As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    “Ash vs Evil Dead”: Titles and Synopses For Nearly the Entire Season!
    Usually episode titles are revealed throughout the running season, but thanks to Encore we have 9 of the 10 titles and synopses from Starz’s debut season of “Ash vs Evil Dead”, set to premiere on October 31st.

Spoilers ahead, obviously, for those that can't wait.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Personally, I can wait.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    New Army of Darkness 3-disc Blu-Ray coming October 27 (or two weeks earlier if you order from the official website).

New interviews and special features, the original version, the Director's Cut version, and the international version.

I wonder if they've cleaned up some of the special effects. A lot of things are cheesy and obvious like the greenscreening on the mini-Ashes, which might well be improved upon, but the things like stop-motion skeletons I like cheesy.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Stop-motion skellies are classic. You don't go to Ray Harryhausen and go, "your skeletons are cheesy. I want the Argonauts to fight quickly-outdated CGI creatures."

• Options
    Lots of things are just better with a layer of oozy, gooey cheese.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I don't think they're doing any gaffe fixing/special effects "updating". The remastering between the 4 versions is going to be wildly different: the U.S. Theatrical master was provided by Universal and probably isn't going to be that different than the prior Blu release, they couldn't find all the film elements for the DC, so they couldn't do a full new remaster for it (still should be HD, just from an older master), the IC is the only one they could do a full brand new remaster, so it's possible it may look the best (depending on how good a job Shout does with it), and the TV version is going to be Standard Definition.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    for the record, Shout Factory has done really really well with it's recent Power Rangers stuff. They released the first 20 years of Power Rangers and a few seasons of the Sentai they came from, and the ones from 20 years ago look really good on the DVD. Now, that's not BluRay, but I have high hopes.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Only four days until this premieres. I know I'm planning on handing out candy to kids and settling in to watch this.

• Options
    Does STARZ have any sort of web-only streaming service yet, or are they still bound by the shackles of the dread cable companies?

This question is on-topic.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Does STARZ have any sort of web-only streaming service yet, or are they still bound by the shackles of the dread cable companies?

https://www.starzplay.com

Apparently the first four minutes are available to watch now!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options

You still need a cable provider to register there, apparently.

• Options

You still need a cable provider to register there, apparently.

Oh, sorry. I'm going to call Friday and see if I can upgrade my plan with a subscription to just this one service without adding basic cable. I have Suddenlink, so who knows.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hot damn. I needed some good news this week.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    That's pretty cool. I can't wait to see this. Although Halloween night I'm getting to see Evil Dead: The Musical which should be pretty great.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. I can't wait to see this. Although Halloween night I'm getting to see Evil Dead: The Musical which should be pretty great.

I saw that years ago. It is indeed hilarious. I hope you got seats in the splatter zone!

sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

That either means it's damn good or really cheap to make. With Raimi, it could be both.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    What digital options exist for watching this? I usually use Amazon but it's not there.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »
    What digital options exist for watching this? I usually use Amazon but it's not there.
    Not out yet, not sure we know.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Next, they should do Ash vs Brisco County Jr.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

As far as I know, it will be on Starz's proprietary online service, which you can only use if you have a cable subscription.

• Options

As far as I know, it will be on Starz's proprietary online service, which you can only use if you have a cable subscription.

I don't have cable... So I guess I'm checking out of this thread.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

For what it's worth I'm sure you could still buy the episodes through Amazon or iTunes. Probably for about the same price as a starz subscription.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

For what it's worth I'm sure you could still buy the episodes through Amazon or iTunes. Probably for about the same price as a starz subscription.

Yeah, that's what I usually do - but it's not on Amazon right now, not even for pre-ordering the full season. I guess we'll see next week, but doesn't look like is going to be on Amazon until later.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Next, they should do Ash vs Brisco County Jr.

Brisco has Ash on the ropes until they realize it's all a misunderstanding. Then they team up to take on John Bly's Evil Dead.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I think it's on now.

Ash put on a girdle and drank some Hi-C Boppin' Berry.

• Options
    The angelic choir that played when the chainsaw was unveiled was perfect.

• Options
    The AV Club gave it an A-, which is pretty fantastic for a pilot.

I'm going to watch it tonight, while handing out candy.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I lost interest after the wholly unnecessary bathroom sex scene. Also find it odd Ash has a wooden hand when he was able to craft a fully functional prosthetic in medieval times.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I lost interest after the wholly unnecessary bathroom sex scene. Also find it odd Ash has a wooden hand when he was able to craft a fully functional prosthetic in medieval times.

oh well thanks for sticking with it for longer than ten minutes

• Options
    They don't have the rights to Army of Darkness so they changed a few superficial details

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for being a dick on the internet.

I watched the whole episode. If you cut out everything except the bits with the cop that killed her partner after turning deadite and is now under investigation for homicide, that would be a pretty good show. Everything with Ash seemed off character and off putting. He seemed like a parody of himself. It really clashed with Army of Darkness that was on right before the premiere.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    They don't have the rights to Army of Darkness so they changed a few superficial details

Wait what? That's kinda lame. The story doesn't pick up from there?

• Options

It basically does! It's just that they can't specifically reference the events of that movie.

I know, I wish they could just do whatever they want but we're lucky we got this show at all, much less as high-quality as it allegedly is.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

It basically does! It's just that they can't specifically reference the events of that movie.

I know, I wish they could just do whatever they want but we're lucky we got this show at all, much less as high-quality as it allegedly is.

I honestly do not feel to upset about that. Like Army of Darkness was great and all.

but it's not making or breaking the lore. Nor does it negate them from going "bam! portal to another world" at the end of season 1.

• Options
    Everything with Ash seemed off character and off putting.

I disagree. Once he picked up his shotgun, Ash was as confident and badass and dorky as he ever was. He even delivered a one-liner before giving a deadite both barrels to the back of the head.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Finally watched this. It was everything I wanted!

I used to watch Evil Dead with my cousin all through our teens, this was that, all over again.

• Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    Really liked the first episode. The bathroom sex scene felt a little out of place but I laughed. I'm not sure where they are going with the cop but I liked her scenes. The supporting characters weren't great but good enough. Ash was Ash which was groovy.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Turns out this show was a pretty good way to kick off a Halloween party.

• Options
    Really liked the first episode. The bathroom sex scene felt a little out of place but I laughed. I'm not sure where they are going with the cop but I liked her scenes. The supporting characters weren't great but good enough. Ash was Ash which was groovy.

I think it's just meant to be super duper disturbing.

and also afterwards just sort of like "oh damn now I haven't had a girl turn her head 360 degrees on me before but I have had incidences where I do not feel up to continuing after"

and the look on his face is just priceless.