As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread: Holy cow this 2K sale is the real deal

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    Yeah, so Loren the Amazon Princess turned out to be a husubando and waifu game...

It's so gloriously unashamed of what it is and is just out to have as much fun with that whole thing as possible. There's been moments in the game that are legit funny and moments where I'm just laughing at the game. But I don't think the game minds at all, it's just laughing right along too. The male player character just has me in tears most of the time, from his armor to his dialogue and motivations. It's just so funny seeing that shoe on the other foot.

I played an hour or so of it so far and I'm enjoying the bejezus out of it. It's exactly as Drake says - just totally, 100% happily being itself on its own terms. The outfits are ludicrous, the dialog is sometimes lol-tastic, but I love it.

Chainmail bikini, thigh highs with a skirt
    The whole Amazon was looking at her
    She took a sword, next thing you know
    She got LOWLOWLOWLOWLOWLOWLOWLOW

Is this from the game, or is this you being inventive? Because either way, I am entertained.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Blender is great. And Nifskope. The free-tools-for-everybody people are pretty damn amazing.

On the texturing side, I've tried using Gimp (because free) but just can not seem to get a grip on it. So I'm still using an antique version of Photoshop (6.0! It's so old the installer is a 16-bit installer and it takes voodoo magic to get it to install on Windows 7!). I keep telling myself that someday I'll be able to get a newer version. Someday... But it's so damn expensive. :(

I saved and saved and got adobe creative design suite 5. It is great to save and splurge. On that note though, didn't you just drop a lot on a new computer? Priorities right?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Thanks @The Brayster‌ for Valiant Hearts!

Were you also sent a bucket?

Because you need something for the tears, let me tell you now.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Yeah, so Loren the Amazon Princess turned out to be a husubando and waifu game...

It's so gloriously unashamed of what it is and is just out to have as much fun with that whole thing as possible. There's been moments in the game that are legit funny and moments where I'm just laughing at the game. But I don't think the game minds at all, it's just laughing right along too. The male player character just has me in tears most of the time, from his armor to his dialogue and motivations. It's just so funny seeing that shoe on the other foot.

I played an hour or so of it so far and I'm enjoying the bejezus out of it. It's exactly as Drake says - just totally, 100% happily being itself on its own terms. The outfits are ludicrous, the dialog is sometimes lol-tastic, but I love it.

Chainmail bikini, thigh highs with a skirt
    The whole Amazon was looking at her
    She took a sword, next thing you know
    She got LOWLOWLOWLOWLOWLOWLOWLOW

Rap videos would be a lot more interesting if the women were a bit more swole.

Fawst
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    I'll be streaming my first playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line in about 15-20 minutes or so on my Twitch channel (in case anyone is interested in stopping by for a bit <3).

So I finally a chance to stop by and say hi.... "Offline" Oh well, hope you have fun there Bery,

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    CroakerBC
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Yay, it's a new month, Steam thread! That means I can start abusing my bandwidth again.

Because I definitely don't buy, download and install games and then look at my library indecisively before just playing Marvel Heroes again. Nope.

KoopahTroopahPA DallasRadiationTalus9952ElvenshaeBlackbird SR-71C
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have been meaning to download DotA 2 for the past 3 months.

One day.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

One day.

Not worth it. Play League, its a supremely better game

wbBv3fj.png
    KoopahTroopah
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

One day.

I wouldn't bother unless you intend to dedicate yourself whole-hog to it. DOTA is not a game one can dabble in; if you aren't going to commit, then you'll never get enough out of it to make it worth the time it took to download.

Drovek
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Papers Please is fucking hard.

Not if you do your job comrade

wbBv3fj.png
    KalnaurStolls
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

One day.

I wouldn't bother unless you intend to dedicate yourself whole-hog to it. DOTA is not a game one can dabble in; if you aren't going to commit, then you'll never get enough out of it to make it worth the time it took to download.

Well I mean, you can be a horrible person like me and play about one game a month as something dumb like roaming Drow Ranger.

But yeah, outside of maybe Awesomenauts MOBA's are something you have to sit down and learn.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I think the Dead Island and Magicka mobas are pretty casual friendly.

Yeah, though mostly because they're really on the edge as far as what would constitute a MOBA (because it's a broad and shittily defined genre). I don't think I'd honestly describe the Magicka one as a MOBA. It's just PVP magicka, there's no internal progression system or base pushing or anything.

DrakeRoyceSraphim
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Sure, but they capture what is immediately engaging about games like DOTA and LoL, and that's the teamfights.

Albino Bunny
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

One day.

Not worth it. Play League, its a supremely better game

This is an ignorant statement, since they're both extremely similar. I'd wager playing with little knowledge of either game would warrant the same result. From both the communities and the games themselves.
    Houn wrote: »

One day.

I'd agree with this, it's definitely a "you get out what you put in" kind of game. There are tutorials to get you up and running in an hour or so though. The rest of the game comes from playing the different heroes with different items and learning what those heroes/items do, what works best, what meshes together, etc...

GethDrakeSumanai
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    That's pretty much why I've never got DOTA. The PC gaming scene is so alive with so many things that I'd be doing myself a disservice by not dabbling in as many varied experiences as reasonably possible.

I know enough about it to enjoy a good live-stream, but that's about it.

This is how I feel about most competitive games though, so don't take this as just saddling DOTA. I've been enjoying Quakecon 2014 matches of Quake Live for the same reason.

steam_sig.png
    RoyceSraphimElvenshae
    I will continue to recommend Awesomenauts to anyone who looks at MOBA's and goes 'can I have one of those I can understand in an hour or two'.

Also the Dead Island MOBA/shooter/RPG progression BS thing is great if you have friends to form a team. Otherwise I found it frustrating because it runs into that problem of the game mode being too complicated for pubs to plan with no voice.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Big thank you to @Anime toast or whoever you are on the forums for the Lovely Planet!

xiearsIoloPixelated PixieBeryllineBroncbusterHyphyKezzyTalus9952ElvenshaeStollsKoopahTroopahan_altHeirTransparentDoctorArchZilla360Krummith
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular

One day.

I downloaded DotA 2 only because I got items for it during the Christmas sale. I have never played it because I feel intimidated by it. If I want to be screamed at by 13-year-olds because I have no idea what I'm doing, I have a perfectly good Xbox sitting right over there.

IoloRadiationJazzElvenshaeDyasAlureKoopahTroopah
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Ossu and good even' Steam Thread!

i have just trounced the wicked and eeeevil Handsome Sorcerer from BL2's Tiny Tina DLC (and at a highly digetically implausible time, but i'm glad i did it now, instead of waiting until the postgame of this, second playthrough, but i digress).

Anyhow, i've been thinking...instead of running though the rest of True Vault Hunter Mode, of maybe starting a new character playthrough, so i'll have a bit more range if i ever actually get around to playing co-op.

So, i've kinda had my eye on either a Gaige or Krieg run, but i can't make up my mind as to which. And so i fob off my responsibilities to you, PA/ST.

Murder Hobo, or Deranged Paingeneer? You make the Call!

First and/or most interesting answer gets a metaphorical cookie.

Danke.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
    IoloTalus9952Elvenshae
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I cannot explain enough how awesome it is in Floris to be able to choose to play as yourself or as a companion. It literally makes everything better and is something the next Mount and Blade should have.

Specializing already makes sense, but now you can take them into battle and level them up faster. Furthermore, you can now use their abilities selectively in battle against the enemies they are strongest against. Need your archer companions stronger? Start taking down forest and taiga bandits and seas raiders as those characters and level up their combat skills. Need better melee? Horsemen are on the horizon and you're in the saddle.

I have actually gotten to the point to where I am cautious in tournaments about them getting paired with their specialty and *THWACK*

You have been eliminated from this round

Improved tournaments rock as well.

Elvenshae
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    So Sacred 3 is apparently a complete disaster and nothing like the previous two games:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/01/sacred-3-review/

I almost bought it because the trailer looked awesome...then I checked the steam forum and found that link.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    IoloJazz
    Invisible wrote: »

One day.

I downloaded DotA 2 only because I got items for it during the Christmas sale. I have never played it because I feel intimidated by it. If I want to be screamed at by 13-year-olds because I have no idea what I'm doing, I have a perfectly good Xbox sitting right over there.

Just grab some PA guys honestly.

I wouldn't play DOTA solo either.

KoopahTroopah
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So Sacred 3 is apparently a complete disaster and nothing like the previous two games:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/01/sacred-3-review/

I almost bought it because the trailer looked awesome...then I checked the steam forum and found that link.

It is actually a lot of fun, sure it isn't like the old ones but that does not make it automatically a bad game

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    http://www.macgamestore.com/product/3287/Might-Magic-X-Legacy-Deluxe-Edition/

Macgamestore has, for whatever reason, decided to be the bastion of Might and Magic X deals. 7.49 for deluxe (comes with all of the DLC so far and M&M6). Steam key.

Lindsay LohanTalus9952ElvenshaeEd GrubermanIoloKrummith
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Just got a notice saying 'Steam has finished downloading SteamVR' - anyone know more about this?

HyphyKezzyElvenshae
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

You totally can't tell, but I have a look on my face when I get people to try something totally awesome that I like, and then they end up loving it.

I like to call it my "I has a smug" face.

As in:

wth4aZw.png?1

And if I'm a jerk, Pixie, you're a big, pink, generous meanie-head. :smile:

I just consider it partial payment back for all the cool games you guys got me to try and love. Now I can load up your backlogs with fun stuff you never would have tried otherwise! MUAHAHAHA!

But anyways, I finished Loren tonight. Three words about the ending, because I refuse to spoil it:

All. The. Feels. If you aren't shedding a tear, then you might want to see if you're not Geth.

Honestly, you have to go back and keep playing it- you always feel like you missed something, and you're usually right. There's not that much out there like it, but for what it is, it's awesome- you're going to like some characters more than others, but Loren is one of my favorite female characters I've stumbled across in a long, long time. She's just fun to read, and even more fun to watch interact with the outside world- think bull in a china shop. The dialogue's corny in some places, but it fits. Oh, gods, does it fit.

Hopefully I'll have the expansion tonight, because it'll give me a reason to make an Elenor run-through of the game that much sooner.

Just give it a chance to grow on you, and you'll like it if you like that sort of thing.

Oh, and did I mention Winter Wolves is already hard at work on a sequel? Which they will have my monies for Day 1, more than likely?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Pixelated Pixiean_alt
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular

One day.

Just grab some PA guys honestly.

I wouldn't play DOTA solo either.

I've played it solo and didn't mind it at all. Actually I enjoyed it. The random people I played with were not rude or hateful, so it might be the small sample size, but it was fun for a newbie like me!

Drake
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I spent a portion of my my evening last night mounting my friends. It was quite enjoyable.

The only complaint I have is sort of the Tetris issue where you play and play and get to a good score and lose, but then you have to start all over from the beginning again and it feels like it takes forever to start to become a challenge again. But still, weiners.

Kalnaur
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I spent a portion of my my evening last night mounting my friends. It was quite enjoyable.

The only complaint I have is sort of the Tetris issue where you play and play and get to a good score and lose, but then you have to start all over from the beginning again and it feels like it takes forever to start to become a challenge again. But still, weiners.

I misread that as mourning my friends and was quite shocked that you found it enjoyable until I read it again

I spent most of last night modding Skyrim and I must have messed up because it looked like crap when I had finished :(

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
    CroakerBCSmokeStacksElvenshaeTeeMan
  • RayinerRayiner Registered User regular

One day.

I might help you with some basics, just let me know.

Invisible
  • BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Berylline wrote: »
    I'll be streaming my first playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line in about 15-20 minutes or so on my Twitch channel (in case anyone is interested in stopping by for a bit <3).

So I finally a chance to stop by and say hi.... "Offline" Oh well, hope you have fun there Bery,

Thanks for trying to stop in! I just played for two hours. This is the kind of game I can only handle in small portions. I'm only about a third of the way through though, so I'll be continuing next week around the same time.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So we just left DirecTV. We had the optional equipment update package which meant I didn't have to send them back any of the equipment. Is there any good reason to not open the directv box, pull out the 500gb harddrive, reformat it and fill it full of games?

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Humble Bundle links:

Deus Ex: GOTY Edition

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Pretty rubbish for a first giveaway on the thread, but hopefully there is at least one person out there who doesn't have either of these yet!

IsornHyphyKezzyrikdalyJazzTalus9952DrovekCroakerBCSoundsPlushElvenshaeStollsKristmas KthulhuBeryllineBrutal JKoopahTroopahKarozan_altHeirTransparentZilla360Krummith
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Humble Bundle links:

Deus Ex: GOTY Edition

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Pretty rubbish for a first giveaway on the thread, but hopefully there is at least one person out there who doesn't have either of these yet!

I'd argue that giving away Deus Ex 1 is always great and you can never go wrong with that. It is a game everyone should have really.

rikdalyHyphyKezzyJazzDrovekCroakerBCSoundsPlushElvenshaeDrakeStolls
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    there is no such thing as a bad giveaway unless it involves rats

steam_sig.png
    ElvenshaeTeeMan
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »

Even then....

PSN: jfrofl
    ElvenshaeDyasAlure
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I remember it took a year before I accepted mine.

Desert Gunner is also on the terrible games list.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

/crosses @Lindsey Lohan‌ off the list of potential co-op friends.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Ed Gruberman
This discussion has been closed.