As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    The last two episodes were the weakest of both seasons.
    It seemed like they really didn't know what to do after defeating Bill but still had two episodes left, so somebody said "Hey, let's go back to the cabin again!"

Actually the penultimate episode had a lot of potential, I thought. It was a love letter to ED2. It's just that they promptly shat all over the beautiful setup in the finale.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    It seemed like they really didn't know what to do after defeating Bill but still had two episodes left, so somebody said "Hey, let's go back to the cabin again!"

Actually the penultimate episode had a lot of potential, I thought. It was a love letter to ED2. It's just that they promptly shat all over the beautiful setup in the finale.

I thought it was dumb plan even by Ash standards.
    "We just defeated the Big Bad, so let's go back in time and take a chance on royally screwing things up."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

"We just defeated the Big Bad, so let's go back in time and take a chance on royally screwing things up."

To be fair
    he was hopped up on angel dust laced weed and grief.

• Options
    edited December 2016

To be fair

The only thing that didn't track, to me, was that
    Ruby went along with it right away. I figured she had an angle.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    Shoot first, ask questions never.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

To be fair

The only thing that didn't track, to me, was that
    Ruby went along with it right away. I figured she had an angle.
    It kinda makes sense. She just saw Ash pull off what she thought was an amazingly stupid plan and take down Bill like a chump. I'm guessing she was ready to follow him into aything at that point.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Actually, that sounds exactly like something Ash would say. Like, I wouldn't be shocked if that spoiler is a literal quote Ash uses in the show to justify his time-travel shenanigans.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I dunno about you guys but I thought the ending was great. Way better than last seasons ending, which was a bit anti-climatic.

Crazy. Illogical. But a lot of fun. It felt like a fever dream, which is where I think Evil Dead thrives. A little too positive maybe, should have been more confusing imo.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Holy shit guys. First episode was creepy, second episode... well, that was a sticky situation.
    That arm magazine thing was amazing, dunno how they did that.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Even if I think the original plan for season 3 was better I love this show so much.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    3x03
    A bit weird they got Majors back and didn't bother revealing that secret from last season. Getting Ash and Ruby to sing the end song was a nice touch.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    That casket scene was excellent.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I unironically love that theres a physics thing going on in the Raimi universe where coffins are always held on tables, where 2 of the legs will magically give out at the most inopportune moment. Like a law of motion or something.

edit: We'ill call it the 'Raimi coffin', like 'chekhov's gun'.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That was a weak episode IMO. Not much really happened and that substitution for Brock's revelation was not worth it. The guy playing the Sumerian Knight was not charismatic or notable enough physically for the role however brief, so it just all seemed kinda pointless. A weak episode of AvED is still a decent tv episoed overall, but eh.

• Options
    Now that was a great episode. It was full on Evil Dead/Army of Darkness all the way. It had absolutely fucked up scenes that should have invoked pure disgust, but done in such a humorous way that you can't help but kick back and laugh your head off at the absurdity. Plus the classic Campbell Three Stooges violence we all love the man for.

Fucking well done.

• Options
    I like that Pablo and Kelly are getting into the absurd violence now too instead of them being the purely serious/realistic(ish) part of the show.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Well, I guess I will have to finish season 2.
    Baal is kinda stupid.

• Options
    Bill? Bill!!?

• Options
    Watching season 2.
    I just watched the asylum episode where Ash is supposedly brainwashed.

• Options
    Gotta have a brain before you can wash it. Shoot first, think never.

• Options
    Finished season 2.
    It seems like the ending is an illusion.

• Options
    The original show runner had different ideas for where the show was intended to go, that's why it seems so disjointed.

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »
    The original show runner had different ideas for where the show was intended to go, that's why it seems so disjointed.

Yeah, it's no illusion; the ending just sucks because there was a power struggle on the set, and Rob Tapert, the executive producer, won. The showrunner got his walking papers, and the show gets an unexplained soft reboot.

Although (season 3)
    There is a bit of Kelly dialogue where she mentions how the time travel results didn't make any sense.

It's probably just a lampshade, though.

• Options
    The chainsaw in the bathtub was a WTF moment.

• Options
    Ash going to the Upside Down was fun, and I really dig concerned father Ash. These last few episodes have marked a return to good for me.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Well...let’s hope the season finale has some sort of finality.

Cancelled.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/ash-vs-evil-dead-canceled-starz-sam-raimi-1202373190/

• Options
    AWe Fuck!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is why I wish cable shows with borderline ratings would stop ending in cliffhangers.

• Options
    Honestly I want them to cliffhanger the shit out of this out of spite.

• Options
    Ending on a cliffhanger seems very appropriate for a Evil Dead series.

• Options
    I wonder if we'd be here if the original plan had gone ahead. I like this season but it's definitely the weakest.

• Options
    Honestly it is kind of ridiculous that we even got 3 seasons of this show at all.

I feel blessed...though I am still sore about Tapert ousting the season 2 show runner and hitting a soft reset for 3rd, because that storyline was going awesome places.

• Options
    Noooooooooooo!

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Episode 309
    This sure looks like an end-of-series scenario, so maybe they intended to tie the narrative off here, or at least allow for it to end without leaving a lot of loose ends.

Ruby dead, Brandy gets a toolshed scene, Kaya gone so Kelly can come back, Ash looks to be actually stepping up instead of selfishly running or dealing his way out of a fight, and the Dark Ones are manifesting on Earth for real. That has series finale written all over it.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Well this is why the other episodes have been pretty budget light.

• Options
    So it kinda sucks how they ended it, but it's probably for the best. It's weird that the show deviated so far from the original 2 seasons. The first season episodes I was able to rewatch endlessly, and the gore was through the roof. The second season was slightly aimless but retained the darkness and humour, but this season abandoned almost all of that. There were some good deadite moments like the sperm bank battle, but for the most part all that was put on the backburner for the Brandy/Ash storyline. Even Ruby's plot revolved entirely around Brandy, and so all that build up went nowhere.

I think that opting to bring in someone new to play his daughter was a mistake. And I think the choice of actress was a mistake. She's not compelling in any way, she would be one of the victims in a normal horror film. To try and make her an Ash 2.0 was ridiculous when she doens't possess a fraction of the charm. Even worse, in this final episode Kelly flat out says "I was trying to be like you" to Ash, which seemed like a middle-finger to the idea of making her his daughter and saying "nope, she wasn't good enough". So as a result KELLY took a backseat all season as well. The whole Brandy thing was a mistake IMO, and I think Ash being the time-travelling father of Kelly would have been more in-line with what came before, removed the need to spend so much time building up a new character who wasn't interesting, and would've made Ruby taking possession of her body with Kaya like... a thing to even bother fucking doing? Use her body to kill Ash since the daughter has to do it? Instead of "Here's Kaya, bye Kaya." And it ends on...I guess a cliffhanger? I don't know if that was an intentional ending or not since the world is fucked despite Ash winning.

It wasn't terrible, but I have no intention of ever going back and rewatching any of this season. Outside of the sperm bank, there was nothing here.

• Options
    So it kinda sucks how they ended it, but it's probably for the best. It's weird that the show deviated so far from the original 2 seasons. The first season episodes I was able to rewatch endlessly, and the gore was through the roof. The second season was slightly aimless but retained the darkness and humour, but this season abandoned almost all of that. There were some good deadite moments like the sperm bank battle, but for the most part all that was put on the backburner for the Brandy/Ash storyline. Even Ruby's plot revolved entirely around Brandy, and so all that build up went nowhere.

I think that opting to bring in someone new to play his daughter was a mistake. And I think the choice of actress was a mistake. She's not compelling in any way, she would be one of the victims in a normal horror film. To try and make her an Ash 2.0 was ridiculous when she doens't possess a fraction of the charm. Even worse, in this final episode Kelly flat out says "I was trying to be like you" to Ash, which seemed like a middle-finger to the idea of making her his daughter and saying "nope, she wasn't good enough". So as a result KELLY took a backseat all season as well. The whole Brandy thing was a mistake IMO, and I think Ash being the time-travelling father of Kelly would have been more in-line with what came before, removed the need to spend so much time building up a new character who wasn't interesting, and would've made Ruby taking possession of her body with Kaya like... a thing to even bother fucking doing? Use her body to kill Ash since the daughter has to do it? Instead of "Here's Kaya, bye Kaya." And it ends on...I guess a cliffhanger? I don't know if that was an intentional ending or not since the world is fucked despite Ash winning.

It wasn't terrible, but I have no intention of ever going back and rewatching any of this season. Outside of the sperm bank, there was nothing here.

You know, I liked "Ash is a dad" as a storyline. He needed to own up to his shit, and this entire season was about that. While I am not sure they got the best actress possible to play his daughter, I thought that Arielle Carver-O’Neill did okay for someone that is new to the splatter gore genre.

I think the problems from losing the season 1-2 showrunner poisoned the well a bit, for sure, and "Kelly is Ash's daughter" would have been fine if the time travel plot had been allowed to continue, but I thought that Kelly was fine otherwise. She had some truly badass moments this season (her fight with Ruby was top-notch).

Also, Kelly isn't a minor. She doesn't need adult supervision. Brandy NEEDS a parent, and Ash needs to learn parental responsibility. Having that plot with Kelly would infantilize her. Chica mows down deadites like she's mowing the lawn already.

Series finale
    Actually I thought that the ending was just fine. It was a direct homage to the original ending of Army of Darkness, where he drinks too much of the sleep potion and wakes up in the post-apocalyptic wasteland. And it wasn't a cliffhanger: Ash gearing up with a Mad Max guncar with an Ex Machina robot hottie manning the .50 cal and driving groovily into the wasteland to fight Evil because he didn't complete the job in the past is about the most Ash Williams ending the show could possibly have. "...and the adventure continues" is how you end shows like this, I think, because Evil can never truly be defeated.

But there was plenty of closure. Ruby: Dead. Kandar the Destroyer: Dead with his own knife. Pablo: a Jefe at peace with his heritage. Kelly: the goddamn leader they need, and one who deserves the title. Brandy: has the good luck charm Ash carried with him through all his adventures, and has learned to be strong from a dad who finally took responsibility.

So... it was a flawed show, but they had a lot of really admirable elements and had a lot of fun along the way. Ash deserved a send-off, and this was alright!

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Series finale spoilers:
    It's apparently fated (whether through Army of Darkness test screenings/studio interference or through TV show cancellation) that there isn't going to be a future post-apocalyptic Evil Dead.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I wonder if the writers produced a backup ending in the event the show didn't get reviewed, and that's what we got here.

• Options
    Right off the bat I have to say sincere Ash is now my favorite Ash. Those scenes were some of the best in the entire series, and Bruce nailed it. I also think Kelly is way to competent to be Ash's daughter, so I'm fine they didnt go that route. Love the actress so much I'm following her on the instagrams. Same for Pablo if I'm being honest.

Not happy with the ending, despite it falling in line with the series. If it truly is the end, as Bruce has publicly stated, I'd have preferred a happier ending for the character. Evil defeated, destiny fulfilled, beer bongs and earned father daughter time with uncle Brujo and Aunt ultra badass ending would have been perfect.

That said, I'm very happy to have gotten more Evil Dead. Never would I have ever dreamed of four seasons of ultra violent Bruce Campbell goodness, but by God it happened. I'll happily take the good with the bad and remember the viewings fondly.