Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Gala apples are my first choice of eatin' apple, for sure. I've always found Red Delicious to be to one-note and sweet....Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji's and the like all have a nice tangy flavor that helps to balance the sweetness, though I think Gala's slightly moreso.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Tell me more of this dirty rice you speak of.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    honeycrisp apples are amazing
    them shits cold are a solid dessert competitor

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    honeycrisp apples are amazing
    them shits cold are a solid dessert competitor

Oh hell yeah, all my apples and citrus fruits go in the fridge to maximize their deliciousness.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Made THIS tonight.

It was inhaled, so I couldn't get a picture.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @V1m this version of dirty rice from Paula Deen is pretty standard for a dirty rice recipehttp://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/dirty-rice-recipe.html

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So I'm going camping this weekend and some friends decided we're going to each do a meal! Thing is, we've basically got access to a campfire and coolers. Not uh, the most elaborate setup.

Does anyone have some suggestions for something I could make in advance? It's okay to have it as a meal for night-of.

I'm also considering seeing if I can find recipes for bannock; I remember making it in Girl Guides back in the day over the campfire and it was awesome. I may also make some cupcakes with pastry cream filling since it's also a girl's birthday and baking is something I'm always super confident about!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Made THIS tonight.

It was inhaled, so I couldn't get a picture.

Broccoli rabe is the besssssst

• Options
    I really hate it when something is too spicy for me to taste the flavor. :( I made a nice massaman curry, but forgot the cayenne was new, and I could've used half the amount that I am used to using. Booo

I've been getting better with spicy foods but I clearly have a ways to go, heh

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    i made pulled pork sammies with kimchee. it is very good but I feel like I am missing one element. (the pulled pork is ginger and garlic.)

• Options
    Foolproof wrote: »
    i made pulled pork sammies with kimchee. it is very good but I feel like I am missing one element. (the pulled pork is ginger and garlic.)

Some salt? Some sweet? Combine the two with kecap manis?

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Foolproof wrote: »

Sweetness. Got some Hoisin sauce? Spread a little on the bun.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    So I'm going camping this weekend and some friends decided we're going to each do a meal! Thing is, we've basically got access to a campfire and coolers. Not uh, the most elaborate setup.

Does anyone have some suggestions for something I could make in advance? It's okay to have it as a meal for night-of.

I'm also considering seeing if I can find recipes for bannock; I remember making it in Girl Guides back in the day over the campfire and it was awesome. I may also make some cupcakes with pastry cream filling since it's also a girl's birthday and baking is something I'm always super confident about!

Assuming someone has already called dibs on the weenie roast/sausage on a stick scenario.

For camping, making up some foil versions (I like the heavy-duty stuff for campfires) of anything en papillote is an easy make-ahead and stored on a cooler. It's your protein (usually fish/seafood for speed, but if you're patient you can do anything that fares well in a braising atmosphere) and/or some veggies with oil/stock/wine/etc. and seasonings in a foil pouch.

I'm a fan because it scales really well. You can do as many or few as you want, do multiple seasonings if you prefer. You can also do desserts this way with fruit, sugar, a little flour and such, then crumble cookies or graham crackers over the finished product.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Making up a nice hearty stew is usually a good one.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Cherry-Clafoutis

http://koa.com/camping-recipe/backwoods-chili-rice-skillet/

http://koa.com/camping-recipe/big-jims-camping-beans/

http://koa.com/camping-recipe/crockpot-vegetable-beef-soup/

I can attest to each of those. They can all be made with simple easy to get things in a single cast iron dish. It certainly isn't the best food, but it isn't absolutely God Awful.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    My girlfriend's coworker left for India and left her with some of her spices. I've never cooked with Indian spices before, so I sorta made stuff up as I went along as I didn't quite have the necessary ingredients for what was suggested. So I ended up making a chicken stir-fry type dish with tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, peas, and carrots. It turned out quite good!

Now I'm excited to make more Indian food!

It's not traditional Indian, but a couple days ago I randomly decided to look for recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala (which I've never had) and found this article where the author played around with various cooking methods to find one that seemed to work the best. Link to the actual recipe is all the way down the bottom.

• Options
    Oh no! I fell down the recipe rabbit hole and started digging around Serious Eats. Now I want to make Tomato Bacon Jam, and Gyro Burgers, and Gai Yang, and...OH MY GOD PLEASE MAKE ME STOP...

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Oh no! I fell down the recipe rabbit hole and started digging around Serious Eats. Now I want to make Tomato Bacon Jam, and Gyro Burgers, and Gai Yang, and...OH MY GOD PLEASE MAKE ME STOP...

what have you done?!

don't bring those links here!

ok, when can I make Gyro Burgers ....

this weekend I guess!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Time to pull out my favorite backpacking recipe from when I was in Boy Scouts. It's basically beef thinly sliced (I don't know what kind of cut) and put in a freezer bag with A1 steak sauce to marinate. Stuff that in there with some blue ice and by the time I reached the campsite it had soaked in nicely while remaining cold. Pulled out the pot, a bit of oil in a thimble Tupperware thing, and cooked it up. I also packed instant rice but pasta can work too to go along with it.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    @V1m this version of dirty rice from Paula Deen is pretty standard for a dirty rice recipehttp://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/dirty-rice-recipe.html

Left out the chicken gizzards.

My mom didnt use celery or bell pepper either.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BTW. If anyone is familiar with a chain soup kitchen called "Zoup" They have a 3-pepper chicken soup that is delicious...I would love to find out exactly how to make this at home. It's tomato based, black beans, corn, chicken, peppers.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Crap. I've put all this time and effort into losing a bunch of weight and getting into better shape and now it's all going to be for naught. What kind of monster comes up with the idea for Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Puff Pastry Waffles?!? D:

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Left out the chicken gizzards.

My mom didnt use celery or bell pepper either.

I'd much rather have your recipe - and commentary - than Mrs Deens.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Did I mention that we made shawarma.

Because our fridge is full of lamb still and it is glorious.

Oh by the way, I have a great recipe for dirty rice, too!

Here, now I will give it to you:

3 tbsp unsalted butter
    1/2 lb chicken gizzards, ground
    1/2 lb ground pork
    1 sm yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 sm red or green bell pepper, seeded & finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    3/4 cup diced eggplant, unpeeled
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
    1 bay leaf
    3 c chicken stock
    1/2 lb chicken livers, ground
    1 1/2 c rice
    4 green onions, thinly sliced

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken gizzards and pork. Cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about five minutes.

Add the yellow onion, bell pepper, celery and eggplant. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about four minutes.

Stir in the garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, black and white peppers, and the bay leaf. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 c of the chicken stock. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the chicken livers and the remaining 2 1/2 c stock; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 17 to 20 minutes or until the rice is just tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove from the heat, uncover and stir in the green onions.

I guess this recipe is originally from some... place... called Brigtsen's in New Orleans? Anyway it's really good and if people are weirded out by gizzards you can just lie and be like NOPE NO GIZZARDS HERE (which is what I did).

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Yeah, that Paula Deen recipe is pretty basic. I think it's a good starting point because it hits all of the core ingredients and you can just improve from there. I feel like you have to have chicken gizzards/liver, another protein (preferably pork), celery, onions, and bell peppers in the recipe. From there you can change the spices to your taste. I definitely suggest at least cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic, and salt.

I would never suggest dirty rice without chicken gizzards or liver. They just add a great, unique flavor.

I've never seen eggplant in dirty rice but now I want that in my life.

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    I was out in the woods and I found a chestnut tree that the squirrels can't pick clean. As soon as they are really ready I will be too. I haven't had them since I was a kid and I think those were horse chestnuts or something different. I'll have to read up on things. Does anyone know anything about em?
    017.jpg

• Options
    Did I mention that we made shawarma.

Because our fridge is full of lamb still and it is glorious.

Oh by the way, I have a great recipe for dirty rice, too!

Here, now I will give it to you:

3 tbsp unsalted butter
    1/2 lb chicken gizzards, ground
    1/2 lb ground pork
    1 sm yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 sm red or green bell pepper, seeded & finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    3/4 cup diced eggplant, unpeeled
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
    1 bay leaf
    3 c chicken stock
    1/2 lb chicken livers, ground
    1 1/2 c rice
    4 green onions, thinly sliced

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken gizzards and pork. Cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about five minutes.

Add the yellow onion, bell pepper, celery and eggplant. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about four minutes.

Stir in the garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, black and white peppers, and the bay leaf. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 c of the chicken stock. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the chicken livers and the remaining 2 1/2 c stock; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 17 to 20 minutes or until the rice is just tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove from the heat, uncover and stir in the green onions.

I guess this recipe is originally from some... place... called Brigtsen's in New Orleans? Anyway it's really good and if people are weirded out by gizzards you can just lie and be like NOPE NO GIZZARDS HERE (which is what I did).

I'm fine with gizzards, although tbh I'm not sure where I'd buy them from. But 1.5lbs of meat seems like a lot.

• Options
    Gizzards can be hard to find. Some chains sell them mixed with chicken hearts (ugh) for some reason. Mom uses a mix of pork and ground beef as well.. I'll have to dig out the receipt and post it later for you.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    What've you got against chicken hearts?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Frittata is the light

I'd take a picture but it looks ugly as hell

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    mmm frittata

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I've made my officemates jealous with delicious breakfast smells

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I stocked the cabinets with sesame oil, mirin, dashi, and rice vinegar.

Donburi here we come

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Great British Bake Off Episode 2:
    acvFfShl.jpg

FUCK YEAH I MADE THIS SPACESHIP, I AM SO PROUD OF THIS! GONNA WIN FOR SURE!

v7mTNEgl.jpg

VwsLwRRl.jpg

What the fuck do you mean "No", asshole? I will cut you. Get off my god damn show.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that spaceship sure is ... something.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Haha! Yesss I watched that too and thought exactly the same! The cold blue gaze of Mary Berry.

Some of those gingerbreads were magnificent.

• Options
    OK, so, I bought some ground beef this past Sunday. I ended up not using it when I thought I would and it sort of slipped my mind. It has been kept refrigerated at ~32°F since purchase and was fresh when I bought it (ground Sunday morning).

Would I still be able to eat it? I'm getting some varied info from around the web.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    made some Zucchini butter tonight

(1) 2-3 lb Zucchini (grated)
    1/4 cup (half stick) butter
    salt
    pepper
    smidge of minced garlic

grate the Zucchini and let drain in a colander. I smashed mine to get excess water out.
    melt butter in a largish sauce pan and add all other ingredients.
    let simmer (stirring occasionally) until it is a spreadable consistency.
    makes about a cup and a half of the most yummy stuff.

10606202_10152591372723279_3093499175146881819_n.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Frittata is the light

I'd take a picture but it looks ugly as hell

i recently realized you can make mini frittatas in extra size muffin trays, and put them between english muffins for the ultimate egg mcmuffinesque experience

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    OK, so, I bought some ground beef this past Sunday. I ended up not using it when I thought I would and it sort of slipped my mind. It has been kept refrigerated at ~32°F since purchase and was fresh when I bought it (ground Sunday morning).

Would I still be able to eat it? I'm getting some varied info from around the web.

Use your nose. Open it up, get a real good sniff, if it smells alright you're fine. Just don't make rare hamburgers with it. It might have oxidized and turned a little grey.

brDe918.jpg