As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    IMHO, 3 was way more memorable than CV. I mean...ok sure CV had that oh my gawd what is the Spencer mansion doing here bit but yeah once Chris comes into play the game really goes downhill.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Code Veronica’s a good game, but it also devolves into full-blown anime once Claire hits Antarctica. It’s a strange one.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Code Veronica has always been my favorite RE. I started with the first one when it came out and played the second near it's launch as well, but it was Code Veronica that was on a system that had the horse power to show the zombies and other creatures in such detail that they weren't just blocks. Even as annoying as Steve was, I would say that the graphics and the way it was presented (actual moving cameras at times) helped bring out the horror aspect to me in a way the PS originals could not.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Code Veronica’s a good game, but it also devolves into full-blown anime once Claire hits Antarctica. It’s a strange one.

Yeah the sexy bug lady goes a bit far.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    shit I notice how much I forgot about CV. with every post a new memory comes back. TBH, CV did give us anime Wesker.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    CV is the only one I haven't finished because I got to a part in Antarctica where I had to fight a boss and I just didn't have the equipment to make it through.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I think Code Veronica is my least favorite RE, just inching out Zero. I found the game not that fun. Steve was annoying, the blood looked like ketchup, and it felt really laborious for me to play.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    It’s definitely got my favorite save room music:

https://youtu.be/mxq5ymqPAsQ

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The first time i played Code veronica i got to the Plane and had nothing left and got so frustrated that i started the entire game over and got back to the plane area using nothing but the knife it was absurd.

Then i screwed myself at the end because i gave claire all my good weapons

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Is anyone else turned off by this timed demo marketing stunt? I love RE2, but I hope this whole 'timed' demo thing flops hard.

I wouldn't call it a marketing stunt. Timed demos are neither a new concept nor is it unreasonable. They wanted to give us a small taste. That is what they have done. And it was glorious and has left me wanting more.

If anything, the result of this demo is the opposite of flopping hard.

What would you call it if not a marketing stunt? Can you name another game that released and advertised a limited demo? Not an alpha, not a pre-release or beta, not a stress tester, but a demo?

I don't trust a company that intentionally releases a demo that is meant to hide much of the demo itself by including a hard sell of it through a limited release? I mean, it wreaks of "buy this limited time offer" shenanigans, and that's not really a good taste?

And you're okay with a future where these hard sell marketing ploys are normal? I'm not, which is why I hope this advertising gimmick flops. But I doubt many people are thinking long term, it is a highly anticipated game so that alone will make it seem like this trick is "good" and "works". So incoming next 5+ or so years of limited demos? Yay?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Is anyone else turned off by this timed demo marketing stunt? I love RE2, but I hope this whole 'timed' demo thing flops hard.

I wouldn't call it a marketing stunt. Timed demos are neither a new concept nor is it unreasonable. They wanted to give us a small taste. That is what they have done. And it was glorious and has left me wanting more.

What would you call it if not a marketing stunt? Can you name another game that released and advertised a limited demo? Not an alpha, not a pre-release or beta, not a stress tester, but a demo?

I don't trust a company that intentionally releases a demo that is meant to hide much of the demo itself by including a hard sell of it through a limited release? I mean, it wreaks of "buy this limited time offer" shenanigans, and that's not really a good taste?

And you're okay with a future where these hard sell marketing ploys are normal? I'm not, which is why I hope this advertising gimmick flops. But I doubt many people are thinking long term, it is a highly anticipated game so that alone will make it seem like this trick is "good" and "works". So incoming next 5+ or so years of limited demos? Yay?

I'm really not sure I understand your concern here. Demos are marketing and they're all limited in some way.

Sure, they're encouraging you to buy the full game, but that's... kind of the point?

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    This is a lot of doomsaying over something that's, you know, free. Sure, it's a gimmick, but so are demos as a concept.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The fact that there's a demo at all is a positive. Demos are so rare these days (aside from "betas" that are actually demos).

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Demo is only one letter less than Demon.

QED

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    The first time i played Code veronica i got to the Plane and had nothing left and got so frustrated that i started the entire game over and got back to the plane area using nothing but the knife it was absurd.

Then i screwed myself at the end because i gave claire all my good weapons

I was into RE at the time that I was also into speed running and extreme feats. I forgot if I ever got through the game in zero saves (the game gives you an auto save right before Antarctica) but I do remember I got to that auto save after many attempts, a bunch ending from a cheap kill from the boss right before the save. Either way, I got really good at speed running that first half. All of this before achievements.

Kind of bummer that the PS3 got an enhanced version of Code Veronica but the PS4 just has the PS2 version.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Trying to get the knife-only trophy in RE HD:
    If I let Richard die from the poison, that means Rebecca will show up to help kill the plant thing later on, right? Slipping away from poison is probably a better way to go than being eaten by a shark, so I'm morally cool with it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

QED

Demo is also short for Demon-stration.

This thing's got devils baked right into it.

• Options
    edited January 2019

Wow. You sure are worked up about something that is:
    A) Free
    B) Marketing Material for a game that at this point is only 1 week away
    C) Something that is intended to be a taste. The whole point is to make you hungry for more.

The 30 minute timer is kind of a challenge. And that challenge is "How much can you see and do in 30 minutes".

There was more content available in the demo than could reasonably fill a 30 minute block of playtime. Therefore, the fun and challenge is to try to accomplish as much as you can and see as much of the game as you can, knowing full well that time is counting down and then you're gonna be locked out until release. (Or until you play it again on a different account or different platform).

There's nothing sinister here, they aren't hiding anything, and if anything, I think this is a fun, fresh take on the demo thing. It gave us a taste. We know what combat is like, we know what the graphics, lighting, and atmosphere is like. We know zombies are scary again. There's lots of stuff we got to experience in that short amount of time. This demo was a precision strike missile, meant to deliver the best, most salivating experience it could to generate hype. And that is exactly what it has done.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think the timed demo is actually preferable TBH. It communicates that they have a finished product - it's up to you as the player to decide what you want to experience with that 30 minutes.

This versus having a demo that's essentially a manicured vertical slice of a game that may or may not be indicative of what the final product would be. I really don't get how this can be construed as a "stunt" anymore than any piece of marketing material is.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

QED

Demo is also short for Demon-stration.

This thing's got devils baked right into it.

It is here, right now, in This thread, that I learned that demo is a shortened form of demonstration.

My mind is blown

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I've been really good about resisting the demo... but now the weekend is fast approaching where I wont have work to take my mind off it. Argh, why can't the game just release today!? Maybe I'll just reinstall all the RE games I have on PS4 to sate my desires until next week.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Blood. I'll be examining this.
    IVup1Yz.jpg

Hope this is not Ch... OH SHIT
    4hnJq4e.jpg

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on PC vs PS4 Pro? Any reason to get the PS4 version over the PC version? There's no exclusive PSVR stuff, right?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on PC vs PS4 Pro? Any reason to get the PS4 version over the PC version? There's no exclusive PSVR stuff, right?
    ...Trophies?
    For me it's about a 21-inch monitor versus a 49-inch TV and a comfier chair.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PC version will probably end up with mods or something. Other than that, no real reason I can think of outside of whichever of your set ups you prefer.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Code Veronica ain't on Steam yet? Dang, was hoping to play that again at some point.

I'm up to the lab on my Jill playthrough of REmake. As usual, absolutely swimming in health and ammo. Oops! This game is also way, way longer than I remembered. How the actual hell are you meant to beat it in under 3 hours for the rocket launcher!?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Man, this game has seriously got to come out soon, or I'm gonna go crazy.

Just today I've been sitting here at work, fantasizing about all of the survival horror games I love, and now I just want to go home and install them all and play them all. At the same time. Revelations 1 and 2. RE4. RE7. Dead Space 1 and 2. Evil Within 2 (which I never finished). And Soma was the free game on PSN a couple months ago and that game looks neat. I've never played it but now I'm thinking maybe I oughta.

How am I possibly going to get all that played this weekend? Obviously a rhetorical question. RE2 needs to get here.

• Options
    Soma isn't really a survival horror game. In fact, the monster segments kind of bog the whole experience down. I still highly recommend it if you've never played it, because it has an amazing story and you can toggle the monsters off.

I was also thinking about horror games to hold me over until next Friday, and I remembered all 3 Dead Space games are available to play on XBone. I think I could ride those out to next week.

• Options
    I reinstalled RE4 last night. I should replay Revelations too.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Honestly playing through RE4 is probably the closest to RE2make will be.

...BUT I MUST HOLD STRONG. RE4HD mod is so damn close to being done, it would be a shame to play through it without that mod on.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Also speaking of safe room music, this was my phone alarm for a good amount of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53aDI5K49F4

• Options
    dumb question, RE2 Deluxe is only DLC costumes right?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Umbrella Corps. is on sale on PSN for $6. Should I do it?

dumb question, RE2 Deluxe is only DLC costumes right?

Yeah, just costumes AFAIK

Edit: I did it. $6 isn't a terrible price to see how bad (or possibly surprisingly good) it is, and it's the only RE game available on PS4 that I haven't played yet.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    So yeah. Umbrella Corps. is.... yeah. Oof.

A proper RE themed Killing Floor 2 style game would be so cool though, I don't know why that hasn't been done yet.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    The perfect online coop resident evil game exists. They just haven't made another outbreak game in awhile.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Outbreak used to frustrate the hell out of me.

Like there was this level where you had to split up and press buttons to progress and like 90% of the time the other person would just not press the damn button on their path

• Options
    man...this game is still fukn awesome.
    srfhvdnkqxb0.jpg

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have REmake on the Xbox one X, is there anything I should know before I play it, having never played all the way through it before?

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, everything in RE2 Deluxe will be for sale individually so if you're just after the Original OST you don't need to pay the $30 or whatever it is.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I have REmake on the Xbox one X, is there anything I should know before I play it, having never played all the way through it before?

Certain decisions can affect who survives what, but I'd really really recommend just going in blind rather than spoiling things by looking at guides first. Many enemies don't need to be fought, so it's frequently better to save ammo and avoid them. Saves are also limited by finding ink ribbons; I've played REmake several times and never managed to run out of ribbons, but just be careful to not burn them up with saves every five minutes.

Oh, and several puzzles require going into your inventory and examining items closely for clues or hidden switches.

This discussion has been closed.