As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread: Holy cow this 2K sale is the real deal

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    there is no such thing as a bad giveaway unless it involves rats

What about large Japanese swords?

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    all I can say is I've witnessed the horror that is Bad Rats myself, I still can't believe some people here got all the achievements

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I refuse to even install Bad Rats. It went straight into my "ignore these games forever" category.

I don't even care that it has cards. I wouldn't farm them to sell them even if they were worth a few bucks - every card sale on the market generates more money for the devs and they should not be getting rewarded.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    KalnaurHiT BiTIoloMrVyngaard
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So we just left DirecTV. We had the optional equipment update package which meant I didn't have to send them back any of the equipment. Is there any good reason to not open the directv box, pull out the 500gb harddrive, reformat it and fill it full of games?

It's been a while since I worked for DirecTV so I don't remember much, but depending on the model of DVR the drive will most likely have PUIS active on a firmware level instead of a jumper, and if so you'll have to use software to disable it in the configuration sector depending on the manufacturer of the drive.

The drives used in DTV DVRs when I was there were generally Western Digitals at 5400RPM (to reduce heat).

It's certainly doable.

an_altcooljammer00
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Alternately, you may just be able to eBay the whole DVR for more cash than a 500gb 5400rpm hard drive alone would cost you.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I already checked - it's only like $50ish on ebay and shipping would be a pain in the neck. Actually it works out super well - we had the cable guy stop by today since our new cable was choppy and he highly recommended we replace our aging wireless router given the stupid amount of stuff we have connected to it. The one I'm looking at has a USB port for network storage so I think I'm going to put the drive in my extra usb hd enclosure thingy and use it to house my music library so everyone can access it anywhere in the house. We're picking it up tonight.

Kind of sucks to have to buy a new router though...I can think of toys/games I'd much rather be buying :)

ElvenshaeIolo
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    BroncbusterDrovekJazzrikdalyxiearsCorsiniTalus9952Elvenshaef3rretHyphyKezzyStollsBeryllineKoopahTroopahKarozIoloLostNinjaan_altDoodmannKrummith
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I will continue to recommend Awesomenauts to anyone who looks at MOBA's and goes 'can I have one of those I can understand in an hour or two'.

Also the Dead Island MOBA/shooter/RPG progression BS thing is great if you have friends to form a team. Otherwise I found it frustrating because it runs into that problem of the game mode being too complicated for pubs to plan with no voice.

I can say with confidence that I can load up Awesomenauts for a round, maybe two, and have my fill and the game is fine with that. So as casual MOBAs go, that's a good indication. ;)

Borderlands is fun. I doubt I'll put in a consecutive playthrough in New Game +, but that's due to how many games I have to play, not a commentary on the enjoyability of the game. I'll go back to new game+ any games I've already played once I get, say, halfway or more through my mammoth list of games.

Also, I have found I prefer scoped firearms.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

Apparently, I received a coupon for 50% off Fist of Awesome some time during the night. I am not interested, but if you are, message me on Steam and I'll hand it off to you.

steam_sig.png

Elvenshae
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    So, i've kinda had my eye on either a Gaige or Krieg run, but i can't make up my mind as to which. And so i fob off my responsibilities to you, PA/ST.

Murder Hobo, or Deranged Paingeneer? You make the Call!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zNk8kM2Qj0

s7Imn5J.png
    KalnaurPixelated PixieElvenshae
    Gaige really is the best thing ever.

"I'm getting a god complex. AND I LIKE IT!"

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    SoundsPlushElvenshaeJaysonFourTeeManMrMiscreant
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    don'treload don'treload don'treload

s7Imn5J.png
    Pixelated PixieIolo
    "So inaccurate but so awesome!"

"If I don't shoot, repair, or screw something in the next few minutes, we're gonna have a problem."

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    SoundsPlushDrovekJazzElvenshae
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Whoa, since when did Valve integrate a music player into Steam? I just noticed it the other day.

<3<3<3

EvmaAlsar
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So Sacred 3 is apparently a complete disaster and nothing like the previous two games:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/01/sacred-3-review/

I almost bought it because the trailer looked awesome...then I checked the steam forum and found that link.

It is actually a lot of fun, sure it isn't like the old ones but that does not make it automatically a bad game

Yeah, most of that review was just "I wanted a re-skinned Diablo game, and this game was not a re-skinned Diablo game, so it is a bad game"

If I look at what he's written and not his conclusions, I'm actually tempted to buy it. You know, when it shows up on a steam sale. I'm not $50 worth of tempted.

KalnaurMrVyngaard
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'm partial to Axton. "Hey, stand in front of this!"
    "Bad guys zero, turret a whooooole bunch!"
    "You get a bullet, and you get a bullet, EVERYBODY GETS A BULLET!"

And when he gets the modulator, something like:
    "I sound like a giant douche - great."

It helps that he shares a VO with the WarMage from Orcs Must Die!.

And a quick search for the Axton as Jack quote led me here, which is great.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/17aq7w/snagasound_borderlands_audio_sample_requests/

camo_sig2.png
    ElvenshaeIolodarklite_x
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I might have to delay todays pinball FX stream for a couple of weeks, I don't think my wife's in tonight so I'll have to be listening out for our daughter and she likes waking up a lot at the minute. Next weekend I'm off to Bloodstock festival where I will get to watch the mighty Carcass!!! I should be able to stream it the weekend after that all going well

steam_sig.png
    DrakeJazzKristmas KthulhuIolo
    Speaking of pinball - anyone have a chance to try the Guardians table yet? Worth the $$? I haven't really gotten the Dr. Strange one to click yet...

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I might have to delay todays pinball FX stream for a couple of weeks, I don't think my wife's in tonight so I'll have to be listening out for our daughter and she likes waking up a lot at the minute. Next weekend I'm off to Bloodstock festival where I will get to watch the mighty Carcass!!! I should be able to stream it the weekend after that all going well

Speaking of Bloodstock, I saw Evil Scarecrow a few weeks back - do NOT miss them, they're ace.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have been meaning to download DotA 2 for the past 3 months.

One day.

Not worth it. Play League, its a supremely better game

This is an ignorant statement, since they're both extremely similar. I'd wager playing with little knowledge of either game would warrant the same result. From both the communities and the games themselves.

No, from the art design to the item and game structure design, DotA is just behind League. Sure there are people who will like it, but some people like 3e better than 4e and they're just as wrong about whether or not 3e is better designed than 4e as people who say DotA is a better game than League. Aegeri will get hung up on those things in DotA if he plays both.

wbBv3fj.png
    CorsiniKoopahTroopah
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Chris: Waffle king

GAIGE! GAIGE! GAIGE! GAIGE!

Pixelated PixieSoundsPlushBerylline
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gaige is great because combat just becomes a matter of unleashing chaos and crossing your fingers and hoping that when the dust settles, the bad guys are more dead than you are.

Pixelated PixieSoundsPlushElvenshae
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I spent a portion of my my evening last night mounting my friends. It was quite enjoyable.

/crosses @Lindsey Lohan‌ off the list of potential co-op friends.

/adds @Lindsey Lohan to list of potential co-op friends...

PSN: jfrofl
    jclastKalnaurSmokeStacksLindsay LohanJazzTalus9952BroncbusterIoloan_alt
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Can someone give me a spoiler free idea of how much longer the main campaign in Saint's Row 3 is? The last things I've done are:
    Blown up the aircraft carrier and beat Matt Miller in his arcade game that had me play part of it as a toilet with a cannon.

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

One day.

This is an ignorant statement, since they're both extremely similar. I'd wager playing with little knowledge of either game would warrant the same result. From both the communities and the games themselves.

No, from the art design to the item and game structure design, DotA is just behind League. Sure there are people who will like it, but some people like 3e better than 4e and they're just as wrong about whether or not 3e is better designed than 4e as people who say DotA is a better game than League. Aegeri will get hung up on those things in DotA if he plays both.

That certainly is an opinion.

minor incidentKalnaurKristmas KthulhuSumanaishdwcasterCorsiniKoopahTroopahDhalphirMrMiscreant
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    Can someone give me a spoiler free idea of how much longer the main campaign in Saint's Row 3 is? The last things I've done are:
    Blown up the aircraft carrier and beat Matt Miller in his arcade game that had me play part of it as a toilet with a cannon.

It's been a while since I played, but I think that's roughly half-way?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    f3rret

One day.

You are familiar with the concept of subjectivity, right bro?

DrakeKalnaurSoundsPlushSniperGuySumanaiKoopahTroopahDhalphirHeirTransparent
    edited August 2014
    Mount Your Friends is deceptively simple. You start just kind of flailing around and then your tower grows and you start to think the game might be too easy. Then you realize as the tower starts to veer left or right that you now have areas that are really tricky to get around and then you get those turns where you just can't get momentum going and the clock is constantly ticking. It's really pretty fun despite the fact that starting from person one is super frustrating.

It's funny as hell in action too - I would actually set up a stream tonight but we've declared it "board game till midnight night".

Lindsay Lohan on
    Iolo
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Lets not MOBA thread up the steam thread guys.

The MOBA thread gets tiring enough with between game complaining.

ElvenshaeKoopahTroopahIolo
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Gaige was cool and all I guess, but don't you want do 8 figures of ax damage, causing an enemy to explode in a ball of blood and fire "(bloodslode" if you will) starting a chain reaction of bloodsplotions of all the enemies around you. Or would you like to bounce in and our of fight fire your life, tossing dynamite at enemies before raising a fistful over your head in a glorious explosion wipes out the mob around you and brings you back to life.

TL;DR - AX! DYNAMITE! BLOODSPLOSIONS OF LIFE!!!! KRIEG!!!!!!

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Iolo
    Gauge was cool and all I guess, but don't you want do 8 figures of ax damage, causing an enemy to explode in a ball of blood and fire "(bloodslode" if you will) starting a chain reaction of bloodsplotions of all the enemies around you. Or would you like to bounce in and our of fight fire your life, tossing dynamite at enemies before raising a fistful over your head in a glorious explosion wipes out the mob around you and brings you back to life.

I'm not a melee player, so . . . nope! :D

But what about blasting large swaths of baddies from range or close up with elemental destruction? Or in the case of the Borderlands series, grenades, rockets, shotguns and possibly scoped automatic whatevers?

That's generally my modus operandi.

steam_sig.png

• bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    Thank you @Halfazedninja‌ for Space Asshole!*

*or Red Faction Guerrilla if you want to be technical about it.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
    KalnaurHyphyKezzyTalus9952FawstSmokeStacksIoloxiearsTeeManKrummith
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

One day.

Yes are you familiar with the concept of objectivity? Liking something which is objectively worse does not make it objectively better.

wbBv3fj.png
    Come on now, let's not goose up this fine thread with goosery.

steam_sig.png
    jclastDrovekPixelated Pixief3rretJaysonFourbloodatonementSoundsPlushJazzKalnaurElvenshaePA Dallasminor incidentSumanaiTalus9952DrakeBroncbusterKoopahTroopahIoloxiearsDhalphirStollsZilla360MrVyngaard
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Indeed, we ought to fill the air with the sounds of classassination and Gift-A-Pult launches, you know?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    PolaritieMrVyngaard
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    4e? Better than...3e? *twitch*

Guys Divinity is still great. I've done some co-op with @thekooleagle and it has been a blast, even though he is a sociopath.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Pixelated PixieJaysonFourIoloMrMiscreant
    signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Just in case somebody doesn't have these yet, for G&T members only!

steam_sig.png
    JazzHyphyKezzyJaysonFourPixelated PixieDrovekKalnaurBeryllinejclastTalus9952ReverseCreationsFawstBroncbusterSmokeStacksKarozIoloLostNinjaxiearsan_altStollsZilla360Krummith
    edited August 2014

One day.

Yes are you familiar with the concept of objectivity? Liking something which is objectively worse does not make it objectively better.
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    4e? Better than...3e? *twitch*

I do think that 4e is much better than 3e, but that's because it's the kind of system I like. It's my D&D, and that honestly should be fine. Just like some folks like LOL, some like DOTA, and some prefer Awesomenauts, while others want to play none of those games. Which are art. And art is a totally subjective experience. You can claim that a painting, a game, a piece of music is "better" but you're only doing so according to your own (or possibly someone else's) criteria. Over the ages, the musicality, artfulness or indeed even the gamish nature of media has been debated, but it will only ever be debated because in the end it's all about taste, and we all have differing tastes.

Some people prefer the days of OD&D, or of classical painting, or classical music, while others love rock and roll, or hair metal, or B-movies, or D&D 4th edition and that's fine, because they are all perfectly valid things to enjoy.

The only really invalid thing is to claim your subjective views should be everyone else's subjective views, and that's just gooseyness.

So instead, use your subjective views to tell me why I should convince my wife to buy me Orcs Must Die. Possibly all of it. ;)

Kalnaur on
    steam_sig.png

JazzKoopahTroopahLorahaloMrVyngaard
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular

Aw, man I had just come in here looking for a link to your stream. I mean, you could always just admit that you're scared about being embarrassed in front of all six of us who were going to watch because you can't handle my shit:
    0X1zVEa.jpg
    Suck it, @rikdaly‌ <3

Talus9952rikdalyHyphyKezzyIolo
  • BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Indeed, we ought to fill the air with the sounds of classassination and Gift-A-Pult launches, you know?

It looks like @JaysonFour decided I would make a good target. Thank you so much for the Loren: The Amazon Princess DLCs! <3 (The ever classy @Viking sent me the game itself during the summer sale, and I haven't gotten a chance to play it through yet.) I'll definitely bump this one up in the play-this-soon list!
    pbAJva2.jpg

GethJaysonFourTalus9952HiT BiTJazzDrakeHyphyKezzyRadiationSmokeStacksKarozIoloLostNinjaxiearsBrutal JStollsKarrde1842Zilla360Krummith
This discussion has been closed.