As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Heart of Thorns - first expansion announced! Release date betting pool started!

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Without naming names, it almost feels to me like some of you want this game to be failing to support the fact that you deeply dislike it for your own various reasons. I think it's fine to dislike something but that doesn't mean it's doomed and noone else likes it.

If I am reading more into some posts than I should be, then nevermind.

I'm pretty negative (albeit not recently) about their updates, because I enjoy the base game so much, but besides the wallet, I'm not super impressed with a lot of the changes they've made since launch. Too much focus on ephemeral content, and I'd like to see a bit more for SPVP. Also, deleting and apologizing for Skyhammer, which is one of the worst maps in the entire history of the genre.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I came back because their marketing emails enticed me and I wanted to start unlocking content. I then started slowly working on my map completion while queuing for spvp, which is basically what I have always done in GW2. I also does $10 to double my collection stack size.

I think their model works really well. Because they get me to log in on a whim and they offer good primotions in the store they have a good chance to get more bucks out of me, but maintain good populations through f2p.

I quite like the wardrobe changes and the spvp leveling changes. My old complaint was that I couldn't take my spvp unlocks back into pve with me, now I can. I also have more frequent spvp rewards, which keeps me on the treadmill better.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    The Caption Contest is over! Sharkey chose @ringswraith‌ as the winner and @Eidolon‌ as the runner up. Sparkles have been duly awarded, congratulations!

So, stupid question time but- sparkles?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Sweet. mine (i cant win) was

kalimashatizayyyyyyyyy "COVER YOUR HEART INDY!!!" kalimashatizayyyyyyyyy

Was that one done?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    There's an interview with Matt Wuerfell (a dev I guess?) and Devon Carter here: guildmag.com/guild-wars-2-interview-part-1-general-game-living-world/

Whole lotta "I can't talk about that" and "soon," plus it looks like SAB is not coming back in the near future. Also a frustrating answer about first-person view, which Devon Carter doesn't want to put I guess because it would make combat confusing? Except that no one wants it for combat. Arg.

If anything I say GW2 is too profitable, as in they need to hire more devs or something and get more shit done.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get back in the game but either I have to find my old password or I have to call support because the reset system isn't working for me and I even have the CD key and everything.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Support is less terrible than you would expect from an MMO.

• Options
    There's an interview with Matt Wuerfell (a dev I guess?) and Devon Carter here: guildmag.com/guild-wars-2-interview-part-1-general-game-living-world/

Whole lotta "I can't talk about that" and "soon," plus it looks like SAB is not coming back in the near future. Also a frustrating answer about first-person view, which Devon Carter doesn't want to put I guess because it would make combat confusing? Except that no one wants it for combat. Arg.

If anything I say GW2 is too profitable, as in they need to hire more devs or something and get more shit done.

:D oh yougotta, lets just sit back and see what the rest of the future holds. Maybe the non wvw features are off the charts, my man?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    VahkrisVahkris TexasRegistered User regular
    Also a frustrating answer about first-person view, which Devon Carter doesn't want to put I guess because it would make combat confusing? Except that no one wants it for combat. Arg.

Just make it an item like the Dance book and lock down all skills and such so it can't be used for or in combat.

Problem solved, except the fact they don't seem to understand why players want it in the first place.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Asuran Binoculars:
    On equip puts players in first person view, has multiple zooms along the skill bar.

• Options
    Vahkris wrote: »
    Also a frustrating answer about first-person view, which Devon Carter doesn't want to put I guess because it would make combat confusing? Except that no one wants it for combat. Arg.

Just make it an item like the Dance book and lock down all skills and such so it can't be used for or in combat.

Problem solved, except the fact they don't seem to understand why players want it in the first place.

We are explaining it wrong. "Anet, we want E-mersion like those E-sports"

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Today's update, Balance Changes

Most of the stuff either has or will be covered in detail with their Ready Up podcast, but let me quote the new stuff:
    Elementalist

The elementalist’s cantrips are popular in all parts of the game, and in the interest of promoting build diversity, we’ll be using the feature pack as an opportunity to work on other types of utility skills. For example, the fire and air storms from the Glyph of Storms will now apply conditions of their own. In addition, we’ll rework some of the new grandmaster traits that currently don’t have enough of a payoff or are too difficult to use. Finally, we’ll be addressing the Tornado and Fiery Greatsword elite skills; we’ll make some usability improvements and tone down some of their unintended functionality.

Guardian

With the guardian, our intent for this balance update is to improve some of the less popular utility skills and open up some build diversity in both support and offense. The active skills of some of the spirit weapons have been reworked to include more supportive functionality. One change we’re excited to tell you about is Spirit Bow’s command ability, which will now heal in a targeted area rather than just around the bow itself. We’ve also adjusted the guardian’s elite skills; the tomes have received considerable number changes and quality-of-life updates.

Mesmer

The mesmer has seen adjustments in a few areas. For this update, we’re looking at improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions. We’ve taken a look at some of the new grandmaster traits and improved upon their original implementation. We’ve altered the scepter a bit, pushing it more toward the condition role we would like it to have. In addition, you’ll see some awesome improvements to offensive mantras and a rework of the Mimic skill, which will now copy all boons on your target to yourself.

Necromancer

Our focus for necromancers in this balance update has been on improving their survivability through utilities and traits as well as improving the overall effectiveness of their melee and skirmishing weapons. You’ll see that the dagger auto-attack will now hit two targets, while the axe’s animations have been tuned to be more fluid. Along with weapon skill updates, your utility skills have been updated to provide more survivability over time.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah, the new Mimic skill is going to be insane in PvP.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Today's update, Balance Changes

Most of the stuff either has or will be covered in detail with their Ready Up podcast, but let me quote the new stuff:
    Guardian

With the guardian, our intent for this balance update is to improve some of the less popular utility skills and open up some build diversity in both support and offense. The active skills of some of the spirit weapons have been reworked to include more supportive functionality. One change we’re excited to tell you about is Spirit Bow’s command ability, which will now heal in a targeted area rather than just around the bow itself. We’ve also adjusted the guardian’s elite skills; the tomes have received considerable number changes and quality-of-life updates.

Elite skills need much love. Spirit weapons are dumb. So making them better is ok too i guess.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Oh man...
    Arcane Thievery, Mimic, Signet of Inspiration
    "You get a boon, you get a boon, and you get a boon! Everybody gets a boon!"

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I'm a little sad about SAB, I guess I was expecting them to announce it right after the feature pack was released. The way they responded it appears that it isn't even currently in development. Hopefully we'll see it again!

• Options
    Yeah, the GuildMag interview is pretty depressing about SAB.

One of the most enjoyable things they've done, and they're putting it on hold?

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    That was a pretty generic opener for the mesmer.

"We're gonna look at some stuff, and then we're gonna iterate on it! Yeah! Also we'll buff scepters and mantras again."

Mimic rework sounds like fun. If they could make it a "target anyone" instead of just enemies then it could give us a sweet PvE boost. Chances are good it'll just be enemy targets though.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    For Mesmer, I wish they'd just make our skills, illusions and phantasms work as intended or advertised. It seems like they are making the few things that work, maybe work differently or better instead of really making the core and basic class skills work.

I mean, focus has all sorts of bugs with it due to iwarden not always working and the curtain's reflect wall being all of 2 feet high, enough to stop a really close to the ground, reflectable projectile at best. Making a weapon work as intended would be a great start in my mind!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So any word from the Devs on new races, classes, weapons, player story etc? While I like the fact that they allow you to go back and do living story content for a cost I am still on hiatus from the game due to burn out.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So any word from the Devs on new races, classes, weapons, player story etc? While I like the fact that they allow you to go back and do living story content for a cost I am still on hiatus from the game due to burn out.

none yet

• Options
    sad panda

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sad panda

you and me both. theres a lot of time between now and feature pack. Who knows!

oh wait we do. they specifically said no precursor crafting, no tengu. no SAB maybe. No FOV. yikes.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Yea, still have a Dawn sitting in my bank with a bunch of mats, none of the painful ones like clovers or those cores. Dont suppose they tweaked the drop rates of cores?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    No, drop rate of cores/lodestones isn't increased. It's not a real huge issue though, you can get gold pretty easily and just buy them. Precursors are still the overall roadblock with a legendary. If you have that, you really shouldn't have too bad of a time.

I'm still hoping precursor crafting is coming in the feature patch. Though the above interview was an absolute joke and waste of time.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Yea, still have a Dawn sitting in my bank with a bunch of mats, none of the painful ones like clovers or those cores. Dont suppose they tweaked the drop rates of cores?

i will take that off your hands to make eternity. i will do that for you. Seriously.

I kid. Im not on enough for that sort of undertaking :<

But FYI man- Geod is dead on. the precursor is all that matters.... I have 2/3's the mats i need to make another GS legendary. Just passively gathering not trying.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    just checked Gw2spidey for prices for Globs of Ecto and Charged Lodestones.. much better than I remember

ahh dammit getting the "itch" to play

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    What is SAB?

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Only the best platforming experience in any mmo ever.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Ugh, that was a pretty awful interview. Hopefully in the followup they'll have something positive to say, yeah?

Guild Mag just has to not ask them about pet AI or armor clipping on charr.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Tengu are bestgu. Er. . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Elementalist

The elementalist’s cantrips are popular in all parts of the game, and in the interest of promoting build diversity, we’ll be using the feature pack as an opportunity to work on other types of utility skills. For example, the fire and air storms from the Glyph of Storms will now apply conditions of their own. In addition, we’ll rework some of the new grandmaster traits that currently don’t have enough of a payoff or are too difficult to use. Finally, we’ll be addressing the Tornado and Fiery Greatsword elite skills; we’ll make some usability improvements and tone down some of their unintended functionality.

The long-dreaded FGS #4 nerf is here I'm afraid. They may nerf meteornado too...

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    They really need to make playable tengu already.. I want to make a tengu warrior so much.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Elementalist

The long-dreaded FGS #4 nerf is here I'm afraid. They may nerf meteornado too...

"we are removing all the fun things in this game. new armor on the gemstore this Tuesday."

• Options
    To be fair, FGS #4 and Meteornado weren't exactly 'fun', they were just "if you know a special trick, you can supercharge your damage output for a few seconds/minutes".

It's generally good for the health of encounter design etc. for there not to be case of "the health of x boss is balanced against a group bringing 30% eles for weapon spam."

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh 100%. I was only joking.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    every few months I check this game for new content, because it really is like my favorite MMO, and am disappointed

and by content I don't mean new quests

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Late for the news, but I just snatched up a Commander book after hearing that it'll be an account-wide unlock. I was on the fence with it a while ago, since I'm not sure how often I'd use it, but if it'll save me 200g on the off-chance I want one after the patch hit, I figured "Why not?"

I suppose that means we'll be seeing a lot more doritos once the patch hits, since there'll be more characters that'll have access to 'em. Is there a cap to how many commanders there can be on one map?

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    They really need to make playable tengu already.. I want to make a tengu warrior so much.

I have literally had a character slot for a year now with a character actually named Lucid Seraph for the sole purpose of Tengu.

Also I think that interview was evasive. They didn't so much say "no tengu" as "tengu are a thing that exists, maybe........"

i still believe man

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
This discussion has been closed.