Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

1235791

Posts

  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i bought dutch cheese at a tiny dutch market which is the flavour equivalent of a punch to the jaw
    i mean it's great but i have to sit down and be quiet for a while afterwards

  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Hmm, I can't tell if this quiche tastes worse than usual because I was lazy and didn't measure how much cheese I put in OR because I was cheap and bought kraft instead of the fancy HEB gourmet stuff.

    Probably the Kraft. HEB is good stuff.

  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    mmm beach food.

    salt water taffy
    Soft serve ice cream with vanilla and orange swirl
    And, the best thing. Thrasher's beach fries with salt and vinegar. Lots of malt vinegar.

    mmmm beachiness
    Aww yeah thrasher's

    going to rehoboth on tuesday first thing I'm eating

    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    Hmm, I can't tell if this quiche tastes worse than usual because I was lazy and didn't measure how much cheese I put in OR because I was cheap and bought kraft instead of the fancy HEB gourmet stuff.

    Probably the Kraft. HEB is good stuff.

    I.... I actually forgot the salt.

    Distracted baking is dangerous guys.

    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Wait you can eat coffee beans?

  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You've never had chocolate covered espresso beans? You poor, poor boy.

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    No but now I am going to look for some.

  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    No but now I am going to look for some.

    They're popular right now, should be in any supermarket candy isle.

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I bet they have them at my favorite Coffee shop where I get my beans.

    Going to have to check next time I need to get some.

  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Hatch Chiles are the business y'all

    The business

    Hell yes. Roasted hatch chiles are so good.

  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna eat some food on a train. In a dining car. Yeah. So excited!

  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tonight I will attempt Chicken Coconut Milk Curry with cellophane noodles.

    we'll see!

  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    knitdan wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    rub it on your lip, wait a half hour

    rub it on your tongue, wait a half hour

    eat a tiny nibble, wait a half hour

    eat a larger amount, wait a half hour

    If you're not dead or swollen then it's probably safe to eat. At least that's how I learned.

    Tomorrow I have to make spaghetti again but this time I am making it with fresh pasta and handmade tomato sauce. Fuck yeah. :V

    This is a poor policy, I'm sorry to say. There are several mushrooms that have toxins that while not immediately fatal will cause liver damage, and/or build up in your system and only be dangerous (and eventually lethal) after several exposures.

    Morels are an example of these. They are delicious, but deadly if not prepared properly and poisonous enough that you should only eat them like once a year even then.

    That said, I ate like seven different kinds of wild-picked mushrooms today. The porcini so were by far the best, the others were unfortunately undercooked, but it was still a great meal.

    Citation needed.

    False morels are poisonous and are easily distinguished from true morels.

    True morels have been known to cause minor stomach issues if eaten raw, but if they're cooked there is no problem. Certainly not deadly. Never heard of a "only eat once a year" restriction

    Thanks for the correction. This seems to have been a translation issue, in Sweden there is no naming distinction between false and regular morels. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromitra_esculenta is one of the species my dad used to cook up for us, before new studies showed that even proper cooking didn't remove enough of the poison for them to be considered safe.

    Absolutely delicious. If he stewed some up I'd probably have a plate, poison be damned.

    Vic on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    rub it on your lip, wait a half hour

    rub it on your tongue, wait a half hour

    eat a tiny nibble, wait a half hour

    eat a larger amount, wait a half hour

    If you're not dead or swollen then it's probably safe to eat. At least that's how I learned.

    Tomorrow I have to make spaghetti again but this time I am making it with fresh pasta and handmade tomato sauce. Fuck yeah. :V

    This is a poor policy, I'm sorry to say. There are several mushrooms that have toxins that while not immediately fatal will cause liver damage, and/or build up in your system and only be dangerous (and eventually lethal) after several exposures.

    Morels are an example of these. They are delicious, but deadly if not prepared properly and poisonous enough that you should only eat them like once a year even then.

    That said, I ate like seven different kinds of wild-picked mushrooms today. The porcini so were by far the best, the others were unfortunately undercooked, but it was still a great meal.

    Citation needed.

    False morels are poisonous and are easily distinguished from true morels.

    True morels have been known to cause minor stomach issues if eaten raw, but if they're cooked there is no problem. Certainly not deadly. Never heard of a "only eat once a year" restriction

    Thanks for the correction. This seems to have been a translation issue, in Sweden there is no naming distinction between false and regular morels. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromitra_esculenta is one of the species my dad used to cook up for us, before new studies showed that even proper cooking didn't remove enough of the poison for them to be considered safe.

    Absolutely delicious. If he stewed some up I'd probably have a plate, poison be damned.

    Yeah, those are what we're talking about when we mention false morels. Real morels are these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella

  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    dear lord

    ok, sauteed chicken, onions, and red bell peppers with coconut milk mixed with curry powder, a bit of corn starch and lime juice is sex on wheels.

    cellophane noodles, however are gross.

    next time I make this (in a few days), I'll use rice

    1497576_10152618676558279_6414879087562820863_n.jpg

  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    for my second attempt at cooking I made a vegetable and bean soup

    fGnxdJ5.jpg

    since the last time was rather mild I tried to uh.. kick it up a notch? and due to my inexperience with spicing things I ended up with something that could blow your head off. but it was so good.

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I am making what I hope will be decent rolls.

    The dough is rising right now.

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am making what I hope will be decent rolls.

    The dough is rising right now.

    Oven as hot as it will go and definitely pre-heated to that temperature

    tray full of water in the oven so there's lots of steam in there

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    They turned out okay for some dough I threw together like that.

  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    doing some procrastibaking today, decided to try making blondies. First recipe that came up on google was very basic so I decided to add some amaretto.

    Just tasted them and I've concluded that boozy baking is on an entirely different level of wonderful than regular baking.

    recipe:
    adapted from smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/blondies-for-a-blondie/

    8 tbsp (1 stick) of melted butter
    1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
    1 large egg
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup amaretto
    pinch salt
    1 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour

    Pre-heat oven to 350F, lightly grease 8x8inch pan.

    Mix butter with brown sugar. Beat in egg, vanilla and amaretto. Mix in flour and salt. Pour into pan, bake for 20 minutes and check with toothpick.

    Devour.

  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Someone on my facebook feed shared a recipe for chocolate gravy today and it made me remember my friend's mom making it for me when I moved to Kentucky because out of all those weird Southern and Mexican breakfasts she was always trying to get me to eat, it was the only one I liked at all. Also it made me realize I was really dumb about food when I was 14. Also also it made me realize that was 17 years ago and I am old as balls. I can't believe I didn't like breakfast food until I was nearly 30.

  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    see also: red eye gravy

    and red-eye mayonnaise

    e: this post exists because coffee is kiiiinda like chocolate

    DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    if you haven't eaten red eye mayonnaise with either pork belly or ham

    then you have not yet lived

  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Alrighty! I don't know how much experience people have making gluten free food in here but I figured I'd ask for some advice.

    I love baking and I have a couple coeliac friends so I've been trying to do a few different things.

    I've got brownies and peanut butter cookies down but I've also been wanting to do something involving shortbread and that is proving difficult.

    Does anyone have any experience with shortbread? GF or otherwise? My big problem at the moment is it being too crumbly to use as a foundation for giant twix bars. So any advice on that end would be sweet.

    I wish I had taken pictures of my huge tins of baked goods today but they got eaten too fast...

    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Can you post or PM the shortbread recipe you're using now? All of my usual recipes are either still boxed up from a recent move or at school, and I won't be back there until Tuesday. I can try to look at what you're using now though and see if anything stands out.

  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Oxtail stew is what I'm doing today.

    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Braised pork shoulder.

    Cut onions and garlic and celery, salt shoulder, pepper shoulder, put everything in Dutch oven, throw in oven with some chicken broth, drink wine for an hour, turn it, drink wine for an hour, sit back and listen to everyone fellate you for basically turning on the oven.

  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So I learned the other day that Sugar-Free gummies are a thing.

    I haven't eaten any, per se, but I have had enough experience with sugar free candy (that is, the kind with sugar alcohol as a substitute) to know that there are consequences to eating this sort of thing without spacing apart your servings pretty carefully.

    But uh, a fair number of people apparently binged on them without realizing the consequences, and the reviews are basically a treasure trove of horror stories. Teehee.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    So I learned the other day that Sugar-Free gummies are a thing.

    I haven't eaten any, per se, but I have had enough experience with sugar free candy (that is, the kind with sugar alcohol as a substitute) to know that there are consequences to eating this sort of thing without spacing apart your servings pretty carefully.

    But uh, a fair number of people apparently binged on them without realizing the consequences, and the reviews are basically a treasure trove of horror stories. Teehee.

    This is wonderful.
    Then came the, uh, flatulence. Heavens to Murgatroyd, the sounds, like trumpets calling the demons back to Hell...

  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I have begun to sweat a sweat that is only meant for a man on mile 19 of a marathon. I have kicked out my legs out so straight that I am violently pushing the gentleman wearing a suit seat in front of me forward. He is not happy, I do not care. My hands are on the side of my seat not unlike that of a gymnast on a pommel horse, lifting me off my chair

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    There was, at one point during PAX, where 4 of us consumed 6.5 dozen oysters.

    We lived as kings and the world was ours to slurp.

  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I just made homemade spaghetti and meatballs

    everything from scratch from sauce to meatballs to homemade spaghetti

    It took four hours

    how the f did people do this back in the day

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    did you also raise and butcher the animal, you casual?

    i bet you didn't even murder the natives first, you damn scrub

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    On the subject of SF gummi bears, I see someone on Amazon had the idea of setting them in a candy jar on their desk in the office to trawl for those candy thieves who wait until you're away from the desk before pillaging your stash.

    Madican on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    did you also raise and butcher the animal, you casual?

    i bet you didn't even murder the natives first, you damn scrub

    fuck

    not a real chef I guess

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    seriously though i bet that was fun and rewarding

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I just made homemade spaghetti and meatballs

    everything from scratch from sauce to meatballs to homemade spaghetti

    It took four hours

    how the f did people do this back in the day

    4 hours seems a little excessive unless you were cooking for 30 people or something?

Sign In or Register to comment.