As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Interesting stuff coming from Capcom. They want to shift focus to making games that review well and don't just sell well. They'd rather make a game that receives a 9/10 and sells OK than a game that receives a 6/10 and sells millions. That's ignoring the fact that well reviewed games typically sell well anyway (most of the time) but hey, I'll take a renewed focus on quality :^:

They've also stated that they are super into the idea of dipping into their catalog of IPs for more REmake 2 style remakes. No hints as to the specific games they're looking into, but I really hope at least one of em is Dino Crisis.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Interesting stuff coming from Capcom. They want to shift focus to making games that review well and don't just sell well. They'd rather make a game that receives a 9/10 and sells OK than a game that receives a 6/10 and sells millions. That's ignoring the fact that well reviewed games typically sell well anyway (most of the time) but hey, I'll take a renewed focus on quality :^:

They've also stated that they are super into the idea of dipping into their catalog of IPs for more REmake 2 style remakes. No hints as to the specific games they're looking into, but I really hope at least one of em is Dino Crisis.

Cool sentiment, but if they get a couple of critical darlings that sell under the radar due to coming out up against Call of Duty Whatever, I suspect their focus will shift again.
    Plus even the worst shovelware PR guy isn't going to publicly say "We're aiming for a truly mediocre experience".

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Wow, that screenshot of Claire looks alot different than the Claire that appears on the PS4 preorder theme.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Looks like some folks are revisiting or thinking of revisiting RE6. If the gameplay isn't your thing, I would recommend playing it on Easy to let you have fun with melee and the dodging mechanics. And look up a chapter order guide so you can follow the story a little better. It made a difference last time I played it on PS4.

This is what I found with a quick google. I think this is what I used, and I liked it a lot.
    Prelude Chapter
    Chris Chapter 1
    Chris Chapter 2
    Jake Chapter 1
    Jake Chapter 2
    Leon Chapter 1
    Leon Chapter 2
    Leon Chapter 3
    Jake Chapter 3
    Chris Chapter 3
    Jake Chapter 4
    Leon Chapter 4
    Chris Chapter 4
    Jake Chapter 5
    Chris Chapter 5
    Leon Chapter 5
    Ada's Campaign

Also, play as Piers.

• Options
    I feel like Claire's face looks different in every new screenshot

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I started RE7 last night.

Wow.
    Mia is fucking creepy.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

Wow.
    Mia is fucking creepy.

VR?

• Options
    Game Informer has a write-up on Claire's demo

Some more new screenshots in there too, including a glimpse of mutated Birkin, who looks awesome.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular

Some more new screenshots in there too, including a glimpse of mutated Birkin, who looks awesome.

Chief Irons sighting!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Chief Irons sighting!

Not not be a Negative Nelly, but if you fire a grenade launcher in a narrow hallway surrounded on all sides by metal pipes, you and the kid with you are going to have a bad time.

At least 3/10ths of a second of tinnitus which, in this case, would also happen to be a lifetime supply.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Capcom's done a really good job of making the zambos looks super gross.

• Options
    Rothgarr wrote: »

Wow.
    Mia is fucking creepy.

VR?

Nah, but man I can't even imagine how that would go down. Hell, I had my TV volume turned low and wimped out on using my Gold headset because I remembered that the demo had all kinds of surround sound effects creeping me out. Even then it was "hey, what's that feeling of utter dread? Oh, that's the cold chill of fear up my spine," during that scene.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Chief Irons sighting!

Not not be a Negative Nelly, but if you fire a grenade launcher in a narrow hallway surrounded on all sides by metal pipes, you and the kid with you are going to have a bad time.

At least 3/10ths of a second of tinnitus which, in this case, would also happen to be a lifetime supply.

It was used as a point blank shotgun in the original game.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Everyone on the PSVR subreddit says that RE7 is THE definitive VR experience, and they all say after beating it that nothing they've ever played before has remotely compared, but I'm wondering if that's (a) Stockholm Syndrome, or maybe (b) pride at enduring something horrible that they would not be recommending if they weren't trying to seem like tough bois.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Nah, it's not like that at all.

Most VR games, like 90% or more are just gimmick games that don't have much depth. There are very few full VR video game experiences that are actual video games with depth to them. And then on top of that you have the fantastic environments, legitimate scares, and super creepy atmosphere of RE7, and all that adds up to a remarkable VR experience.

And even other VR games that are legitimate full games with like a story and narrative and stuff, RE7 VR executes the experience better than most.

You gotta remember - RE7 on its own is a fucking phenomenal game. Yeah, it's scary and creepy, but people who recommend it for VR are not doing so to show some sort of macho bravery. They're recommending it because it's a genuinely good game that fits perfectly with VR and is a very well executed VR experience.

That being said, RE7 is not for everybody, and while it is a very well executed VR experience, if horror games and shock value stuff make you squeamish or uncomfortable, then definitely don't try to force it just for the VR.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    It's sort of hard to imagine Resident Evil 7 as the definitive VR experience when it uses...well, a gamepad. Take away the VR headset, and you still have RE7. Take away the gamepad, and you cease to have a game, you have a...demo while someone else actually plays the game.

That doesn't bode great for the whole "total VR ecosystem immersion" as sold by the actual manufacturers. And as stated above, RE7 is still a fantastic game when completely divorced from VR (I say this with the caveat that it's not among my favorite titles in the franchise, but I know it's stellar stuff). This is actually how I feel about Superhot, which is arguably more a "VR" game by comparison, even though it was a critical success even before anyone thought about creating a version for VR.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's the most successful VR title that's not on a Google Cardboard, or another Android-powered "lesser" VR solution. PSVR has fallen well short of Sony's original projections (which were about as unrealistic as everyone else's), but it's still beating the hell out of HTC Vive, Rift, and everything else in that category combined.

EDIT: Obviously, it's no where near as popular, but I think RE7 is a VR experience on parallel with Elite: Dangerous, if you'll hear me out. ED is an incredible game (with some very serious flaws inherent to the genre), on an entirely different level to something like NMS. The implementation of VR in it is an incredible experience, probably the most impressed I've been with home PC VR, full stop, in regards to the incredible, one-to-one scale space exploration and combat simulator. But it still needs a proper HOTAS to do it (and ED with a good HOTAS is already a fucking phenomenal space flight simulator, easily one of the best out there).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's sort of hard to imagine Resident Evil 7 as the definitive VR experience when it uses...well, a gamepad.

As opposed to telepathy?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So I'm just curious. If your complaint is with the control apparatus (gamepad), what would you want instead? Are you looking for a VR experience as illustrated in "Ready Player One"?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I'm just curious. If your complaint is with the control apparatus (gamepad), what would you want instead? Are you looking for a VR experience as illustrated in "Ready Player One"?

If I explained it poorly, my bad--I meant as it a VR-designed control solution (like the Rift, HTC Vive, etc. have) implemented in a first person shooter. So, Arizona Sunrise or H3VR or any number of other VR shooters that involve movement.

(No, not Ready Player One. I suspect the Home VR industry is going to fade away well before that point of technology, but that's pure speculation on anyone's part.)
    reVerse wrote: »
    It's sort of hard to imagine Resident Evil 7 as the definitive VR experience when it uses...well, a gamepad.

As opposed to telepathy?

See above.

• Options
    So I only got as far as
    the "dinner" scene and subsequent escape through the locked trap door that leads to the first safe room.
    Am I correct in assuming there is a fairly substantial "hide and seek" mechanic like with Alien: Isolation? Because if so, I am pumped even more, and fairly well prepared to not use any damn items at all while running the hell away from stuff. A:I got me really good at that.

• Options
    This is getting a bit into off-topic territory, but I wonder if Microsoft is working on any sort of VR technology that incorporates their Kinect with it? It seems like those two things could easily go hand in hand.

A person has a big open space with enough room to move arms and legs about, they strap on a VR headset, and then the Kinect motion detects their gestures?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So I only got as far as
    the "dinner" scene and subsequent escape through the locked trap door that leads to the first safe room.
    Am I correct in assuming there is a fairly substantial "hide and seek" mechanic like with Alien: Isolation? Because if so, I am pumped even more, and fairly well prepared to not use any damn items at all while running the hell away from stuff. A:I got me really good at that.

I won't go any specific spoilers, but the answer is a bit on the spoilery side so I am putting it in a spoiler tag just in case. Be warned that it might spoil some gameplay elements, but not specific story elements.
    Just like in other Resident Evil games, RE7 contains several major areas. RE1 has the mansion, the basement, the lab, and so forth. Likewise, there are multiple areas within RE7.

The hide and seek element does eventually come to an end. It is a unique experience that is limited only to when you're inside the primary Baker family residence.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    This is getting a bit into off-topic territory, but I wonder if Microsoft is working on any sort of VR technology that incorporates their Kinect with it? It seems like those two things could easily go hand in hand.

A person has a big open space with enough room to move arms and legs about, they strap on a VR headset, and then the Kinect motion detects their gestures?

I can answer this one: no, according to them. Kinect was instrumental to Hololens in regards to practical experience (which is still incredibly expensive and selling very well considering it is and it's not formally out of beta), but both it and the W.M.R. standard (which is used by Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, etc.) involves integrated (inside-out?) motion tracking as a matter of cost reduction and convenience (with its own limitations). Kinect as a (comparatively large) 3D camera (with pretty elaborate microphone tech) could be considered overkill for those purposes (especially if you considered using two of them, which would be "optimal", based on what we've seen with custom Kinect room setups).

Sorry, not related to Resident Evil, but as someone with a Kinect, a Samsung Odyssey, and who has used a Vive and a Hololens (and PSVR), I actually have some shallow experience with almost every venue of this stuff.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    So I only got as far as

You can play hide and seek, while only ever fighting the weirdos when you're forced too, if you want. They aren't Xenomorphs, though. You can get em off your back with your weapons if you need too.

• Options
    So I only got as far as

I won't go any specific spoilers, but the answer is a bit on the spoilery side so I am putting it in a spoiler tag just in case. Be warned that it might spoil some gameplay elements, but not specific story elements.
    Just like in other Resident Evil games, RE7 contains several major areas. RE1 has the mansion, the basement, the lab, and so forth. Likewise, there are multiple areas within RE7.

The hide and seek element does eventually come to an end. It is a unique experience that is limited only to when you're inside the primary Baker family residence.

I assumed this to be the case. Glad my instincts weren't wrong.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular

If I explained it poorly, my bad--I meant as it a VR-designed control solution (like the Rift, HTC Vive, etc. have) implemented in a first person shooter. So, Arizona Sunrise or H3VR or any number of other VR shooters that involve movement.

In those games Arizona Sunrise or H3VR, don't you also move around by using thumbsticks on the Rift/Vive controllers? (or teleporting -- and I can't imaging teleporting around in RE7, it would ruin the immersion).

• Options
    Capcom says enough time has passed since the original REmake released, that doing a reREmake isn't a "laughable idea". REmake 2 has to come out first, though. I am very OK with the idea of remaking Resident Evil 1 again. Either in the sort of RE4 style they're using for Resident Evil 2, or in the style of RE7.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Resident Evil 1 going into Resident Evil 2 follows a very similar progression to Alien > Aliens.

In RE1, you're in a claustrophobic environment, a small mansion and its surrounding areas, with no where to really run or get away from the zombies. (Likewise, Alien is a claustrophobic movie about being trapped on a spaceship with a monster).

Then in RE2, it escalates out into the city, the area is bigger, there are more zombies to contend with, and it's a very natural progress/escalation. (Likewise, Aliens moves to a colony and one alien threat becomes many alien threats).

I think that is a very tried and true formula. Dead Space did the same thing between DS1 and DS2.

And I think there will always be room for a very well told RE1, even if they just keep remaking it over and over. There's just no denying the horror that is derived from closed/contained claustrophobic spaces where escape and departure are just not possible.

That's probably also why I love Revelations 1 so much, because the Jill parts perfectly recapture the feeling of being trapped in the Mansion, only you're trapped on a boat.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

2022: ReREmake 1 releases. Resident Evil 1 in the style of REmake 2.

As so it was foretold, so too shall it come to pass.

President Evil on
  • Options
    Do REmake 3 and Code Veronica first.

Or hell, make RE 8 withe everything you've learned from RE2make and RE7.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

In those games Arizona Sunrise or H3VR, don't you also move around by using thumbsticks on the Rift/Vive controllers? (or teleporting -- and I can't imaging teleporting around in RE7, it would ruin the immersion).

People seemed to feel the motion controller for Wii RE4 was an improvement over a gamepad, even though the sticks were still used for movement.

• Options

You do (though there may be options that change it slightly). Which is another departure from what is the by-now established norm for a VR first person shooter. More stuff like this makes RE7 a first person shooter that you can watch in VR, and a very good one at that, and not "designed-for-VR first person shooter" experience. It wouldn't be as much of a distinction if pretty much all VR FPS that let you move didn't operate much the same way, enough to establish a norm. It doesn't mean it's not a VR game of some kind, but it's still different in its own ways.

(And if it's not clear, I agree with you.)

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I really want an RE3 remake to the point that I don't even care too much about the RE2 one, but will get it and want it but I'm just thinking "do well enough for 3 to be remade in the same style please please please"

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Capcom says enough time has passed since the original REmake released, that doing a reREmake isn't a "laughable idea". REmake 2 has to come out first, though. I am very OK with the idea of remaking Resident Evil 1 again. Either in the sort of RE4 style they're using for Resident Evil 2, or in the style of RE7.

Eh, RE7 was a close enough remake of 1 for me to not need an RE 1 remake. Also they just re-released REmake in modern consoles like two years ago.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

People seemed to feel the motion controller for Wii RE4 was an improvement over a gamepad, even though the sticks were still used for movement.

I heard that it busted the difficulty curve, kind of like The Twin Snakes did for MGS1.

• Options

2022: ReREmake 1 releases. Resident Evil 1 in the style of REmake 2.

As so it was foretold, so too shall it come to pass.

If it does happen and it comes out in 2022, you all have to get together and buy me a copy of the game :)

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    After RE2, the only one they "need to" remake is RE3. Those PS1 era graphics, yeesh.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I want my Code Veronica remake bad.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
This discussion has been closed.