As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Heart of Thorns - first expansion announced! Release date betting pool started!

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Anyway, in other news, Devs just posted in the Guardian forms an idea for Changing the tome elite skills into a Signet (for Courage) and a shout (for Wrath) that duplicated the Tomes most-used skill (Light of Deliverance and Zealot's Fervor respectively) with the promise of Tomes coming back in a future elite specialization.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I was actually going for "chronomancers will struggle with PvE". If he'd been using a traditional weapon set it would've been a lot easier to beat those dudes. Sword/Sword and greatsword? Set up a phantasmal zerker or swordsman and the mobs would've been dead in half the time. Sword/Focus might have also made the veteran trivial, but it's yet to be determined if those mobs came pre-nerfed in terms of projectile blocking.

I thought I'd read that Tides of Time was reduced both on being hit on return via alacrity, and the number of enemies hit during the return trip akin to the various recent trait cooldown updates. Wasn't the idea that you could make it that much faster to recast if you also positioned it to pass through more targets? If it's just alacrity alone then that's pretty weak.

Again, counterplay is blatant with delayed wells. They'll work in PvE where mobs aren't gonna think about it, or Wuv where a zerg's too big to care, but in PvP it's likely to do more damage than good if the team doesn't keep moving. The insight well has the right idea with the final burst proc'ing a defensive, because enemies are going to see that ticking clock on the ground and set up some ground-targeted explosions for whatever idiot's there when it goes off. Wanna know what's harder to counter? Your bog-standard mesmer PvP toolset, blink and decoy. Hell, mantras are harder to counter, because at least there you can precharge them before heading into combat. I know gravity well ignores stability now, but that's exactly the sort of thing they'd nerf about it.

And here's how you counter a mesmer's counter skill: each proc'd block effect has a wind-up time after the initial block, and if the mesmer stops that to, say, dodge a stun or wind up a knockback, then that counter is on full cooldown with nearly nothing to show for it. At least with the illusion summon the mesmer doesn't have to mind their positioning, which puts it a step ahead of the other counters - most folks can beat a counter with a strike from behind, even if the mesmer snaps around after the block. But it's still a stun or a blind away from being rendered moot, and then you have to wait the full cooldown to use it again rather than the 5 you'd get from an interrupt. Also let's not forget that the other bouncing skill phantasm is a total laughing stock, so I'm already skeptical of another.

So, again, how does that translate to cookie-cutter mesmer spec? It solves a problem, for sure, but there's not enough there to convince me that it's flat-out better than what we already have.

naengwen on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Tides of Time read as such:

"Launch a Temporal wave that damages and stops (i.e. stuns) enemies it passes through and buffs allies. The wave then returns to you. Touching the returning wave reduces the recharge of this skill"

You can see it here

Main reason you'd want to reposition is to hit as many people with the 1s stun as you can (though I'm sure the skill has one, it doesn't list a target limit). It's the same reason I often strafe when I'm using Engi Shield 5, to either hit more targets or try to hit the same guy on the return. Also, the skill fact list says that it blocks projectiles as well, which might also be a reason to reposition (to try and keep the wave between you and whatever is shooting at you.)

Also, I'm pretty sure that the posts you quoted were lauding how the epic specs announced so far(or at least Dragonhunter) do not appear to make a new, "cookie-cutter" build meta. So you're kinda asking them to defend a position that they don't hold in the first place.EDIT: Nevermind.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man, I wanted to be able to continuously cast it in zergs. :(

Oh well, least the changes to pistol will make that possible with magic bullet. 50% cooldown reduction on interrupt? Easy peasy.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Anyway, in other news, Devs just posted in the Guardian forms an idea for Changing the tome elite skills into a Signet (for Courage) and a shout (for Wrath) that duplicated the Tomes most-used skill (Light of Deliverance and Zealot's Fervor respectively) with the promise of Tomes coming back in a future elite specialization.

"we give up we cant make it work right now with all this content we are making. Heres lessor versions."

I want to hear more about the shout(wrath) as the main proposed support build of 0/0/6/6/6 only grows stronger with this.... fuck dragon hunter. All my best support skills are shouts, my cone heal is now a shout.

Keep your bow assholes. Imma hammer my problems away, and while doing so be an even greater support person in HOT. For that I am hype.

And some one eluded to it a post or so ago... I have almost zero faith in anet at this point. Dont want in beta. Dont really want to hem and haw over the trickle of poorly announced news. Dont like a solid half of what i hear out of them anymore. Maybe no one can live up to GW2 and its manifesto? It was a miracle that the base game was so GD amazing? No "pre-order cancelled" bs, just perhaps im tired of trying to be hype about anti-hype- drop it like its hot and ill deal with whats in the package.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Can I get an invite? Tsplitter.2037

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I don't get why they want to change tomes. Was there something wrong with them? I used Tome of Courage in WvW for a long time. Their reasoning seems to be at least partly "we're taking them away so we can bring them back later," which doesn't make sense to me.

• Options
    I don't get why they want to change tomes. Was there something wrong with them? I used Tome of Courage in WvW for a long time. Their reasoning seems to be at least partly "we're taking them away so we can bring them back later," which doesn't make sense to me.

i agree with you... not sure what was so wrong.... I think most dont run them

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Mostly them listening to the squeaky wheels on the forums. "The tomes, they are too hard! I have no time to use them, so they are never used! Why do we have skills if we do not use them in 99% of all situations!?"

So at some point they'll bring them in as a context that works with the remainder of the profession. Some elite spec where tomes will work as an equivalent to engineer tool kits. Perma-tomes.

• Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Most people not running them suggests something is wrong though, doesn't it? Personally I really liked the idea of them, but eventually found that Renewed Focus was just better for most situations. The two new elites sound like something I might actually use (to be seen, of course), and if they are going to build an elite spec later on around them to actually flesh out the tomes? Alright by me. Book Guardian could be fun. :)

Otherwise yeah, looking over the Dulfy notes the longbow skills don't seem like something I'll use. I really like the Virtue changes, but I dunno - is it confirmed we need the new spec to get the virtue changes?

The traps... hm. Light's Judgement (25 stacks of vuln & revealed while in trap area with duration 10s) could be fun.

Dragon's Maw... that could be interesting in combination with Light's Judgement, Procession of Blades, Hammer 5, and maybe some high DPS allies, but I dunno. I'm not sure how useful Guardian would be with that many slots tied up by traps. And I'm not sure what the "Range" is on Dragon's Maw in combination with Trigger and Attack Radius.

I'm really only talking PvE here though, the PvP in this game never really drew me in the way it did in GW1. This negates a lot of the downsides of traps, and just makes them a couple new fun toys for me to play with. Which I'm alright with, although I hope they work them into something useful for other scenarios, too.

Ynuu on
  • Options
    naengwen wrote: »
    Mostly them listening to the squeaky wheels on the forums. "The tomes, they are too hard! I have no time to use them, so they are never used! Why do we have skills if we do not use them in 99% of all situations!?"

So at some point they'll bring them in as a context that works with the remainder of the profession. Some elite spec where tomes will work as an equivalent to engineer tool kits. Perma-tomes.

I think the fact you could be knocked around while in tome form was a hard counter to the tomes? I'm really not sure other than to say not as easy to use. The heal book can really get you out of some jams tho

I dunno.... it was always more beneficial to run the 3 second invuln for me. If I'm taking too much heat i pop and I go.

Universally guardians are thought to have the worst elite options (at some point at least).

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm sure at some point they'll throw their hands up and give every profession some variation of Moa Morph. Then all shall know the joy of transforming giant sandwurms, mechanical constructs, and abstract representations of life conjured with magic, into dopey looking ostriches.

naengwen on
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    tsplitter wrote: »
    Can I get an invite? Tsplitter.2037

Sent!

Edit: Turns out Tsplitter's is @Unlucky's long-lost twin!

Kylindra on
  • Options
    naengwen wrote: »
    Then all shall know the joy of transforming giant sandwurms, mechanical constructs, and abstract representations of life conjured with magic, into dopey looking ostriches.

it is the greatest joy known to mankind, after all

• Options
    Walls are OP, please nerf Anet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWCTWRExS0

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Don't underestimate the value of facerolling your Virtues when it comes to evaluating the strength of Renewed Focus.

Without any traits, that nets you:
    - A 4-second Burn on the next attack for yourself and four allies.
    - A small PBAoE heal.
    - Aegis for yourself and four allies.

Now let's look at things you could also have from your traits.
    - A PBAoE Blind. (Blinding Justice)
    - ... AND Vulnerability. (Blinding Exposure)
    - 9 seconds total of Retaliation. (Virtue of Retribution)
    - An extra proc of all your "on-block" or "when an Aegis you applied is removed" Traits. (Shattered Aegis, Pure of Heart, Communal Defenses, Wrathful Spirit)
    - Remove three Conditions. (Absolute Resolution)
    - Grant Stability. (Indomitable Courage)
    - Break Stun on allies. (Shielded Mind)

Seriously, you could have so much extra shit attached to your Virtues that getting a free usage of all three, plus two seconds of invulnerability, on a 90 second recharge, is just nearly impossible for the Tomes to keep up with.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Walls are OP, please nerf Anet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWCTWRExS0

The best part is, this was apparently an FA guild. ALL HAIL FA.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    coVn is led by bona fide NICE member and God Emperor of Fort Aspenwood Zoel, in fact

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    I NOTICED THAT AFTER I POSTED YES, all hail Emperor Zoel, immortal ruling monarch of the Imperium of Aspenwood, may His corpse on the Golden Throne defend us from the Warp and the Daemo... wait

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Ynuu wrote: »
    Otherwise yeah, looking over the Dulfy notes the longbow skills don't seem like something I'll use. I really like the Virtue changes, but I dunno - is it confirmed we need the new spec to get the virtue changes?
    Yes, the first minor trait is the thing that changes the virtues. So if you don't choose the DH line, you don't get the new virtues.

26904.png
  • Options
    dang

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Keep in mind that an Elite Specialization is primarily centered around three things: changes to the class ability, a new weapon, and a new set of Utilities. If you have any interest in Traps in addition to the changed Virtues, it might still be worth it.

EDIT: Looking at Dulfy's specialization calculator with the prospective Dragonhunter traits, you could easily take a bunch of traits that had nothing to do with either the Longbow or Traps:

Adept Minor: Virtuous Action (modifies all Virtues)
    Adept Major: Soaring Devastation (immobilize when attacking with Wings of Resolve)
    Master Minor: Defender's Dogma (blocking charges up Justice)
    Master Major: Bulwark (Shield of Courage, the modified Virtue of Courage, is larger and lasts longer)
    Grandmaster Minor: Pure of Sight (10% extra damage to targets > 600 distance)
    Grandmaster Major: Hunter's Fortification (4 seconds of Protection on activating any Virtue) OR Big Game Hunter (15% damage and 10s Vulnerability when attacking anyone tethered by Spear of Courage)

Really, the only unavoidable irrelevant Trait in that line is Pure of Sight, and even that would help you with your... Scepter. Maybe.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Keep in mind that an Elite Specialization is primarily centered around three things: changes to the class ability, a new weapon, and a new set of Utilities. If you have any interest in Traps in addition to the changed Virtues, it might still be worth it.

Heck, what they've shown of the traits makes it tempting simply on the virtues.

It looked like, even without traps or LB, a Guardian could use Dragonhunter to make a pretty solid vuln stacking build.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Heck, what they've shown of the traits makes it tempting simply on the virtues.

Indeed. That minor trait gives us three new toys to play with by itself... not too shabby.

I'm just getting impatient to get my hands on it and find out how it works in practice, now.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Welp, that does it. Two weeks of Silverwastes and no portal.

/sigh

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The more I think about it the more I am warming to Dragonhunter.

I sorta wanted an Arcane Archer like class and this is definitely that but I'm still having a hard time seeing Pheny go that far to the DPS side away from support.

Edit: To be honest both of my characters in GW1 were much more like the Dragonhunter. My Ranger and Paragon were both set up for back line support most of the time.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Welp, that does it. Two weeks of Silverwastes and no portal.

/sigh

Same. On the plus side I got a bunch of geodes and a fossil, and then more geodes because I can't just have the fossil laying around.

• Options
    No portal for me, but I got a lot of T6 mats toward my Legendary, AND a lot of gold!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    By the way, they've also just released in a post the Planned traits for Chronomancer

Basically, all Mesmers will be Chronomancers from now to forever, because that's where your IMS trait is going to be (and as a minor trait too!):
    Hey all. Here are the Chronomancer traits from Robert! Keep in mind, all numbers are a work in progress.

Minor

Time Splitter – Gain access to continuum split/shift which allows you to revert to an earlier point in time.
    Flow of Time – Gain alacrity when you shatter. (1s)
    Time Marches On – You move 25% faster. The duration of incoming movement-impairing conditions is reduced by 25%. (Cripple. Chilled, Immobilize)

Adept

Time Catches Up – Activating a shatter gives your illusions Super Speed
    Delayed Reactions – Interrupting a foe slows them. (3s of Slow)
    All’s Well that Ends Well – Wells remove conditions from allies when they end. (1 condition)

Master

Illusionary Reversion – Gain a clone after you activate a shatter skill.
    Improved Alacrity – Alacrity applied to you lasts longer. (33%)
    Danger Time – Gain additional critical hit chance against slowed enemies. (30%)

Grandmaster

Lost Time – Every 3rd critical hit will slow your target. (2s of Slow)
    Chronophantasma – Your phantasms respawn the first time they are shattered.
    Seize The Moment – Gain quickness for each illusion you shatter. (1s of Quickness)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No portal for me, but I got a lot of T6 mats toward my Legendary, AND a lot of gold!

I'm not even sure where I'd be if I started attempting to get a legendary.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

It's a lot of grind, but not hard. You just need to get organised, and tackle the bits one by one.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

It's a lot of grind, but not hard. You just need to get organised, and tackle the bits one by one.

I do know which legendary I want for my engineer, but he's also the one with the spinal blade backpack that is in Advanced stage.

• Options

I do know which legendary I want for my engineer, but he's also the one with the spinal blade backpack that is in Advanced stage.

Well then, I guess what you really want to do is sell any T6 mats and cores/lodestones you have to buy the sprockets to MF the blade shards you need, along with the Watchwork Mechanism. I believe about at full stack worth of T6 mats (more if it's mostly Powerful Venom, less if it's Powerful Blood/Ectos) would give you all the gold you need to buy the sprockets you need to make everything you need for the Tempered backpiece that you apparently need to try and make it this long after S1's end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    So this got buried right away and I'm being told people haven't seen it, so here it is again!

Heart of Thorns Betting Pool

Two Pools:
    Official Release Date Pool (RETAIL release, not pre-order or other early access)
    Official Announcement Date Pool (First Announcement of Hard Release Date via an Official Channel)

The choices will be in terms of weeks (Week of May 24th, etc).

Rules:
    Cost: 1 gold per entry. You can enter up to 5 times (per pool) and you don't have to pick the same date for all your entries. So your buy-in can be anywhere between 1 and 10 gold, as you see fit.

Winnings will be distributed proportionately to everyone who picked the correct weeks according to the number of entries received.
    (Example: If Guildie McNoPants and five other people pick the winning week, but Guildie did 5 entries for that date and everyone else did 1 each, then Guildie would get half of the prize money and the rest would be split evenly between the other 5 people).

How to Enter:
    To enter, deposit your entry fee into the guild bank, and sign up on this spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQ9OwR3OG2filF3eVJJTmt3zdMkc25oEDPFoPHVHeXk/edit?usp=sharing

Instructions are on the sheet.

Contest is open to ALL members of NICE, including officers (no discretion regarding who wins, so no concerns about fairness).

Sign-ups start RIGHT NOW and will end two weeks from today. (Barring any premature announcing on ANet's part, of course!)

You can change your entries at any time during the next two weeks, but when they are closed, they are CLOSED and the sheet will be LOCKED. Also, all entry gold MUST be deposited by the closing date (Monday May 18th at 11:59PM EST) or you forfeit your choices and your right to enter.

Let the guessing begin!!

I just did this. I am posting about it to bump it

• Options

Well then, I guess what you really want to do is sell any T6 mats and cores/lodestones you have to buy the sprockets to MF the blade shards you need, along with the Watchwork Mechanism. I believe about at full stack worth of T6 mats (more if it's mostly Powerful Venom, less if it's Powerful Blood/Ectos) would give you all the gold you need to buy the sprockets you need to make everything you need for the Tempered backpiece that you apparently need to try and make it this long after S1's end.

Shit dude, I'll happily just give you the sprockets and a Mechanism, I don't need 'em. What's your in-game name again?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Obviously not that this applies to NICE itself, but for anyone who wants to make a personal bank guild (i.e. get 250 extra inventory space), I've written a guide detailing all the basic advice I can think of to speed the process up:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/35npi1/solo_guild_mission_guide_for_fun_and_profit/

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Are Portals still dropping? It's been a couple weeks, I didn't know if they have given an end time for them.

• Options

Shit dude, I'll happily just give you the sprockets and a Mechanism, I don't need 'em. What's your in-game name again?

ringswraith.8760

And thank you!

I am a little confused on the upgrade step to take, though. I heard there's one to color, then one to infuse, and a third one...

Also, I play GW2 pretty casually, so I'm sorry that I didn't finish my spinal blades when I was supposed to.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Portals should keep dropping. Sounds like it's probably gonna keep up until the last beta even/release at least.

That chronomancer trait list pretty much confirms my earlier thoughts. Lacking what the other PvE meta trees have - move speed on minor's pretty powerful, but the meta dorks are gonna have one look at it and realize all of the potential damage boosts are reliant on exactly what they don't wanna do. Unless they fix it so that phantasms don't spawn at the point that they shatter, I don't see this getting much use for dungeons. Then again, dungeons suck so bring on the new meta!

As for sPvP, well, they already said they're looking into how to nerf it so that should give you and indicator of how ridiculously OP the burst from chronophantasm would be. The concept is cool, though - would be nice to shatter without giving up half my sustained damage in PvE. Maybe just split it off, have it do something different in sPvP?

I'll admit, though, they should probably just look into mandatory spec'ing of mesmers into chronomancer when they enter Wuv. It's the Wuv spec.

Hope they buff up the illusion invuln though, least in PvE/Wuv. Those things never make it to their targets in zergs.

naengwen on
This discussion has been closed.