As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was an episode. I assumed all TV shows took a Christmas break.

this is the sweetest news i've ever heard.

Luckily, Starz airs reruns 50 times a week.
    I'm watching it now.

• Options
    "That didn't work."

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Dead doesn't rest for Christmas.

Now I want to see an Ash Vs Evil Dead Christmas episode.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dead doesn't rest for Christmas.

Now I want to see an Ash Vs Evil Dead Christmas episode.

Deadite Santa? Or Santa bringing Ash a new shotgun/chainsaw combo weapon?
    Just curious how you'd go with it.

Oooh, both maybe? Deadite Santa shows up and beats the hell out of Ash and friends for a while, then real Santa (with a prosthetic hand matching Ash) drops down the chimney to toss Ash a shiny new shotgun to gun down Deadite Santa. Implication that at some point Santa had the Necronomicon and had his hand possessed by evil too.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Excellent use of music this last week.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Ouch. What an ending. This weeks episode is 40 minutes and it needed pretty much all of it.
    So Ash taking the deal makes sense, if he doesn't the immediate future is that at least Pablo is going to die, and they've done well-ish to establish that Ash is terrified of losing anyone else he cares about (I don't include the weird Fisher romance in that part). They went full horror with the episode too. But now the world is screwed big time.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I liked the finale, some excellent scenes, but
    What's the deal with Ruby?

I think the "Ruby Knowby" story is legit and she's a real person that's been possessed by an ancient demon.

It does explain why she has the knife and Ash's hand but not the book- the real Ruby went back to the cabin after Evil Dead 2, got possessed, took the knife from Annie Knowby's corpse and Ash's hand from the cabin.

It doesn't explain her human attributes, though. She held romantic intention toward Fisher, and was genuinely saddened when she saw she was a Deadite.

I'm curious if it's more of a symbiotic possession with the real "Ruby" somewhere in there tempering the demon's actions. She's the only "Deadite" we've seen that isn't outwardly sadistic at all times.

That aside Delorenzo really stood out in the episode, both in her acting and how much her character actually got to do. Interesting reversal in that Pablo was the damsel in distress and that she's the one coming to the rescue. You can tell that the actress is being groomed.

I think we all knew
    that the blonde was toast, especially with how her character was written. I expected her to get possessed and attack the group, so it was nice that they didn't go that route. For a little bit while she was getting pummeled I wondered if she would stand up for herself and become part of the group... that didn't happen. The nails were totes a reference to the Evil Dead remake.

And finally "Someone needs to wash your mouth out kid..."

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I have to say about the ending...

It was and Ash kind of ending. Like totally in character for him to go that route.
    He is both stupid enough and loves Pablo and Kelly enough that he considers them worth saving over the rest of the world.

Classic Ash. Classic Bill Campbell.

Can't wait for season 2.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    RE: Blond girl
    Yeah, I think I knew for certain that she was toast when she asked if she was included in people Ash didn't want to see get killed and his response was "ummm.... Yeah, sure. Just stick close to her.".

I mean, I'm pretty sure we were all about 96% sure last week about 15 seconds after she was introduced, but that just sealed the deal that there wasn't going to be a fourth musketeer in the party.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I realize they need to bait us for Season 2, but that was a really anticlimactic and disappointing ending.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    RE: Blond girl
    Yeah, I think I knew for certain that she was toast when she asked if she was included in people Ash didn't want to see get killed and his response was "ummm.... Yeah, sure. Just stick close to her.".

I mean, I'm pretty sure we were all about 96% sure last week about 15 seconds after she was introduced, but that just sealed the deal that there wasn't going to be a fourth musketeer in the party.

She also said out loud
    that she had a promising future as a dental hygienist. That's a jinx as bad as being two days from retirement in an 80s buddy cop movie.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I think the "Ruby Knowby" story is legit and she's a real person that's been possessed by an ancient demon.

It does explain why she has the knife and Ash's hand but not the book- the real Ruby went back to the cabin after Evil Dead 2, got possessed, took the knife from Annie Knowby's corpse and Ash's hand from the cabin.

It doesn't explain her human attributes, though. She held romantic intention toward Fisher, and was genuinely saddened when she saw she was a Deadite.

I'm curious if it's more of a symbiotic possession with the real "Ruby" somewhere in there tempering the demon's actions. She's the only "Deadite" we've seen that isn't outwardly sadistic at all times.

That aside Delorenzo really stood out in the episode, both in her acting and how much her character actually got to do. Interesting reversal in that Pablo was the damsel in distress and that she's the one coming to the rescue. You can tell that the actress is being groomed.

I think we all knew
    that the blonde was toast, especially with how her character was written. I expected her to get possessed and attack the group, so it was nice that they didn't go that route. For a little bit while she was getting pummeled I wondered if she would stand up for herself and become part of the group... that didn't happen. The nails were totes a reference to the Evil Dead remake.

Re. Ruby
    Didn't one of the earlier episodes mention that the 'Dark Ones' who wrote the Necronomicon were only part demon, and presumably therefore part human? Could be whatever this Ruby being is genuinely has her own ideas about steering humanity to greatness, instead of just causing havoc like demons and deadites.

So far it seems there's a distinction between deadites (the Evil Dead, humans who died and then came back to life as evil spirits) and true demons like Eligos, so there's probably all kinds of other monsters and creatures that can be called by the Necromnicon - I guess those Dark Children are some, maybe they're a new generation of Dark Ones.

This is the element of the show I like the most, it's like those Army of Darkness comics that Dynamite Publishing did - they grow the mythos of the series of give you more to chew on. There were a few AoD comics that had Ash cross paths with Herbert West, the Re-Animator, and included a bunch of Cthluhu Mythos monsters who all looked down with contempt on the deadites.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Was Ash calling Pablo "Pedro" scripted, or a Bruce Campbell flub they left in? Either way, pretty funny.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Was anyone else terrified by the tiny children by the way?

or am i special kind of wuss?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Was anyone else terrified by the tiny children by the way?

or am i special kind of wuss?

I felt an urge to do what Ash did and poke them in their weird eyes.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I think we all knew

Re. Ruby
    Didn't one of the earlier episodes mention that the 'Dark Ones' who wrote the Necronomicon were only part demon, and presumably therefore part human? Could be whatever this Ruby being is genuinely has her own ideas about steering humanity to greatness, instead of just causing havoc like demons and deadites.

So far it seems there's a distinction between deadites (the Evil Dead, humans who died and then came back to life as evil spirits) and true demons like Eligos, so there's probably all kinds of other monsters and creatures that can be called by the Necromnicon - I guess those Dark Children are some, maybe they're a new generation of Dark Ones.

This is the element of the show I like the most, it's like those Army of Darkness comics that Dynamite Publishing did - they grow the mythos of the series of give you more to chew on. There were a few AoD comics that had Ash cross paths with Herbert West, the Re-Animator, and included a bunch of Cthluhu Mythos monsters who all looked down with contempt on the deadites.

Hmmm, I don't remember. I should look into that, it was from the episode with the bookstore I think...

Yep, you're right, the Dark Ones aren't fully demonic-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkIhHfEw0iA

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    I realize they need to bait us for Season 2, but that was a really anticlimactic and disappointing ending.

It would have been nice to conclude the story arc, but really the only way for that to happen was for
    Ash to kill Ruby and bury the book, and then there's no reason to have a show anymore. And as has been pointed out already, it's totally in character for Ash to take a deal he doesn't fully understand the consequences of. He's a "short-term now, worry about the long-term later when it happens" guy.

I would have been more upset if Ash had killed Ruby, buried the Necronomicon and somehow nothing happened and evil kept coming.

Finally, it can't be understated how much of a miracle it is that the three of them left the cabin alive. That's an unprecedented number of survivors.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder if they had to rewrite the ending when Starz re-upped them for another season. Pretty decent ending if that's the case.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

It would have been nice to conclude the story arc, but really the only way for that to happen was for
    Ash to kill Ruby and bury the book, and then there's no reason to have a show anymore. And as has been pointed out already, it's totally in character for Ash to take a deal he doesn't fully understand the consequences of. He's a "short-term now, worry about the long-term later when it happens" guy.

I would have been more upset if Ash had killed Ruby, buried the Necronomicon and somehow nothing happened and evil kept coming.

Finally, it can't be understated how much of a miracle it is that the three of them left the cabin alive. That's an unprecedented number of survivors.

although when you think about it. the cabin still killed 3 people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016

although when you think about it. the cabin still killed 3 people.

Yeah I'm just saying in terms of both raw number and percentage of total cabin visitors surviving, it was a very anomalous trip.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is this going to come out on disc?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

There hasn't been official word on it but I think you can pretty well guarantee it does

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

I dunno, man.
    I think Ash burying the book because his lizard told him to while he was on a drug trip and then finding out that it did Jack and shit (and Jack left town) to stop Evil would be pretty appropriate.

Because seriously, why the fuck would burying it do anything? Evil just gonna dig it back up!

• Options
    Eh, I got what I wanted out of this show. It was never meant to be a narrative masterpiece. It was meant to be a hilarious and occasionally nightmarish romp so we could eat popcorn and watch buckets of comedy gore get poured over Bruce Campbell, and by that measure the show was a fantastic success. It was one of the most enjoyable shows of 2015 for me.

Sometimes it's nice to shut the brain off and be entertained by something that's admittedly imperfect.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

VHS only. The way it was meant to be watched.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I thought the ending was spectacularly in keeping with Ash's character. Even if there wasn't going to be a second season, I would have felt that to be appropriate.

In fact the entire last episode was solid gold, as far as I'm concerned, which was great to see, because I had been really cooling off in my appreciation for this show as the season went on and things started to get a little shaky.

• Options
    The finale was a crazy ride for sure. I wish every episode was that length, it really helped the pacing and tension.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    The finale was a crazy ride for sure. I wish every episode was that length, it really helped the pacing and tension.

Which is why even though I enjoyed the show I think it will work better binge watching it again later.

Overall, got what I came for. The show was fun, funny, gory, goofy, and a bit scary. Will tune in next season.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I have to say, the pilot was good. Then it went down in quality, as it became clear that all the season's best jokes were in the trailer. By episode 8 I was ready to quit. But I figured, two more episodes, why not just finish it?

And boy am I glad I did. Those last two episodes were gold.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I think the inconsistency is largely due to the constantly-changing directors. Which, you know, this isn't the first show to do that or anything, but I feel like they all had very different ideas about the way to direct it.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Watched Evil Dead 2 for fun last night - in the scene where the Knowby's find the Necronomicon there IS a knife that looks just like Ruby's next to the book.

Also the Knowby Son is incredibly Nordic.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The Nordic dude is called Ed Getley. He's Annie Knowby's colleague; no relation.

Pretty sure the dagger is in Evil Dead 1 too; Ash's Hand uses it to finish off Annie Knowby when she's reading from the book at the end of part 2.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I'm glad we're getting a second season, but I didn't think the ending for this one was particularly good.
    Ash just letting Ruby go seemed particularly stupid, even for him.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I'm glad we're getting a second season, but I didn't think the ending for this one was particularly good.
    Ash just letting Ruby go seemed particularly stupid, even for him.

Doing stupid stuff is pretty much in character for Ash :P

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    When was Ash ever smart?

I mean, aside from making gunpowder and advanced machines using nothing but some tools, lab equipment and a chemistry book.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The Chin once did an interview where he said that Ash was a good short-term thinker (resourcefulness), but a bad long-term thinker (everything else.)

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The Chin once did an interview where he said that Ash was a good short-term thinker (resourcefulness), but a bad long-term thinker (everything else.)

This makes sense when you realize he never made himself a hand in all these years, but the scoobies did it for him. The chainsaw was an 'in the moment need'. Money for a hand can buy a lot of weed and beer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I haven't been posting (or keeping up with posts) here super well because I have a habit of letting these build up on the old DVR, but I'll be damned if this wasn't one of my favorite shows of this last season. As everyone noted, the first episode was bolstered a lot by Raimi directing it and establishing the tone, but I think it regained its footing a little sooner than some other people. I was all in after the first episode, and I started getting really into it after the fourth or so episode.

I finished up the season last night, and I was thinking this morning about how nice it was to see Pablo and Kelly really come into their own as part of the gang. Kelly especially goes from suspicious and reactive to bad ass somewhere around the time she gets the assault rifle, and you could really see that aspect of her personality bloom in this last episode. Also as someone noted they cranked up the horror in the last episode. Just a fantastic way to wrap up the season (absent any of the decisions Ash made, heh).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I definitely hope Raimi directs another episode next season. Bruce was aware that a few episodes weren't up to snuff as they were trying to find the right directors. Maybe I can find the interview where he says as much.

Really helps when the creators can recognize when the production/direction isn't up to snuff. And have every intention and means to ensure that mistake isn't made again.

Season 2 should be a full blown blast.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo