Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    @Stale I hate to push it man, but it is 3:30 AM and I want some bugs and nuts. When is your cookbook coming out man?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just cook it, it'll be fine.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    Frittata is the light

I'd take a picture but it looks ugly as hell

i recently realized you can make mini frittatas in extra size muffin trays, and put them between english muffins for the ultimate egg mcmuffinesque experience

Eh, I'm happy without the english muffin

Though when I do this I've been lining the muffin tin with slices of ham which is an amazing crispy delicious thing

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    someone give me a cheap, easy veggie chili recipe stat

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »

just eat a habanero

broken image link
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    No idea how good this is, but the picture is sure making me hungry.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »

just eat a habanero

: |

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    @Stale I hate to push it man, but it is 3:30 AM and I want some bugs and nuts. When is your cookbook coming out man?

When I stop being a bitch and walk off this cancer bullshit.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Food Thread. i am getting a plane tonight and heading back to the East Coast USA.

There, I will find waiting for me soft pretzels, Philadelphia butter cake, Possibly a cheese steak, more than likely an amazing lunch at a Northeast Philly Deli. And then down to the Delmarva penninsula I will go. And there will be had chicken and slipper dumplings, a blue crab feast to end all blue crab feasts, and as much cherry pie as I can.

Get ready for me, stomach. I will conquer you all.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Food Thread, I want to make a pot roast, but every recipie I find online recommends I add in like tomato paste or ranch dressing mix or cream of mushroom soup all of which seem odd to me!

• Options
    it isn't.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ...tomato paste is odd?
    Like sure if you want to cut down on the sodium, skip the dressing mix or mushroom soup, but tomato paste is a standard staple ingredient to keep in your cupboard.

From the Good Eats cookbooks:
    1 2-pound blade-cut chuck roast
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    9 oz frozen pearl onions, cooked according to package instructions and drained
    2 large carrots peeled and chopped into 1 inch hunks
    6 cloves garlic sliced
    1 cup tomato juice
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    2 large russet potatoes, rinsed, scrubbed, and cut into 1 inch hunks
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped

Heat oven to 250°F
    Place a 12" cast-iron skillet over high heat for 2 minutes.
    Meanwhile make a big pouch with a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil and set aside.
    Rub both sides of the meat with salt and pepper and brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to foil pouch.
    Lower the heat to medium and add the oil, followed by the onion, carrots, and garlic. Stir constantly until the garlic is browned slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
    Add the tomato juice and vinegar and bring to a boil, cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Lif the roast with tongs and place half of the potatoes and half of the reduced mixture under the roast, then top with the remaining mixture and potatoes. Close the pouch and wrap tightly in another layer of foil. Triple fold the seams so the package is water tight.
    Place on middle rack of the oven and cook for 3 1/2 hours, or until a fork pushes easily into the meat. You may want to place half a sheet pan under the roast just in case it springs a leak during cooking.
    Remove from the oven and set the pouch aside, unopened, for at least 30 minutes. Serve with the vegetables, braisin liquid, and a sprinkling of thyme.

This is also way better if you just put it right in the fridge after it's cooled for 30 minutes and just reheat and eat the next day. Or shred leftovers and make beef sandwiches on crusty rolls the next day. Aww yeah.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Tomato paste is great, buy a pile of it and keep it in your pantry forever. You can use it for basically anything but chopped/whole tomatoes.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    hmm really? It just seemed odd, well in that case this is the recipe I'm going to make http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/slow-cooker-pot-roast.html

though I'm adding in potatoes because fuck a pot roast without potatoes

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I edited a recipe into my post. It can be adapted to a slow cooker, you might need a touch more liquid - beef broth would be fine.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    About to pick up some ground turkey. One of my favorite things to cook because it's easy and makes the house smell great. Taco/nacho night is toniiight.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What is a good beer chili recipe?

• Options
    What is a good beer chili recipe?

Any good chili recipe with beer added and equivalent amount of liquid omitted.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Mrs. Moon made cupcakes for co-worker's bday tomorrow

1535476_10204580084327064_738706077018730098_n.jpg
    S'more cupcakes. Not pretty... But pretty delicious. Graham cracker crust, Chocolate cake with chocolate chips, and topped off with marshmallows, Graham crackers and chocolate.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    So I started off with the idea of making sauteed zucchini with gruyere cheese. This ended up being a success:

X0KVq6I.jpg?1

But I soon realized that with six people eating dinner that wasn't going to be close enough to feed everyone. Enter the sloppy joes:

0QnLD5T.jpg?1

SO SLOPPY

xet8c.gif

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    zucchini recipe please!

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Click the photo!

xet8c.gif

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    so i tried a new thing with my bacon

before i put the bacon in the pan, i put in just enough water to cover the bottom. at high heat, it took about 3 or 4 minutes to boil away, leaving the half cooked bacon to finish in its own grease on medium

not only did it keep the grease from spattering everywhere at the start, it also gave it a really nice texture, crispy on the outside and firm & chewy inside. i want to try using this for a BLT, since it lets me get the seared outside i like without making it crumbly and dry.

i mean, obviously just putting the whole package of bacon on a tray in the oven is easier and results in more bacon than pan frying. but if you're just making one or two servings and it's a hot summer evening, not having to heat up the oven is nice

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

before i put the bacon in the pan, i put in just enough water to cover the bottom. at high heat, it took about 3 or 4 minutes to boil away, leaving the half cooked bacon to finish in its own grease on medium

not only did it keep the grease from spattering everywhere at the start, it also gave it a really nice texture, crispy on the outside and firm & chewy inside. i want to try using this for a BLT, since it lets me get the seared outside i like without making it crumbly and dry.

i mean, obviously just putting the whole package of bacon on a tray in the oven is easier and results in more bacon than pan frying. but if you're just making one or two servings and it's a hot summer evening, not having to heat up the oven is nice

Wait, you're telling me that a package of bacon isn't one or two servings?
    I've been living a lie! A delicious, salty, fatty lie.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    About to pick up some ground turkey. One of my favorite things to cook because it's easy and makes the house smell great. Taco/nacho night is toniiight.

Turned out fantastically. Delicious burritos followed by watching movies on the couch in a near food coma state.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Today I made fattoush and a cabbage and black bean soup. Also, black sesame ice cream. And then people came over and @pooka‌ brought cookies and it was lovely, and I forced everyone to watch Salma Hayek shove her foot in Quentin Tarantino's mouth.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Wait, you're telling me that a package of bacon isn't one or two servings?
    I've been living a lie! A delicious, salty, fatty lie.

i wish i could afford to eat a package of bacon with every meal. i'd die happily, if a little heart attackily

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I made these Patty Melts over the weekend. Pretty darn good and I'll definitely make them again, but I'll change two things.

First, I made the burger waayyy too big. Probably twice as big as they should have been. They were like a normal size for a large burger. That's fine for a burger since you want the patty to stand out as the main component, but for a Patty Melt it needs to be more complimentary.

Second, the whole "toast the inside of the bread first then throw butter in the pan to toast the outside" didn't work for me. It was probably my pan, but without buttering the bread as you normally would when making grilled cheese or something, it caused the bread to keep sticking to the pan. Ended up mangling the bread in the process and it didn't seem to add a whole lot to the sandwich anyway. Next time I'll probably skip that part and just toast the outside after spreading the butter on the bread.

The combination of toasted rye, melted american & swiss cheeses, sauteed onions, and burger was really tasty, though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Today I made fattoush and a cabbage and black bean soup. Also, black sesame ice cream. And then people came over and @pooka‌ brought cookies and it was lovely, and I forced everyone to watch Salma Hayek shove her foot in Quentin Tarantino's mouth.

Dusk 'til Dawn is so good!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Guys.

Food.

Steamed snow crab legs
    Steamed shrimps with old bay
    Steamed clams
    Steamed potaoes
    Corn on the Cob
    HUSH PUPPIES
    Funnel cake fries!!

My entire trip is all about the food!

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    It was my turn to get snacks for the department meeting this monday, so I made Twix cookies.

But I made way too many so now my fridge is filled with delicious cookies and I am going to get so fat.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Have I mentioned how much I love crockpots? Got a pork roast in there while I'm at work waiting for me to get home. Haven't decided what sauce to use on it. Got some Panda Express sauces (orange, mandarin, kung pao) or Baby Rays BBQ but honestly I'd like to try something that's not BBQ sauce for once on pulled pork.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    It was my turn to get snacks for the department meeting this monday, so I made Twix cookies.

But I made way too many so now my fridge is filled with delicious cookies and I am going to get so fat.

Flarney baby, its not a long trip to Cork and I'd love a cookie!

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Have I mentioned how much I love crockpots? Got a pork roast in there while I'm at work waiting for me to get home. Haven't decided what sauce to use on it. Got some Panda Express sauces (orange, mandarin, kung pao) or Baby Rays BBQ but honestly I'd like to try something that's not BBQ sauce for once on pulled pork.

It's not far removed from BBQ, but it's what I do with my pork that I smoke or slow roast for pulled pork: after I pull it, add some of my rub I used to it (you could substitute bbq seasoning of some sort if you don't have a rub) and toss it with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Throw it on a toasted bun, toss some thin sliced jalapeno on there or some quick-pickle red onion and you're in business.

• Options
    amish fooooodddddd!

Lebanon Bologna and cheese curds with onion cheese bread
    Fresh lemonade and sweet tea
    Whoopie Pies and Shoo fly pie
    And a smorgasbord, Roast beef, amish filling, mac and cheese, corn fritters, brussels sprouts, corn on the cob (did i mention in season?), and Amish corn chowder.

mmmm happy food coma.....

• Options
    Can I come over for leftovers?

• Options
    sure!

We're having thanksgiving for dinner tonight!

turkey and green bean casserole, mom's gonna make another shoo-fly pie (since the one yesterday was a bit disappointing). mmmshoo-fly pie. Oh, and amish pickled beets! yeeeeessssss

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    amish fooooodddddd!

Lebanon Bologna and cheese curds with onion cheese bread.

EXPLAIN THIS

• Options
    lebanon bologna is a very specific type of dry aged bologna. It has a very unique spiced flavor and the aging gives it a more meaty texture than most. kind of like a nice salami.

cheese curds are literally young cheese curds piled on a dish, or breaded and flash fried.

onion cheese bread is, wait for it, bread with both onion and cheese baked into it.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »
    amish fooooodddddd!

Lebanon Bologna and cheese curds with onion cheese bread.

EXPLAIN THIS

Allow me

Deliciousness.