Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    V1m wrote: »
    amish fooooodddddd!

Lebanon Bologna and cheese curds with onion cheese bread.

EXPLAIN THIS

Well, we went to Amish country and got some lebanon bologna and some roasted garlic cheddar cheese curds from the Stoltsfuz shop, and then went across the the bake house and got a small loaf of onion and cheese bread.

Edit: or what Stale said.

For today's epic food from home journal: It's my brother's birthday!

So we went out to this little creole place that he knows nearby.

SO. GOOD.

He had the crawfish gumbo, crawfish etoufee, red beans and rice, and some keilbasa.
    Husband and daddy both got the keilbasa po boy.
    Mom and I got the crab cakes.

Now, let me tell you about these crab cakes. they were amazing. Mostly crab, not a lot of filler. And they came paired with these just blow your mind parmesan grits. And mom had the asparagus, standard steamed. But I ordered the Brussels sprouts. My god. So good. And the whole plate was covered in this creamy butter and caper sauce.

And then dessert. Mom got beignets. Pretty standard. But I got a buttermilk pie. So freaking good. Just tangy and creamy and amazing.

The chef came out after we were all finished up to talk with us, ask us how we liked everything. I asked him about the Brussels, they were washed and quartered, then flash fried in a hot fryer and then taken out, tossed with a bit of butter, salt, pepper, and a LOT of parmesan cheese. He was absolutely gracious and seemed so absolutely chuffed that we had loved everything. I really really hope this guy gets the recognition he should. His food was fantastic. And for only it being him, another cook, and then the hostess, it was just a delightful lunch.

Also, the sweet tea was perfect.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Had spaghetti for dinner tonight.

Between that and lonelyahava's food descriptions

I need to hibernate. Wake me up when we have a functioning democracy.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Making salsa tonight with some beautifully smoked and dried chillies that I, for some reason, have been hanging onto for awhile.

Anyone got any recipes or methods? Basic salsa...no problems there. But I've never actually incorporated smoked dried chillies before.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2014
    I usually reconstitute them in liquid and then convert into a paste. But you could also pound them into a coarse powder.

edit: I'm not sure which would be best for retaining the smokiness. I'd be tempted to try both ways and see if there's any difference.

tynic on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh hey that Pot Roast happened
    984184_10102106038978008_373579133386116654_n.jpg
    It was delicious

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have a weakness for French-fried onions straight out of the can.

• Options
    Augh.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Making salsa tonight with some beautifully smoked and dried chillies that I, for some reason, have been hanging onto for awhile.

Anyone got any recipes or methods? Basic salsa...no problems there. But I've never actually incorporated smoked dried chillies before.

I'd grind them up into powdered form, and then mix them I to the salsa.

I use an old coffee grinder that I've marked "spices only".

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tonight, We're having thanksgiving!

Turkey breast, pumpkin pie, and green bean casserole.

• Options
    Green bean casserole is my favorite.

*sad sparkly eyes*

• Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is my MN state fair day. The cannoli stand I liked got leveled and they couldn't afford to rebuild and that makes me sad.
    Still, I am very excited for bad food decisions! Hello, deep fried pumpkin pie.

• Options
    I should have mentioned that @Stale is the one who gave me the smoked chillies.

Earlier today he mentioned that because they were a few years old they may have lost their potency.

Not so, I say!

...with tears running down my face and two nostrils that are on fire because I handled them, washed my hands and then rubbed my nose.

If anyone needs me, I'll be heading to the 7-11 to get milk....to dunk my face in.

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I found a new edible wild mushroom, the lobster. A mold that is parasitic on mushrooms creates these beauties. my photos.
    013-1.jpg

one of it's hosts, very common in my area.
    014-1.jpg

it's host is the peppery milk cap, it makes pepper milk drops when bruised. Too spicy to be edible, but the lobster organism transforms it's pepper flavor and makes it good eating. The bad ones and bad spots can be used to make a good dye.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    The confidence and balls you must have to eat mushrooms you find.

Good on ya, man. Please don't die.

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    these are pretty 'foolproof'. these taste like lobster, btw. kosher, vegetarian lobster.

i only eat very unique wild mushroom species with no look alike mushroom species. if you have high school biology you can avoid almost all trouble. some few people have allergies to any food, so try a bit and eat more later. you know all the poison spiders and snakes in your area, you'd know the few poison mushrooms and never have a problem as long as you were cautious.

I always avoid mushrooms that have a poisonous look alike, I don't care how sure someone is I will just eat something safer.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Last year this was one of my first hauls. They a type of Porcini and were DELICIOUS!

2013-07-24%2015.27.12.jpg

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    rub it on your lip, wait a half hour

rub it on your tongue, wait a half hour

eat a tiny nibble, wait a half hour

eat a larger amount, wait a half hour

If you're not dead or swollen then it's probably safe to eat. At least that's how I learned.

Tomorrow I have to make spaghetti again but this time I am making it with fresh pasta and handmade tomato sauce. Fuck yeah. :V

• Options

If you're not dead or swollen then it's probably safe to eat. At least that's how I learned.

Tomorrow I have to make spaghetti again but this time I am making it with fresh pasta and handmade tomato sauce. Fuck yeah. :V

You can also do this with things that are not mushrooms...

:winky:

• Options
    er wait you're supposed to rub it on your skin before lip. Forgot that step. I guess I'm dead now.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I should have mentioned that @Stale is the one who gave me the smoked chillies.

Earlier today he mentioned that because they were a few years old they may have lost their potency.

Not so, I say!

...with tears running down my face and two nostrils that are on fire because I handled them, washed my hands and then rubbed my nose.

If anyone needs me, I'll be heading to the 7-11 to get milk....to dunk my face in.

Good to know. I've never had any sit that long, I would have assumed they'd lose a bit over time.

The family don't fuck around when it comes to our chiles.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    Made a lemon meringue pie last night. Haven't been doing any baking or cooking outside of very simple, fast stuff I know by heart so it was fun doing something new.

10616191_10202682810091037_7343053096173088545_n.jpg?oh=ae074907fdde54ef50db8150914c4d30&oe=546A5262&__gda__=1416819828_80ed48774acf658436d9d2b5ecb30279

For some reason I always had it in my head that meringue was hard to make... seems like it just takes the patience to wait for it to really get to the proper stiff peak phase before pouring it over the pie. Same with the cornstarch/water mixtures, just patience for it to boil and thicken before moving on to the next step.

I used this recipe, it called for vanilla extract in the meringue which I used, but I'm thinking of using coconut extract next time instead. The husband doesn't mind the taste of coconut but he cannot stand the texture of shredded coconut so I have to be a little creative in getting it into recipes.

Taste test: I had a piece this morning for breakfast with a coconut latte and unghh so good! I wish I had more time/money to bake, it's so calming and relaxing for me.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Tonight I had pork chops.

2 Loin chops, rubbed with sea salt and fennel seeds, gently browned in butter along with half a red onion cut into strings. Turned the chops 4 or 5 times and finished by crisping the rind

Then I put the chops onto a plate in a warm oven while I fried up some sliced mushrooms (and some crushed & chopped garlic) in the pan

When the mushrooms had browned, I deglazed with half a glass of dry fino sherry and tipped in 1/4 pint of heavy cream. Stirred.

Returned the chops and simmered the whole caboodle gently for 2 minutes.

Ate them chops with some crusty bread for mopping up sauce and a glass of chilled white bordeaux.

Everything is fine.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

This is a poor policy, I'm sorry to say. There are several mushrooms that have toxins that while not immediately fatal will cause liver damage, and/or build up in your system and only be dangerous (and eventually lethal) after several exposures.

Morels are an example of these. They are delicious, but deadly if not prepared properly and poisonous enough that you should only eat them like once a year even then.

That said, I ate like seven different kinds of wild-picked mushrooms today. The porcini so were by far the best, the others were unfortunately undercooked, but it was still a great meal.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't think I could ever do wild-picked mushrooms, since it reminds me a little too much of fugu. Sure, if the person knows what they're doing then it's perfectly safe, but if they don't then there are no second chances. I'd rather get a meal where I don't feel like the Sword of Damocles is hanging over me.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    y'all worry too damn much

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Friday Night Cocktails and Chilling Menu:

Tapas Week:
    (Everything freshly homemade)
    Roasted tomatillo salsa with smoked chili peppers.
    Corn tortilla chips, with a hint of lime.
    Roasted red peppers in olive oil with roasted garlic and fresh basil.
    Crunchy chickpeas seasoned with cumin, garlic, salt, and smoked paprika
    Gambas al ajillo - Shrimp in olive oil, garlic, and lemon.
    Bread for dipping in the peppers and the shrimp "juice"
    Manchego cheese

The cocktail:
    While Sangria - pear, nectarine, blackberry, and raspberry macerated with 2 tablespoons sugar and a half cup of brandy overnight. Poured a bottle of pinot grigio into the pitcher this morning to let it all marry.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Downside to this summer being hot and dry: hot is super gross

Upside: the tomatoes are fucking amazing and I can't stop eating them

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

This is a poor policy, I'm sorry to say. There are several mushrooms that have toxins that while not immediately fatal will cause liver damage, and/or build up in your system and only be dangerous (and eventually lethal) after several exposures.

Morels are an example of these. They are delicious, but deadly if not prepared properly and poisonous enough that you should only eat them like once a year even then.

That said, I ate like seven different kinds of wild-picked mushrooms today. The porcini so were by far the best, the others were unfortunately undercooked, but it was still a great meal.

Citation needed.

False morels are poisonous and are easily distinguished from true morels.

True morels have been known to cause minor stomach issues if eaten raw, but if they're cooked there is no problem. Certainly not deadly. Never heard of a "only eat once a year" restriction

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I made some good roasted vegetables this weekend. Zucchini, potatoes, eggplant, red onion tossed with some dressing and baked in oven. Cooked 4 bone-in/skin-on chic breasts in a pan then transferred to veggie pan to finish. Crispy skin, good veggies.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, morels are fine to eat regularly as long as you cook them properly. Hydrazine is the toxic substance in morels and it boils off at right around 238F.

Trust me, you can eat a lot of cooked morels with no issues.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Hatch Chiles are the business y'all

The business

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I know it's not fine cooking or anything, quite the opposite, but I am pretty impressed with these Malay-Singapore instant noodles I picked up last week (Ibumie brand). I don't eat instant noodles very often but I figured why not give them a try? There are 5 separate packets in the bag: the typical dry seasoning, a chili powder packet, a thick soy/seafood sauce, a flavored oil, and a packet of fried shallots. Really good for the $.40 they cost me.

jgeis on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh yeah, I forgot I posted this in the love thread

went chicken neckin'

only caught 6 worth keeping (tossed back 7 females and 3 males that were too small)

but hey

steam em for 20 minutes in 1.5 cups water and 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of old bay and here we are

10540794_10152612968863279_5956603139381022534_n.jpg?oh=e19c007ab7be744049f7b811caee09b2&oe=547046F9

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    @SilverWind made bread today

Ever just sit and watch yeast rise, after you mix it into the warm milk and sugar? It's terrifying, you can actually see it grow as you watch it, and after a few minutes it's visibly splitting and heaving and gushing up white frothy bubbles, reaching, reaching to extend beyond the reaches of its warm measuring cup

Baking bread is weird

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Gluten-free bread due to @Wyborn's condition. It turned out well this time, mostly because I snagged some sweet rice flour that made the bread much chewier.

Gluten-free baking is often a challenge

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    i cooked up and ate the lobster mushrooms today, i had a sample yesterday to make sure they we agreeable to my stomach. They taste like lobster and stay very firm even after lots of cooking. the edges sear nicely. So from now on I have lobster dinner for the effort it takes to go to a spot and pick them up off the ground.

They dry well so after work I'll go get as many as I can. wash, slice, dry.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I managed to get rid of all the twix cookies from last sunday without eating them all myself.

So today I made snickers cookies. I guess I bake on sundays now. I'm not sure how this happened.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Hmm, I can't tell if this quiche tastes worse than usual because I was lazy and didn't measure how much cheese I put in OR because I was cheap and bought kraft instead of the fancy HEB gourmet stuff.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Three hours in mosquito infested woods let me gather five or more pounds of choice lobster mushrooms. Tonight is cream of mushroom/lobster bisque. After that I don't know what to make, lobster salad sandwiches seems doable.

there were enough out there that I only needed to take the very best. Love how abundant nature is. Some had been around fora bit so the season starts in mid august and will run until? From now on lobster in the summertime, excellent.

And speaking of wild mushrooms, look at this little angel. The destroying angel or death cap. Never eat one of these.
    [img][/img]016.jpg
    015.jpg

Foolproof on
  • Options
    mmm beach food.

salt water taffy
    Soft serve ice cream with vanilla and orange swirl
    And, the best thing. Thrasher's beach fries with salt and vinegar. Lots of malt vinegar.

mmmm beachiness