As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is why we need another [Feminism Thread].

1939495969799»

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    There's no reason to pooh-pooh these bear puns.

honey, you best roar up a different tree

I'm sick of you people padding tons of threads with bear posts.

That's true, it's not like the feminism thread is bären of things to speak of

editor's note: yesss german class payin' off

MadEddy
  • ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular

Smash the pawtriarchy

JohnHamGoatmonV1mMadEddy
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I hereby declare that all future feminism threads must have the Bear Force One video at least once

Signed,
    Witch-King Usagi, etc.

TheySlashThemCilla BlackCaulk Bite 6GoatmonPonyMortal SkyAnialosKochikensLord_SnotDonovan PuppyfuckerShadowenFishmanMetalbourneAlbino BunnyJaysonFourSassoriFyndirMoth 13HermanoCellotynicMadEddy
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I do find it funny the number of women that flirt with me has gone down. but the age of those who do has also gone down. I find it really weird and creepy 19 year old women flirt with me.
    As with guys flirting with me I don't know I am bad at flirting and figuring out you are flirting.

Really I do believe education is the key to smashing the patriarchy. It's going to happen overnight or sadly within our lifetime. It has made great strides in doing so.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't have any ability to tell if people are flirting with me. Just none.

TheySlashThemVivixenneHunteraDirtyDirtyVagrantcurly haired boyCilla BlackCaulk Bite 6Sweeney TomDoobhseasleepyGoatmonAistanWiseManTobesOatsKevin CristStiltsLord_SnotRhesus PositiveShadowenMr FuzzbuttSorceJaysonFourSassoriFyndirLord_AsmodeusThorn413Fig-DNullzone
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

The only time I've ever known someone was flirting with me is if a significant other points it out after the fact.

It happen pretty often apparently

No I don't.
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i feel like my parents listened to problems that fit in the boxes they had

and after a certain point, my problems didn't fit into any boxes except the ones they came in, in my head

so i've been on my own since

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    one time I realized I had been flirted with like 2 years after the fact

it was satisfying to finally go "oh! that's what that was!"

GvzbgulEvilCakeLegbaJayKaosInfamyDeferred
    I do after the fact. In real time I maybe can tell.

Lord_Snot
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

that explains a lot

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Smash the pawtriarchy

oh come on

what was that pun fur?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Dubh wrote: »

that explains a lot

I also don't know how to interpret this post!

DoobhDirtyDirtyVagrantGoatmon
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

This is I'm sure a lot more common than many are willing to admit.

Donovan Puppyfucker
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I am flirting with all of you always.

Just a big inappropriate perpetuation of awkward winks, dad jokes and slightly-too-enthusiastic laughs.

Blake TEvilCakeShen
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    A then-stranger flirted with me for almost a full hour nonstop before I realized he was flirting with me. We've been dating for months ever since, but I'm still just completely oblivious to flirting. It's good to know that that's shared by much more people than I thought.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I am flirting with all of you always.

Just a big inappropriate perpetuation of awkward winks, dad jokes and slightly-too-enthusiastic laughs.

And I am entirely okay with that because you sir are a hunky beast.

Veldrin
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I am a crybaby. I make people distressed when I cry, and I hate that because I'd rather not.
    I once spent 6pm to 1am dealing with AT&T calmly and patiently over a $100+ mistake they made concerning our accounts. We had both put similar hours into it on previous days and I just gave up.
    I called my brother and he raged at them while I cried amid discussing it, knowing full well the horrors people were facing internationally at the moment, and how irrational my crying was.

VayBJ4e.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Goodnight Feminism thread.

I will be sad if we don't get another one soon.

Until then, remember to keep smashing the beartriarchy.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Dubh wrote: »

Smash the pawtriarchy

oh come on

what was that pun fur?

fine fine, maul the pawtriarchy, that work?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    bears smash the patriarchy too

Really I find it sad that I really have no one to talk about my problems or in general other than here.
    I try to find friends and people to hang out with but working nights and having certain days off makes this really hard.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Careful, too many bear puns will push us out of the Goldilocks zone.

MadEddy
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i hope we get another trans thread soon.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    JaysonFour
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    are certain threads not able to be remade at 100 pages?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I already need another feminism thread with great ursusncy.

DirtyDirtyVagrantknitdanShadowenUsagiJaysonFourV1mWiseManTobesMadEddy
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I would've thought the feminism thread was one of the ones that got a free pass on repeats?

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    I know Geth has the quote in the steam thread it will be renewed at 100 with Obey
    but that is the only thread I have seen with the renew

You're going to hell.

Darth WaiterGoatmon

You're going to hell.

A lovely change from what I currently deal with

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Honestly, the need is quite major.

LegbaShadowenMadEddyGoatmon
    like, as far as i know from G&T when you hit 100 pages someone just quotes the original OP and boom, new thread

RxI0N.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    There are plenty of ongoing threads in SE itself.

Webcomics, superheroes, wrestling, Giant Bomb, ponies, homestuck, movies...

LockedOnTarget on
    Etchwarts
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I think we should take all these bear puns as ursine that this thread is ready to be locked.

VivixenneJohnHamDonovan Puppyfucker
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Viv's posts have been interesting and will probably help me go to bed in a better mood than I would have.

other random thoughts: my older son is now almost 13 and the babby is going on 11 months. The older boy was born a week or so after I turned 21 and despite the rather small age gap the thing that sticks out with me most is how different his world is. Of course he is also (thankfully) growing up in Seattle while I grew up in the ass end of nowhere woods across the water.

anyway, in terms of differences, one that really sticks out is the boy has no capacity for violence. The ability to endure, live around and (yes) inflict some degree of violence was very much a Thing when I was a kid. For my son it is not. There are probably a lot of people (the kind who trained themselves for the fake-marines by jumping off their roof onto a trampoline) who think of this as "kids today are sissies, not tough like we were" (blech). But I know that I would be just as ill adapted to his world as he would be to mine.

edit: in case it wasn't clear I see this as a change for the better.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Hacksaw
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This one is not on recycle, no.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    V1m
    I wonder if it's too early for another trans thread.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    One thing I'll give my parents credit for is they did not raise me with the notion that "boys don't cry".

My dad was of the view that "Men who repress their emotions go insane", and pointed out that historically it was considered manly to cry and show emotion because it meant you gave a shit and that all this stiff upper lip holding it in shit was uptight garbage of lesser men who were always afraid of their position relative to others.

This is how I would want to raise my sons, most definitely. Your dad is awesome right there.

Viv this ain't the sims you can't influence the sex of your kids!

JUST WATCH ME

THROUGH SHEER FORCE OF WILL

but no for real I'd also raise my DAUGHTERS with this thought because I want them to know that good men don't act like uptight garbage

I don't see the AFL having female players for a long fucking time, so you guys will have to have at least one boy that can go on to captain the Cats...

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Now if you'll excuse me I have to make sex between two large bull men look good.

Add in some low, guttural growls, please.
    A hand wrapped around a wrist
    Eyes in the darkened room burning as they stare into each other
    Sweat sheen and whispered words that cause the hair on the back of the neck to stand up
    Cheek to cheek and muscles straining
    A bite, a slap, a punch

...fuck where is my hitachi?

please

@vsove knows that bull-men don't whisper
    they huff out low, guttural growls in their constant fight for dominance,
    battling for power while tasting each others sweat, all teeth and tongue
    furniture straining and groaning under their weight and struggle almost as loud as they do

MetalbourneSorceUsagiCaulk Bite 6PonyGoatmonMadEddyAnialos
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    oh well thats a good place to end this thread i think!

MetalbourneAndy JoeUsagiGoatmonAnialos
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Mental health also needs feminism because there are mental health conditions that affect women that women do not get diagnosed with because they are not "feminine".

For example, autism spectrum disorders.

[...]

Why didn't she get diagnosed with Asperger's earlier? Well, because women aren't autistic, they're "quirky", they're "anxious", they're "depressed". They're manic pixie dream girls! They're free spirits! No, they've got fucking autism, jesus christ get them some help.

This may not be hitting the Patriarchy's small thermal exhaust port, but it's a story of how I (almost inadvertently) helped my sister avoid this fate.

I am diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, although subtleties in the requirements for AS lead both my Mother and Me to think it's more likely I have high functioning autism, like the fact I didn't start speaking coherent sentences until I was almost four, and I lack anxiety surrounding social situations, just a disinterest in them. I'd say I'm an introvert, but like Pony I'm more conscious of labels these days, so I'll say I have a preference of keeping to myself and I'm not interested in going out very often. I've been described as a "textbook" case of autism, because I apparently had a tick besides just about every point on the checklist.

Spoiler'd Tangent about autism:
    There's a fascinating game/psyche test for Autism, the Sally-Anne test. With dolls, you roleplay out a story where "Sally" has a marble she keeps in one of three boxes, and while she's out of the room "Anne" moves the marble into a different box, and then you ask the person being tested when Sally comes back, where will she look for her marble first? Most normal people will say "the box she put it in", because they understand that Sally has no knowledge of Anne's actions. However someone likely to have Autism would say "the box that it is in", even though Sally couldn't know where the marble actually is.

Why? Because many people with autism have no in-built ability to differentiate between what they know and what other people know, so can't comprehend that Sally doesn't know which box it's in because they know it's there. This is partly why people with autism make poor liars: Hard to deceive someone if you believe they already know the truth. It can also be why communication is difficult for some people, and while it's is a trait that one can learn to overcome, I've still fallen prey to situations where I think I've communicated clearly but left stuff out.

Anyway, in my secondary school years, I formed a bond with my youngest sister, ten years and nine days younger than me. In a way, she was the opposite of me, bubbly and chatty and up for talking to people. Around the age of seven or so, she started having mood swings, and a reluctance to explain herself. These would occur every now and then, and by the time she was eight she would also act out, and this stressed my parents out to no end.

So shortly after I had wrapped up my A Level exams and after such a mood swing, we were shooting the breeze together and, I'm still not sure how it happened, she ended up explaining what was eating her: It was some conflict at school with other girls, relatively tame stuff. I asked her why she didn't tell Mum and Dad, and she said she doesn't like to worry them or bother them or raise a fuss. That struck a chord with me: One of my personal hangups as a child was communicating my problems and desires to my parents for the fear of inconveniencing them or making a fuss, and there's at least one incident directly linked to my autism that they dropped pursuit of at my insistence, and even after this my sister still has this trait more intensely than I did.

So with her permission, I relayed what she told me to my Mum, and noted it was like how I used to be. That apparently got Mum thinking: She later told me there were other similarities between me and my sister that I hadn't picked up on, and maybe she had Aspergers? (At the time we still thought I had that) Well she took my sister to a psychologist and because of first hand experience of raising me she was able to explain her suspicions about my Sister. The Psychologist assessed her and agreed, so my Sister had a diagnosis too. This allowed Mum to help her develop coping strategies for her anxieties, which I think saved a lot of stress and grief in those potentially vicious teenage years. Not that there wasn't any, but they could deal with it better.

(Also, Mum took this awareness and directed it at my older brother, and while he hasn't been diagnosed we're pretty sure he has Aspergers as well, which I think the mere knowledge of has been beneficial to him. She thinks she never picked up on it before because he appeared normal growing up, and any red flags his early childhood may have raised were dwarfed by my own.)

So yeah, that's the time I helped my Sister almost by accident.

ShadowenBrovid HasselsmofpimentoPsykomaCaulk Bite 6CalicaLord_AsmodeusMadEddyCorehealerAnialosGoatmon
This discussion has been closed.