As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football 2015: FSU Stung, Utah In Serious Trouble

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Yikes, we're favored by 7.

Post-Carr, Michigan is 0fer against the spread against State. State's 0-6 ATS this year. Something has to give!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Sarkesian is taking a leave of absence from USC.

Did I forget the air quotes?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

After what he did to the Huskies it is a pretty big schadenfreude for me.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

After what he did to the Huskies it is a pretty big schadenfreude for me.

Yeah this is the best of all worlds here.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Sounds like maybe he's an alcoholic. Hope he can get help, it can be a life destroyer

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    For real, having schadenfreude cause a guy has a crippling addiction is pretty gross.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    For real, having schadenfreude cause a guy has a crippling addiction is pretty gross.

But I was having schadenfreude because he is failing. He can get help for the alcoholism if he wants to make the choice to do it. He has the money for it.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    which is uh

what he's doing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, one day after Sark announced that he was going to get the therapy he needed, Hayden cans his ass.

As an alumnus, let me say this - fuck you, Pat, and I hope that the school president follows this firing with yours. Because while his performance left a lot to be desired, firing the man after he finally acknowledged that he needed help is not the Trojan way.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Yeah usually they wait till sanctions are applied...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah usually they wait till sanctions are applied...

And there's the other reason I want Hayden gone - I want a new AD who will go to the NCAA and say "Hey, about all that stuff that McNair's legal team dug up - how about we start talking about how you're going to make things right..."

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Florida also announced they suspended their quarterback for testing positive to performance enhancing drugs. Not sure what NCAA sanctions might go along with that. Do they do anything retroactive to the Gators for having played with a quarterback who was doped up? Florida was on a roll but I'm not sure how much of that was Grier's play.

• Options
    There may be more to it than the drinking but if it's just that i'm going to have to agree that Hayden is an asshole.

• Options
    I guess Sark has a drinking problem going back to when he was on the Huskies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    There may be more to it than the drinking but if it's just that i'm going to have to agree that Hayden is an asshole.

I'm still sticking with Hayden being an asshole, though.

• Options
    There has to be something else because individuals have protections from things like Alcohol and not getting fired.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The question is if the actions were before or after his public intoxication.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've never heard of alcoholism being a legally protected status.

I know some employers will work with you after the first incident, with the understanding that you get help. But there have been multiple incidents reported, that came after the big one at the preseason alumni dinner.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It depends on how it is defined in your area. The American with Disabilities Act and another that I cant remember can be applied an employer needs to make reasonable accommodations for someone with a disease.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just checked on the ADA website

I bolded what I think is the relevant bit
    Q. Are alcoholics covered by the ADA?

A. Yes. While a current illegal user of drugs is not protected by the ADA if an employer acts on the basis of such use, a person who currently uses alcohol is not automatically denied protection. An alcoholic is a person with a disability and is protected by the ADA if s/he is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job. An employer may be required to provide an accommodation to an alcoholic. However, an employer can discipline, discharge or deny employment to an alcoholic whose use of alcohol adversely affects job performance or conduct. An employer also may prohibit the use of alcohol in the workplace and can require that employees not be under the influence of alcohol.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I just checked on the ADA website

I bolded what I think is the relevant bit
    Q. Are alcoholics covered by the ADA?

A. Yes. While a current illegal user of drugs is not protected by the ADA if an employer acts on the basis of such use, a person who currently uses alcohol is not automatically denied protection. An alcoholic is a person with a disability and is protected by the ADA if s/he is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job. An employer may be required to provide an accommodation to an alcoholic. However, an employer can discipline, discharge or deny employment to an alcoholic whose use of alcohol adversely affects job performance or conduct. An employer also may prohibit the use of alcohol in the workplace and can require that employees not be under the influence of alcohol.

Yeah USC might have made enough accommodations to cover themselves after the booster thing. The timing still seems weird to not have something else happen. Like what was hinted at today at some point in the day.

• Options
    Hopefully the guy can find a treatment program that works for him. That and that he actually wants to help himself

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    It's pretty fucking disgusting how many people around campus here today are happy Sark got fired for alcoholism. I understand the sour grapes after he left, but god damn people.

• Options
    Now Spurrier has 'retired'. :(

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I won't lose any sleep over that. Spurier has always bugged be beyond any reasonable level.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    It's pretty fucking disgusting how many people around campus here today are happy Sark got fired for alcoholism. I understand the sour grapes after he left, but god damn people.

Eh it's not like Sark is a mcdonalds manager, and he fucked over Washington to go do his "dream" job that he blew in less than two years. You'll forgive me if I don't feel a ton of sympathy with a rich white dude who fucked up a sure thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I think there's a difference between sympathy and happiness for a guy having serious problems.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the scummy thing on the part of USC is that LA Times article about it; that thing was sourced out the ass with bar tabs from recruiting trips, statements from ex-players, etc. The Times is a good paper so maybe they had been working on it forever anyway... but it's more likely imo that somebody at USC gave it to them. Somebody has known about Sark's issues for a while I have to assume the only reason the AD didn't deal with it until now was that they thought they had a good team and were hoping they could get through the year if they just didn't rock the boat.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    the scummy thing on the part of USC is that LA Times article about it; that thing was sourced out the ass with bar tabs from recruiting trips, statements from ex-players, etc. The Times is a good paper so maybe they had been working on it forever anyway... but it's more likely imo that somebody at USC gave it to them. Somebody has known about Sark's issues for a while I have to assume the only reason the AD didn't deal with it until now was that they thought they had a good team and were hoping they could get through the year if they just didn't rock the boat.

According to one report I read he's had the issue since at least washington which means they hired him knowing full well he had a drinking problem. Maybe he was supposed to do counseling and never did?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I think there's a difference between sympathy and happiness for a guy having serious problems.

No there isn't. What preacher said is essentially the same thing I said because at the end of it he has the problem. The main difference is that some will be happy because he was punished because of what he did while he had the problem and others will make excuses for what he did while he had the problem. So go ahead and claim a moral high road on a situation that is not even a situation anymore as the good part for Sark is he did go into a treatment facility. Now if he makes the "choice" again to not stay with it then that is on Sark not people like me who have no sympathy for him. In the end I am not "happy" because he is a drunk I am "happy" because he failed.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    bai bai steve spurrier you are a legend.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Wow...and just when I thought the handling of Sark's firing could not get worse:

• Options
    U Stay Classy!

• Options
    U Stay Classy!

You know, I'm especially pissed off over this because I'm an alumnus.

• Options
    Whether or not USC had the legal right to do it, this whole thing just stinks.

• Options
    Whether or not USC had the legal right to do it, this whole thing just stinks.

Agreed, and it's time that Nikias fires Haden, especially considering that the real reason he was hired has been rendered moot.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Wow...and just when I thought the handling of Sark's firing could not get worse:

Supposedly the reason Haden couldn't get in touch with him personally was that Sarkisian was on a plane headed to rehab.

I mean, I was dancing with joy when USC was dumb enough to hire him. But that's just stone cold.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Seriously, at least with Kiffin they waited until the plane landed to fire him. Couldn't even wait that long for Sark? Why the fuck did they have to go public with a mid-season firing at that very moment? Why not wait a few hours!? Is someone really gonna steal your next coach in that time? Get your shit together, Haden.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    U Stay Classy!

You know, I'm especially pissed off over this because I'm an alumnus.

Hey, welcome to me last year! Fortunately, I'm sure an NFL team will mysteriously fire a beloved alumnus who is also a great football coach who will fall into your lap. And also that Haden will be replaced by someone awesome.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Also a reminder that this week is the annual $5 Broken Bits of Chair Trophy game.

This discussion has been closed.