As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread: Holy cow this 2K sale is the real deal

IoloIolo ioloRegistered User regular
edited August 2014 in Games and Technology
CH74Z.png

News: @Houn has made a hub for finding Steam Thread streamers: http://digitalarcanum.net/pastreamers/

Welcome to the Steam thread!

This is a pretty neat community of people who like to talk about video games, sales, digital distribution, hat economies, classiness and classholery. We enjoy long walks on the beach, digital hoarding, gifting, the suffering of longtime members, and raising money for charity.

QJkrjHM.jpg

TrXAw.png

This is a big, busy thread. There are some guidelines to keep things nice and orderly:
  • Be civil.
  • This thread is for Steam-related discussion. Try to look for other, more appropriate threads before discussing games or other topics in here. Let's not drain other threads of precious content!
  • If you feel someone's acting inappropriately, then quietly report the responsible parties to forum mods.
  • Don't post links to active kickstarters without prior mod permission. Forum-wide rule.
  • Linking your Steam profile in your sig will help community members find you, see what kinds of games you like, invite you to MP games, etc.
  • Do not beg for games.

We have two core Steam groups: Both of these groups have chat, and both are used sometimes to try to limit giveaways to community members. If you've just arrived, hang out here in the thread for a while and talk games with us before you ask for membership. When you do ask, include a link to your Steam profile. Steam name search is poop from a butt.

Penny Arcade is a general Steam group for folks from the PA forums.

PA G&T Adventure Team is a group that was originally created to get multi/coop going for smaller or older titles. Because it is actively moderated, a lot of folks use it as a giveaway group (to avoid problems we've had in the past with non-forumers scooping up gifts intended for the community.) Membership is locked during major sales.
HiT BiT wrote: »
Occasionally we also go on quests to slay a dragon and win the heart of a princess
The Newell needs those hearts (apparently they are used as power supply for the Steam servers).

FBalMdj.jpg

Sometimes people gift games.
  • Don't feel that you have to gift games to be a part of this community. It's just one of many things that go on. Some people can give lots of games. Some people can give a game or two a year. Some people make amazing images. Some people find hidden indie gems and report about them. Some people relay amazing gaming moments. Some people report sales. Some people are hysterical. Etc. There are many ways to participate in this community. Gifting is just one of them and is not required.
  • If you run a contest, have entries PMed to you. The thread gets too cluttered otherwise. You can, however, post the winning entries.
  • If you receive a gift, then take a moment to thank the gifter. Use the notification system so they can see your thank you post! ( @NAME. Use quotes around names with spaces.) See below for an example.
  • If you win a Steamgifts giveaway, in addition to thanking the gifter, be sure to mark the gift as received on Steamgifts. You tie up a gift 'slot' for the gifter until you do.
  • In addition to contests, wishlist gifting, ninja gifting, revenge gifting, pile-on gifting and Steamgifts.com giveaways, we have the new [ codes ][ /codes ] tags which can fire off one or more Steam codes (or activation links). More info about [ codes ] below.

A Steam thread participant preparing for gifting...
DuoTRts.jpg
If you want to @ someone with spaces in their name, use quotation marks around the name so it looks like this:

JkmrvqB.png

Which will then turn into this:

GmuG58A.png

Oh, and if you quote text that has an @alert in it, please take a moment to remove the @ (unless you really want that person to get another notification.) Sometimes we get to chatting and someone will get 3, 4, 5+ notifications all at once.

Rare footage of a gift fight in action...
cHvcZKg.jpg

vEerB.png

Steam sales are legendary. From small to honking massive:

Daily Deals: One game a day goes on sale at 10am PT for 24 hours.

Midweek Madness: Starts 10am PT Tuesday and ends Thursday afternoon.

Weekend Sale: Starts midday Thursday and ends with the sale rollover Monday. Sometimes accompanies free play weekends for MP titles.

Publisher Sale: Many of the publishers games will get a modest discount with a single title or franchise getting a featured day with a deeper discount. Follow the big sale guidelines.

Seasonal Sales: Mardi Gras time here in the thread. Huge swaths of games go on discount, with daily specials, flash sales, community vote sales, and whatever else the evil geniuses at Valve cook up to separate us from our money. There are often metagames such as sale achievements or collectibles or other madness that rewards buying, playing and gifting games and participating in Steam's community. The summer sale usually starts in the last week of June and runs for two weeks, and the Winter sale usually runs for two weeks across Christmas and New Year's.

Other retailers like Amazon and Green Man Gaming get into the act now too, so there are often great values to be had during sales for Steam-activatable games from other sites.

Seasonal Sales are basically a big deal around this thread.

7xy5i.png

Important Note: If you are waiting for a particular game, be sure to mind the countdown timer on the game's store page. Starting Winter 2013, the last day of the sale was just a recap of top sellers. Most games went back to full price.

FtFG8.png

How do I join the Steam groups?
Membership to the two Steam groups is for reasonably active community members. If you have been on the PA forums for a while and have participated, post a link to your Steam profile here in the thread and a Steam group mod will take care of you.

If you've been on the forums for three days during a major sale and your only posts have been to casually express your strong desire for certain games, your request is unlikely to find a positive reception. Ditto if your very first post on the forum is to ask for group membership. Sadly this does happen sometimes.

The best parts of this community are available to you now just by showing up. Read some posts, make some posts, ask to be invited as a guest to chat, buy some games, play some games, etc. Group membership is modest icing on delicious cake.

Warning: This guy's going to make you buy games. All the games.

HXxJbR7.png

Where are you guys getting those nifty Steam Signatures?
Check out Alabaster Slim for his lovely signature generator.

Has Game X ever been Price Y? How can I keep track of all the sales and discounts?

http://isthereanydeal.com/ is your friend. You can sync your Steam wishlist to it if you like and get notifications when prices drop. Double check that you are getting a Steam key from a 3rd party site before buying.

How do the new [codes ][ /codes] tags even work?

Put a series of Steam activation codes (or activation links, or movie quotes, or winning lottery numbers...) inside the tags, each on its own line like this (without the spaces inside the brackets, of course):
[codes ]code 1
code 2
code 3
code n[/codes]

That will create a little box with a clickable link and a number. Each forumer who clicks the link will get a popup and a PM with the next line. Each line can only be sent out once and each forumer can only click once. It was originally designed to allow developers to hand out lots of codes for a game without some goose grabbing the lot.

Just one code thingy per post!

Note: [ code ][ /code ] is a different tag. Be sure to get that "s" up in there!

Trading cards? Badges? Steam profile levels? Boosters? FOILS?! What the hell?
Some games (more every week) now have trading cards. You can earn some of these cards by playing/idling the game. Some of them you'll need to get by trading or buying them from the Steam community market. Completing a set lets you craft a badge, which gives you an emoticon, a profile wallpaper, a coupon (usually) and profile experience. Leveling up your profile increase your friend cap, earns you customization options for your Steam profile and, allegedly, increases your chances of getting a booster. Boosters are packs of three cards that show up in your inventory sometimes. You can open them or sell them on the market. Sometimes cards are foil. Each game has a regular badge with five levels and a single-level foil badge. Oh, and you must be a certain level to get your card drops.

But that's pure, diabolical evil!
Yes, that's right.

Can we trade cards in the thread?
You can but it's inefficient. Use the Steam feature that shows you which of your friends has the cards you need. Oh, and join the Steam group we created for trading cards: PA Card Sharks

Also check this handy tip:
HiT BiT wrote: »
A little Steam trading trick some of you may not be aware of:

-Go to your Steam Inventory
-Click on the "Trade Offers" button
-Then click on the "Who can send me Trade Offers?" link
-Below you will find a "Trade URL"

You can share this URL with other Steam users to allow them to directly send you a trade offer even if they aren't on your friends list.
You can share this URL anywhere, including your forum sig.
If you have shared or posted your URL and would like to stop receiving trade offers from it use the "Create New URL" button. A new Trade URL will be created turning the previous one inoperative.

AG8I4O9.jpg

Is Steam down?!
Is it Tuesday? It's probably scheduled maintenance.

It's not Tuesday. Is Steam down?!
http://issteamdown.com/

What are you people talking about? Why hats and what is an "Isy?"
Check out the handy Steam Thread Primer, written by @Smokestacks!
Steam Thread Primer:

Gaben/The Newell - Gabe Newell, Director of Valve Software. Called "Gaben" because in the commentary for older Source Engine games he would tell players to email him at "Gabe N. at valvesoftware.com" with user feedback.

Serve the Newell - To buy games on Steam, to give Gaben your money. From this comic edit.

Bad Rats - An incredibly awful 'physics' based puzzle game, available on Steam, notorious for being as awkward as it is broken. Will haunt your dreams. Popular gift to give to people.

Class - An attribute demonstrated by people who will generously purchase games and then give them to internet strangers.

Class War - When two or more forumers buy each other games back and forth until one of them gives up. I know this sounds really crazy, but it happens.

Bundle - Originally the Humble Indie Bundle, which was a "pay what you want" system for a group of games, now usually means any website selling a group of games (usually able to be registered on Steam) for a low price.

Giveaway/A Giveaway - Usually refers to a giveaway on Steamgifts.com, a website where you list a game you want to give away, people enter, and then a winner is randomly decided among all entrants after a set time period.

Hats/The Hatconomy - The purchase and sale of in-game hats or sometimes other items in TF2. Some hats are very valuable, which is funny because they are just hats for videogame characters. People who have valuable hats or other items in their inventories sometimes get messages from random people on Steam begging for those items.

Backlog - The list of games you have purchased, but have not gotten around to playing yet. Tends to grow over time, often to immense proportions. If you do not have a backlog yet, between the thread and the sales you will get one.

Spies/Russian Spies - People who lurk the thread or try to get into the various PA Steam groups not to participate in the community, but to try and get free games.

Steamsigs - Custom forum signatures that display a link to your Steam profile, as well as an image of a game you are currently playing, have played the most in the last two weeks, or have played the most over all time (if you haven't played any games on Steam in the last two weeks). Available here courtesy of forumer Suds. Having a Steam sig (or some sort of clickable link to your Steam profile in your signature) makes it considerably easier for people to add you to their friends list.

Child's Play - A charity started by the writer and artist behind PA that raises money for videogames/toys that go to children's hospitals, originally started in '03, has grown every year. Helps sick kids feel better about their time in the hospital while simultaneously refuting the idea that gamers are antisocial jerks.

Isy - Big Classy, a forumer. Formerly known as "Big Isy", he was granted the new name after donating a hefty amount of money to Child's Play during a fundraiser. Sometimes referred to as Isy, which might cause confusion to people who haven't been around very long.

Summer Dale - A phone's auto-correction of "Summer Sale", which through some sort of internet voodoo produced an actual entity, a smooth voiced funk loving man who lives in a world where the 80s reign eternal and supreme. Also sometimes used to describe the upcoming Summer Sale itself.

Rainbow and/or Slash - Two forumers by the name of Rainbowdespair and slash000 who are notable for developing the third and fourth installments of the Penny Arcade: On the Railslick Precipice of Darkness series. Also developed Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World, two RPGs that, alone with the Rainslick games, are available on Steam.

Also, sometimes shit gets real. Like that time we all murdered each other for bloodsport games. And there was a kabob conspiracy and a kind of Cthulhu bunny. @akajaybay took us down that particular rabbit hole. ;)

Why are you people obsessed with Bad Rats and Amnesia?
A moment of ill-advised swagger from anoffday turned into a horrifying LP of Bad Rats which, because reasons, turned into over $6000 raised for Child's Play.

CorriganX raised over $1100 for Child's Play via Amnesia.

We raised $11,903 dollars for charity in December!. Wowzers!
Fanda wrote: »
For our Christmas fundraiser to restore TychoCelchuuu's threadmaking privileges (and help the kids), I donated to Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. This week I received a nice letter from them! I figured I'd share part of it with y'all, since this applies to all of you at least as much as it does to me.

1tKH5n0.jpg

What is this Steamgifts site? I wish to create a giveaway! I cannot enter a giveaway!
Steamgifts is a neat site that lets people create giveaways for games on Steam. Points for entering giveaways are accumulated over time, so just wait a bit if you need points. Entry to giveaways can be limited by Steam group membership to prevent mooches from getting games.

How do I make one of those cool Steam Gifts signature giveaway banners?
v0nJCVB.jpg

What are all these bundles you people keep talking about?
In addition to Steam sales and sales of Steam keys on other sites and gifts, we live in a golden age of bundles! Bundle sites sell batches of games for modest amounts of money, often as low as a few dollars. Many, but not all, contribute to charity and many, but not all, give you Steam keys for the games. Sometimes you'll buy an indie gem that isn't even on Steam, and later when arrives on Steam you will get a key through the bundle site. Be careful if you plan to gift some of the games, as sometimes the bundled games will come in a single Steam key. We have a separate bundles thread.

I have too many games! Which do I play?
Steam Roulette randomly picks a game for you to play.

I have too many games! How do I move them to my new hard drive?
Steam Mover makes transporting your massive library much easier.

But wait! I have ALL OF THE GAMES installed! I need more space on my hard drive! wat i do?
You download Tikione Steam Cleaner and clean up that shit

Okay that helped. Now I have more room for stuff. Free stuff.
Isorn wrote: »
Someone on a steam forum made [url="http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/29711524/#Comment_29711524"a nice list of all free DLC you can add to your steam account[/url] if you have the base-game but that thread is currently not available so I figure I post it here. Since it is pretty easy to miss some of these.

The sale prices aren't right! What's going on?! Oh God, the darkness is closing in...
During the seasonal sales, you are one of a million monkeys hammering F5 at 10am PT to see the new sales. The system is always borked for 5-20 minutes. Take a deep breath. The Newell will deliver, and the new dailies will be available for 48 hours.

Why are some games not available in my region?
Publishers determine what countries get what games. Someone in a suit decided that it wasn't worth the money to make the game available to your region, so it isn't available on Steam. This also applies to cases of games having edited/censored versions showing up on Steam in certain countries. The good news is that you can generally get around this by having someone from another region gift or trade you the game.

Steam is downloading slowly. What gives?
You can head to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads + Cloud and change your download region until things improve. Since other regions are typically less populated, you will probably get somewhat better results even if the new server is in another country.

The Steam thread has a proud tradition of marrying our love of Steam and Penny Arcade in comic edits:

steamregulator.jpg

GALLERY OF EDITS:
9TMSa4K.jpg

PYjq4jb.jpg

PIB2a8t.jpg

iiYKGKcEuBpMA.jpg

iBMvqqtVLFGQA.jpg

inByKXRaayKRe.png

jLuh0Pk.jpg

isUW4BUY7nMzO.jpg

Q0oMnZf.jpg

ibdcvjc2MO3gTb.png

ih0Zpm1ZB2fRu.jpg

ibxLHlG35kActf.jpg

WJCwEce.jpg

n6r4F.jpg

tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

coupons.jpg

P9CBk.jpg

steamprayer.jpg

trainsj.jpg

LHrXd.png

l4W8s.jpg

utsgVf8.jpg

OzUXXKz.png

t514P8g.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
Steam profile.
Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
Iolo on

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    everyone recommend graphics card melting games for @Paco‌

Deus Ex Human Revolution with the gold killer mod

Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod. Race your fellow players riding a jumbo jet like a pony.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah man, I got a birthday and a bunch of travel in the month of August, so getting Steam time is gonna be tough. Normally the Summer Sale would have been much later but now I'm sorta bummed we have to wait till the winter.

And nothing is on sale right now, so I can't justify buying certain titles just yet.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • PacoPaco Registered User regular

Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod. Race your fellow players riding a jumbo jet like a pony.

This is great news because thanks to the humble bundle I have both of these. I also have Skyrim and I've heard there are some graphical mods for it that make the game look amazing, but I have no idea where to even start. I'll probably lurk in the Skyrim thread to see if I can learn anything about that though.

camo_sig2.png
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular

gold killer mod?

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    How good was Soul Reaver 2? I vaguely recall stuffs about it, but wondering if it was worth picking up from the Humble Bundle store.

PSN: jfrofl
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    If anyone is playing Trails in the Sky and gets crashes, the game thankfully auto saves like every screen change and battle. It can be hard to see, but when you load your save, you're at page 1. Autosaves are page 0.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    @mts hit me with octodad last night out of ze blue

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am really wondering if I should buy the early access for sunless sea, but then I remembered that the last early access game I played I ended up never actually playing the full thing (as the early access put me off).

But Lovecraftian seafaring horror is so something I would enjoy...

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I am really wondering if I should buy the early access for sunless sea, but then I remembered that the last early access game I played I ended up never actually playing the full thing (as the early access put me off).

It's very good and just added a huge update which makes the game map random every time.

Also it's already got 100,000+ words of writing which is the main reason to buy the game anyway. So It's worth while IMO. Also they have a clearly planned 'here is how development is going to work' road map and are an established studio so stuff shouldn't go wrong.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Ok I was waiting for everything to get sorted and then for a new thread to post about it but I wanted to mention something awesome that happened. This week has been a huge rollercoaster, here's why:

My PSU wasn't cutting it a while ago with regards to my video card and I was seeing random hardlocks, so I pulled my GPU out and was rocking integrated video.

Over the past week or so, I have gotten packages from a group of people on this very forum. Inside have been components for a PC that when combined were to form a mighty rig suitable for playing Steam games that would not be possible on my current setup.

When my power supply issues started popping up (mainly that I didn't have enough amps on the 12v rail to power a GPU that was also a hand me down from this forum) and someone mysteriously mentioned I would be getting a package in the mail I thought maybe someone had an old PSU they wanted to get rid of. Instead, I was given an ominous message and a tracking number.

A short time later I got a separate package in the mail. Confused, I opened it. Inside was 8GB of RAM.

At this point I was confused, because it was DDR3 and my rig is an older LGA775 system that can only use DDR2. The confusion turned to terror when I realized that this was separate from the tracking number I had been provided, so if someone sent RAM, that must mean... no, no way. Yes. Later that same day I got another package, this time it was a new mobo.

At this point I am considering calling Guinness due to the fact that I am experiencing the world's longest heart attack and on Monday I get another package, inside a Core-i3 3240 and a 600w power supply. The only complaint I might have had with this situation is that it would have been more convenient if they had added a plastic bag to the box for the pieces of my head which exploded out of sheer joy.

So I mentioned that the week had been a rollercoaster, and here's why. I put the new PSU into my case, put the new mobo into my case, put the new CPU and RAM into the mobo, put the old GPU into the mobo, crossed my fingers and my eyes, and fired it up.

Nothing.

After some troubleshooting and finally finding an old speaker I could use to listen for POST beep codes it turns out that the CPU isn't on the mobo's compatibility list. I am heartbroken.

But alas! I can still use the new PSU to power my old rig, and be able to use the GPU again while I figure out the Mobo/CPU solution. I'm back in the game, baby! Fuck yeah, SilverLiningStacks!

I pull the new mobo out, reinstall the old one, and fire it up.

My rig isn't booting. My SSD isn't working. Not even showing up. I pull it and throw it into my laptop to see what happens, and nothing. It is dead. This isn't the end of the world, as I still have the old IDE drive I was using previously, so it's not the end of the world.

I throw in the old GPU and the IDE drive. The GTX's fans spin but there is a strange intermittent clicking noise (similar to the kind you hear from a hot car when it is cooling down in the driveway after a long drive). No video whatsoever. It appears that the GPU is dead. Again, devastated (although it's getting to be kind of funny at this point), but I figure, not a huge blow, now I'm just back where I started (more or less) and I still have some killer hardware waiting for me once I can get what I need to use it.

But then I'm like "Waaaaaaait a minute" and I check the EVGA website, and it turns out that the GPU still has like 200 something days of warranty left, so I do an RMA request, and I'll know in "1-2 business days" if it's accepted, so there is hope yet!

No story worth telling ever goes "We started and nothing happened and then we got there, the end", there will come a time when it all comes together like a Voltron of sublime class, and I cannot wait. I'm currently working on a plan to get a replacement mobo, which would mean bumping up from a C2Q 6600 to a Core i3 that will run cooler, quieter, and according to Passmark around 70%(!) faster.

@minor incident
    @Pixelated Pixie
    @cardboard delusions
    @Khildith‌
    @Berylline
    @Big Classy
    and
    @Anyone Else I May Have Missed,

You guys are my fucking hero and I love you all. I'd consider myself lucky if I could bring half as much joy to another human being as you paragons of human generosity have brought to me in my time spent here. I am continuously astonished by the people in this thread. You all deserve a medal.

• IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Thanks @Berylline for the original Splinter Cell and @Spoit for Spellforce 2. And just now @aerynkelly got me with Divinity: Original Sin.

Thank you all for the brilliant birthday gifts. <3

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Paco wrote: »

This is great news because thanks to the humble bundle I have both of these. I also have Skyrim and I've heard there are some graphical mods for it that make the game look amazing, but I have no idea where to even start. I'll probably lurk in the Skyrim thread to see if I can learn anything about that though.

@Paco, @Talus9952‌ had this recommendation from the end of the last thread for Skyrim (buxom, barely clad character models optional):
    Talus9952 wrote:
    I followed this guide and pretty much use most of the essential and some of the optional mods. I did use ENB as well, but disabled it as it took too much of a performance hit on my machine.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    everyone recommend graphics card melting games for Paco‌

gold killer mod?
    I cannot remember the name but it removes the gold tone to everything and elevates the graphics.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    @Smokestacks To celebrate, you should stream for another 24 hours.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    How good was Soul Reaver 2? I vaguely recall stuffs about it, but wondering if it was worth picking up from the Humble Bundle store.

When it came out, I really enjoyed the game's story, but I was disappointed in how much more linear it was compared to the original Soul Reaver. I think it was also a lot shorter. It's not a bad game at all, though, and the voice acting is just as good as in the first one. I also love how almost everything gets wrapped up in its sequel, Legacy of Kain: Defiance. It has a pretty satisfying ending for the whole series.

I have no idea what it's like on the PC; I played through it on PS2.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I want to win Powerball and then use the money to travel the world and shake people's hands for the things they do here.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I need to give Soul Reaver 1 another try, I got lost last time I played it and have no clue where I'm supposed to be going or what I'm supposed to be doing

steam_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    And @rikdaly just got me with the Guardians of the Galaxy pinball table. I didn't even know that was a thing until the pop-up. Though apparently it did release today. Thanks dude. <3

I always really liked the comics and the movie looks like it will be so much fun. Table should be good fun as well I figure.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Today's Audiosurf 2 Song of the Day immediately made me want to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Isorn wrote: »
    And rikdaly just got me with the Guardians of the Galaxy pinball table. I didn't even know that was a thing until the pop-up. Though apparently it did release today. Thanks dude. <3

I always really liked the comics and the movie looks like it will be so much fun. Table should be good fun as well I figure.

you can't expect to casually go round announcing it's your birthday without receiving gifts. Not here

steam_sig.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular

I enjoyed it quite a bit and while it does a good job of furthering the story there is a serious lack of bosses compared to SR1. But no where near as many block puzzles.

For less than $2 almost any of those games are worth picking up--Blood Omen 2 being the possible outlier though I had fun with it as well.

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Aegeri wrote: »

I'm in the same boat (GET IT???), and am waiting for the full release. My backlog has many released games that will tide (AHAHAHAHA) me over until September.

EDIT: Looks like everything has been pushed back a month to give them time to figure out combat:
    http://www.failbettergames.com/emerald-and-steel/

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
    n4c4ax1gums1.png

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP MILHOUSE

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @SmokeStacks - if the RMA for the EVGA card doesn't go through for some reason, my offer still stands to send you that Radeon 6770. It's not going to compare to a 560, but it's a long shot better than integrated and also better than the 4850 you had.

EDIT: LOL! Nevermind!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

I enjoyed it quite a bit and while it does a good job of furthering the story there is a serious lack of bosses compared to SR1. But no where near as many block puzzles.

For less than $2 almost any of those games are worth picking up--Blood Omen 2 being the possible outlier though I had fun with it as well.

Yeah, I enjoyed Blood Omen 2 as well, but it's definitely the weakest link in the series. Pretty much a side story. The combat was kind of fun though.

It's a shame the original Blood Omen hasn't gotten a PC (re)release.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    @Iolo‌ - feel free to remove the link to my card post for the time being. It's a bit too summer sale specific. I'll write up something more comprehensive at some point, but I'm a little busy at the moment :-P

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Now the Squeenix Humble Bundle extra games have appeared, I can't believe no-one else has pointed this out...

The lack of Thief II: The Metal Age from that bundle is a fucking travesty.

- - -

On a lighter note, @SmokeStacks , that is a quite stunning story. You guys here are something else, you really are. <3

And @RoyceSraphim , thank you very much for Shattered Haven!

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm in the op? Do I win a prize?

Or is being in the op a prize on it's own?

I must ponder.

Um, you guys weren't kidding about Euro Truck Simulator 2. Just had my first go on it, and... that game might be the work of an evil genius. It's brilliant.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Um, you guys weren't kidding about Euro Truck Simulator 2. Just had my first go on it, and... that game might be the work of an evil genius. It's brilliant.

I don't understand the appeal.
    I don't know that I want to.

Also dicks I guess I'm going to have to play all the Legacy of Kain games and such.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I liked Euro Truck - but I really wish they had setup some form of standardized recommended 360 controls for it and a good tutorial to go with them. It was very overwhelming to try to learn.

• PacoPaco Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Paco wrote: »

@Paco, @Talus9952‌ had this recommendation from the end of the last thread for Skyrim (buxom, barely clad character models optional):
    Talus9952 wrote:
    I followed this guide and pretty much use most of the essential and some of the optional mods. I did use ENB as well, but disabled it as it took too much of a performance hit on my machine.

This is going to be as helpful as it is destructive to my free time. Thanks!

camo_sig2.png
    @SmokeStacks what motherboard are you trying to use the i3 with? there may be a bios update that can get the cpu working? I know I found a hacked bios that allowed my old mobo to run a phenom x4 that wasn't supported by the manufacturer

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So since Smokes is all set on GPU, if anyone else is in a situation where a gently-used 6770 would be a useful upgrade (Check PassMark's score for your GPU vs the 6770's score of 1675), and you're not a sneaky dirty lurker of dubious nationality and parentage ( :P ), send me a PM and maybe something magical can happen...

EDIT: CLAIMED!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited July 2014
    I liked Euro Truck - but I really wish they had setup some form of standardized recommended 360 controls for it and a good tutorial to go with them. It was very overwhelming to try to learn.

Yeah, and I'd add that the front-end UI is rather unattractive, although at least it's functional. The tutorial is too brief and leaves a lot uncovered, and I kind of expected its level of controller support just from the "partial controller support" note on Steam. But once I'd got the controller set up for the basics it was pretty smooth sailing. Still trying to figure out what needs to be mapped to the other buttons but so far I've got:

Left stick - steering
    Right stick - look around, click to center interior view
    Left/right triggers - brake/accelerate (I'm only on the most basic automatic setup so far)
    Left/right bumpers - indicators/blinkers
    X - cruise control toggle

Did a delivery of clothes from Cambridge to Grimsby with only a couple of minor issues (must remember to slow down more for red lights and turning at T-junctions).

I like that the game sets out to genuinely do justice to its subject matter, in a totally unironic way, but to remain accessible and fun with it. I'm sure my use of the word "fun" will raise an eyebrow or two, but I genuinely enjoyed it so far. It's nice to play something with no peril or conflict, but which still has goals; something more relaxing than exciting but which still requires to be actually played. It's nice to also play something that involves driving as opposed to racing, and in a manner that's the focus of the game, not merely a diversion or an aside.

One of the things I do for work - quite often, actually - is delivery driving in a large van. It's short-ish-distance, and we only do two routes - one about 39 miles, the other about 65 - that both end back at the start. And while I could really do without the lugging (mostly for the picking and loading prior to setting off) and the reams of utterly inane paperwork, the actual driving part is something I enjoy. So far this game seems to pretty much nail that part. I'm genuinely digging it and I'm glad I grabbed it on sale a while ago (I think it was a daily I just grabbed on a whim).

And it reminds me, by virtue of the trucks, of the very different to play but still fun 18 Wheeler on the Dreamcast. I finished that game in an evening - not really a shock, it was an arcade port - but it was a blast doing so.

Jazz on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

Just looking for a group invite.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I always enjoy playing through it, graphical glitches and such notwithstanding. The game is, oddly enough for an action game, mainly about the story, which is overly dramatic, consumed with time travel and monsters and great philosophical questions. Sadly, it's the only one I ever got to play in the series, but I own all but the original game now, so I should at some point take my way through the series.

A word of warning for playing it: there are . . . dungeons, for lack of a better term, where you gain elemental powers for the Reaver. In the first of these dungeons, if you try to open the exit door with the element still on the Reaver, the game will glitch, do the color animation of the door opening, but the door will remain closed forever. There is a save outside the dungeon, but none inside, which will facilitate the need to restart the entire dungeon. I'm not sure if this even exists in the PC port or was patched out, but it certainly pissed me off. So do not try and take the element out with you.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    @Jazz - Aren't you in the UK? Do they still use miles in the UK? (Not Steam related but just matter of interest)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    rikdaly wrote: »
    @SmokeStacks what motherboard are you trying to use the i3 with? there may be a bios update that can get the cpu working? I know I found a hacked bios that allowed my old mobo to run a phenom x4 that wasn't supported by the manufacturer

It's an Asus P8Q67-M DO/TPM. It's a nice board.

The CPU compatibility list shows the newest i3 that it supports as the 2130 though.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    @Jazz - Aren't you in the UK? Do they still use miles in the UK? (Not Steam related but just matter of interest)

My obsessive watching of Top Gear tells me that the UK is sensible and measures things in miles, gallons, and pounds (for both weight and monetary value!).

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.