As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon] Es la hora de ORAS

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    While it's certainly possible that a Pokemon MMO could work, it's far from a sure thing - it'd be incredibly difficult and probably pretty different from what people are imagining.

When people say they that they want a Pokemon MMO, it's often accompanied with the notion of "Ugh, I don't understand why Nintendo don't just do it - they'd make tons of money!". Here's the thing - making an MMO is fucking expensive. AAA-game development is already quite expensive these days and making an MMO incurs even higher costs. Development cycles for MMOs are often longer compared to "regular" games and they obviously keep going once the game is released. Keeping a large development team employed for years with the tech needed to make an MMO, in addition to the cost of keeping your servers running and maintained is pretty damn expensive. I mean sure, a popular IP like Pokemon could make it work, but it's far from a sure thing. It can work - but it might just as well fail spectacularly.
    Another thing to keep in mind is the target audience - many Pokemon fans are kids, who probably aren't gonna drop a whole lot of money on f2p stuff or who wouldn't even be allowed to play the game at all because their parents don't want them to play a game with a monthly subscription costs.

Even if all the financial stuff works out - what would the game actually look like? Two things are important to consider here - the core gameplay and the fact that it's an MMO, not a singleplayer game.

First of all, what would the core gameplay, i.e. the combat look like? Well, not the way you're used to. Purely turn-based combat doesn't work in an MMO. Typical MMO cooldown / auto attack-based combat could work in a Pokemon setting, but is that what people want? Making an MMO is already a risky undertaking, and fundamentally changing the combat system that people have been used to for 20 years might not go over well.

The biggest hurdle, however, is the fact that an MMO typically carries tons of (necessary) conventions with it that people might not be familiar with and that probably won't work too well with the concept of Pokemon.
    Battles are typically 1-on-1 affairs in Pokemon; or 2-on-2 or 3-on-3, but either way, there's an equal number of combatants on each side. In MMOs, that won't work - there constantly are other people around. Ganging up on one Pokemon with multiple people kinds feels like it's going against the spirit of the series.

Probably the biggest hurdle would be progression. In MMOs, your character constantly get stronger - you level up and find better equipment, which you use to tackle more challenging content where you get even better equipment, which you use to tackle even more challenging content etc.
    How would you apply that to Pokemon? One of the big draws of the franchise is that you can basically make any kind of team work - you don't need the strongest Pokemon, instead you'll be totally fine if you just use your favorites. If one guy's favorite Pokemon is Pidgey, what motivation would he have to go to the Fiery Volcano dungeon to catch Groudon? Either all (or most) Pokemon are viable to use, which completely eliminates a sense of progression (and thus the main motivation to keep playing and paying), or only the best Pokemon are viable, which goes against a core concept of the franchise.

In the singleplayer games, you are the hero and the whole world revolves around you. In an MMO there are thousands of others like you - having a Shiny or a Legendary Pokemon feels a lot less special when you see 300 Groudons and 500 Shiny Charizards on a daily basis all around you.

I mean sure, PvP content would probably work - it's always been part of the franchise and wouldn't need to change all that much. But creating PvE content in a Pokemon setting on a constant basis that keeps people playing month after month? That's really, really tough.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    pirateluigiOpty
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Along similar lines, I know everyone wants a console HD Pokémon game, but there's no real incentive to Nintendo or GameFreak to make that happen. It will cost a lot more to make than a handheld game and will definitely sell fewer copies. The best we can hope for is another spin-off console game like Coliseum (which a lot of people hated, but I happened to love)

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    Well that's certainly something.

So..Gen 7 after all? I was expecting Z.

Peewi
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    But zygarde.

edited February 2016
    PLA wrote: »
    But zygarde.

If you turn the "N" at the end of "Sun" and "Moon" around by 90 degrees..

Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUph092Wyec

Maz- on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    @maz while I don't think a Pokemon mmo would happen (for a lot of reasons) I think a lot of the issues you bring up on the gameplay side are either easily solvable while maintaining Pokemon themes or fit very nicely into the mmorpg model.

I think the bigger issues are the fact that having other people around really doesn't add anything. Who cares if I can spam trade chat with my blastoise sitting next to me on top of a skyscraper in <insert city>. That doesn't really add any value. The game is almost exactly the same but now you can...I don't even know. I guess have "constant" additional content? That's the part where I agree there would be an issue. I don't really see what stories could be told within the Pokemon world that would fit an mmorpg and also fit pokemon on general.

As to the Pokemon console games, I would be fine if Pokemon stadium (thinking the n64 one because i never played any of the others) was available for modern consoles. Being able to play the cartridges at 3x speed was great and it would ideally connect online without much of an issue.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    SPAAAAAAAAAACE!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I was thinking this would be a 'Z' type announcement, certainly wasn't expecting the new gen to start on the 3DS.

Not that I'm disappointed. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Peewi
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    It'll be kinda weird if they don't do a Pokémon Z when the current anime series is called XYZ.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Is it weird that I was hoping the direct was really about Conquest 2?

Nintendo I really want a Conquest 2! :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    pirateluigi
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem pokemon
    4a4.jpg
    7bacb282086bc6836cef161e42942093.jpg
    The mashup you want!

PolaritieAndy JoecB557
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Fire Emblem pokemon
    4a4.jpg
    The mashup you want!

Aren't those last two Monster Hunter Pokemon? Felyne and all.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    TDawg
    Ah, hitec.

TamerBill wrote: »
    Fire Emblem pokemon
    4a4.jpg
    The mashup you want!

Aren't those last two Monster Hunter Pokemon? Felyne and all.

Monster Hunter Pokémon gives you a realistic Blastoise
    pokemonster_hunter_blastoise_by_arvalis-d8tqy6c.jpg

vagrant_winds
    Or the fight you do not want to encounter
    9f7e3d61175f4d0f4679b52eb09ff906.jpg

PLAvagrant_winds
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I dunno, isn't Jho weak to dragon?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    TamerBill
    I don't think that's realistic.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I look forward to sending all of my Mon to the new game only to find out that all of them are completely useless because they don't have the arbitrary pentagon like symbol /Cynic

pirateluigi
    Speaking of current Gen, registration for the Kanto Classic is open!

Polaritie wrote: »

I dunno, isn't Jho weak to dragon?

Define "weak".

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I look forward to sending all of my Mon to the new game only to find out that all of them are completely useless because they don't have the arbitrary pentagon like symbol /Cynic

I'd like to think that won't be as much of an issue now that they've implemented it and that anything from Gen 6 forward will have the same shape... But who knows, maybe it'll be an octagon!

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I'll believe Pokémon Sun/Moon is real once Nintendo actually announces something official.

But... I do kind of want it to be real. I'd take Moon version.

WotanAnubis on
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for reminding me that Kanto classics registration begins today i had completely forgotten about it.

Isn't the pentagon just a stylised map of Kalos?

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    A new gen already?

Damn, I haven't even played Omega Ruby yet.

I gotta get on the ball. Did they fix the "you have to surf everywhere" problem that one supposedly suffered from?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    A new gen already?

Damn, I haven't even played Omega Ruby yet.

I gotta get on the ball. Did they fix the "you have to surf everywhere" problem that one supposedly suffered from?

They improved it. Sharpedo surfs really fast, plus you can fly to routes now, so backtracking is much easier. I honestly didn't even notice the surfing on my playthrough.

Dr. Chaos
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Well, you can travel around with Latios/Latias. But surfing/diving is still present. Tentacool ahoy!

Repel Company plays a bigger role than the PokeBall Company. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    In the name of the moon I will punish you!
    /Moon-exclusive legendary does the Sailor Moon hand gesture.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Dr. Chaos
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Encounter rates during surfing are also lower

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    TDawg
    I would pay real money for the ability to skip the Latias/Latios "Mega" Transformation when you use the Eon flute.

GnizmoStormwatcher
    Zunde wrote: »
    I would pay real money for the ability to skip the Latias/Latios "Mega" Transformation when you use the Eon flute.

I'd love it too, but at least it's better than having to lug around a Fly pokemon all the time.

ArchsorcererZunde
    Why would they transform?

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Another gen, another anxious bout of waiting to see if Farfecth'd gets an evolution.
    I refuse to let go of the dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Mega Arcanine pls

QuantumShaddow
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Mega Kingler or Golem, imo

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Mega Ninetails.

Edit: If sun/moon are real it's clearly Mega Solrock and Mega Lunatone.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    RiokennQuantumShaddowPeewi
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Mega Eevees
    Oh and give me a ghost or fighting eevee plz k thx.
    or Steel.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Dr. ChaosQuantumShaddow
This discussion has been closed.