As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The idea of "earning" to be the hero is the weirdest/creepiest shit I've heard in a while.

Why?

Deus ex machina is a thing that people haven't been hugely fans of for a long, long time.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    The idea of "earning" to be the hero is the weirdest/creepiest shit I've heard in a while.

How? In a narrative, things like that have to be earned for it to have any impact. Its the reason you can't build up a character and then kill them in a way that doesn't progress the plot even more. Even Game of Thrones follows that.

You can't build up a plot and then cut it off without resolution, just like you can't have a payoff without any actual buildup.

The Evil Dead remake has zero buildup to deserve the "hero" getting to wield the chainsaw ala Ash. It was meant to reflect Ash, and the character did not in any way earn (with the audience) the right to be likened to Ash.

So you say. But I don't fetishize The Wielder of the Holy Chainsaw like you apparently do. We all love Ash, but, let's face it, he was a bit of an Ash-hole in ED2, which is where most of our love comes from originally. He was the hero of that movie because he was the survivor of ED1 and Bruce Campbell, and basically no other reason.

Since the survivor of the remake is not Bruce Campbell, I would postulate that it is pointless to rank the character on a scale of one to Bruce Campbell, which is what we seem to be doing.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Well, Campbell is also basically the king of one-liners, which goes a long way towards gaining adoration from audiences.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

How? In a narrative, things like that have to be earned for it to have any impact. Its the reason you can't build up a character and then kill them in a way that doesn't progress the plot even more. Even Game of Thrones follows that.

You can't build up a plot and then cut it off without resolution, just like you can't have a payoff without any actual buildup.

The Evil Dead remake has zero buildup to deserve the "hero" getting to wield the chainsaw ala Ash. It was meant to reflect Ash, and the character did not in any way earn (with the audience) the right to be likened to Ash.

I don't agree that anything has to be earned.

steam_sig.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

So you'd be totally cool if, say, during a story about Robin Hood, Robin dies in the 2nd to last chapter and some schmuck named Jeff is the one to defeat the Sheriff and marry Marian? Bull.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014

So you'd be totally cool if, say, during a story about Robin Hood, Robin dies in the 2nd to last chapter and some schmuck named Jeff is the one to defeat the Sheriff and marry Marian? Bull.

If it's well told, sure.

In fact a story where Little John or Will Scarlett takes up his mantle to defeat the Sheriff, maybe even keeping his death a secret and taking up the mantle could be a pretty compeling version.

Edit: ooh, in fact screw the named characters idea. The peasant population is so inspired by Robin, they rise up with some random guy taking the mantle. Don't even show his face or mention his name.

Only works for the defeating the Sheriff part. Marion gets to do her own thing.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Jeff is played by Bruce Campbell and turns out to be a mildly amnesiatic Autolycus who got lost in time after a really groovy bender.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Yes that is what I am saying. Life isn't fair and wild things happen all of the time.

steam_sig.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    are you motherfuckers arguing about the -logic- of The Evil Dead?

because if you are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9Fa2UrDAk

Trace wrote: »
    are you motherfuckers arguing about the -logic- of The Evil Dead?

because if you are

Cut it out.

We're more discussing the narrative merits of "earning" the "right" to be the survivor (called "hero," though they pretty much never save anybody else) of a horror movie. Some believe that you have to do it. Others believe that surviving a horror movie is surviving a horror movie and that's all that's required.

And there's some weird fetishization of Ash, but I guess that's understandable, to a degree, since everybody loves Bruce Motherfucking Campbell.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Ash is great because he is the anti-horror-movie-survivior. He started out as scared as everyone else in the cabin, but when push came to shove, he strapped on a chainsaw and said "Come get some!"

kyrcl.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Only after cutting his hand off.

That hand was asking for it.

kyrcl.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I bet that hand doesn't even wash itself after using the restroom.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

FUNNY THING
    Remake Ash nuts up after SHE loses her hand/ARM.

COINCIDENCE!?

Earning the right to be the hero is dumb as all hell, but even by THAT standard, the person DID.

Transporter on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I never thought I would ever see a group of people saying emotional payoff doesn't have to be earned by a narrative. And calling it creepy or weird or dumb to expect? Wtf?

Like, that is insane to me. Is this why Twilight is so successful, because people just don't expect narratives to be good anymore?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    Real life is random, unfair, and uncaring. I expect better from my entertainment.

kyrcl.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Real life is random, unfair, and uncaring. I expect better from my entertainment.

Random narration makes for shit stories though, unless your audience is very drunk.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    SO with this happening, when do I get my Buckaroo Bonzai VS. The World Crime League

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    The Evil Dead thread is the last place I expected to see people talking about narrative structure and Deus Ex Machina.

More one-liners, chainsaws, instant seductions and slapstick horror please.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I am, for the record, incredibly happy that this is a thing that is happening.

The Evil Dead thread is the last place I expected to see people talking about narrative structure and Deus Ex Machina.

More one-liners, chainsaws, instant seductions and slapstick horror please.

That's all just pillow talk, baby.

kyrcl.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    We had a gray Persian cat. I suggested we name her Ashley and that we could call her Ash for short because her color was the color of coal ash. It wasn't until we'd been calling her Ash for several months that I confessed the true inspiration for her name. By that point it was too late. ulQtuDK.png

TheCanMan on
    I may have technically Hail Hydra!'d your post, but it was actually a Hail to the King, Baby.

Came across this image while trawling for any tidbit of information on this:

original.jpg

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    The only other choice that would make me question that poster would be Dave Grohl.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    SO with this happening, when do I get my Buckaroo Bonzai VS. The World Crime League

Seriously. This should be an ongoing Netflix original.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Came across this image while trawling for any tidbit of information on this:

original.jpg

It's the alternate Baldwin ABC, Always Be Campbell'ing.

Also, the remake is excellent. The only misstep is the few minutes, really.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    I had been holding out hope for a Sam Axe and Jessie Burn Notice spin-off. I wouldn't have dared dream for this. The only better news would be new Briscoe County Jr. series.

kyrcl.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    We had a gray Persian cat. I suggested we name her Ashley and that we could call her Ash for short because her color was the color of coal ash. It wasn't until we'd been calling her Ash for several months that I confessed the true inspiration for her name. By that point it was too late. ulQtuDK.png

So my old boss, she married a guy. They had a kid, a son even. She was not a horror fan. He was. He convinced her to name him Ashley. Lied and said it was a family name. He finally fessed up when the boy was about 5. She was good humored about it.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Ordered straight to series by Starz.
    The Evil Dead movie franchise has officially crossed over to television with a 10-episode straight-to-series order from Starz for a 2015 premiere. Titled Ash Vs. Evil Dead, the followup to the classic film franchise reteams the original filmmakers, director Sam Raimi, longtime producing partner Rob Tapert and star Bruce Campbell who will serve as executive producers. Campbell will be reprising his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons –personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its “Evil” grip.

Raimi will direct the first episode of Ash Vs. Evil Dead, which he co-wrote with his brother Ivan Raimi (Darkman) and Tom Spezialy (Chuck). “Evil Dead has always been a blast,” Raimi said. “Bruce, Rob, and I are thrilled to have the opportunity to tell the next chapter in Ash’s lame, but heroic saga. With his chainsaw arm and his ‘boomstick,’ Ash is back to kick some monster butt. And brother, this time there’s a truckload of it.”

Ash vs. Evil Dead also reunites Sam Raimi and Tapert with Starz where they executive produced the pay cable network’s first scripted hit, drama Spartacus. Ivan Raimi will co-executive produce the series, and Aaron Lam (Spartacus) will serve as producer.

Fans have been buzzing about an Evil Dead series since Sam Raimi announced at Comic-Con — where he and Campbell are hugely popular — that he was working on it. “I’m really excited to bring this series to the Evil Dead fans worldwide – it’s going to be everything they have been clamoring for: serious deadite ass-kicking and plenty of outrageous humor,” said Campbell.

The original Evil Dead film followed Ash and his friends who travel to a cabin in the woods, where they unknowingly release demons intent on possessing the living. It was a hit, spawning a franchise that including two sequels directed by Raimi, produced by Talpert and starring Campbell, as well as video games and comic books. There was also a recent feature reboot produced by Raimi and Talpert and directed by Fede Alvarez.

Captain Tragedy on
    Somebody pinch me. I think I've died and gone to TV heaven.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Somebody pinch me. I think I've died and gone to TV heaven.

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    On STARZ, produced by the guy who did Spartacus and Raimi himself, with Campbell starring...

This doesn't start on April 1st, does it? Because I would get an axe if it turned out that this was a joke.
    Does this mean there's going to be a ton of nudity in my Evil Dead?

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The Evil Dead remake had the same problem lots of horror movies have.

In that it gave us zero reason to root for the protagonist whatsoever. You can't get invested in a movie when you don't care who wins.

We rooted for Ash in ED because he was funny.

Greeper on
    Thread title changed to reflect the show's official name.

I'm super glad they're going back to the horror/comedy well. It's the true peanut butter and chocolate combination that makes Evil Dead such a delectable and indulgent pleasure.

Whelp, guess I'm gonna have to order Starz next year.

kyrcl.png
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Whelp, guess I'm gonna have to order Starz next year.

I hope that they take a cue from HBO and sell online memberships to STARZ.

Has there been anymore rumors about a Sam Axe & Jesse Burn Notice spin-off?

kyrcl.png