As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Deals] Thread: Stuff for the Stuff God!

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Best Buy has a bunch of games on sale today only at Black Friday or better prices for my Best Buy members (free to sign up). Someone was looking for Nier deals, it’s part of this sale for $19.99

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Walmart just made Black Friday deals available online now. I snagged the Xbox deal I wanted, delivered December 2 and I don’t have to even think about braving the crowds now.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I was thinking of buying a Switch during the Black Friday sales but I heard that there's two different Switches being offered when it comes to recent updates to the battery and/or hardware. Is there a way to know which of the available Switches for the sales is the better one?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying a Switch during the Black Friday sales but I heard that there's two different Switches being offered when it comes to recent updates to the battery and/or hardware. Is there a way to know which of the available Switches for the sales is the better one?

Two ways.

1) Look at the product code. Original (lower battery life) Switch has product code "HAC-001" whereas the newer one is "HAC-001(-01)"
    2) Look at the box (should also combine this with method 1 above to make sure your Switch hasn't been tampered with). Older Switch has white space on the box, newer Switch has no white space (all the white space was replaced with red on the newer box).

EDIT - the caveat being the bundle boxes. Mario Kart 8 bundles are all the original (older) run of Switches.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Two ways.

1) Look at the product code. Original (lower battery life) Switch has product code "HAC-001" whereas the newer one is "HAC-001(-01)"
    2) Look at the box (should also combine this with method 1 above to make sure your Switch hasn't been tampered with). Older Switch has white space on the box, newer Switch has no white space (all the white space was replaced with red on the newer box).

Thanks!

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Another easy way: Is it the Mario Kart 8 bundle? It's the old Switch.

Edit: Whoops, didn't catch that was added in the edit.

Opty on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

The long short of it honestly is there are no deals on switches . I want one for just mario kart and Mario party but can never justify the cost. Even on black Friday. Nintendo sucks for deals.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

The long short of it honestly is there are no deals on switches . I want one for just mario kart and Mario party but can never justify the cost. Even on black Friday. Nintendo sucks for deals.
    Kohl’s has a non-MK8 bundle for $330 with $90 back in Kohl’s Cash. No indication on whether it is the updated Switch or not, but it’s a higher likelihood since it is not the MK8 bundle.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Basically everyone has already started their "Black Friday" sales, so have at it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's just another 'holiday' to package and sell now. The actual meaning has been lost like the Aztecs.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Every year people start looking for deals earlier and earlier. So yeah it's still a madhouse on Thanksgiving and BF but the entire week or two run up is crazy now

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hmm, I bought AC: Osyssey on disc earlier this year on sale. Never opened it. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just grab the complete version through PSN...

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Good, ruin black Friday and Thanksgiving sales forever so we can go back to being closed on Thanksgiving.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    This year has Thanksgiving as late in the month as possible, so I think companies are popping Black Friday stuff early to counteract that. The last time this happened was in 2013: does anyone remember if they did the same thing back then?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Walmart just made Black Friday deals available online now. I snagged the Xbox deal I wanted, delivered December 2 and I don’t have to even think about braving the crowds now.

Update: FedEx says this is arriving at my house this Friday. Huge, if true. Would mean it will be in my possession faster than what I most likely would have accomplished on foot. What a time to be alive.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Amazon has PS4 Spider-Man GotY Edition for $15 and Horizon Zero Dawn Complete for $10.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Amazon has PS4 Spider-Man GotY Edition for $15 and Horizon Zero Dawn Complete for $10.

Thanks for mentioning this! I had ordered Spiderman from Best Buy earlier, but now I don't have to go pick it up. :mrgreen:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    This year has Thanksgiving as late in the month as possible, so I think companies are popping Black Friday stuff early to counteract that. The last time this happened was in 2013: does anyone remember if they did the same thing back then?

I was thinking about that, and I wonder if it isn't tied together somehow.

Like, I realized my PSN+ membership was going to run out this weekend. "Oh well, I'll just not have it for a week and get it next weekend instead", but then Sony had their BF deals start up a few days ago instead, and whelp, guess I have PSN+ for another year without a gap.

It might be a coincidence, or tied to a ton of other things, but it wouldn't surprise me if the disparity had some impact? Not that waiting 53 weeks instead of 52 is really all that big a deal.

It also makes me feel a little less crazy for thinking BF was this weekend.

... I have all kinds of other reasons to feel crazy, but at least that isn't one of them anymore.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

Update: FedEx says this is arriving at my house this Friday. Huge, if true. Would mean it will be in my possession faster than what I most likely would have accomplished on foot. What a time to be alive.

Update #2: I can't help but let you all know, that this order is now scheduled for deliver this Wednesday. There is a good chance of a big snow storm Monday night/Tuesday morning so we'll see how that affects things. But hah! Screw shopping in stores forever, I'm all good here.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Amazon has the PS4 Pro for $299 right now.

@The Dude With Herpes

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting that the PS5 is scheduled to be released at the end of next year, and it is supposed to be backwards-compatible.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Thanks for the heads up on HZD Complete. I wanted to get the dlc.

• Options

Update #2: I can't help but let you all know, that this order is now scheduled for deliver this Wednesday. There is a good chance of a big snow storm Monday night/Tuesday morning so we'll see how that affects things. But hah! Screw shopping in stores forever, I'm all good here.

Good god, they’ve updated the shipping to deliver tomorrow. This is getting ridiculous.

• Options

Good god, they’ve updated the shipping to deliver tomorrow. This is getting ridiculous.

Snowstorm slowed them down just enough that the transfer to my local delivery truck didn’t happen in time. So tomorrow it is then. Still a week earlier than first estimated which I was fine with anyhow.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    As an fyi, if anyone is looking for a switch, the battery difference is not 0 but its also not the end of the world (3-6 vs 4.5-9). And if, like me, you mostly play docked there's no reason to avoid the original model if its a good deal.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The old Switches are the extremely hackable ones, right?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Meh, I'm not a portable player. Like, never. This is good information to have if you are, though.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I mean, the Switch is more than capable as a traditional console. The portability is just an added bonus, given the quality of games like BotW.

So yeah, if you never take it around then it's probably a good deal even if it's the old one.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I think it also comes down to the library. End of the day I'm just more interested in PS4 exclusives than Nintendo.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The old Switches are the extremely hackable ones, right?

Only the super old ones. They did have a revision a few months in that removed the hardware exploit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Ketar wrote: »
    Amazon has the PS4 Pro for $299 right now.

@The Dude With Herpes

Thanks for letting me know about that. It's still 299 if anyone is interested. I went back and forth for a bit but ultimately decided I could wait until we get more details/price of the PS5. If it really is backward compatible, my current PS4 is fully functional and that $300 will be better used next year. And if it's not BC, I'm sure the Pro will drop in price eventually anyway, if not have deals in the future.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Can't find any deals for Ys 8 on PS4 or DQXI S.

God has forsaken me.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    As an fyi, if anyone is looking for a switch, the battery difference is not 0 but its also not the end of the world (3-6 vs 4.5-9). And if, like me, you mostly play docked there's no reason to avoid the original model if its a good deal.

Getting stiffed with the inferior model makes it a bad deal by definition. If price is the ONLY factor, get a Lite. If you care about the features, don't buy the old one to help them get it off shelves.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

Getting stiffed with the inferior model makes it a bad deal by definition. If price is the ONLY factor, get a Lite. If you care about the features, don't buy the old one to help them get it off shelves.

i'm not sure what you are saying here. if i use it docked, then the old model is a deal because i'm getting the console and the game at price. the only feature the new one has is a better battery which is irrelevant for docked mode. it's not a bad deal its just not a deal, it's just the console. buying a lite would be terrible because you can't play docked.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Feels a little sneaky.

• Options
    Ugh, I didn't realize Walmart started their black friday deals already, so they're already out of stock of all of the Switch games I wanted to grab, since they were $30 there while they're $40 elsewhere. Also, Kohl's sold out of their Switch bundle within 5 minutes, so I missed out on that as well.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

i'm not sure what you are saying here. if i use it docked, then the old model is a deal because i'm getting the console and the game at price. the only feature the new one has is a better battery which is irrelevant for docked mode. it's not a bad deal its just not a deal, it's just the console. buying a lite would be terrible because you can't play docked.

Thought the better battery life was due to changing out processor and RAM to more power (and, by extension, heat) efficient parts and the battery itself is the same as the original run. Was that later found to be bunk?

Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/new-nintendo-switch-battery-life-test/

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |