and her for all 8 of our races, and she was absolutely killing me. They were some good races though.

Steam | Twitch
        • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
          That was me, although you got me good in a few of them if I recall.

@Halos Nach Tariff‌ is a machine. I'd love to see a Conn/Halos duel!

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
          Got to deep clean the ol' homestead. I'll be up for the later tournament.

That was me, although you got me good in a few of them if I recall.

Yeah, I think I got lucky on a couple races. Overall though, you were tearing it up. I agree with pm, you and Conn would a match for the ages.

Steam | Twitch
          Thanks to everyone I raced against in the early tournament. I think I may have found my new character/vehicle setup. The real test will be when I rejoin the Sunday evening tournament next week.

This discussion has been closed.